PDA

View Full Version : formula one fans rejoice!! SNEEK PEEK

MantisMMA
2010.02.15, 02:30 PM
im a big fan of F1 but not for the reasons that you may think. i like that fact that they are just simply the highest tech,fastest and quickest 4 wheel vehicles on earth (besides top fuel of course). i dont really keep up with driver changes and all of the drama etc etc. so since PN and KO are going to allow the F1 to be open this year, we as racers need to make sure that we support the class and as a manufacturer i am going to design and create high tech parts that will maek these cars the fastest on the track which is where they should be!! off of the top of my head some of the things we need are some serious front suspension upgrades, aerodynamics and the rear suspension is horrid!! its great that some have managed to tweak the cars to make them driveable but lets face it, they are not up to par! to me the steering just feels delayed no matter what you change and the rear suspension does not allow the lateral traction amount that it should. i have already designed a simply wicked rear suspension that incorporates a true four link with triangulated shocks!!! will start prototyping it in a few weeks.
at any rate here is the first project that i am working on and what you see is not for show (although it looks good) but it is for function and on my home track its allowing me to use 100% steering with new 30's (was at about 60%) and i am driving it like the MR03.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/ac90ba2f.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/31caecf4.jpg

chad508
2010.02.15, 02:51 PM
sure is nice to see some new stuff for f1. cant wait. keep up the good work

Flashsp-2
2010.02.15, 02:52 PM
Those are the same reasons that I love F1 cars, it just doesn't get any faster around a track. If you are going to bring mini-z F1 up to par, I just might have to finally bite the bullet and get one after all these years.

EMU
2010.02.15, 04:08 PM
Oh yea!!!! Been waiting for some new F1 stuff. Its my favorite car to drive... Very hard to setup, but amazing when you get it right.

pedrocamp
2010.02.15, 04:11 PM
Look forward to seeing some new parts for the F1s. They are big in our area, even though it's NASCAR country!

arch2b
2010.02.15, 05:04 PM
i welcome any new developments with the f1's! i am in desperate need to more steering without going to 20 deg tires. there has to be an inbetween for 30 deg tires that allow more steering.

MantisMMA
2010.02.15, 06:30 PM
has anybody noticed the pictures and what i did??

Arch i think the problem with the front suspension is there is no caster or static camber, oh wait thats whats in the pictures!! HAHAHA so you cant get enough steering with 30's hmmm i usually try and run 40's! probably diffferent RCP. i think with this setup you can run the softer tires with out the grabbiness that you usually get. im gonna test it out on a full track tomorrow and make a few variations next week. right now its got 1.5* static camber and 1* caster feels good so far

arch2b
2010.02.15, 09:10 PM
yep. just not to much to comment on without an explination of what were looking at exactly. nice cf isn't much of a useful comment :p

20's are too much and 30's are just a hair not enough for steering for me. 30 rears and i'm sliding out the rear. i've never been able to find that happy medium for my style. i'm looking for that little extra grip up front. just enough to keep me going where i'm pointed but not enough to spin me out.

pedrocamp
2010.02.15, 09:25 PM
Might be easier to tell with a little better resolution on the photos...
Are you pulling, or flexing, in and back on the plastic chassis arms with the carbon bits to get the caster and camber or do you cut the chassis?

If you could make a lower part to carry 03 kingpins and hinged upper a-arms that would be pretty cool.

MantisMMA
2010.02.15, 09:34 PM
Might be easier to tell with a little better resolution on the photos...
Are you pulling, or flexing, in and back on the plastic chassis arms with the carbon bits to get the caster and camber or do you cut the chassis?

If you could make a lower part to carry 03 kingpins and hinged upper a-arms that would be pretty cool.

the tops are shaved off to make room for the carbon plates and the upper hole is drilled out to .140 to allow the kingpin to angle in and back at the same time! i sketched out a way to make use of the 03 kingpins but the entire upper plate has to be made from billet. hopefully there is enough interest in F1 to warrant me making them but im gonna make at least one for myself!! but im gonna make custom upper arms so it still looks like formula 1.

pedrocamp
2010.02.15, 09:34 PM
Scale this down:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm11/cojono/F180small.jpg

J-Milz
2010.02.15, 09:59 PM
Yeah! LOL!!! :D

EMU
2010.02.15, 10:39 PM
I definitely want this for my F1...

Felix2010
2010.02.16, 12:34 AM
Those are the same reasons that I love F1 cars, it just doesn't get any faster around a track. If you are going to bring mini-z F1 up to par, I just might have to finally bite the bullet and get one after all these years.

Do it up Flash!!!:D I'ma join you:D:D:D

z3zinho
2010.02.16, 06:35 AM
It's nice to see someone picking up the F1 and develop some new parts for it. It's a really fun class to drive.

