PDA

View Full Version : Version 0.43 of Flip Side Racing Software now available

pinwc4
2010.02.24, 12:57 PM
Updated to version 0.43 to fix free play bug preventing timed out racers from getting added back in.

A new release is available, you can download it from the site:
http://www.flipsideracing.org/

A couple of weeks have passed so it is time for a new version right? Quite a few things have changed in the past couple weeks so I wanted to get a new version out for people to test before continuing with the next set of changes. Below is a breakdown of the main things that changed with this release:

New Features

New graph type, rank over time
Speech translation files can be selected within the program
Ending count down option added. You can set the number of seconds the program will start counting down for the end of a timed or timed and lap race

Enhancements

The program closing prompt is now configurable. You can choose to always be prompted, be prompted only if a race is active or never be prompted
MR-03 added to the chassis list (you can add any chassis you want by editing the raceparts.xml file)
Configuration of the racer slot colors (colors that the racers appear as on the race screen) is now configured on the General Config Screen
Auto adding racers when using Core hardware has been sped up to take much less CPU time
Select Racers screen is removed as it is no longer needed
The program will now always clear the racer list when a new racer is started

Bug Fixes

If a new background is set in the theme.xml or BG_Frame.jpg is replaced with a new background that has a resolution less than the screen size the program will now correctly resize the window
Auto adding of racers to a race will no longer allow 2 racers with the same name, each racer in a race must have a unique name
Fixed a error message that could occur if a racer was deleted from the most recent race. The results were being stored even though there was an error

Since the select racers screen is gone now the auto delete racers feature is always enabled. I also worked on speeding up auto adding racers for the Core hardware. If anyone has trouble with the auto adding/deleting feature please let me know.

As always please send me feedback or bug reports.

briankstan
2010.02.24, 02:07 PM
great, we are racing tomorrow, I'll get it loaded up and we'll use it tomorrow. :)

pinwc4
2010.02.24, 02:42 PM
great, we are racing tomorrow, I'll get it loaded up and we'll use it tomorrow. :)

Sounds good.

Also thanks for the suggestion on adding the rank per lap. I realized after adding it to the database so it could be used for reports that people may want to graph that data hence there is now a rank over time graph.

pinwc4
2010.02.25, 10:48 AM
There was a bug in this version with the Free Play mode that prevents you from adding a racer after they have timed out so I need to release a new version.

I have posted version 0.43 already.

QuantumRC
2010.02.25, 10:56 AM
Hi,

With Flipside, how do I sort the Heats into overall standings and re-groups them into Mains?

The last race, I had to copy and paste maunally to excel :(

pinwc4
2010.02.25, 11:12 AM
Hi,

With Flipside, how do I sort the Heats into overall standings and re-groups them into Mains?

The last race, I had to copy and paste maunally to excel :(

The program can not do that yet, I am still working on the event management features.

QuantumRC
2010.02.25, 11:18 AM
The program can not do that yet, I am still working on the event management features.

Thanks, stupid me, I just read it on the info thread.

BrianMidnight
2010.02.25, 06:28 PM
Been testing.....don't seem to be able to register more then 6 in a race???....I'm set up for 14 cars

pinwc4
2010.02.25, 08:13 PM
Been testing.....don't seem to be able to register more then 6 in a race???....I'm set up for 14 cars

That is puzzling. I just ran a few test races trying to duplicate this problem and had no trouble running them with 20 racers.

Were you possibly trying to add people with duplicate names? There was a bug in the previous versions that allowed the auto add feature to include racers with the same name that was fixed in this version. Having duplicate names in the same race can lead to problems with merging laps, deleting laps and deleting racers so I had to fix the logic to prevent that. Free Play will still allow duplicate racer names because the results are not saved to the database.

Is it stuck at 6, or was it just particular racers? Any insight you can provide will help me figure this out.

