PDA

View Full Version : How fast is your MA-010 ?

s_m_z
2010.02.28, 01:36 AM
How fast does your MA-010 go ?

I've been experimenting with my motor, pinion & spur set-up The gear on the atomic chilli evo motor is the 21 tooth atomic which drives an atomic 29 tooth spur gear. On the speed checker with this set-up it does 35 kph., I also tried with a tamiya mini 4wd motor and it got up to 43 kph.

What do I need to do to get more top speed, how fast can you get these cars to go and what set-up are you using ?

arch2b
2010.02.28, 08:30 AM
the tamiya speed checker is not a good basis for determining actual speed/performance. there are some old threads on this subject that go on to explain why. they are good for a reference point however and many have been able to max out the speed checker.

Action B
2010.02.28, 09:54 AM
How fast does your MA-010 go ?

I've been experimenting with my motor, pinion & spur set-up The gear on the atomic chilli evo motor is the 21 tooth atomic which drives an atomic 29 tooth spur gear. On the speed checker with this set-up it does 35 kph., I also tried with a tamiya mini 4wd motor and it got up to 43 kph.

What do I need to do to get more top speed, how fast can you get these cars to go and what set-up are you using ?
On the Tamiya speed checker:

My MA-010 with T2 motor and 19/29 gear combo goes 35 kph
My MAa-010 with T2 motor and lipo at 19/29 goes around 45 kph
Both are entirely worthless for the track

My favorite combo:
MA-010 with PN 70turn, 19/29 gear goes 21-24 kph depending on how fresh the batteries are. Nice controllable speed.

Sure I can probably get it going faster if I used T2 lithium and geared it up, but whats the point? I'd lose every race and probably strip my gears from hitting too many walls by the end of the race.

Skv012a
2010.02.28, 12:02 PM
A middle ratio and event-appropriate motors should be just fine. I personally recommend all-wide stance if you can handle it (still working on that myself, but I really liked the feel it offered me).

s_m_z
2010.02.28, 03:46 PM
On the Tamiya speed checker:

My MA-010 with T2 motor and 19/29 gear combo goes 35 kph
My MAa-010 with T2 motor and lipo at 19/29 goes around 45 kph
Both are entirely worthless for the track

My favorite combo:
MA-010 with PN 70turn, 19/29 gear goes 21-24 kph depending on how fresh the batteries are. Nice controllable speed.

Sure I can probably get it going faster if I used T2 lithium and geared it up, but whats the point? I'd lose every race and probably strip my gears from hitting too many walls by the end of the race.

Is using Lithium worth while?, Im using Nimh 1000 mah battery's would Lithium be any advantage weight/endurance/efficiency wise ?

s_m_z
2010.02.28, 03:47 PM
A middle ratio and event-appropriate motors should be just fine. I personally recommend all-wide stance if you can handle it (still working on that myself, but I really liked the feel it offered me).

What is this "all wide stance?"

Action B
2010.02.28, 03:54 PM
Is using Lithium worth while?, Im using Nimh 1000 mah battery's would Lithium be any advantage weight/endurance/efficiency wise ?

Well.... the point I was trying to make is that you don't want your MA-010 very fast. SO lithium is lighter and faster, but I wouldn't recommend it. Slowing your Z down will probably make it run better lap times. I ran faster on a track with my stock motor than i did with lithium.

My track setup goes 24 kph max on the speed checker. I have motors that go very fast but they aren't any good for racing on most tracks.

EMU
2010.02.28, 04:13 PM
With AWD, I like as much motor as I can get that will last me the race. Just because you have the power, doesnt mean that you are allways going to be on it. 2wd is a different story.

My current 'stock' setup is the Atomic Stock BB motor with 19/27t gearing. It has great torque, and good top end. It can compete with modified cars, and usually gets more runtime. The modified cars will have more speed on a very large track, but most tracks the ATM Stock will have similar speed and acceleration.

The Chili motor is a high RPM, not a high torque motor, so dont gear it up too much... even with upgraded fets, you might get a poof of smoke.

Action B
2010.02.28, 04:51 PM
With AWD, I like as much motor as I can get that will last me the race. Just because you have the power, doesnt mean that you are allways going to be on it. 2wd is a different story.

My current 'stock' setup is the Atomic Stock BB motor with 19/27t gearing. It has great torque, and good top end. It can compete with modified cars, and usually gets more runtime. The modified cars will have more speed on a very large track, but most tracks the ATM Stock will have similar speed and acceleration.

