PDA

View Full Version : HELP, My car steering slums on one side

cyberdude
2010.02.11, 04:11 AM
The steering have been working before, then I hit a curve then this thing happened. After the incident, every time I turn ON my car, the steering slums on side. I know that the servo motor is working because after centering the steering then turning on the car, it immediately slums on one side and steering input from the transmitter is NOT working. I've tried the throttle and it's still working. Without any test instrument, my theory is that, the VR may have been burned. (I hope it's not my ASF board that is busted).

Have anyone experienced this problem in their car before? What did you do? Please help. Thanks.

simpleskin
2010.02.11, 11:48 AM
I had a similar problem and it drove me crazy for a few hours. I even took apart the chassis to inspect the servo gears. It turns out the problem was a faulty wheel nut that was self tightening and keeping one of the front wheels from spinning freely. I replaced the nut and now it's fine. Check to see if your front wheels are spinning freely and equally. Drag on one side or the other will cause your car to steer into the wall.

Tjay
2010.02.11, 12:03 PM
Alan:

then I hit a curve then this thing happened Is this your MR02?

Few thing you may want to check:

-basic one would be your toe bar. Check and make sure it's not out of place.

-Check you servo pot (potentiometer) and the servo gear that connects to it. It's probably not seated properly.

-this would be the last thing you'd check. Wire came loose on the board/servo...

Hope this helps and post some pics of your track YO! :D

cyberdude
2010.02.11, 07:12 PM
Thanks simpleskin and TJay. I've already opened up the chassis and replaced the POT. The steering still slums on one side. I've also noticed that the servo motor was humming and still trying to spin and heats up even though its already on one side. It looks like it does not recognize the POT's end point. The next I will be doing will be re-soldering the wires on my ASF board. After this, I don't know what is next aside from replacing the ASF board.

TJay.. what's new with FPR?

herman
2010.02.12, 01:33 AM
dang that's sad... what do you mean slums on one side? hope you get it fixed...

hpgod
2010.02.12, 11:36 AM
servo wires are swapped on the board:)
I have doen this before. The pot wire is different from a AM board to the 2.4 board. I swaped the wires on the board and it was fixed

cyberdude
2010.02.12, 08:10 PM
Herman.. the wheels turns to the left immediately after the car was turned on with no input from the transmitter.

dang that's sad... what do you mean slums on one side? hope you get it fixed...

cyberdude
2010.02.12, 08:25 PM
hi hpgod.. the used to be working.. actually working for about a year.. it just happened that i hit a curve. when i've picked up the car. the front wheels was already turned to the left. I thought that the steering rod have slipped. after opening up the chassis here were my observation:
1. the steering rod did not slip.
2. the servo motor was humming and hot.

servo wires are swapped on the board:)
I have doen this b efore. The pot wire is different from a AM board to the 2.4 board. I swaped the wires on the board and it was fixed

cyberdude
2010.02.12, 08:29 PM
sorry guys, i keep referring it as "CAR"... it's not a "car". it was my modified "monster truck". it does not have a servo saver.

mixrc
2010.02.23, 08:52 AM
Hey there.
May not be your problem, but give it a try. Open the chassis, and try to turn the gear wheels with your fingers. They may lock in some positions because of dust/sand. blow it clean, and lube. And to avoid repeat problems, cover your toe-bar cover by glueing a thin slice of sponge to it , so dust/sand does not enter so easy. Mike

cyberdude
2010.02.23, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the advice... I've already opened the gears still doing the same symptoms.. but, i'll follow your advice in covering the toe bar when i get the truck going again.

Hey there.
May not be your problem, but give it a try. Open the chassis, and try to turn the gear wheels with your fingers. They may lock in some positions because of dust/sand. blow it clean, and lube. And to avoid repeat problems, cover your toe-bar cover by glueing a thin slice of sponge to it , so dust/sand does not enter so easy. Mike