PDA

View Full Version : Race Event - Sat. 2/20/10 7pm - Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti, MI - Mini-ZRacer.com Event

hobbycar
2010.02.17, 06:42 PM
Join us for another Ann Arbor Mini-Z GTG on Saturday February 20th, 2010. Bring your Mini-Zs (2WD, AWD, and F1s), DNanos, Iwavers, XMods, Micro-Ts, and Epochs, etc.

New people are welcome as always! Everyone is friendly and helpful and we have lots of fun! :)

NOTE: here's the easy to remember URL to keep up to date with our events: http://www.mini-zracer.com/annarbor

Please bring $10 to cover the cost of the race night (one fee for the whole night of practice and racing - a great value!).
Reminder: You can now pay your entry fees online (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=19617&cat=485&page=1).

NOTE: Transponder rental is $3 (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=20512) for the entire night if you do not own one.

The event starts at 7pm and is in Ypsilanti, MI (just southeast of Ann Arbor). The address is:
3140 Carpenter, Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Reminder that Dojo 4 is now 3140 Carpenter - park around the back of the building and use the back door to since the storefront section is closed when we start.

------------------------------------------
Get your orders into http://Shop.TinyRC.com early and you can choose to pick it up at the GTG this Friday to save on shipping costs.

Post here to let us know what time you plan to come and what time you need to leave.
------------------------------------------

We have started our new Ann Arbor Mini-ZRacer.com season! This season will run from February to June. See the image below as an example of the Track Layout we will be running.

We are planning on having 3 Mini-Z classes:

Stock (including both 2WD and AWD) (Started last week - Note: you get 2 Drops)
Formula 1 (Starting in March)
Modified (Starting in March?)

NOTE: We will be doing qualifying based on fastest lap instead of doing our standard qualifying heats.

See you all Saturday, this should be a blast! Bring a friend, and maybe we'll see some old faces too!

-hobbycar

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29073&stc=1&d=1264375196

Jerrymor
2010.02.18, 11:49 AM
What time will qualifying be?

Can we agree on a time? Maybe 9:30 - 10:30

Hippo
2010.02.18, 09:14 PM
I'll be there. Save a transponder for me!

mini-z
2010.02.19, 11:33 AM
What time will qualifying be?

Can we agree on a time? Maybe 9:30 - 10:30

I think it'll be hard to set a fixed schedule until we've got the new format a bit more down pat etc. - this week for example I know Norman won't be able to make it as early as usual and he's typically the first one there after me, so that'll be one less person to help w/ track setup etc. My goal is 8-10pm (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=374782&postcount=10) once things are running smoothly - do you remember how long track setup took the past couple of races though, I don't? :)

mini-z
2010.02.19, 11:36 AM
I'll be there. Save a transponder for me!

Funny you should say that:

Ann Arbor Mini-Z Dojo Transponder Rental (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=20512)

:):cool:

mR.C
2010.02.19, 05:14 PM
Paid with Paypal, sorry if that isn't the preferred method.

Wondering if anybody has a used M8 radio w/am module they wish to sell me. I remember someone last time said they might but I've forgot his name.... Had the really hooked up F1?

hobbycar
2010.02.19, 07:46 PM
Paid with Paypal, sorry if that isn't the preferred method.

Wondering if anybody has a used M8 radio w/am module they wish to sell me. I remember someone last time said they might but I've forgot his name.... Had the really hooked up F1?

Hey Cole, I'm the one with M8 (backlit edition) w/ Mini-Z AM Module. I actually Private Messaged (PM'd) you here on the forums about it but you may not know how to access your messages. I'll bring it to the AA GTG.

I also have a bunch of other items I need to sell. But I haven't been able to make the time to take pics and list it properly.