Just a couple of things i think you should look into, ackerman, and shorter wheelbase ,a couple of MM maybe but not enough that the car looks weird because the awesome thing about this cars is their scale look.

arch2b
2010.02.16, 07:44 AM
i'm sure you will have enough buyers for a small run. i'm in :)

MantisMMA
2010.02.16, 08:07 AM
glad to see that there is some decent interest! so my plan of attack will be:

upper arms with static caster/camber (testing today)
front wheel/covers (will allow the front to slide whenever you hit the wall)
motor mount (dont think there is room to shorten the wheelbase though, major project)
front end 03 style conversion (this will be an intense project because the entire front end will need to be replaced along with the servo cover)
CNC cut wing patterns (cheap and easy to replace when you break, they will be assemble yourself)
someone sent me some nice front wing /bumper designs that i am going to make for them(cant say who it is, but they are serious about it)

hrdrvr
2010.02.16, 08:20 AM
Im always in for F1 when its on the class list! I cant wait to see what you come up with Mantis!

From the blurry pics, I thought you might be doing a flex plate upper suspension with active camber :D I cant make out nay psrings on those knucks.....

Are you planning to make the front bumper within the same width limits as the Kyosho one? One of the rules at our track is that any aftermarket bumpers must be more narrow than the front wheels/tires. Open wheel racing isnt "open wheel" racing if they are tucked in :D

cosmicsoul
2010.02.16, 08:25 AM
Make it and they will buy it! I will any way.;)

arch2b
2010.02.16, 08:55 AM
just curious but what improvements are to be had/made over the current atomic or pn motor mount?

top on the list would be compatibility with the new kyosho disc damper kit.

interested to see the wheel covers. do you plan to make them scale replicating the covers currently used in f1?

JuniorWKR
2010.02.16, 09:48 AM
i am definitly interested in anything F1.... this may really bring the class back... cant wait...

mk2kompressor
2010.02.16, 11:24 AM
the wheel covers are a good idea,im currently using super glue on the sidewalls so they slide off the rails

Cherub1m
2010.02.16, 11:54 AM
Great!!! I will be waiting patiently for the new performance parts.

MantisMMA
2010.02.16, 04:04 PM
just curious but what improvements are to be had/made over the current atomic or pn motor mount?

top on the list would be compatibility with the new kyosho disc damper kit.

interested to see the wheel covers. do you plan to make them scale replicating the covers currently used in f1?

its not the pod as much as it is the entire design, having those long carbon side plates allow the wheelbase to change entirely too much and the rear end in general just sux!! not near the amount of traction as the 02/03's that with the front end having entirely too muc bit in general makes the cars do wierd things when you are driving them, they should not be so hard to drive in general. has anyone else notice that the car dirves better without the wing?? if you press the wing down the chassis goes up......that aint good!! any downforce that you get actually raises the center of the chassis.

the wheel covers will actually double as the wheel nut so i will sell them fully round and you will have to trim yourself because there is no way to know where the lead thread on the axle starts.

after driving the new front end today i got good news and bad news, good is that it actually works quite well but totally overcomes the rear. so im gonna try and absurd amount of caster next week. and this was with 4* of camber!! i really hate the rear end of these things

arch2b
2010.02.16, 04:18 PM
ah, thanks for the detailed description.

yes, i find my f1 difficult to drive because i'm always fighting too much steering or not enough rear traction. i have not been able to find a comfortable middle ground in all this time and have adjusted my driving to suit the chassis which means i'm going slow and smooth.

there have been times where my f1 works brilliantly only to take it to another track and it fails completely. other times i feel it does well only to take it out of my box a week later and it's very different even on the same track.

basically, the f1 is a fickle b*&%. i love racing them however so i keep at it.

by the time your done with the front end and rear end it sounds like we won't have much of the stock chassis left. i'm not complaining mind you. it's easy to buy a replacement stock chassis to begin this project f1 vs. hacking the only operational one i have by simply transplanting the board and servo.

what makes the wheel cover tricky is, knuckle shafts varry in length. some are short, some are very long depending on the brand.

can't wait to see what you come up with!

MantisMMA
2010.02.16, 05:53 PM
the cover will replace the nut so its not really going to matter much!!! i agree that they are finicky bitches, learned that today it really pizzed me off!!

mini-z
2010.02.19, 11:52 AM
Looking good M, please get in touch RE stocking this stuff in the Shop when you get a chance! :)

MantisMMA
2010.02.19, 11:24 PM
Looking good M, please get in touch RE stocking this stuff in the Shop when you get a chance! :)

will do man, new machine coming soon and then things will happen faster!

