PDA

View Full Version : What motor will you use in Mod F1??

wwwes
2010.02.24, 08:36 AM
With the new Pn cup rules for F1 what motor would you run in your F1 with the stock asf board? The 33 turn, the 35 turn, or do you know of another choice? Our club runs mainly F1 and we currently allow the x speed or speedy 07.

hrdrvr
2010.02.24, 08:47 AM
I usually run a speedy05 when I run my F1 mod. Thats probably what Ill run if I make it out to any regionals this year. For me the F1 is all about carry speed, and thats pretty easy to maintain with the super low CG. With the finicky rear end I find it hard to hold on to punchier motors. If I get in a situation where its just not enough power, Ill run a speedy 07 with some hotter batteries. Its still pretty linear, and more speed than my set ups (and skills) can ever handle :D

chad508
2010.02.24, 08:48 AM
i will be running a speedy 07. i could only imagine trying to control one with a 33 are 35 turn.

Traveler
2010.02.24, 09:26 AM
With the new Pn cup rules for F1 what motor would you run in your F1 with the stock asf board? The 33 turn, the 35 turn, or do you know of another choice? Our club runs mainly F1 and we currently allow the x speed or speedy 07.

New 33 and 35 turn motors for sale in the marketplace! ;)

EMU
2010.02.24, 12:06 PM
I would probably use a PN AWD II or III motor. I want more drag brake and punch than the Speedy 07bb, which for me rolls too much (especially in F1). The F1 is pretty heavy, so the additional punch is helpful. I typically set my cars up for more rear grip, so they handle better with motors that have more drag brake. When I use a Speedy 07, I usually need a front tire with more bite, so I can scrub more speed entering the corners...

Motor choice for me really depends on track layout and grip conditions. I want to use as much motor as I can put the power down without making it a chore to turn laps. If the rear is kicking out when you are exiting the corner, it is either too much motor or too much front grip.

Right now I usually have the Atomic Stock BB or Standard BB motor in my F1's if I dont have to use a handout or PN motor.

MantisMMA
2010.02.24, 12:21 PM
im goin with traditional low tq high rpm like a speedy AD with silver brushes is very nice! at least until i get the new rear end design.

wwwes
2010.02.25, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the input. I have tried the atomic stock r and it is almost undriveable. The pn motors seem to be a little smoother in thier power delivery so I will get 35 turn and see how it performs and if I can even drive it with this much power. Can I use this motor on a stock asf board?

Felix2010
2010.03.08, 09:30 AM
Can I use this motor on a stock asf board?

Yup:D Perfectly safe with 2x2 3010's on an 2.4-ASF board.

wwwes
2010.03.09, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the info. Getting one today.

wwwes
2010.03.23, 10:42 AM
Just finished up a test and tune session with the 35 turn. It is way too powerful for my limited driving skills!!! I was almost 3 tenths of a second slower with it than the speedy 07 that was in my car. A very skilled driver would be able to control it and may be able to get it to be more consisitent, but I need a lot more practice. Here is a pic of the track I tested it on both clockwise and counter clockwise. Thanks to Mini az for the track idea.

machgo5go
2010.06.24, 09:37 PM
im goin with traditional low tq high rpm like a speedy AD with silver brushes is very nice! at least until i get the new rear end design.
Just picked up a F1 and with it's stock Kyosho X-Speed V in gearing it to the highest, it seems to be very controllable in my chassis set up on PN Reg. layout. I am attempting to find something more punchy so I may drop in my spare Speedy AD but hopefully it will not make it a handful. Lots of tuning & getting use to it before the PN Reg.

machgo5go
2010.06.27, 10:39 AM
Tried out my spare Speedy AD & try to gear down but didn't make it easy. Too much torque in kicking stock rear end out so end up slowing down too much in corners which is how I 1st.time breaking the stock front wing & bent bumper. For now, back to stock Kyosho X-Speed V since good enough in speed & handling for me. Should I next to try out Speed 07 since is it can be controllable with some additional gain?

lfisminiz
2010.06.27, 10:53 AM
Speedy 07 will help but you really need the Mantis T plate.;) Ill be there and Matt, Saturday at Maj. Ill have it along if you are around.:)

machgo5go
2010.06.27, 11:59 AM
Speedy 07 will help but you really need the Mantis T plate.;) Ill be there and Matt, Saturday at Maj. Ill have it along if you are around.:)
Hey Larry, not sure yet since it is July 4th weekend.
For sure I'll be there racing on this upcoming Friday in my usual Stk & Mod class.
Love to see & advise from your expertises since just got into F1.

lfisminiz
2010.06.27, 06:57 PM
Hey Larry, not sure yet since it is July 4th weekend.
For sure I'll be there racing on this upcoming Friday in my usual Stk & Mod class.
Love to see & advise from your expertises since just got into F1.

If you make it at all Saturday...Matt will be there to. He has been running and winning in F-1 for a long time.

machgo5go
2010.07.22, 09:46 PM
I finally got the Mantis T plate in conjunction with PN Motor Pod and Kyosho's Carbon Friction Shock set. Ran it with the Speedy AD motor and Kyosho's Ball Diff. Rear end finally is planted without the annoying hop but had to gear down to pin. 6 just inorder to get the Speedy AD to have some torque at infield but run of steam on fast straight.
Tonight finally picked up new PN's 43 Turn motor in last minute before closing and gear up to max 9 pin. It ran very smooth and seems to have nicer top end speed but I expected more low end Torque which don't seem to be there. I think it is maxed out in the combination so I guess I will live with it since it is drivable. Of course I was running with my worn play pack of TRP 900 batteries. So maybe when I have chance to run it with freshing up weekly race packs & motor is more broken in, it may have more punches to it.

Tjay
2010.09.08, 11:54 AM
I ran speedy07 with mantisworx lower plates. It feels that it can use more power without loosing rear traction. Once I get FPR's F1, for sure I'll test run it with mod motors such as PN32 just to see how fast I can get this F1 going. I'll keep you guys posted.