Here is a quick list of Mini-Z related items off the top of my head:

2 used Mini-Z F1s (AM)
Mini-Z F1 bodies (used)
Mini-Z F1 parts (incl. a bunch of various tires)
MR-02 Ball Diff
MR-02 Damper Plate System
MR-02 Alloy Motor Pod
Bunch of AAA battery sets that would be good for practice
Helios Mini-Z 27Mhz AM Module
Helios Spectrum Module and Receiver
Working AM Mini-Z PCBs
MR-01 parts

If you are interested in any of the items above let me know and I'll bring them to the AA GTG to check out.

-hobbycar (Norman)

hobbycar
2010.02.19, 07:49 PM
Funny you should say that:

Ann Arbor Mini-Z Dojo Transponder Rental (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=20512)

:):cool:

Oops. I forgot to include that in the original announcement post. It has now been updated.

-hobbycar

wolfman
2010.02.20, 11:47 AM
see you there!

hobbycar
2010.02.20, 01:45 PM
Like D said, I'm going to be late tonight. Hopefully before 10pm.

But don't wait for me.

-hobbycar

Jerrymor
2010.02.21, 12:28 PM
I think it'll be hard to set a fixed schedule until we've got the new format a bit more down pat etc. - this week for example I know Norman won't be able to make it as early as usual and he's typically the first one there after me, so that'll be one less person to help w/ track setup etc. My goal is 8-10pm (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=374782&postcount=10) once things are running smoothly - do you remember how long track setup took the past couple of races though, I don't? :)

Rant.....
The schedule was terrible last night. Does anyone else agree?

We should be finished by midnight every time.

Jerry

mini-z
2010.02.21, 05:46 PM
Absolutely! I think the next thing we need to work on is arrival times. I introduced open fastest-lap quali this season based on observations that even with as few as three drivers per main, we seemed to be continually waiting for one or more racers to finish charging/fixing/etc. in order for their quali or main to start, holding up the show more and more. But if the track isn't assembled and only a fraction of our membership is present, we can't even start quali. Let's be frank: anyone who isn't there by 7:30pm is effectively forfeiting their right to complain about the schedule and needs to realize that they are contributing to the degradation of the overall timeline. We should be done setting up the track by 8, but if I recall correctly, there were only maybe 2-3 people by then.
One thing that went phenomenally well was tear-down - I don't even know what happened, I went to close up the lap counter etc. and when I got back it was just taken care of - we need to try to make other things work that well! :) This is a club, and while we've not really been assigning "Dojo Jobs" like we used to, every member needs to pull their weight for us to succeed. I can just about handle running the lap counter and shop, a quali and a main (with no time to set my car up etc.) - anything else that gets added to my plate is going to cause breakdowns elsewhere. I don't know if everyone understands how much time, money, and effort I put into running this, and I don't expect appreciation, that's not what I'm doing it for - I just want to race and hang out with my friends, and that's worth however many hundreds of dollars a month, and bleeding a few hours from my kamikaze schedule. I was there from 7pm to IIRC past 4am last night - no one else can say that. In case it isn't clear, race fees do not cover a fraction our monthly rent, so I'm subsidizing those heavily. I'm responsible for organizing our events, being there to let everyone in, and (unfortunately) cleaning up after they're gone. I am not looking for pity or appreciation or anything - I am just putting my cards on the table that I'm already spread as thin as I can go, which means I'm counting on the rest of the team to pick up the slack. Yesterday I had to make sure everyone was on top of ordering food, and then kick-start it again when everyone got sidetracked; I had to get all of the track down from storage when I should have been setting up the computer; I had to constantly track people down to make sure they were charged or working or ready to start while no one replied to my calls from behind the lap counter. This is all stated with no emotion, I'm not upset or feeling unappreciated or anything like that, I just want to recap where things are at in order to frame what I'm proposing as a solution. If anyone reads this as a rant or whine or anything other than a series of unadorned observations, they are misreading it completely. :)