BrianMidnight
2010.02.26, 07:44 AM
Sorry!!! my mistake it is same name tags causing it to happen. I was using our pre installed "race profile" for 30 minute practise where we previously ran all our cars (mods stocks) at the same time. I've now saved it in "race profile" using free play & 1800 timeout, it now runs as before, apart from not announcing the individual lap times at the end of a session. We'll live without that. Sorry for wasting your time.

pinwc4
2010.02.26, 09:57 AM
Sorry!!! my mistake it is same name tags causing it to happen. I was using our pre installed "race profile" for 30 minute practise where we previously ran all our cars (mods stocks) at the same time. I've now saved it in "race profile" using free play & 1800 timeout, it now runs as before, apart from not announcing the individual lap times at the end of a session. We'll live without that. Sorry for wasting your time.

Glad to know that it is not some big bug lurking. This input is not a waste of time for me, feedback is useful regardless if it is bugs, input for features and changes, confusion on how features work or even just simple confirmation that things are working fine.

briankstan
2010.02.26, 10:30 AM
We ran Ver.43 last night at our races, everything worked flawless. I got several comments on the end of race countdown. I had it set to count the last 10 seconds. Itís very cool.

Russ had mentioned to me that is would be cool have the starting horn sound at random intervals, rather than a countdown to the horn. Similar to how F1 works. With the lights. This way itís a reaction time rather than just timing the horn. I know that you probably canít to a random interval but maybe give it 3 or 4 different delayed options and have it rotate through them. This way you wouldnít know what one is coming up next.

I didnít notice anything not functioning they way it should and didnít have any issue with the operation of the system. I havenít checked out the reports or anything yet, Iíll let you know if I find anything when I do.

As always thanks for your great work.

pinwc4
2010.02.26, 12:53 PM
We ran Ver.43 last night at our races, everything worked flawless. I got several comments on the end of race countdown. I had it set to count the last 10 seconds. Itís very cool.

Russ had mentioned to me that is would be cool have the starting horn sound at random intervals, rather than a countdown to the horn. Similar to how F1 works. With the lights. This way itís a reaction time rather than just timing the horn. I know that you probably canít to a random interval but maybe give it 3 or 4 different delayed options and have it rotate through them. This way you wouldnít know what one is coming up next.

I didnít notice anything not functioning they way it should and didnít have any issue with the operation of the system. I havenít checked out the reports or anything yet, Iíll let you know if I find anything when I do.

As always thanks for your great work.

The count down to the end of the race was another suggestion from Qon at Nanotrax. The other piece that I do not have done is an ending sound effect, so you can select a horn or beep or something to indicate the end of the race.

For the starting horn sound I do not understand what you are asking for. I have not watched F1 races before so unfortunately I am not familiar with it.

Are you saying you want the horn maybe to randomly sound at 3 seconds then the software says 2,1 then sounds again and for that random time to be configurable? Or are you not really wanting an explicit countdown so that people will not know quite when the horn will go? So you set it to 10 seconds but the software will choose a random number around 10 and not really count down just fire the horn for the start?

Thanks for the feedback

LED
2010.02.26, 01:50 PM
In formula one you have 5 red lights, they all go on one at a time until they are all on. Then they go all off and thats the starting signal. But the times it takes between the last light going on and all of them going out is different each race. So the start signal is not about timing but about reflex.

briankstan
2010.02.26, 02:00 PM
yep, LED explained it better. I was thinking more along the lines of simulating the lights with the sound.

Like this.

Click start...

systems Says "Prepare to race"

then... Silence...

seconds pass... then...

Horn sounds. drivers hear it and off they go.

it could just be an option :)

pinwc4
2010.02.26, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the clarification, that makes much more sense to me.

Amusingly enough the countdown in the software has the graphic at the top that is a series of lights that apparently operates that way and I never knew why. They were either provided by you, brian, or by dusty weasle, I forget who at this point.

Since there would be no countdown it probably would be good to have a series of beeps.

And the software can control a series of lights using the DLP-IOR4 relay board but that board is limited to just 4 lights.

briankstan
2010.02.26, 06:00 PM
those graphics were done by Keving (DW). In our cases we are never looking at the screen, we go by the countdown and sound, so in this case there really wouldn't need to be any graphical represention, just the audio.

Mike Keely
2010.03.13, 10:10 PM
I have a question and hope someone has a answer already available.

