PDA

View Full Version : anyone tried 64 pitch

mk2kompressor
2010.02.19, 04:42 AM
as title,im currently running an atm diff with a 9t pinion but need a tiny bit more punch

Programmers
2010.02.19, 05:25 AM
You represent the bleeding edge of Micro RC man, you should be telling us how it goes lololol! ;) :D

mk2kompressor
2010.02.19, 06:11 AM
:p

i know,wanted to see if there was enough adjustment in the motor mount for the smaller spur/bigger pinion;)

hrdrvr
2010.02.19, 07:26 AM
What pod are you running? I think one of the guys here said the only 64p spur you could run was the RR one. Im pretty sure it had somehthing to do with tire clearance. Maybe he will come on and clarify. Otherwise, Ill ask tonight at our club race.

Felix2010
2010.02.19, 07:33 AM
I just realized you were asking this question under the "F1" category.... Sorry about that mk2!! My Bad. Please disregard my first post as I was talking about 64p spur gear usage with MR02/03 ATM ball diffs...

MantisMMA
2010.02.19, 07:49 AM
you can run the PN and the RR but you have to shim the RR. im thinkin about makin some 55t spurs just for the f1 so we can run some insane high rpm motors!! the PN will need to be shaved down to work.

mk2kompressor
2010.02.19, 08:14 AM
the 55 sounds good:)
ive got a pn 64p on my other 02 atm diff,just worried about clearance(if it will mesh)using the pn mount

EMU
2010.02.19, 10:44 AM
I use 64p on a few of my F1's. Two with ATM diffs and PN spurs, one with a mix Kyosho/Qteq parts and the stock Kyosho spur. The Qteq parts add a little more punch, with a ti-shaft even over the 64p diffs.

The only Kyosho part salvaged on the diff is the right side pressure plate/outdrive. The left side is Qteq for the MR chassis. It took a little work, but it makes a big difference. Because the left wheel of the diff has more mass behind it (diff shaft, and diff half instead of just the diff half like the right side), it doesnt offset the balance of inertia. It actually makes it feel more balanced.

I tried a RR spur, but the shims would get stuck in the right side of the diff. It was an intense race weekend when I was working on the car, so I pulled the spur and shims and threw the stock one back in.

I will try to take pictures when I get a chance.

ps. You have to modify the PN spurs so that they can work with the F1. You have to shave down the lip a bit so it does not interfere with the right tire. Again, that is an easy fix... Shave the lip and have that side near the tire.

chad508
2010.02.19, 10:57 AM
i was only able to get the new pn limited split spur to work. the other pn spur would rub the tire. i've shyed away from the rr spur on all my cars due to having to much daily maint. i also found you can not run qteq parts due to the f1 shaft being longer on the drive side. i'll have to try emu's idea of half qteq and kyosho parts

hpgod
2010.02.19, 11:02 AM
I have run 64 pn gears on a F1 with a PN motor mount. It shifts the motor back in the car for more rear weight for the similar drive ratio.

I normally do not run it due to the F1 rear being open. I have DNFed before if hit from the rear. The trailing cars front bumber will directly hit the spur causing tooth failure on the spur gear:( I therfore revert back std pitch in most cases.

briankstan
2010.02.20, 05:11 PM
I've been running the 64 pitch on my F1 for awhile. I like the 53 spur with a 12 pinion. I reversed the spur putting the lip out but sanding it down so it doesn't rub the tire.

It got good balance between top speed and low end but it's not a rocket off the line for sure. I'm running the HFAY 70 turn motor and I really like the balance of the car and the way it drives with the 64 pitch.

EMU
2010.02.20, 05:36 PM
With 70t, 64p is a must in my opinion. With faster motors, depending on the drag brake that the motor has, it is a tuning option.

Traveler
2010.03.30, 06:11 PM
Anyone know how many teeth the stock Kyosho F1 spur has?

It looks huge compared to the MR-02/03 spurs. Just got my first F1 (the SP2 Carbon Ltd) and plan to stick with the stock spur for now, but need the tooth count to figure out the gear ratio.

Thanks!

EMU
2010.03.30, 06:13 PM
46 teeth on the stock F1 spur. Stock MR is 44 teeth.

I use the 53t 64p spur on a few of my F1's without a problem. I also use the 43 and 44t 48p racer spurs as well. It all depends on the spacing that I need for the car, and the amount of drag that I want depending on motor choice. Motors with more drag brake, I want to use 64p, less drag brake 48p.

Traveler
2010.03.30, 06:49 PM
46 teeth on the stock F1 spur. Stock MR is 44 teeth.

I use the 53t 64p spur on a few of my F1's without a problem. I also use the 43 and 44t 48p racer spurs as well. It all depends on the spacing that I need for the car, and the amount of drag that I want depending on motor choice. Motors with more drag brake, I want to use 64p, less drag brake 48p.

Thanks EMU! I tried counting them and came up with 46 once and 45 twice. That's a lot of small teeth to count (even for an accountant).

Do you use the stock F1 diff rings? Are they the same as the stock Kyosho MR-02/03 rings? They also look larger!

EMU
2010.03.30, 07:44 PM
I use the F1 plates if I am using the F1 spur, since the balls are not as centralised as the 64p or MR spurs. I mostly use the Atomic ball diff, which has smaller rings than the Kyosho. On my Kyosho limited black chassis/red diff, I use half Qteq parts on the left side, with the standard F1 rings and spur. Its just as quick as with a 64p diff without the Qteq or ti-shaft, but has more drag brake effect.

The newer Atomic diffs (any available for the last year) you dont have to shave the inside of the diff down to fit the 64p spurs like you have to on the Kyosho or Qteq parts.

Also, if you have a Kyosho, Qteq, or old Atomic without D shaped diff rings, make sure to glue them down so they dont spin. I glue down all of my rings even if they have a D cut ring, just to make sure they allways remain flat. Just a tiny bit of glue is needed, applied with the tip of a toothpick. Too much glue will unlevel the ring. Non D cut rings I spin the ring as I mount the ring to the diff half, to spread the glue and make it level. A quarter rotation is all that is needed, if even.