2010.03.12, 10:40 PM
OK guys we have a date.

Saturday May 15, 2010

As of now we are looking at running the following classes:

GT Stock (Open board, PN Cup 70 turn)
L/M (same board and motor)
F1 (open board and motor)

and possiably:

Pan Car Stock (open board, PN Cup 70 turn)

We have to organize are make arrangments. Help will be needed.
We will need to be on the ball running the program. Jim would like us to be done and out by 5pm. This means an early start and we will need to see if Andy is avaiable to be race director.

I hoping we could do three heats and mains in all classes.

Timing will be CORE/Flipside. we have plenty of transponder tags on hand.

What does everyone think?

Wade

Drivers list:

"GT Stock"

Pedro (HSH)
Chad (MBMZR)
Rodney (HSH)
Connor (HSH)
Wade (HSH)
Josh (HSH)
CJ (HSH)
Daddy Rabbit (MBMZR)
Pick (HSH)
Eric (MBMZR)
Jay (HSH)
Collin (MBMZR)
Travler (HSH)
Mleemor60 (HSH)
Landon (MBMZR)
sww (MBMZR)
EMU (?)
GIHOSU (?)
Taylor (HSH)
Larry (Pa.)
Matt (Va)
Dustin (HSH)

"L/M"

Pedro (HSH)
Chad (MBMZR)
Rodney (HSH)
Connor (HSH)
Wade (HSH)
Josh (HSH)
CJ (HSH)
Daddy Rabbit (MBMZR)
Pick (HSH)
Eric (MBMZR)
Jay (HSH)
Collin (MBMZR)
Travler (HSH)
Mleemor60 (HSH)
Landon (MBMZR)
sww (MBMZR)
EMU (?)
Marcus (TEXAS)
GIHOSU (?)
Taylor (HSH)
Larry (Pa.)
Matt (Va)

"F1"

Pedro (HSH)
Rodney (HSH)
Wade (HSH)
Daddy Rabbit (MBMZR)
Pick (HSH)
Eric (MBMZR)
Jay (HSH)
Travler (HSH)
Mleemor60 (HSH) ?
Landon (MBMZR)
sww (MBMZR)
EMU (?)
Marcus (TEXAS)
GIHOSU (?)
Taylor (HSH)
Larry (Pa.)
Matt (Va)

"Junior Class"

Griffin (MBMZR)
Kyler (HSH)
Raymond (HSH)
Bob (HSH)
Robby (HSH)

pedrocamp
2010.03.12, 10:52 PM
Sounds great, I will be there along with Zak (hopefully).

...let me know where I can help.

chad508
2010.03.12, 11:12 PM
you know i'll be there, cant wait. as far as classes im not picky, i have enough to run what ever i just want to race. any thoughts as to a start time yet? just keep us informed.

hrdrvr
2010.03.13, 10:37 AM
Im in, and looking forward to it.

Are there going to be any weight limits?

Will you guys run in the pan class too? I know four classes will be harder to get in in the allotted time frame, and since y'all dont run it normally I would assume thatll be the one with the least support from y'all. Most of our guys that are already committed to coming up would probably be in for any and everything thats available. I say choose what will give y'all the best local support, and we will conform.

Im interested to know the start time too. If its an early start, will the track be avaiable friday? Our guys are usually fine with a rigid schedule, and will come prepared to roll through it :D

cosmicsoul
2010.03.13, 10:58 AM
I will be there.

Sure would be nice if Andy is available for this time slot.:confused:

Let me know if there is something specifically that I can do?

If you let me know what it is that you would like to get done I can delegate. I am pretty good at telling people what to do, in spanish or english.

Or if you just would like my opinion or need me to stir up some caine. I would be happy to oblige!

Ask not what you Mini-z club can do for you, but what you can do for your Mini-z club.

Personally, I think we should change our layout next week to the cup layout so we can get practiced up and get that freaking Cup!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

kromie101
2010.03.13, 03:09 PM
me and the boys should be there. if you guys use mikes system,will the transponders work from landons? it would be cool to be able to come friday and get practice.maybe have a short practice on sat and get started by 10ish.just a thought .cya eric

mleemor60
2010.03.13, 05:23 PM
Transponder tags are passive. They require no electrical connection to the chassis. They can be a little fussy about where they are mounted and they don't like a chrome finish. Aside from that they are nearly bulletproof. or have been in the past.

hpgod
2010.03.18, 07:04 AM
I am thinking of coming up from Atlnata. What would be the start time do you think. What time would the shop open? If there is limited time saterday mourning for tuning then what time is the shop open friday for practice?

I would be GT and F1 maybe

cosmicsoul
2010.03.18, 07:54 AM
In the past we have had some practice the day before, and before the actually race.

It will be good to see you again. I met you several years ago at the Spring Fling at MB.

hpgod
2010.03.18, 09:40 AM
My miniz are lonely here in Atlanta.
I bought a new house and have a huge rc room in the basement for my track(RCP 9/1o deep by 17 tiles wide) and most of our club in atlanta has decided to take a break or moved away. My kids are still another year + from racing. Be thankfull yall have a hobby shop location to run in.

pinoyboy
2010.03.18, 09:45 AM
I may decide to take the trip too:D

mleemor60
2010.03.18, 10:28 AM
You guy's are always welcome at High Speed.

Daddy Rabbit
2010.03.18, 04:39 PM
Looking forward to it.
I am in for LM and GT Stock.
Will we be able to get track time on Friday?
What time does Jim close on Friday?

cosmicsoul
2010.03.20, 10:41 AM
I don't really know for sure but I think he will be open at least as long as he did for the MINI-Diablo. I am pretty certain that the track will be open Friday for test and tuning.

I am not sure if it will be open for members of MBMZR or other out of towners. Sorry guys we want that cup bad!;)

Seriously like I said, I am pretty sure it will be the same as the MINI-Diablo. I or some one else will let you know more details as soon as we clarify with JIM.

On another note, it seems to me that most of our support of the mini-z scene in this area is coming from NC and SC. Then there are the hardcore guys from GA, VA and PA that participate from time to time.

With that being said, the numbers are limited. What we need to grow the sport in our region is more racers. We have plenty of A main guys, and B main guys. I feel like we really need to encourage racers of all levels to participate in larger events, out of town and locally.

It seems that typically most events only award A and B main drivers awards. I feel that if extended awards through all the different levels, some might be more apt to want to participate. Winning is fun! The more fun people have the more they will want to be apart of this phenomenal sport!

Just a thought, like many of you already do let's encourage all racers at all levels. Allthough we all strive to #1 we can't all be that guy! That doesn't make anyone less important. Being #1 out of 3 probably isn' that fun!

pedrocamp
2010.03.20, 11:01 AM
Well said Jay. You have been really helpful to Ray, he will be a fast racer pretty soon. I see his skills improving every week. We need a few more kids like him participating. We have enough old guys... just kidding Don!

kromie101
2010.03.21, 07:31 PM
jay ,what about a beginner class? maybe the cup race.my 10 year old and i know there was a handfull of other kids i've seen race. just an idea. cya

pedrocamp
2010.03.21, 10:26 PM
I think it's a good idea!

kromie101
2010.04.22, 06:36 PM
how much is sign up gonna be for the big race? i have 3 of us racing. what time can we get in to practice friday? do you guys know a number for a hotel close by? hope to see you guys then.

chad508
2010.04.22, 06:55 PM
same here, me and steven may have to come up friday night to not have to get up so soon saturday morning. also what time does the shop close friday night?

pedrocamp
2010.04.22, 10:42 PM
Hey guys, looking forward to racing with you!

First up, we as well as Landon have arranged to make this race, as well as the upcoming Carolinas Cup races, handout motor events for the 70T classes. Mike Morse has purchased 50 PN 70T motors and to make sure it is fair we thought it might be best to have an outside party prepare and seal the motors for our use. Cristian Tabush has offered to visually inspect all the motors, break them all in and seal them for us. The motors will be available by random draw the morning of the event. At the end of the event the motors will be returned, placed in a sealed box and saved for the next event. The entry fee of $10.00 per class includes the use of a motor for the 70T classes. Mike will be reimbursed for his outlay and any extra monies will be used to purchase more motors as necessary. We think this is a great way to remove all questions or differences in our rules as well as save the time and expense of buying and preparing motors. The motors will be pretty much plug and play.

The shop will be open Friday from 12:00PM till 7:00PM for open practice. On Saturday the shop will open at 7:30AM with heats beginning at 9:30AM. We hope to be easily done with the mains by 4:00PM with awards and prizes, packing up etc... done by 5:00PM.

I will let one of our more area wise members comment on hotels.

I hope to see lots of our brothers from the South, and hope some of our friends from Ga can attend as well...

Will get more details up soon, please post up any questions and concerns.

Thanks, Pedro

kwsmith29
2010.04.22, 10:59 PM
Hopefully some of them Virginia guys could make it down also....

pedrocamp
2010.04.23, 05:46 AM
True! Even though it is called a Carolinas Cup race we invite everyone from any state to attend. We always have fun, close, competitive racing between the High Speed group and the Myrtle Beach group, come join us.

hrdrvr
2010.04.23, 07:25 AM
First off, Id like to throw a big thanks out to CT for taking on the task of prepping the motors for us. Its a perfect answer to the motor rules, and should make it totally fair for any one from anywhere to come and race with us!

Will get more details up soon, please post up any questions and concerns.

Thanks, Pedro

Pedro, Ive got a few questions about rules, haha, who would have thought right? Do you guys allow the use of aftermarket or handmade bumpers outside of Kyosho's offerings? We have a couple of people interested in the new MantisWorx wings, and Ive fabbed up something similar for my car. In the past Ive never seen the question asked (at either of our events), but with the introduction of some production offerings, its something we need to consider discussing.

