PDA

View Full Version : PN Pan bodies

dvsstrike
2010.02.16, 09:08 PM
just a quick question. are pn pan bodies supposed to be weak? i finished painting mine on sunday and finally drove it. then it happened.. knicked a corner and the whole left corner shears right off!! right now i'm pissed and now wondering if they are all like this or do i have to re inforce the front?
thanks

VAzRACER
2010.02.16, 10:27 PM
You need to reinforce the front of them. I painted two, one for pan stock and one for pan mod and they both ripped the same corner off in the first five minutes of practice.

I use a peice of 1mm thick carbon fiber and cut it to fit in the front end and ca it in and use a little bit of hot glue. Just cut a strip about 3/8" wide and trim it to fit the front of the body.

I fixed both bodies with the carbon sheet after the corners were taken off and both have stayed together since.

Here is a link for some different sized 1mm carbon sheets. This is the same place I got the stuff from and it is very nice.

http://www.protechcomposite.com/servlet/the-Carbon-Fiber-Sheet--dsh--dsh--Glossy-%26-Satin-Finish-cln-1.0mm-Carbon-Fiber-Sheet/Categories

MikeL
2010.02.17, 03:11 PM
I wonder if this is an issue with newer ones? I have one that is over a year old, it was abused before I got it, and abused when I drove it, with no issues. My friends atomic would crack right near the front clip after a few good hits.

VAzRACER
2010.02.17, 03:41 PM
I wonder if this is an issue with newer ones? I have one that is over a year old, it was abused before I got it, and abused when I drove it, with no issues. My friends atomic would crack right near the front clip after a few good hits.

It's funny you say that bacause I also painted one about a year and a half ago, raced it and then gave it to a friend when I painted the new ones I mentioned. He still has it and races it to this day with no reinforcment at all. We thought the same thing you did.

dvsstrike
2010.02.18, 07:28 AM
thanks for the replies. but broke another one. the plastic has no give. i guess i will just have to re inforce them now. but now i have an ugly pan body with big friggen cracks in it

hrdrvr
2010.02.18, 08:32 AM
I went over a year without breaking a pan car. It was an un-reinforced used one that Grant gave me in '08. In the last 4 months Ive probably broken three, and had a few more get broken while being loaned out. I cant tell you how many have been broken at our loal track (probably in the dozens) in that time frame.

The two things we are doing: 1) reinforcing the front end with CF or heavy duty plastic. 2) Switching to ATM VDS bodies which are more flexible, and seemingly more durable. FWIW, We have seen VDSs break too, and they benefit from reinforcement as well. The breakage rate is just no where near what it is is with the PN design.

bermbuster
2010.02.18, 09:39 AM
im liking this thread.....
I have/had older pn pan car bodies that held up great.
I purchased 2 new ones last year and they broke right away.....
I have a feeling the plastic has changed and the bodies are now more brittle....

chad508
2010.02.18, 09:46 AM
i was told by my boss once, that you cant make money when your product last forever. its bad when products are designed to brake. not saying this is what pns doing. just what i see in my field

briankstan
2010.02.20, 06:15 PM
it you reinforce the front you shouldn't have any problem. the design and the way the front mounts to the chassis leads to them breaking where they do. I also have the ASC bodies that break in the same place.

just get you some CF and make a front brace. :)