We are finding that when two cars go over the core loop at the same or very close to the same time that one of the cars does not count that lap and will show a long lap time the next time across. Anyone have any ideas for us to try? Thanks MK

arch2b
2010.03.14, 12:09 AM
mike, there are specific bug reports for specific versions. it would be best if you posted what version you were running so that helps diagnose the problem or make it clear that it's an issue that has already been addressed with one of the subsequent updates.

also, this was not happening with all cars in the race, only a small few.

briankstan
2010.03.14, 02:49 PM
at our last race we did have a maybe 2 cars that were missed, but they were only miss on the first lap, then counted fine the remainder of the race.

this was running ver. .43.

I'm going to run a defrag on my computer and see if it was just my laptop, I'll know more after this next race.

Note: Russ also noted that it would be great if there was a way to call out not only the lead changed but also when other postitions are taken. Say you move from Forth to 3rd. it could say " Russ Takes 3rd. Postition" that way a driver could know if he is gaining on the racers in front of him. What do you think?

pinwc4
2010.03.14, 06:22 PM
I have a question and hope someone has a answer already available.

We are finding that when two cars go over the core loop at the same or very close to the same time that one of the cars does not count that lap and will show a long lap time the next time across. Anyone have any ideas for us to try? Thanks MK

The first thing to try is make sure you are running the latest version. I have done some work to improve the speed of the program with more recent version. Missed laps with the Core hardware is either the car not picked up by the loop or the program slowing down. In your case where it is a car following another car getting missed it is most likely the program is not running fast enough for some reason. You might watch the task manager while running a test race to see if something else is using a lot of CPU while the race is running. The most common culprit is virus scanners but other things can chew up a lot of CPU.

Also if this sort of thing is only happening while on the graph screen you might try not using the live graphs. The graphs do take up more CPU time than the race screen and with the newer versions of the software the graphs are not updated if you are not on that screen.

If it was limited to specific cars but only when they are following a car then I am a bit stumped. It could just be a coincidence as off hand I can not come up with a reason it would impact specific cars.

What speed of computer do you have and what OS are you running?

pinwc4
2010.03.14, 06:38 PM
at our last race we did have a maybe 2 cars that were missed, but they were only miss on the first lap, then counted fine the remainder of the race.

this was running ver. .43.

I'm going to run a defrag on my computer and see if it was just my laptop, I'll know more after this next race.

Note: Russ also noted that it would be great if there was a way to call out not only the lead changed but also when other postitions are taken. Say you move from Forth to 3rd. it could say " Russ Takes 3rd. Postition" that way a driver could know if he is gaining on the racers in front of him. What do you think?

Not sure that defraging will make much of a difference. While running a race CPU is the thing that matters the most. Make sure to close any unneeded programs while running a race. RAM is also important but the program does not take a huge amount of RAM. Hard drive activity during a race is pretty minimal, I have tried to remove most disk related tasks during a race and only execute them after the race is completed.

I will have to review the code again and see if there is anywhere I can get more performance out of it but I think I have already optimizing the critical sections and at this point performance gains will be pretty minimal.

In regards to announcing other position changes it is certainly possible and I will look into it. I may make it a configuration option unless everyone would rather it work that way instead of just announcing lead changes.

If I do this though I doubt it will make it into the next version, I have done a lot of changes and am working to finish the current changes and release a test build.

What are other peoples thoughts on that?

Mike Keely
2010.03.15, 09:45 PM
Not sure that defraging will make much of a difference. While running a race CPU is the thing that matters the most. Make sure to close any unneeded programs while running a race. RAM is also important but the program does not take a huge amount of RAM. Hard drive activity during a race is pretty minimal, I have tried to remove most disk related tasks during a race and only execute them after the race is completed.

I will have to review the code again and see if there is anywhere I can get more performance out of it but I think I have already optimizing the critical sections and at this point performance gains will be pretty minimal.

In regards to announcing other position changes it is certainly possible and I will look into it. I may make it a configuration option unless everyone would rather it work that way instead of just announcing lead changes.

If I do this though I doubt it will make it into the next version, I have done a lot of changes and am working to finish the current changes and release a test build.