Hopefully some of them Virginia guys could make it down also....

Hint hint Matt ;)

True! Even though it is called a Carolinas Cup race we invite everyone from any state to attend. We always have fun, close, competitive racing between the High Speed group and the Myrtle Beach group, come join us.

Its called the Carolina Cup because the races are going to be held within the Carolinas. Every one is definitely welcome, and all though I only want to see both of the cups hanging on the MBMZR track wall, its cool to have more than two clubs fighting for them! :D

kromie101
2010.04.23, 07:39 AM
thanks for the info.

pedro,was there any talk of a beginners class or a young guys class?

pedrocamp
2010.04.23, 10:38 AM
I actually have some of the Mantis parts myself. I would think the wings, bumpers and suspension bits are OK. If the others guys don't comment here I will confirm by this Thursday. Would you allow them at your track Landon? Will PN allow the parts at the Regional and Worlds?

I think we will do a beginners class if there are enough to fill a heat which would be 4 cars. We have a couple of young guys racing with us that probably would like to race in this class. Do you have a new guy or two coming up? Colin isn't a beginner!

chad508
2010.04.23, 10:50 AM
from what landon as told me the aftermarket parts are not allowed at the pn events only kyosho bodys and bumpers. you can not even use the atomic front bumper. but im sure we will run anything at the ccc races

hrdrvr
2010.04.23, 12:31 PM
Ive always been a fan of keeping everything as realistic as possible, which has meant only running Kyosho offerings. Its never been a real issue as there hasnt been much in the line of aftermarket avaiability, and F1 seems to get over looked as a viable option here a lot.

Im thinking with the advent of these new Mantis parts, maybe we can make F1 more appealing, by allowing people to protect the front ends a little better, so Im prepared to lean towards the more liberal rulings.

PN wants to keep everything realistic, and even for people on the world scale. As Mantis's parts become more available world wide we may see a change in PNs rules, but for this year its looking like only Kyosho F1 parts will be allowed, as far as body and bumpers go.

For me, Id rather see people take on the action of making something as functional as Mantis's wing, but as realistic looking as Kyosho's. Im working on a bumper that could replace the clear Kyosho one, and am making myself a front wing/bumper combo that perfomrs well, and looks WAY better than Mantis's IMO.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/IMAG0147.jpg

Of course for teching responsibility I dont want to tell people you can use this, but not that (especially with reasoning like, just because I dont like how it looks)....Id just make it anything goes :D

mleemor60
2010.04.23, 12:54 PM
If they are going to be Mods then let the rough side drag and have a little innovation.

kromie101
2010.04.23, 01:15 PM
pedro,my younger son is 10. i was just wondering. i have his car set up as a LM right now. if you do have this class, can they run what ever chassie. it's just easier for him to drive. ooooo no,collin has to race with the big boys:D. even though he is only 12 he does pretty good. do you think you guys might run that pancar class?

pedrocamp
2010.04.23, 02:42 PM
We talked about doing pan but there wasn't room in the schedule with 3 heats and a main for Stock, F1 and LM.

Let me get with the guys on some details for the beginner class..

Colin is smooth!

chad508
2010.04.23, 03:12 PM
i looked around but did not see an answer to weight limits for this event. id like to have my cars setup soon so i can tune with the added weight.

pedrocamp
2010.04.24, 05:19 AM
We will do a Junior, or beginner's, class as long as we get at least 4 . It will be a seperate class that will allow cars that fit in our Stock or LM class rules. The class does not require a handout motor and the entry fee will be $5.00 for this class only. You may elect to run a handout motor for another $5.00. All 70T motor rules apply to the non-handout motors but this shouldn't be a problem with the level of experience of the driver's, slower is better for new guys (even for old guys too sometimes).

Let me check on the weight rules... our weight rules are set with the AMB transponders and we will be running Core, which is considerably lighter. We may need to adjust.

pedrocamp
2010.04.24, 06:13 AM
Here are our current rules in effect for our normal Thursday night races and the HS Carolina's Cup events. Let me check on weight reductions due to the transponder weight differences. The rules have been amended to specifically allow Mantis' F1 parts.

HIGH SPEED HOBBIES
1/28TH SCALE RACING TECHNICAL RULES
RELEASED MARCH 16, 2010, AMENDED APRIL 24, 2010

Stock

Chassis and Body
Kyosho 01, 015, 02 and 03 base chassis only.
Colored Kyosho option chassis allowed.
NO aftermarket chassis allowed, i.e.: Inzane P-28, MRCG, etc…
All Kyosho option and aftermarket suspension and drive train parts allowed.
Wheelbases allowed: 86mm – 100 mm.
Kyosho, IWaver or TRP street car based bodies only.
NOT allowed: Le Mans Prototype (Porsche 962, Mazda 787, etc…), PN Pan, Atomic VDS or Lexan (polycarbonate) bodies.

Motor – Board
Equivalency formula, these combinations are allowed:

SINGLE LAYER FET combination on AM board only, any FET allowed (1 pair 3004, 3010, 4562, 8858 etc…). External turbo boards not allowed.
ONLY the following motors may be used:
PN 70T, PN Speedy07 Bush and BB, PN Speedy05, Kyosho stock motor or X-Speed. No armature swapping between motor types or rewinding, unwinding allowed. Magnets as supplied by manufacturer for motor type, no swapping or substitutions.

OPEN BOARD, any number, type and combination of FETs allowed. External turbo boards are allowed.
Only 2009 version of PNWC 70 Turn Official Stock Motor (PN Part #110670) allowed.
The PN 70T can may not be opened; the end bell may not be removed. All internal parts must remain stock.
Only the PN Carbon Silver brush (PN Part#10CR50) or Atomic Carbon brush (Atomic Part#AR008) may be used. The brush spring must snap into the end bell receivers in the original location and orientation. No material may be added or removed from the brush spring.
(Handout motors may be required at special events)

NOTE: Boards and motors can be checked at random by HSH staff or designee.

Weight
Minimum of 175g (CC Events) with batteries and transponder.

Tires and Wheels
Rubber tires only.
Any plastic or aluminum wheels allowed with the following dimensions:
Maximum front width: 8.5 mm.
Maximum rear width: 11mm.
Maximum diameter: 21 mm front and rear.

Le Mans

Chassis and Body
Kyosho 01, 015, 02 and 03 base chassis only. Colored Kyosho option chassis allowed. NO aftermarket chassis allowed, i.e.: Inzane P-28, MRCG, etc…
All Kyosho option and aftermarket motor pod, suspension and drive train parts allowed.
Wheelbase allowed: 102mm.
Kyosho Le Mans Protoype bodies only (Porsche 962, Mazda 787, etc…). PN Pan, Atomic VDS or Lexan (polycarbonate) bodies not allowed.

Motor – Board
OPEN BOARD, any number, type and combination of FETs allowed. External turbo boards are allowed.
Only 2009 version of PNWC 70 Turn Official Stock Motor (PN Part #110670) allowed.
The PN 70T can may not be opened; the end bell may not be removed. All internal parts must remain stock.
Only the PN Carbon Silver brush (PN Part#10CR50) or Atomic Carbon brush (Atomic Part#AR008) may be used. The brush spring must snap into the end bell receivers in the original location and orientation. No material may be added or removed from the brush spring.
(Handout motors may be required at special events)

NOTE: Motors can be checked at random by HSH staff or designee.

Weight
Minimum of 185g (CC Events) with batteries and transponder.

Tires and Wheels
Kyosho Le Mans tires only, all available compounds.
Any plastic or aluminum wheels allowed which fit the Kyosho Le Mans tires. Front specific tires must be run on the front and rear specific on the rear.

Formula 1

Chassis and Body
Only Kyosho plastic F1 chassis allowed.
All Kyosho option and aftermarket motor pod, suspension and drive train parts allowed.
Only Kyosho F1 bodies allowed. Aftermarket wings and bumpers allowed.

Motor – Board
Any brushed 130 sized motor is allowed. Brushless motors not allowed.

Weight
Minimum of 200g with batteries and transponder.

Tires and Wheels
Kyosho Formula 1 or equivalent aftermarket tires only, all available compounds.
Only plastic or aluminum F1 type wheels allowed

pedrocamp
2010.04.24, 06:19 AM
If we could get everyone interested in attending, that reads the forum, to post up, we would like to get an idea of handout motors needed. If you know of someone attending that does not read the forum please let us know. I will ask Wade to start a driver's list on his first post as an edit.

I will be running Stock, LM and F1.

chad508
2010.04.24, 08:02 AM
i will be running all as well

kwsmith29
2010.04.24, 09:21 AM
Give me what classes you'll be running.

Wade

Daddy Rabbit
2010.04.24, 02:33 PM
I will be running Stock, LM & F-1.

pick
2010.04.24, 03:40 PM
All 3 baby, yeahhhhhhhhhhh :cool:!!

kromie101
2010.04.24, 07:30 PM
well i think i'm running all three?i was told i might have a F-1 sponsor:D. collin might be running stock and LM,and griffin is gonna run the newbie class:). do you offer a multi car discount:eek:.

cosmicsoul
2010.04.24, 08:31 PM
I will be running all three classes as well!!!!! Is there a discount for minorities?

Traveler
2010.04.25, 06:21 AM
How about a discount for the follicularly challenged?

I will run all 3!

mleemor60
2010.04.25, 07:50 AM
Nothing grows at that altitude. Nothing. Not grass, trees or foliage of any kind. We are all a little jealous that you have a built in driver's stand. Jay probably more so than the rest of us

kwsmith29
2010.04.25, 08:29 AM
Mike, I took the liberty of entering you In all three classes. Are you going to attempt F1?

Wade

hrdrvr
2010.04.25, 09:15 AM
You know Im in for all three!!

mleemor60
2010.04.25, 09:18 AM
Mike, I took the liberty of entering you In all three classes. Are you going to attempt F1?