First, everyone needs to take a "if you see a piece of litter, pick it up" approach, and do their part for the Dojo. Examples of this are Norman taking over the official thread posting for me after observing that I was having difficulty posting them far enough in advance, and Chuck always being one of the first to arrive and last to leave, ensuring he's done his part with track setup/teardown (and Chuck, Derrick and Jerry vacuuming the track when it needs it, without ever being asked). And Jason continuing his original Dojo Job of Food Courier! When you arrive, if the track is not already set up (if it is, you are late, and are already at a deficit to your fellow Dojo members who were there to set it up, and should be figuring out how you're going to make it up to them), the first thing you do, other than perhaps putting your cells on to charge, is start building the track. We all love our sub-Clubs, but every minute that the track is not ready to go is another minute added to our time line; yesterday, I had to be the one pulling track from storage - when I should have been setting up the lap counter so we could start quali as soon as it was built - because barely anyone had shown up in the first hour. The track should be completed by 8pm, we shouldn't have just started designing the layout.
My thought here is that for the next race, quali will end at 9pm. It won't have a start time - track and computer setup will begin at 7pm, and the faster we get everything done, the more time we have for quali. Understand the difference between this and quali starting at 8pm. In that scenario, no one would be incentivized to show up until 8, as by doing so they could avoid having to help w/ setup, while knowing they didn't miss anything. If we just set the cutoff time at 9, then the more people that show up early and the faster we get set up, the more track time everyone gets and better chance they have in quali. We then have from 9-10:30pm to wrench, hang out, play w/ cameras/helis/netbooks/robots/PSPs (not targeting anyone at all here - I'm in as many Dojo Clubs as anyone else and want to make sure we preserve that tradition too!), eat, etc. - with mains starting at 10:30pm sharp. There will always be special circumstances, but, I think at least at first we should probably start being pretty strict, and if you are not ready when your main starts, your penalty will be the number of laps that everyone else put on you while you were failing to prepare (and, surely everyone can be ready to go by 10:30?). I think 20 minutes should be enough between mains (10 minutes for the main, 10 minutes in between), and any investigation of dropped laps will need to be done after. That puts us at 11:30 for 2 Stock Mains and 1 F1. Sound good? :):cool::)
Another thing that went amazingly well yesterday in addition to tear-down was the record-setting number of online registrations we had - that was a big help, and I think it'll be even more important with the new Quali-til-9 format. Maybe we should even add Frequency and Transponder fields so we can be completely organized before we hit 7pm?!
Please let me know your feedback on this idea, the only reason we are doing this is to have fun, so, of course we should all be doing everything we can to make it as enjoyable as possible for everyone! :):cool::)

hobbycar
2010.02.21, 06:24 PM
Rant.....
The schedule was terrible last night. Does anyone else agree?

We should be finished by midnight every time.

Jerry

EDIT: I started this post before D posted his; but posted it way afterwards - that what happens when you have kids to take care of :D. I'll have to go thru and edit based on what is posted there.

----------------

We definitely need to get better and I think we will if everyone pitches in to try to keep us on schedule. (At least track teardown was super fast last night :D)

I think midnight is a reasonable time to shoot to be done with our Stock Class Main Races. And when we add in F1 (which we will be doing next time), I still think we should be able to be done by 12:30.

Here is a proposed schedule based on what I've observed. Let me know your thoughts (am I missing anything?).

7:00pm AA GTG officially starts
8:15pm Finish Setup Track (incl. re-arranging screwed-in barriers, pulling down all the RCP from storage, etc)
8:45pm Finish Payment collection and Freq and Transponder allocation
9:00pm Finish Setup of ZRound (connect to bridge, simple test, register all drivers)
9:00pm - 9:15pm 1st Stock Open Qualifying
9:25pm - 9:40pm 2nd Stock Open Qualifying
9:50pm - 10:05pm 3rd Stock Open Qualifying
10:15pm - 10:30pm 4th and FINAL Stock Open Qualifying
10:45pm - 11:00pm 1st F1 Open Qualifying
11:10pm - 11:25pm 2nd and FINAL F1 Open Qualifying
11:30pm - 11:40pm Stock B Main
11:50pm - 12:00pm Stock A Main
12:10am - 12:20am F1 Main
12:20am - 12:30am Track Teardown

-hobbycar

onrailz
2010.02.21, 08:22 PM
Agree with all above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a really great group right now!! We need to do our collective best to work together and comply with the time guidelines.