What are other peoples thoughts on that?I got the computer from Arch so he might know that answer. I don't think that it is that old. It is using XP. Where would I find what version it is? Arch might have that info also. It is what ever version he installed on the computer when he brought it to us.

We where running a 4 hour enduro, would that make any differance on the ram? We ran 1400 laps.

arch2b
2010.03.15, 09:55 PM
right click on my computer and click properties. that will provide the info you need.

i would suggest downloading the latest version of flipside to a thumb drive and install it. that version has to be in the upper 20's to mid 30's and were currently in the 40's.

the software worked fine at their home track location.

pinwc4
2010.03.15, 11:47 PM
I got the computer from Arch so he might know that answer. I don't think that it is that old. It is using XP. Where would I find what version it is? Arch might have that info also. It is what ever version he installed on the computer when he brought it to us.

We where running a 4 hour enduro, would that make any differance on the ram? We ran 1400 laps.

If you were running a pretty old version for an enduro then I probably know the problem you ran into. Within the last few releases I changed the graphing to only occur if you were on the graph screen, older versions were updating the graphs even if you were not looking at them. With an Enduro on the old versions of the software the graphing would take longer and longer to process as the race continued on and could cause the program to miss communicating with the Core hardware.

If you are running a version less than 0.38 then most likely that is the problem you ran into. In version 0.38 and above the graphs only process if you are on the statistics screen.

To see what version of the program you are running just look in the bottom left hand corner of the main screen. This is the screen that first appears when you launch the program or you can click the main button at the top to get to it.

Mike Keely
2010.03.16, 07:44 PM
Just to clarify that we like the program and I didn't want this to come out like a complaint. Thanks for your help and all your hard work. MK

pinwc4
2010.03.16, 08:11 PM
Just to clarify that we like the program and I didn't want this to come out like a complaint. Thanks for your help and all your hard work. MK

Thanks, I understood completely. I always tell people I need feedback, both the good and the bad. I need to know what works well and what does not so I know where to put my effort.

Mike Keely
2010.03.16, 08:32 PM
I just downloaded the new version. For some reason it comes up with a runtime error on the green circle icon when I try to go to the program.

pinwc4
2010.03.16, 09:09 PM
I just downloaded the new version. For some reason it comes up with a runtime error on the green circle icon when I try to go to the program.

Did the error message say anything else?

Did you download the software and just run it directly without trying to copy anything from your old version? If you tried to "upgrade" the old version you must minimally copy the exe and the fsRaceWin libs directory.

For upgrades I usually recommend copying the flipsidedb and preferences.xml file from the old version to the new version (and anything else that may have been manually customized such as the theme directory) because other program files have changed, especially if you have a really old version.

Mike Keely
2010.03.16, 09:28 PM
I deleted the old one and then downloaded the new one. It all works fine but I copied the green circle and put it on my desktop before but now it gives me this

Runtime error

Common\Plugin .ccp:7280
Failure Condition : pluginentrytable.getentry (Entrypoint name,out)
can't find plugin method BevelButton .Deleteallrows

pinwc4
2010.03.16, 09:37 PM
I deleted the old one and then downloaded the new one. It all works fine but I copied the green circle and put it on my desktop before but now it gives me this

Runtime error

Common\Plugin .ccp:7280
Failure Condition : pluginentrytable.getentry (Entrypoint name,out)
can't find plugin method BevelButton .Deleteallrows

That makes more sense then. The file with the green circle is the executable, you can not copy it and place it on the desktop. What you want is a shortcut. I usually make a shortcut 1 of 2 ways. Either I right click on the file and drag it to my desktop which prompts me with the choice to make a shortcut, or I right click on the file and click the create shortcut option and then drag the shortcut to the desktop.

You will probably want the flipsidedb file from the old copy of the software. That file contains all the racer information. Otherwise you would have to recreate all the racers again.

Sorry for the confusion, an installer has not been released yet to automate this. The next release is going to have an installer and upgrader that creates shortcuts and uninstallers for you. Someone else hsa been helping with the project so we will finally be able to provide that.

Mike Keely
2010.03.16, 10:19 PM
OK, thanks again for the help.