Wade

In for a penny in for a pound.

B-main
2010.04.25, 10:16 AM
put me down for gt stock and pan stock .

pedrocamp
2010.04.25, 10:48 AM
Sorry, we aren't running pan stock. How about LM stock? See rules and classes last page...

B-main
2010.04.25, 11:01 AM
thats cool just put me down for gt stock then

mleemor60
2010.04.25, 04:40 PM
Chris if you make the trip I will see to it that you have an LM car to run so you can at least run two classes.

sww
2010.04.25, 05:38 PM
I'll probably run all 3

pedrocamp
2010.04.26, 11:57 AM
We should run 175g for stock and 185g for LM with Core transponders. PN rules are 175 for stock. We normally run the heavier AMB transponders so our limits are 180 and 190. F1 weight at PN races is 200g, our HS limit is 200 so it should remain. Any objections? Comments?

B-main
2010.04.26, 12:09 PM
Chris if you make the trip I will see to it that you have an LM car to run so you can at least run two classes.

thanks mike . i have a car for LM but no body .

mleemor60
2010.04.26, 12:16 PM
I've got a well worn Mazda 787B that you are welcome to use. She's no beauty queen but I know you can't knock the wing off.

B-main
2010.04.26, 12:17 PM
that sounds like a plan to me

chad508
2010.04.26, 12:23 PM
i sure someone can hook you up with a body. which one had you prefer.

im fine with the weight also

kwsmith29
2010.04.26, 02:13 PM
Wow, We have a great feild of drivers lining up. Should be a good one. Now where are all those non-Carolina drivers? Hint Hint.....

Weight sounds ok to me. Maybe 180g for stock.:D

Wade

pedrocamp
2010.04.26, 05:41 PM
We normally run 180g for Stock and 190g for LM. If we remove a 5g or so transponder and harness that should be 175g and 185g. If we leave stock at 180 we should leave LM at 190. We had LM at 190 so as not to handicap the heavier Porsche bodies.

mleemor60
2010.04.26, 06:36 PM
Wow, We have a great feild of drivers lining up. Should be a good one. Now where are all those non-Carolina drivers? Hint Hint.....

Weight sounds ok to me. Maybe 180g for stock.:D

Wade

There will likely be a surprise non Carolina's driver for the event. I will say who it is as soon as he confirms. That should be sometime tomorrow.

kwsmith29
2010.04.26, 08:44 PM
Sorry guys I ment 180g for L/M not stock. 175g for stock is good....

Wade

chad508
2010.04.26, 08:46 PM
im with wade 180 for lm is even better

kwsmith29
2010.04.26, 09:29 PM
I'm sure the MR-02 L/m drivers won't agree.:D

Wade

chad508
2010.04.26, 09:36 PM
theres still people running the 02

pedrocamp
2010.04.26, 09:52 PM
James is still running the 02 very competitively. We shouldn't lower the LM weight too much and make the 02s or Porsche bodies way overweight. I know that the Sauber 03s are light but it is easy to add a bit of weight. I use it to balance my car.

hrdrvr
2010.04.27, 07:26 AM
Sorry guys I ment 180g for L/M not stock. 175g for stock is good....

Wade

im with wade 180 for lm is even better

James is still running the 02 very competitively. We shouldn't lower the LM weight too much and make the 02s or Porsche bodies way overweight. I know that the Sauber 03s are light but it is easy to add a bit of weight. I use it to balance my car.

I know weve been around this before, and Im glad to see it down to 185, but I just want to throw it out there that I think 180g is good for LM :D

FWIW, Pedro, my 03 Sauber feels perfectly balanced at an un-ballasted 171g :cool:

chad508
2010.04.27, 07:40 AM
im just playing about the weight. id prefer lower but i understand why it is higher. as long as i can tune it before we get there.

pick
2010.04.27, 09:31 AM
Alright, you bunch of hooligans :p. I guess that since I'm the only 02 left on the track, I'm probably the only one voting :rolleyes:. I'm fine with ya'll setting the weight limit wherever you want, and I'll still get pretty close with my 02. I just need to know soon. Most other races are setting the stock limit to 175g, so I think that's where we should be also. As far as LM, I like 185g :eek:. But, I could probably get close to 180g too. The thing everyone has to remember about LM is that you have to run a 102 wheelbase, an LM body, and LM size wheels and tires. If you do that (without running rubber bands for tires), you'd be hard pressed to get an 02 or 03 LM car under 180 with any aftermarket parts and a painted body :D. Either way, just let me know so I can get started.

P.S. There shall be an uprising of 02's in the future that will dethrone the 03's and render their masters useless to the Mini-Z powers to be :p!!!

pick
2010.04.27, 09:41 AM
Yes, I did just call you all a bunch of HOOLIGANS :eek:! And there shall be no more of your SHINANNIGANS either :p!

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6553/shenanigansgb7.jpg

pick
2010.04.27, 09:46 AM
I know weve been around this before, and Im glad to see it down to 185, but I just want to throw it out there that I think 180g is good for LM :D

FWIW, Pedro, my 03 Sauber feels perfectly balanced at an un-ballasted 171g :cool:

Yeah, FWIW, we'll see how well your 171g perfectly balanced 03 Sauber runs when my perfectly balanced 10EEE shoe steps on it :p. Bunch of freakin' hooligans.

chad508
2010.04.27, 10:03 AM
Yeah, FWIW, we'll see how well your 171g perfectly balanced 03 Sauber runs when my perfectly balanced 10EEE shoe steps on it :p. Bunch of freakin' hooligans.

now thats just mean.

Traveler
2010.04.27, 10:05 AM
Don't worry. He's all bark and no bite. But look out if he goes for his Tazer.:eek:

pick
2010.04.27, 10:55 AM
Instead of cheating, I prefer to resort to violence :p. That's just the way I roll :eek:.

pedrocamp
2010.04.27, 11:18 AM
I guess we should settle this before the pistol whipping starts!

We are running lower weight limits for the CC events because we are running the CORE system and not AMB. We at HS won't have to ballast up due to the missing, heavy, AMB transponder. We will also run stock at the PNWC weight which will help us tune for those events.

I think we are in agreement on the 175g weight limit for stock. This is achievable by the 02s, there are many light bodies to choose from. Our LM class has fewer body options and on average are heavier than the stock bodies. The Porsche 962 LH being the heaviest at something like 46g. We all also know that the 02 chassis is a bit heavier than the 03 chassis. I would think no one wants to see the LM class become a default spec 03/Sauber (or other light body of the moment) class, which is what would happen if the weight is set too low. I think we need to set the weight limit so that someone can choose to run a mildly optioned 02 with a Porsche body and not have to carry an extra 10g+ penalty. A minimum weight set to the heaviest sensible option would work to help keep the field diverse. Of course there is still an advantage to running a light car and body as you can add more options for performance and durability as well as ballast the car to achieve a desired weight distribution. I run an 03 Sauber myself for these reasons. I don't mind adding ballast because I can tune my weight distribution to change the handling of the car. Adding weight to a car is not a handicap. It is a handicap to race in a class in which you have no weight to add. I believe we gain nothing by setting the weight limit low and limiting chassis-body options. It can be a hassle to add weight to a chassis but ballast is cheap... chassis and bodies are not. If the 02 chassis goes the way of the 01, we all run Lipo batteries or even lighter bodies then I would say we should look at lower weight limits.

As a reference the 02/Porsche that Rodney and I drove at the Enduro was well over 200g, no ballast. It was built for durability though so light weight was secondary but nothing really out of the ordinary was done to the car.

EMU
2010.04.27, 12:11 PM
Sorry to butt in, but I completely agree with keeping the weight limit set to the Porsche body and a mildly setup MR02. We just started a spec motor (ATM USA) LM class with open parts options and wheels. I ran an MR03 with LM tires on a Sauber body. The only parts I changed were motormount/t-plate/dds/diff, front end was completely stock. We have no weight restriction, so I havent weighed my car at all yet. I can imagine that the car is much lighter than a porsche on an MR02 by at least 15g. I decided on using the Sauber and MR03 because they were the lightest in the class... I won the first race with a good margin over the first Porsche/MR02. A Mazda/MR03 was running similar laps to mine, but didnt handle the tighter sections quite as well as my Sauber.

I am going to try setting up an MR02 with WTF2 with a Porsche KH body... just to see how differently it handles, and where it weighs in.

chad508
2010.04.27, 12:29 PM
im fine with the weight being 185. adding weight is not a problem. i would like to see the lm tire rule lifted, and if we must run lm tires but are allowed to run standard wheels, is their anything saying we cant run trued down lms on standard wheels. i ask because i prefer not to run such wide offset wheels in the front, id prefer to run the mantis wheelswith trued lm tires if possible

EMU
2010.04.27, 12:39 PM
I am currently using Nascar front wheels on my LM (no offset)... Are those allowed? If so, you should try them.

chad508
2010.04.27, 01:05 PM
i have used those in the past, and that may be what i have to use this time around as well.

Traveler
2010.04.27, 02:47 PM
i would like to see the lm tire rule lifted, and if we must run lm tires but are allowed to run standard wheels, is their anything saying we cant run trued down lms on standard wheels. i ask because i prefer not to run such wide offset wheels in the front, id prefer to run the mantis wheelswith trued lm tires if possible

I believe the rule requires LM tires, but not LM rims. If this is true, I don't see a problem with running trued LM tires on std rims or Mantis 19mm fronts. Hope someone from HSH will clarrify this or correct me if I'm wrong.