Teardown last night was totally as easy as it should be every time. If only the track setup went as well. I'm guilty of the "show up whenever" syndrome too but I agree that as we get to be a bigger group we need to have a schedule that works for everyone.

Lets all try to adhere to the schedule that Norman posted above starting with the next event. I will be there helping setup by 7pm.

See you all soon!

arch2b
2010.02.21, 08:51 PM
for clubs, it takes a team effort :) our club has almost always been very good about helping with setup, teardown, etc. the toughest part by far has always been to have everyone show up ready to race.

i both sympathize with you guys and amazed. i really don't know how you guys pull off late night club racing. wrapping up by 7pm is a late night for us.

seanp2k
2010.02.27, 01:40 AM
7:00pm AA GTG officially starts
8:15pm Finish Setup Track (incl. re-arranging screwed-in barriers, pulling down all the RCP from storage, etc)
8:45pm Finish Payment collection and Freq and Transponder allocation
9:00pm Finish Setup of ZRound (connect to bridge, simple test, register all drivers)
9:00pm - 9:15pm 1st Stock Open Qualifying
9:25pm - 9:40pm 2nd Stock Open Qualifying
9:50pm - 10:05pm 3rd Stock Open Qualifying
10:15pm - 10:30pm 4th and FINAL Stock Open Qualifying
10:45pm - 11:00pm 1st F1 Open Qualifying
11:10pm - 11:25pm 2nd and FINAL F1 Open Qualifying
11:30pm - 11:40pm Stock B Main
11:50pm - 12:00pm Stock A Main
12:10am - 12:20am F1 Main
12:20am - 12:30am Track Teardown
-hobbycar

This works great for me as I work until "7" which usually means 7:30 and I'm 30 minutes away (in Dearborn). I do live right around the corner, and it's even on the way so I can drop by my house and pick up GF / gear and be there by 8-8:15. Sorry I can't be there earlier to help set up, but I'll try to help in some other way if I can figure something out. I have a mini now BTW and more spare parts than I know what to do with (thanks @builthatch!), really looking forward to getting some practice time on the track!

What is etiquette for slow / noob racers? I don't want to hit any of you on the track and mess up your bodies or anything, but I can't get better at driving until I have a few hours under my belt. Any suggestions are welcome for tips on improving my driving (I've read lots of threads elsewhere on the forums that are helpful, but if someone wants to offer constructive criticism when they see me racking up laps I'm all ears!). I have a decent radio (Futaba 2PL) so I can turn down the max. throttle and just practice getting consistent first.

Re: the aforementioned schedule, it also leaves time afterward for other sub clubs :D but D probably has to lock up at night, so depends on how late he's willing to stay.

Cheers!

EDIT: Can we confirm that the next meet is on March 6th? Also, is the mini track laid out any other time for practice? Right now, all I have is the low-trac carpet at work and on the top floor in my apt. bldg!

Jerrymor
2010.02.28, 02:48 PM
Agree with all above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a really great group right now!! We need to do our collective best to work together and comply with the time guidelines.

Teardown last night was totally as easy as it should be every time. If only the track setup went as well. I'm guilty of the "show up whenever" syndrome too but I agree that as we get to be a bigger group we need to have a schedule that works for everyone.

Lets all try to adhere to the schedule that Norman posted above starting with the next event. I will be there helping setup by 7pm.

See you all soon!

I agree with Chuck. I will be there at 7pm. I will also help to keep the schedule

Jerry