MantisMMA
2010.02.20, 07:01 PM
ok since we are building this F1 together, here are some of the thoughts that i am going through with this car! please give me some feedback. ok well the front end prototype works but since the back is sooooo bad it cannot keep up unless you go with hard tires up front and that kinda defeats the purpose! to me the rear plate system just allows the wheelbase to move around too much and there is no "pivot point" that you can put a finger on point blank not only are the plates too long they should not be on the outside. now i know that you dont really have a choice of where they can go and for what it is it has worked but we all know it can be better. it was built for space requirements first and functionality second. as soon as my carbon comes in i will test out a few more setups and then the upper arms will be for sale, as of right now i just think it has too much bite for the rear so im gonna attempt to fix that via caster. here are some better pix of what i have done:

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/DSCN2131.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/DSCN2133.jpg

so i shaved down the top of the tower bar just enough to allow the carbon plate to fit under the kingpin slot (.705 cut to .650) and then drill teh top hole of the tower bar out to .140 to allow the kingpin to move around for different caster/camber

LadyFox_VT24
2010.02.25, 03:07 PM
Scale this down:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm11/cojono/F180small.jpg

Wow! very nice i would like to see this on my F1.:D

tudor_47
2010.03.04, 05:13 PM
I'm curios , any fixes/ideas for the rear?

We do need something to make F1 quicker and easier to work with.
Escpecially now that PN is īletting quicker motors into the F1 class.

MantisMMA
2010.03.04, 08:49 PM
I'm curios , any fixes/ideas for the rear?

We do need something to make F1 quicker and easier to work with.
Escpecially now that PN is īletting quicker motors into the F1 class.

yea i have some ideas already put to paper, new machine coming in about 10 days or so so by the end of next month i should have some protypes in action. the rear end is horrible at best!!

tudor_47
2010.03.05, 01:20 AM
excellent!

MantisMMA
2010.03.31, 09:02 AM
ok, finally got my new CNC 4 axis mill in this past friday and i have been making parts every since !! so i now have the front towers ready for sale (pre-order til monday) and they will be ready to ship on tuesday and the final specs are 2*static camber and 1.5* static caster, this really makes the car easier to drive. they are 14.00 shipped. i am open to different positions and if you purchase the first set i will offer a discount on the next set if you want different specs. i am also working on a DDS setup for the PN mount as well as some better carbon side plates. and a wing mount that doesnt raise the chassis when you put pressure on it!! PM for pre-order

arch2b
2010.03.31, 09:10 AM
can you provide installation pictures?

would an mr-03 style (spring over) front end be feasible?

chad508
2010.03.31, 10:09 AM
i too would like to see a pic. also sending you a pm about some possible 03 parts

mleemor60
2010.03.31, 11:00 AM
Marcus. Please put me down for the F-1 front end parts.

MantisMMA
2010.03.31, 12:07 PM
the pic is on post #29 is the tower bars
an 03 front end is definately possible but because of how bad the rear is i want to fix that problem first. the tower bar gives you more steering in general but with less Grabbiness going into the turn and less exiting one the front unloads, these are two spots that typically suck on the F1. i am planning on making an entire rear mount system but i figured since most of you like the PN rear i will try and make it work first, once i get it dialed in i will go back to the front and design some type of 03 type front suspension. Arch i will hove some simple install pix by friday. in a nutshell you have to grind away the top of the tower enough so that the 1mm tower bar can fit under the pin (if you grind away too much its ok because the tower bar has some pring tension and will actually pull the pin up slightly!) and then drill a .140 drill on just the top part of the tower to allow the kingpin to angle in all directions. but i will post some pix and possibly a video soon. i also have a website coming soon too!

MantisMMA
2010.03.31, 12:13 PM
paypal 14.00 to muscletexx@yahoo.com for pre-orders/orders. they will ship out friday or monday. or 2 sets for 25.00!!

MantisMMA
2010.03.31, 03:16 PM
ok here is my first attempt at something better for the rear! testing tomorrow so we will see what happens notice the REAL thin side carbon plates its a differnet type of carbon than typically used. i really dont like the side plate system but if i can get them to act like i want them to i may keep it, im going to try some thin g10 ans see how that goes but ultimately id like to have a "MR" type center which i will try and make tonight or tomorrow.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/791d3385.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/339c061c.jpg

MantisMMA
2010.03.31, 03:16 PM
oh and it clears the body with very little clearancing!!

arch2b
2010.03.31, 03:27 PM
answers my 1st question.

those thinner plates look very delicate. i've broken many of these in collisions and it seems like those would snap easily. is the new material any stronger than the kyosho cf plates?

i'm not opposed to a new rear end entirely provided it's better. i can always sell my pn motor pod.

MantisMMA
2010.03.31, 05:01 PM
its thicker than the Kyosho ones, this material is quite a bit stronger and more flexible, i dont know if it will break or not, only time will tell!! its alot of involvment in making a new pod and im going to do it but in the mean time hopefully this will work better than what we have.

MantisMMA
2010.04.06, 10:43 PM
as you guys can tell i am feverishly working on the F1! tomorrow i will release the final version of the wing mount with some pix!