Traveler
2010.04.27, 02:50 PM
Chad, Post 33 in this thread states:

Tires and Wheels
Kyosho Le Mans tires only, all available compounds.
Any plastic or aluminum wheels allowed which fit the Kyosho Le Mans tires. Front specific tires must be run on the front and rear specific on the rear.

pedrocamp
2010.04.27, 04:09 PM
I run LM (Sauber or Mazda) front wheels and std 20mm +3 rears. The LM tires fit the rear rims but the fronts on 20mm rims would be quite a stretch. ! The 19's might work, when they are available.

pick
2010.04.27, 04:18 PM
I agree that 185g is fair to all in the LM class :). However, you must run LM tires. And, you are not allowed to stretch an LM front tire over a 20mm or 21mm front wheel. Our rules were designed to only allow different wheels be run on the rear (since the LM stock rears are 20mm and the same width as standard Mini-Z wheels). The rear wheels are only swapped to allow someone to run a regular rear pod with wider offset wheels to gain the stock LM width. Otherwise, everyone would have to buy a LM aluminum pod and LM specific ball diff which isn't very cost effective. This has been one of the most fun and competitive classes we've ever run :cool:. The wheel/tire rules were put in place to hopefully keep it that way ;).

EMU
2010.04.27, 04:18 PM
LM rear wheels are standard sized, its the tires that are different. I have used the Mazda on the rear of my F355 car for a long time, and used to use the Porsche wheels on my F430GT. I am running ATM 21.5mm wheels with my LM20 tires in the rear :) Major rollout, looks like a dragster when the body is off :rolleyes:

You can also use Classic wheels for fronts. I found that these were not quite as durable as the Nascar wheels, but are a bit lighter. I think the 250GTO includes 4 0mm offset narrow wheels... If the wheel is well inside the body, there should not be much of a durability issue.

Before running LM this series at ActionRC, I would have been completely against using LM tires... but after running one race with them, I really like them, and actually prefer them to standard tires for this car. I feel no disadvantage to running standard sized tires, which others use in out LM class. The class dictates body type, wheelbase and motor. Beyond that, its pretty much an open class...

kromie101
2010.04.27, 04:48 PM
uuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmm,if i remember correctly the last time i raced LM with you guys,i won with an 02:p:).

james,i know how you feel about me but i'm on your team with the 02 chassie:D:D.

i honestly don't care if there is a weight limit in LM:). i was proved wrong the last time we ran pancars with LM cars. landon drove a LM car and me the pancar. he basically kicked my azz:(. i thought there was a big difference but to me it was proved. i know this is a big debate but this is just my opinion. i guess it depends whos' driving what. no big deal i was just running my mouth to my fingers:).

pedrocamp
2010.04.27, 05:09 PM
As James brought up, we did intend the LM class to run LM sized wheels. They don't have to be Kyosho wheels, they can be homemade, but they should be max 17mm diameter front and 20mm diameter rear, any offset. They tires should not be narrowed, they can be trued. EMU, what diameter are the NASCAR and Classic wheels?
The LM 3'0s and 20s do work very well...

pick
2010.04.27, 05:17 PM
uuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmm,if i remember correctly the last time i raced LM with you guys,i won with an 02:p:).

james,i know how you feel about me but i'm on your team with the 02 chassie:D:D.

Well, since you're such a humble winner and actually agreeing with me on the 02....................................:rolleyes:. Still, until you denounce all ties and obligations to the MBMZR crew you're still one of them :p. Now, if you do break ties maybe we'll consider accepting your application for review :D. Until then, it's all about us and them.................and you're one of THEM :mad:!!

hrdrvr
2010.04.27, 05:22 PM
^ The classic wheels and the NASCAR wheels are both 17mm. The classis wheels off of the GTO are regular width, but the NASCAR ones are like semi wide. You could run them on the front and basically get two offsets. With the tires pushed all the way in they run as 0s, but with the tire on the outside edge of the wheel, its more like +1.

Im glad you clarified the whole LM/02 thing Eric. You were going to have to remind about the last time you won in our super stock class with an 02 ;)

EMU, Ive run thinned down rear LM 20s on several different cars (from GT to pan), and really like the way they hook up. They offer a little higher roll out without having to go up on wheel size. They also seem to have a tiny bit more grip than the regular sized 20s, but less than a radial. I may be thinking this up in my mind, but I use them as a step between radial and slick 20s all the time.

EMU
2010.04.27, 05:25 PM
Pedro, Nascar and Classic wheels are both 17.5mm (or 17, I forget), same size as LM. Nascar wheels are 9.5mm wide, where classic are 8.5mm wide. With the Nascar wheels, the tire fits perfectly on the wheel, although there is a little extra space to move the tire out on the wheel a little if you want to go a little wider or narrower offset... Classic wheels, the tire is a little wider than the wheel, but it still works perfect.

mleemor60
2010.04.27, 06:20 PM
I have nothing to do with the rules for the club or the event. I did just go down to the shop and make some comparable measurements between an LM front wheel an a NASCAR wheel. The width of the LM is a solid 8.5mm X 17.1 or so. The NASCAR wheel is 9.65mm wide X 17.1 or so. The offsets on the LM wheel vary according to application while the NASCAR wheels are 0 offset. Pedro I see no reason why these wheels shouldn't be allowed as fronts in the LM class. As far as rears go I don't think anything over 20mm is within the spirit of the rules.

chad508
2010.04.27, 07:28 PM
is the reason for only allowing lm wheels up front for looks are do you believe stock wheels to have an advantage. my main thing is looks, i prefer to use matching wheels all around. i know it makes no technical gain i just prefer to have matching wheels so i know what set goes together for a certain application.

EMU
2010.04.27, 07:45 PM
I personally feel that the LM bodies run better with LM wheels. I have driven them with standard size wheels before, even at 98mm, and I never felt as comfortable or fast as I did with the LM size wheels and tires. The larger rear tire with the smaller front tire makes a very interesting combination. It really stabilizes the car due to the larger rear, but increases response due to the smaller front.

With standar wheels and tires, I always felt that the car went into the corner very fast, but I could never get the power down well on the corner exit.

Landon, The LM20 rear feels like it is the same compound as the radial, which is softer than the standard 20 slick. I have trued them down and shaped the sidewalls so they were flat, and had great results at Action with them. When trueing them, I had to adjust it very slowly, and it took a long time to true. I went through 2 tires before I figured that out, since they quickly ripped apart.

In the end, constantly trueing tires is a pain, and I leant someone my truer and havent received it back yet... (a few months). So I dont plan on trueing tires for a while.

mleemor60
2010.04.27, 07:51 PM
Chad this has no bearing on the rule but the Sauber wheels match front and rear The Rothmans Porsche wheels match front and rear. The Nisseki Porsche match front and rear and they are all interchangeable with each other. The shop keeps a variety of different styles on hand, If it is an issue I will be happy to lend you a set of whatever you would like so that you can maintain the asthetics that you like. Is your preference for black all around or white? I would take white in case you need a different offset for the front. The Mazda front is virtually indistinguishable from the Porsche. On the other hand you could slip the NASCAR fronts on in place of the Sauber fronts. They are only five spoke instead of six but at speed I don't think anybody would be able to count them. On the off chance it is an issue with tires I will front you what you need for that as well. My box is always open to help a fellow racer. Even with wardrobe concerns. Because the MBMZR group is dear to me I will even go so far as to try to get you some special Mantis fronts in the proper LM size to help just you. Can I have an AMEN.

pedrocamp
2010.04.27, 08:27 PM
The "spec" LM tires (everybody runs the 30F 20R really) were one way of limiting the class. We started running this class for the 2.4 LM readysets. We wanted to be able to run them without buying too many parts. We allowed the standard pods due to cost and availability, many of us had extra pods and we allowed the standard rear wheels for the needed offsets. I understand the mis-match wheel problem when running a non-LM rear pod, I run black PN +3 dishes with my Sauber fronts. I see no problem running F 17mm NASCAR or classic wheels since we did not limit the wheel style or make, only diameter. This class has been quite popular at our place, with close racing and a cool scale look since all the cars are from the same full scale racing series.

chad508
2010.04.27, 08:30 PM
now if you an get some matis lm fronts ill be in your debt for a lon time to come. the problem with lm rears is the offset being so small and when using standard diff you need alot wider wheel.
on a side note im not complaining about the rules i just want to make sure i follow what ever rule is in place. i asked about the fronts due to it not being stated anywhere. everything i read just said lm tires had to be used. and i am not someone who does something just because its not a stated rule. i like for rules to be very precise so i know exactly what i can and can not do. i would have hated to get up there and have trued lm tires on standard wheels and i be told they dont meet the rules you race with every week.

mleemor60
2010.04.27, 08:46 PM
Let me see if I can pull some strings down at the factory and get some specials made up. I'd like some also. It may have to be a surprise though.

pedrocamp
2010.04.27, 10:47 PM
Chad, understood. Better to get it all clear before race day. I know there are probably some other gray areas that might need some more discussion. I am sure we will fire off a few questions down there before the MB event.

I thought Mantis had the wheels made by another shop. We tried to get a bulk order for LMs a while back but not enough takers. I think Traveller knows the number we needed. I like surprises!

EMU
2010.04.28, 12:26 AM
I would definately take a couple sets of LM fronts, or full sets if front only is not an option... I have been using the 19mm front wheels on my F355 for 10 race days plus a mini enduro and havent had a single problem with them. They still have the same ATM 40 slick-R's on them :)

mleemor60
2010.04.28, 06:43 AM
He's making a list and checking it twice. He's gonna find out who's naughty or nice.

kromie101
2010.04.29, 07:51 PM
anybody find out any hotel numbers? is there a nascar race the same weekend?if it's still ok ,i might just bring the camper and stay in the parking lot if they don't mind.

mleemor60
2010.04.29, 08:14 PM
Eric sorry. What's the price range you are looking for? I'll get some rates and get back to you tomorrow night.

pedrocamp
2010.04.29, 08:53 PM
Stay in the camper so we can come bang on your windows and jump on your bumpers early in the morning!