The Chili motor is a high RPM, not a high torque motor, so dont gear it up too much... even with upgraded fets, you might get a poof of smoke.
Anytime you increase the power of your motor you inherently lose some of your throttle control because from 0-100% trigger pull is a larger difference in response from the motor in the car as far as speed goes. This in my opinion makes it difficult to control a high powered car. Some transmitters are programmable and can change the rate of response the motor has in relation to the trigger, however, I don't have the luxury of such a transmitter so I'd rather focus on consistency. If you can stay consistent with a more powerful motor then go for it. I cannot.

EMU
2010.02.28, 05:10 PM
I adjust my throttle curve on every car to give me more control through the corners. Most of the tracks that I race at are large full competition sized tracks. I adjust my curve to make it smoother when I am up at speed (usually a positive curve). This way when I want to let off just a little, I can.

On larger tracks, I feel that there is no motor that is too fast for the AWD. I have used ATM T2, Z2, Chili, Stock-R, PN Anima, 35t, S03... those are the modified motors. The difference with AWD and 2wd, is that with AWD you can put the power down. The car wont spin out... it will just grip and launch in the direction you are pointing the front wheels at.

Again, I still prefer the ATM Stock BB over any other motor in an AWD. Speedy 07 has much less torque, which is what gets the car out of the corner fast.

Action B
2010.02.28, 05:25 PM
I adjust my throttle curve on every car to give me more control through the corners. Most of the tracks that I race at are large full competition sized tracks. I adjust my curve to make it smoother when I am up at speed (usually a positive curve). This way when I want to let off just a little, I can.

On larger tracks, I feel that there is no motor that is too fast for the AWD. I have used ATM T2, Z2, Chili, Stock-R, PN Anima, 35t, S03... those are the modified motors. The difference with AWD and 2wd, is that with AWD you can put the power down. The car wont spin out... it will just grip and launch in the direction you are pointing the front wheels at.

Again, I still prefer the ATM Stock BB over any other motor in an AWD. Speedy 07 has much less torque, which is what gets the car out of the corner fast.

I see what your saying, however, at myrtle beach "spring fling 09" when I raced there we raced stock and mod class. To my surprise, the laps were nearly the same even for the more experienced drivers. Some had the same amount of laps in the stock and mod class, and some drivers went either way, more or less with stock or mod.

Even experienced racers sometimes go faster with PN 70 turn motors. Of course, I don't know which people were driving AWD vs. RWD. You can see by the low total lap counts that the track must have been sizeable.

Here are the results im speaking of:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=339090&postcount=169

Skv012a
2010.02.28, 05:29 PM
What is this "all wide stance?"

All wide rims.

EMU
2010.02.28, 06:01 PM
I see what your saying, however, at myrtle beach "spring fling 09" when I raced there we raced stock and mod class. To my surprise, the laps were nearly the same even for the more experienced drivers. Some had the same amount of laps in the stock and mod class, and some drivers went either way, more or less with stock or mod.

Even experienced racers sometimes go faster with PN 70 turn motors. Of course, I don't know which people were driving AWD vs. RWD. You can see by the low total lap counts that the track must have been sizeable.

Here are the results im speaking of:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=339090&postcount=169

I know what you are saying. There are a lot of variables when comparing stock and mod laptimes. Faster motors dont necessarily yield faster laptimes. On small tracks, slower motors will typically run faster laps. On large tracks, with good grip, almost always the faster motor wins.

We run a few different classes, and I am always faster with my MR03 that has the Atomic Stock or Standard motor compared to my MR03 with 70t. The 70t MR03 is a few tenths off on average and fast lap. For an AWD, a 70t is rediculously slow.

Action B
2010.02.28, 06:30 PM
I guess I like to go ridiculously slow then lol. Thats my favorite motor!

EMU
2010.03.01, 12:47 PM
You probably race on tracks that you cannot really utilize the additional speed as much. 70t also seems to bind a lot more. I had to do a lot of work to get it to mesh well against the spur. For me, I disable drag brake on my cars, and the 70t just stops the car when I go off throttle.

Action B
2010.03.01, 02:20 PM
You probably race on tracks that you cannot really utilize the additional speed as much. 70t also seems to bind a lot more. I had to do a lot of work to get it to mesh well against the spur. For me, I disable drag brake on my cars, and the 70t just stops the car when I go off throttle.

Yes, they bind on my girlfriends car but the motor mounts that I have they do not seem to make it bind.

s_m_z
2010.03.01, 07:32 PM
I have changed my gear ratio to 21/27 and also extended the wheelbase to 98mm, It seems easier to drive now. I've got some PN racing wide wheels on the way and will see how those go when they arrive. Also top speed on the speed checker changed slightly with the 21/27 set up to 37kph. I might put taller ratios into the diffs and see how it goes.

alexandrubarbat
2010.03.10, 07:32 AM
Atomic Stock-R motor it works on MA010 ASF stock? Which is the most powerful motor which works with awd stock version?

Thank you