Maybe we will be nice and bring you some greasy sausage-egg-livermush biscuits for breakfast.

We've got a great bunch of drivers on the list, we may pick up a few new guys during the weekend as well. We did order 12 more handout motors for a total of 62. Looking forward to next weekend!

MantisMMA
2010.04.29, 08:59 PM
hey guys its lookin like im gonna be able to make it up there! put me down for LM and F1!

pedrocamp
2010.04.29, 09:06 PM
Great! Looking forward to meeting you and bashing into you with one of your own wings!

chad508
2010.04.29, 10:17 PM
how about bring a few of you products for view and possible purchase if you dont mind.

kromie101
2010.04.29, 10:39 PM
mike,if they will still let me bring my camper i'm there:D. they said last time it was cool but did'nt make it.

pedro,the camper will shock you if i turn on the alarm:p:D. my wife better get up and cook me and my boys breakfest:eek:.

EMU
2010.04.30, 12:42 AM
Im in for this race too :) I may drive down with a buddy, or fly down if he is not able to come. He said he will notify me by tomorrow whether he can do the trip... So I should know by Saturday ;) It looks like its going to be a great race, and my first trip to the Carolinas (or the south besides FL).

I will run all 3 classes, although my focus will be F1 and LM. What is the entry fee for each class? I have some major F1 tuning to do before the event (havent raced that class in a while), but little track time to do it (if any track time at all).

MantisMMA
2010.04.30, 01:18 AM
Chad i will bring as much stuff as i can fit on the plane!!
EMU im in the same boat as you i dont have a track and havent raced in about four mths. only track time has been on two wide l's in my garage.

EMU
2010.04.30, 01:45 AM
Most of my bench builds work at my home track, but not knowing what grip will be like, Im just going to have to work off of a low/mid grip setup and increase front grip if I need it.

What type of track layouts do you guys run, and in general what bodies do most use in stock? Im thinking about running my f355, its a fun little car to drive :) I just hope it makes weight.

pedrocamp
2010.04.30, 06:04 AM
It will be great to meet you too Eugene! The race fee is 10 per class, this includes PN 70T motors for Stock and LM broken in and sealed by our friend CT at Reflex (though we collect them all at the end of the event and seal them in a box to use at the next Carolinas Cup race).

We will probably have one of our more technical tracks up for the event, about 8.5-9.0 second lap times. Maybe one of our members closer to the shop can post a photo. We have medium to high grip I would say.

In stock we have no one popular body at our place, a few GTRs, McLarens, Ferrari 430, Enzos, Nissans... I guess the GTR does outnumber most. In LM it's mostly Sauber now but we have a few Mazdas and a Porsche or two. Minimum weight for Stock is 175g, LM is 185g, F1 is 200g.

mleemor60
2010.04.30, 06:35 AM
mike,if they will still let me bring my camper i'm there:D. they said last time it was cool but did'nt make it.

pedro,the camper will shock you if i turn on the alarm:p:D. my wife better get up and cook me and my boys breakfest:eek:.

The Camper in the lot option is still available if that's the route you want to take.

mleemor60
2010.04.30, 06:37 AM
Most of my bench builds work at my home track, but not knowing what grip will be like, Im just going to have to work off of a low/mid grip setup and increase front grip if I need it.

What type of track layouts do you guys run, and in general what bodies do most use in stock? Im thinking about running my f355, its a fun little car to drive :) I just hope it makes weight.

Traction will be likely a bit better than you are used to. Check with Tommy.

mleemor60
2010.04.30, 06:38 AM
how about bring a few of you products for view and possible purchase if you dont mind.

I told you he was making a list. Have you been naughty or nice?

chad508
2010.04.30, 07:01 AM
I told you he was making a list. Have you been naughty or nice?

depends on who you ask

hrdrvr
2010.04.30, 07:43 AM
It'll be good to see you again Eugene!! Florida shouldn't really count as the south :D Its like a whole other world down there.

I ran a Lexus last time, but probably should have had something a little more aggressive. It was smooth and easy to drive, but I wasn't quite quick enough in the real tight transitions.

The set ups from our track are almost plug and play, and when I went up to Maj's, my cars were really close out of the box. Id say I was searching for a bit more grip at the beginning of the weekend, but by the end, I was trying to scrub it from my set ups.

Marcus, It'll be good to meet you in person! This is a good area for you to advertise your new parts. F1 always gets a good following at the events over here, and we always have good competitive races! It should be fun to run with us too :D

kromie101
2010.04.30, 08:12 AM
i will be there friday in the parking lot chillin out:D. i think they even said there was an outlet i might be able to plug into? cya friday:).thanks mike

mleemor60
2010.04.30, 08:18 AM
I will verify the plug in and let you know.

Chad. Be vewy vewy quiet. There might be something special in your stocking.

chad508
2010.04.30, 09:32 AM
looks like hsh is going to be packed this time around. i might need to get there thursday to get a good pit spot.

cosmicsoul
2010.04.30, 09:48 AM
Out of town guys mostly we run Kyosho 30 fronts and 20 rears in all classes.

Some of our more skilled drivers seem to do well with autoscale tires though.

I wonder if Vasracer will be coming? How about Jeremy, ED and Larry. Arch where are you are you coming?

Heck maybe we can setup a tent city outside the hobby shop! Sounds like a party in the making!:eek:

EMU
2010.04.30, 12:47 PM
I am going to keep my setups the same, and see how they feel when I get down there.

My buddy confirmed that he can go, so we will be driving. Right now we are planning to leave Thursday night... It should be a long drive, but I like road trips ;)

Traveler
2010.04.30, 02:01 PM
Eugene, does this buddy have a name? I look forward to meeting you and "your buddy".

EMU
2010.04.30, 05:57 PM
GIHOSU. He will be running all classes as well.

mleemor60
2010.04.30, 07:20 PM
I think that Taylor will run all three as well.

MantisMMA
2010.04.30, 11:09 PM
here is what im worki on for the race!

http://mantismma.net/Special_Projects.php

EMU
2010.05.01, 01:18 AM
Looks good. Cant wait to see the finished product :)

mleemor60
2010.05.01, 06:51 AM
Nice work. We will see if is TTT. Tub Tested Tuff. An old standard established in 1983 in a Sebring Florida Motel bathroom while waiting out a rain delay during a Fla. State series 1/12th scale race.

pedrocamp
2010.05.01, 07:22 AM
Looks cool Marcus, look forward to seeing it, I need to spray a bit of color on my boring white body!

cosmicsoul
2010.05.01, 08:35 AM
Pedro whatever happened to that awesome RED BULL body you ran at the regional last year or spring fling can't remember?

lfisminiz
2010.05.02, 07:18 PM
Hey guys, put me down for 3 classes. It may be only 2. Not sure till i get there Friday for practice. I never ran LM or F-1.:p Ill see how it goes Friday.;)

Im picking Matt up along the way too.

Questions....
Is the building A.C?:D
Any water/snack places near by?
Any eating places near by?

LARRY.............:)

VAzRACER
2010.05.02, 07:40 PM
As Larry said, I'll be coming down with him. Put me down for stock and F1. I will run LM if I can get the car together by then, it shouldnt be a problem though.

See you guys soon!:D

kwsmith29
2010.05.02, 07:43 PM
Great Larry, I got ya down for all three. Glad your going to be able to make it down. If you need some tips on what were running for set up let me know. I'll help the best I can....

Wade

kwsmith29
2010.05.02, 07:47 PM
Oops, I didn't read the complete post before I updated the list. Glad your gonna make it Matt.....

Wade

pedrocamp
2010.05.02, 08:02 PM
The Red Bull body finally succumbed to the "torrero"!

Larry, great to here you and Matt are coming down! I think the F1 race will be one to remember!

The building is airconditioned but with 30+ people it may get crowded! There are restaurants and convenience stores nearby and the shop carries drinks and snacks. We should call a taco truck for lunch!

Traveler
2010.05.02, 08:07 PM
Hey guys, put me down for 3 classes. It may be only 2. Not sure till i get there Friday for practice. I never ran LM or F-1.:p Ill see how it goes Friday.;)

Im picking Matt up along the way too.

Questions....
Is the building A.C?:D
Any water/snack places near by?
Any eating places near by?

LARRY.............:)

Larry, I look forward to finally meeting you! Please bring the whole shelf. I have access to a moving van if you need it :D

mleemor60
2010.05.02, 08:50 PM
Just to be on the safe side those of you that are travelling in, bring your CORE tags if you have them. I'm sure I have enough but better be safe than sorry.

Thanks everybody.

B-main
2010.05.02, 09:18 PM
i just got some bad news today im not going to make the race .my grandparents and some other family member are coming in to town on Friday and leaving out on Sunday.bummer for me

lfisminiz
2010.05.02, 09:28 PM
Wade...Thanks!

Pedro....Thanks for the info.:)

Traveler....I usually have more bodies along then i ever need.;)

chad508
2010.05.02, 09:50 PM
okay im just going to ask. is hsh going to be able to hold this many racers. its seems to be twice as many as the last diablo and it was pretty tight then. also with this many racers will the qualifiers and mains time be cut to allow the race to be over by 5pm? i would hate to see the owners get upset with us running over as it seems that may happen.

EMU
2010.05.02, 09:50 PM
How do the smaller CORE cards read (not the mini-F1 cards, but the square size). I may try mounting mine underneath my Mantis bumper... I dont think that I still have my old F1 card, which almost never worked welll at any track that I went to besides DOW, which I dont think I had ever seen miss.

Larry and Matt, glad that you guys can make it :) It will definitely be a fun F1 class.

Larry, I am sure that we can get your car working well in practice on Friday. I am going to go to MHS tomorrow to try some setup on my new F1 with Mantis parts. I want to do all of the body modifications before paint this time... This is the track that has the highest grip in the area, so I assume that the setup will be the closest to what it will be like in NC. My LM drove well at both NYRC and Action with no changes. I am going to add some knuckles and try different front springs tomorrow. I am only going to work on the F1 and LM.

I dont expect to have to do too much with the new SP chassis. I am going to add a PN mount (dont see the ATM mount available anywhere, and dont know if they are going to do another run anytime soon), probably swap the spur for 64p, although I may run with a 48p since this is a modified class. I would assume that the damper should be sufficient, I havent tested it yet... I will try the stock knuckles, with the Mantis upper tower and bumper, Yellow springs up front are usually what I run. Otherwise the car is too sensitive to drive smoothly through the corners. Being my first modified F1 that I am running, setup will have to be a little different than what I normally run. I usually use slower motors, and focus on corner speed.

lfisminiz
2010.05.02, 09:56 PM
Eugene, sounds good. We should be there friday 12-2 PM.

lfisminiz
2010.05.03, 04:29 AM
I would be interested in a smaller core card if they work as good.;)

pedrocamp
2010.05.03, 04:58 AM
Chad,

It will be tight but I think we can reorganize a bit to get more pit space. I did work out a schedule but we have exceeded my projections. I will work up a new one and post. I think we can bargain with Jim and Vicki, the store owners, for more time if needed.

If it keeps going we may have to cap participation per class due to space and time constraints as well as handout motor stock, we have 62! We really appreciate all the interest in the event, this will be the largest we have held and are excited to run with so many great racers!

We will test the different size Core tags before the event.

mleemor60
2010.05.03, 05:58 AM
In testing with the various size tags I have found that the smallest ones work quite well when mounted inside the body instead of under the chassis and used with the CORE loop. Same with the mid sized(square) tags. The F-1 sized tags would count when placed on top of the bumper but not under it. I find it hard to believe that a small difference in spacing could make a difference but it did. The only ones that work no matter where you place them are the originals or the large generics. I have a very limited number of the small and mid sized tags. If further testing this week shows them to be reliable I will rush order more for the event.

VAzRACER
2010.05.03, 07:53 AM
Are you guys going to use core or flipside software? We have been using flipside with the small clear tags. Ray and Mike were buying rolls of them for cheap and they are small (about 2x2in). It might be they way to go if you are worried about no having enough tags.

mleemor60
2010.05.03, 08:35 AM
I like the flipside very much but the lack of sort makes it labor intensive. I don't have the knowledge to load the small tags to Core from flipside. I have an adequate number of actual Core tags for loaners and we are continuing testing on the little tags to insure proper placement on the cars. My testing has shown the little tags to be virtually bulletproof when mounted inside the body and on top of the F-1 bumper. On the other hand when mounted under the chassis on anything they are almost as reliable as a hormonal teenager with money in hand and a list of chores to do before they can spend it. We did some testing with them yesterday on the Kyosho system and they would only work under the car and not in it. Go figure. If we have to kidnap all the old ladies at the Majong parlor and outfit them each with an abacus(sp?) we will get a good count.

MantisMMA
2010.05.03, 11:39 AM
its official! i just booked my flight and will be there around 10:30 friday! my LM car is sucking right now so i may only do stock and F1 but im bringing all of them just in case! im a little concerned about the transponder issue though. where under the body do the transponders fit? under the driver? i dont think its gonna fit on top of my wing without falling off or disrupting airflow.

EMU
2010.05.03, 12:08 PM
I have never mounted the transponder inside of the body. I dont think I have any room, since it would have to be mounted in front of the suspension bridge. I will try a few different card placements today, and see if there is anything that I can come up with, I really dont want to mount the car on top of the body, my cars never work well with the card mounted that way... At MHS they dont use CORE, so I cant test the transmission of the card in that location. From what I know, you cannot fold the cards, but can bend them slightly. You can also cut out the center of the larger cards, where they dont have any traces. I dont know if the same is true for the mid size cards, especially since they have plastic on one side.

mleemor60
2010.05.03, 12:13 PM
As long as the little cards work you just tape it to the inside of the hood or windshield and all is well. If we have to resort to the actual CORE tags you can mount them about anywhere on the car as long as they aren't folded.

EMU
2010.05.03, 12:32 PM
Just to clarify, I am only speaking about F1 ^^. I mount all of my cards inside the body for all other classes.

V4 of the Mantis wing should have a core card built into them :p

My ride is here to go to MHS. First test day at a track (without racing) I have had in at least 2 years... I hope to get a lot done. I want to make sure that 3 of my cars are race ready, and also want to compare the performance with the Mantis wing. I will probably use a Standard or Stock BB motor for all of the testing.

VAzRACER
2010.05.03, 12:38 PM
I've had good luck just taping the tags over the battery door of the f1. Just make sure you use good tape so it won't drag the ground. I have tried bending them but it doesn't work after that.

mleemor60
2010.05.03, 01:06 PM
In all the testing I have done with the small tags I have found them to be unreliable if attached to the bottom of the car like they are on the Dnano. EXCEPT when using the Kyosho lap timer system that was released for use with the Dnano's. Then it needed to be under the car like a Dnano in order to read.

Matt I will get in touch via email later today or this evening to quiz you on the flipside system that you have been using.

hrdrvr
2010.05.03, 02:54 PM
WOW! This is really shaping up! It should be an interesting bid for the individual Carolina Cup! We've got the same crowd who fought for it last time in Rodney, Chad, Wade, James, and myself, but now we are stacking Pedro, EMU, and Larry in the mix, with Marcus and Matt tempted to run 3rd classes, and Eric looking for an F1 to drive. If Marcus, Matt, and Eric run all 3, we are looking at a 10+ person battle royale for the cup!!

For you guys on the fence for the third class, here is a little tid bit from the last race. Eric won Mod, and finished second in super stock and GT stock. Had he run F1, he could have finished last in the total field and would have still walked away with the trophy! He didn't have an F1, and walked away with nothing....:D j/k big guy ;) IMO, you've got to run all the classes to have a legit shot at winning!

Also, just for any one wondering, who ever wins the individual Carolina Cup (no matter where you are from) will need to return it for the next CCC event. Your name will be engraved on it forever, and your points will count towards the over all yearly total which will decide the permanent owner of the cup.

Matt, Larry, It'll be good to see you guys again. It's always good clean racing, and I'm looking forward to doing it again!

kromie101
2010.05.03, 04:31 PM
how long are the qualifiers and mains gonna be? how are the qualifiers gonna be sorted out,will it be random or stacked heats?

lfisminiz
2010.05.03, 06:02 PM
Landon...you said it! It was a last minute descision. Looks like a crazy good field of drivers.:eek: It will be good to see you and "pop" again.:)

mleemor60
2010.05.03, 06:11 PM
how long are the qualifiers and mains gonna be? how are the qualifiers gonna be sorted out,will it be random or stacked heats?

Stacked heats? I imagine that the heats will be loaded as they normally are. Known skill level. That way you hot dogs won't have me as a rolling roadblock. There is tin in the wind. You don't want it decided by someone in the way.

kromie101
2010.05.03, 08:09 PM
10-4,roger dogger big dog. i am ready to load the camper up and roll out know:D. mike,do you know if they have a outlet to plug into outside? i might just pop the tent up and chill outside:).

EMU
2010.05.03, 09:19 PM
Eric, if you need an F1, I should be able to help you out.

I just got home from MHS, working on my new SP2 Carbon F1 to prepare for the Carolina Cup. Out of the box, I installed the Mantis bumper and caster/camber towers. Prepped the body (which took longer than I expected, but I wanted to do it right). I put it on the track, and was impressed... I was still using the stock parts everywhere; mount, side springs, Kyosho damper, ball diff and X-Speed with 6t pinion, tie rod/knuckle. I wanted to see what the car would be like with only the Mantis bumper and towers. And it was pretty driveable... Could definitely be a raceworthy car with some tweaking with the stock parts.

After a couple laps, the car started hooking to the left. The diff was packed with a lot of grease out the box, and the diff plate was slipping on the plate holder. I swapped in an ATM diff (46t) for a quick fix... and it was back to good again. I will rebuild it, and swap out some of the stock Kyosho parts for Qteq and glue the plates in place.

I then swapped out the stock mount for a PN with ATM Stock BB that I had on an F1 that I had started using as a parts car at the ALS race... I used the side springs as well, which is something that I didnt like to do with a standard Disc damper setup where I usually use a top shock. Being that this is a mod class car, I dont want the top shock, as I want a little more squat on power than one that I run for stock motors.

Besides adding the mount, diff (if I rebuilt the stock one, it would work fine), Mantis bumper and Caster towers, I didnt really do much, but the car felt very planted, and almost had the control of a stock car at the higher speeds. Something that I feel is usually lost when going to a faster motor. There are usually more problems that show through.

It felt better at faster speeds than I expected it to. That says a lot for the caster towers. Transitioning in the corners was very smooth, despite some binding on the stock knuckles that I am going to hone a little before the next track day.

With so many neccessary parts coming on the SP2 chassis, it only took me about 4 hours to get the car race ready, although it isnt fully built up with a lot of option parts that I usually replace on my F1 builds. I still have stock tie rod(which I may leave because I feel confidant that the Mantis bumper will protect it). I am going to install the Mantis rear wing as well. I think that it will finish the setup perfectly. I could use a little more rear bite with the Kyosho 30 fronts. I feel that they are just a little too grabby.

I am really excited for this race. It should be a lot of fun, win or lose.

mleemor60
2010.05.04, 06:46 AM
10-4,roger dogger big dog. i am ready to load the camper up and roll out know:D. mike,do you know if they have a outlet to plug into outside? i might just pop the tent up and chill outside:).

I will get back to you today on all your questions.

Daddy Rabbit
2010.05.04, 12:11 PM
Larry,It will be good to see you and race with you again, glad you could make it.

As far as Matt goes, he's like a regular member at our club, always a pleasure.

Eric,
You can borrow my old F-1 if you like, it is the one that Ed used in the past. I have it with me in FL, you will not be race with it until next Monday when we get back. Unless you want me to FedX it to the office for you. Let me know.

mleemor60
2010.05.04, 01:40 PM
Eric I forgot to ask about the plug in but I don't see it as an issue. i will still verify and get back to you.

Daddy Rabbit. Do you suppose the two of us can handle tech as opposed to hoppin around chasing cars?

Daddy Rabbit
2010.05.04, 05:19 PM
Mike, if you are saying will I help tech instead of marshalling, YOU GOT IT!:cool:
I marshalled at the enduro enough for a life time.:D
I am too old for that part of the sport, not to mention my spare tire.;)
Old guys need a break every now and then.

lfisminiz
2010.05.04, 06:06 PM
ANDY.............i know what you mean:eek:....us old guys!;):p

mleemor60
2010.05.04, 06:43 PM
I will wear my OLd Guy's Rule shirt.

Daddy Rabbit
2010.05.04, 07:45 PM
Larry, you have a way to go to catch Mike and me.:)
Look forward to seeing you. Why don't you grab Ed C also on the way down and get him to race with us again? If I remember correctly he was the one that got you to come this far SOUTH the first time for a race.:D

lfisminiz
2010.05.04, 09:22 PM
Well Andy, Eds a long story.;)

chad508
2010.05.04, 09:44 PM
Well Andy, Eds a long story.;)

i know i haven't seen him post in a long while. hope all is well with him

lfisminiz
2010.05.04, 09:45 PM
Chad, he is fine.........just very busy.;)

Daddy Rabbit
2010.05.05, 10:04 AM
Busy is a good thing.:)

chad508
2010.05.06, 09:50 AM
pedro were you able to get a new schedule made up for the race?

Daddy Rabbit
2010.05.06, 10:52 AM
Hey guys, what has happened to Dale & Rylan?
I thought at the last race at HSH he was getting back into mini z.

pedrocamp
2010.05.06, 10:58 AM
I have attached a PDF schedule drawn up from our attendance so far. We run a bit laterr than anticipated but Jim and Vicki will allow us to run till we are done (but not too late!).
We have added a Beginners/Junior class though as of now only Griffin is listed, we may have more show up race day though. We will roll the beginners ino the regular heats if we don't have at ;east 4. Remember this class is for Stock and LM class cars and does not require a handout motor though a stock, unopened PN 70T or Kyosho stock (no X-Speed) motor is. The entry fee for the Beginners class is $5.00.
Also please remember that we do not allow any tire traction compounds or tire softeners. We allow straight alcohol or water/alcohol solutions and aerosol motor sprays. WD-40, Simple Green and other similar "cleaners" are not allowed. We want to keep our track healthy!

EMU
2010.05.06, 11:16 AM
Looks like a good schedule Pedro. With some healthy time between the heats... I see no practice between the rounds, but looks like there is before the main. I just want to double check this is correct.

Thank you for clearing up the tire cleaning regulations. If grip is as good as what I have heard, adding traction would be the last thing on my mind. I dont like that these 'cleaners' are an option at a few of the local tracks, it almost forces you to do the same to be competetive. I have also noticed a general drop in grip on the track, so I feel that you are doing the correct thing to protect the track.

chad508
2010.05.06, 11:36 AM
i read the pdf but am unsure if the qualifiers 4 are 5 minutes.

EMU
2010.05.06, 11:40 AM
It looks like the qualifiers are 5 minutes with a 4 minute warm up for the next race. Although, it could be the other way around :rolleyes:

kwsmith29
2010.05.06, 11:42 AM
I'll let pedro comfirm, but it should be 4 min heats with 5 min between....

Wade

chad508
2010.05.06, 12:44 PM
if it is that way, why not make it 5min qual and 4min warmup. id rather have more race time than wait time. just my 2 cents

hrdrvr
2010.05.06, 12:48 PM
I say you leave it like it is with 4 minute heatss, and just move on when the drivers dont need the full 5 minutes. We could still get out of there at the time Jim and Vicki want if we move faster than the schedule. Making the heats longer owuld just impede us from being able to shave that minute off of the end time.

EMU
2010.05.06, 01:57 PM
One plus for the 4 min qualify heats, is that it would be slightly easier to estimate pace for the mains, since you can just double the qualify runs... I have never run a 4 min heat, but from my understanding, that is the norm in 10th scale. It will be interesting, especially since my cars take a little while to 'warm up'.

chad508
2010.05.06, 02:10 PM
thats why i push for 5min. me and my cars seem to take a while to settle down. but which ever is cool, i was just curious. now i can run my prototype 500mah cell, they should be able to make it now.

lfisminiz
2010.05.06, 03:05 PM
Might need a small break in there for people to eat possibly?:)

EMU
2010.05.06, 05:37 PM
I dont eat when I race. It makes me drive slow. I just have to make sure that I eat a good breakfast, and have some food reserve for after racing is over.

Everyone at the local tracks see me buy food, but never eat it, then I take it home and eat it when I get home. I just never have time to eat... so I dont expect to at this race. Maybe a few small snacks here and there, but never a real meal.

mleemor60
2010.05.06, 08:15 PM
There will be a lunch break after the first round. There will be food. Nothing heavy just BBQ ribs and chicken done on sight. Might be some brisket but the time frame for preparation isn't long enough. We shall see.

lfisminiz
2010.05.06, 09:54 PM
Thats fine....nothing time consuming that takes long. Im driving home after, so getting out at a early time helps.;)

lfisminiz
2010.05.06, 10:42 PM
Hey guys...trying to put the High Speed Hobbies address in my GPS. Its not taking the address. Heres what i have....

High Speed Hobbies
2510 Highway 29 South
China Grove, NC. 28023

Keeps giving me 29 North..............any ideas or is something wrong? Or another address thats near hobby shop.

THANKS..........LARRY

kwsmith29
2010.05.07, 01:28 AM
I'm not sure what to tell you as far as GPS corrdinants(sp?). I know the Hobby shop address won't pull up on any GPS. I'll get you a usable address close by and get you directions from there....

Wade

pedrocamp
2010.05.07, 05:43 AM
I will adjust the schedule for lunch/sort breaks...

Traveler
2010.05.07, 05:53 AM
Hey guys...trying to put the High Speed Hobbies address in my GPS. Its not taking the address. Heres what i have....

High Speed Hobbies
2510 Highway 29 South
China Grove, NC. 28023

Keeps giving me 29 North..............any ideas or is something wrong? Or another address thats near hobby shop.

THANKS..........LARRY

Larry! First time I used GPS to get there, I drove up to someone's house about 6 miles from the shop! Try this address. It works in Google Maps, not sure about GPS. You could compare the two!

2454 Highway 29
Landis, NC‎

hrdrvr
2010.05.07, 08:38 AM
My GPS took me to some random spot on a desolate road, lol.

However, The directions James and Mike gave took me right to the shop :D

MantisMMA
2010.05.08, 12:08 AM
well here is what y'all are gonna have to deal with next weekend!! be skeered, be VERY skeered!
http://www.mantisworx.com/special-projects/

EMU
2010.05.08, 02:59 AM
I went to MHS to do some more testing. I ran my LM in mod with an ATM USA motor at MHS. I traction rolled it a few times on a bumpy section of the track (low tile on a sweeper). F1 was a debut run with a new car, 2nd place car is my normal runner driven by a kid that can wheel pretty fast, but needs more consistancy. In stock I used my f355. All three are cars that I am planning on using at the Carolina race. LM will probably be my weakest class, but I am going to work on it at Action tomorrow which will be my last track time before I go down for the race.

PNWC 2010 layout
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29784&stc=1&d=1273303608
Mod had an error in the laptimer, was set to 1min instead of 10, so we just ran 9 instead of swapping batteries and running another heat.. It was late...

The F1 that I drove, my backup car and Shafiqs car all used Mantis v1 front wings. The kid driving it gave me a good battle in the 2nd qualifier and the start of the main.

Elvins car used the ATM wrap around plastic bumper, flared out to cover the wheels. Shafiq had a 59s lap, which is why he was down so many laps. He had an issue with a rear wheel.

My laptimes with the F1 were pretty good, faster than either of my other cars, and .2s slower than the fastest lap of the night (Maj is super fast in Mod and Stock, expected to be on the podium in the PNWC regional)

I did have a LOT of glitching early in qualifying, motor stutter... I charged my TX batteries, adjusted some ICS settings (was stock settings in qualify, and I think the Virtual Inertia makes it very difficult to drive when it glitches) and stood on the opposite side of the drivers stand in the main and it was 'better', but not completely gone. At least the car wouldnt run on when I was coasting and was different everytime I went through the bottom left of the track. I am going to install an AM antenna as I have on my backup car, which seems to help a bit Standing on the left side of the track where I was having the problem seemed to help as well. I didnt have any issues on the right side of the track.

It was a good test day, especially since I have not run F1 for a few months. A lot of people were interested in running F1 at MHS tonight... Primarily due to the Mantis bumper :) They havent run the class for a little while, but I asked nicely and we had 4 people after I lent out my backup car :p

Sorry for the long post :rolleyes:

mleemor60
2010.05.08, 06:37 AM
It is terrific to see so many people taking this so seriously.

bermbuster
2010.05.08, 07:12 AM
The F1s looked great last night at Majs.....
The new Mantis bumper looks awesome (much less intimidating in real life than the photos) The racers ran like true gentleman (when a hit was unavoidable the driver let off the throttle and there was no carnage....)
All I can say is if you dont have one for this upcoming race try to get one.....

EMU
2010.05.08, 10:00 AM
One thing that I really like about the bumper, is that the bumper is flat, so when there is contact between another car, it is less damaging to the other car. I hit my backup car pretty hard, and was relieved to see nothing fall on to the track. I still have the stock tie rod and knuckles on my car, and felt very safe about that. My backup has Kyosho knuckles and an alloy tie rod (not sure on the company). The bumper passed the abuse test, in practice and in the race. Mikey and I drove very close for the first 10-15 laps, a few inches apart as I was trying to negotiate the pass for the lead. I would nose in to see if there was any room, realised it wasnt going to work, then backed of and tailed him for a few more corners before I attempted again. I felt confident about running that close, and I think the bumper is going to make the racing a little closer, but not more dangerous... You will still get tangled up, but thats open wheeled racing. At least on the boards, the cars would glance off and scrub considerable speed, but not come to a standstill..

I feel that the bumper makes the car a little less darty in handling, and much smoother in transition, I think that the less overhang with the mass towards the edge makes it drive a little more like an 02 with a body.

My backup car was using PN15 for the first round of qualifying. I won the last trophy race at NYRC with this car against Sai Tam (who just managed to beat me by less of a second at the PN regional, Atomic regional and MHS Garden State shootout), grip isnt quite as good at NYRC as it is at MHS, so the PN15 front was the tire to use. I slapped the bumper on, binded it to his EX-1UR, adjusted some of the settings... the car was pushing a bit, but still ticked off 8.9s laps since it could come out of the corner very hard. After changing the car to K30's, the balance of the car was much better, and the hot lap came down to 8.6 in the main with no other changes.

I think that the yellow springs that I normally run may be a little too stiff. I was using the stock front springs on my car, and felt that the spring rate was good. The extra clearance that there is to the track means that you dont have to use the yellow spring like the Kyosho or ATM bumper that is much lower to the track. My current car with stock springs and PN15 had more steering response than my backup with yellow springs and K30. I feel that this is also due to the fact that I am using side springs on my new car. I am expecting a tight layout, so I think side springs may be the move.

My car did take a little while to come up to speed, so short runs it wont be strong. I did my fastest lap in the last 30s of the race. Maybe the ATM stock has too much torque for my setup... I may want to go with a high speed motor instead of high torque. I will have to see what grip is like. Does HSH carry these motors? I havent driven mod in a while, I usually just use the Stock BB for my racers when I want mod speeds.

Traveler
2010.05.08, 05:11 PM
Getting ready to weigh my cars and it looks like the min weights are 175g for Stock, 185g for LM and 200g for F1. Is this correct???

Pedro, I'd suggest you edit post #33 which seems to have the previous minimums.

Thanks! :)

lfisminiz
2010.05.08, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys...ill try that address.;)

lfisminiz
2010.05.08, 08:13 PM
Larry! First time I used GPS to get there, I drove up to someone's house about 6 miles from the shop! Try this address. It works in Google Maps, not sure about GPS. You could compare the two!

2454 Highway 29
Landis, NC‎

Ok, i tried this address for my GPS and it didnt work either. US 29, Landis NC. came up?? Any other ideas for address for the shop or real close by??

Thanks again:)

kwsmith29
2010.05.08, 09:04 PM
Larry,

Use this addrress. I'll asume you'll be coming in via NC I-85 headed south.

2825 N Cannon Blvd Ste B, Kannapolis, NC (Food Lion Grocery store).

If coming via I-85 south this address will bring you right past High Speed on your right on US-29 S. Probley about one mile before you get to this destination address.

If you need more info or help getting in e-mail me and send you my cell #...

Wade

mleemor60
2010.05.09, 10:02 AM
Larry try 2454 US29S China Grove. That should do it.

lfisminiz
2010.05.09, 11:08 AM
WADE - your address basically works. I had to check mapquest on how i was comming in because im comming from Matts place in VA. to you guys. Mapquest says comming in on I85 S./US 29 BYP/US 29 S. The actual adress my GPS gave was....
2825 n cannon blvd
kannapolis, nc. 28083

MIKE - the GPS, on what you gave me, gives........
china grove, nc. ...........instead of us 29 south, my options are....
29-byp
29a

????????:rolleyes:

mleemor60
2010.05.09, 11:25 AM
Use 29. I will check out a couple other close by addresses.

This is right across the road: Corriher Well drilling
2535 S US 29 Hwy China Grove, NC 28023

Traveler
2010.05.09, 03:13 PM
Getting ready to weigh my cars and it looks like the min weights are 175g for Stock, 185g for LM and 200g for F1. Is this correct???

Pedro, I'd suggest you edit post #33 which seems to have the previous minimums.

Thanks! :)

Can someone confirm agreed upon weight minimums???

EMU
2010.05.09, 04:36 PM
From my understanding:
Stock: 175g
LM: 185g
F1: 200g

All of my cars are under their weight limits (172g, 176g, and 192g), so I can utilise the ballast weight to balance the chassis for the track layout. Also, I can centrally locate the mass as much as I can. I just built up a second LM car last night (using ATM LM mount), but havent weighed it yet. It should be heavier than the first, by possibly 2g :)

pedrocamp
2010.05.09, 06:17 PM
Weight limits, confirmed for this event:
175g Stock
185g LM
200g F1

Our normal limits are (which we go back to after the CC event, if we go back to AMB transponders):
180g Stock
190g LM
200g F1

We dropped 5g in Stock and LM for this race due to the transponder change and to more closely align with the PNWC rule for Stock. We decided to leave F1 as-is.

Post #33 corrected, thanks Marwan.

Traveler
2010.05.09, 08:22 PM
Thanks Pedro!

Eugene, my cars are a little light too.

pick
2010.05.10, 05:36 AM
I can't advise reference any GPS coordinates, but for those coming to the Carolina's Cup race this weekend these are the best directions I know:

From I-85 South:
Take Exit number 68 towards NC-152/China Grove/US 29/Rockwell
Merge onto US-29 Bypass South
US-29 Bypass South becomes US-601 South
Continue to Landis City Limits
Store is on right just before the 3rd Stop Light
Approximately 2.0 miles after the Food Lion store

From I-85 North:
Take Exit number 63, Lane Street turn left at end of ramp.
Follow until you reach the stop light at US 29.
Turn right at the stop light, this will be US-29 North.
Stay on Hwy 29 through Kannapolis.
After you pass a Sonics on the right side of the road, our store will be
approximately 100 yards after the next stop light on the left.
You will need to make a U-turn to return to our store.

For those of you using Mapquest the address is:
High Speed Hobbies
2510 Hwy 29 S.
China Grove, NC 28023

And just in case you get lost , the phone # to High Speed Hobbies is:
(800) 357-5298 or (704) 855-2940

As long as you can find I-85, these directions will definitely get you to HSH :D. Now if you're a MBMZR member..............give me a call and I'll give you some SPECIAL directions :p. Looking forward to seing everyone soon :).

MantisMMA
2010.05.10, 07:41 PM
finished my F1's! what do ya think? the virgin car was a real PITA!

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/mantisworx/DSCN2181.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/mantisworx/DSCN2182.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/mantisworx/DSCN2183.jpg

mleemor60
2010.05.10, 08:06 PM
Nicely done.

VAzRACER
2010.05.10, 08:13 PM
Nice job Marcus, which body did you start with for the Renault? It's nice to see so many different paint schemes latley, I remember when I first started racing F1 out of eight cars there would be seven red Ferrari's.:p

I'm going to have to pick up two of the new wings from you, even though I bought the V1's. I love the way they look. Are you bringing some parts with you to sell, I would like to get the wings and barge boards from you while your there. Thanks. Matt

chad508
2010.05.10, 08:17 PM
i hope he brings a few things as a few of the mbmzr guys are looking at several things as well. plus i hope he gets there early friday so i can run them before saturday

MantisMMA
2010.05.10, 08:22 PM
im bringing ALOT of stuff! my flight arrives at 1030 and i plan on being at the track as soon as mike can get me there!

Matt they were both Mclaren's the R30 has a bunch of bodywork done to hide the dual shock system. i should have smoothed out the VR01 car more and i may redo it after the weekend, not really happy with it, the paint scheme is harder than it looks! but it looks good on the track!

VAzRACER
2010.05.10, 08:38 PM
im bringing ALOT of stuff! my flight arrives at 1030 and i plan on being at the track as soon as mike can get me there!

Matt they were both Mclaren's the R30 has a bunch of bodywork done to hide the dual shock system. i should have smoothed out the VR01 car more and i may redo it after the weekend, not really happy with it, the paint scheme is harder than it looks! but it looks good on the track!

I'll have some cash money ready for you!:D

I thought they were both McLaren's but the vents on the Renault threw me for a second but it makes since due to the location of the side shocks. They both look good to me but I guess I'm never really happy with my own work either.:rolleyes:

Any chance you might have some of the t-plate systems for sale? I'm looking forward to trying those when they are ready.

MantisMMA
2010.05.10, 08:49 PM
i had planned on bringing a few but all of my material has been used up by orders this week so i wont have time to get more matl in, that and i really want to see how it fairs with other cars on the track. if it performs well this weekend i will put them in line for production. if you are around friday i will let you drive it and see what you think.

BTW are we going to have F1 specific practice time?

lfisminiz
2010.05.10, 09:35 PM
Mantis/Marcus, they all look sharp. IF i get my painted body back in time from Davey G....and have the time;), ill try to have it along. Its more of a custom, none F-1 paint job. You can see it before decals on Davey G thread.

I have your F and R wings and side plates....well done. Ill probably buy your new front wing too.

Ill be there Friday.

LARRY

chad508
2010.05.10, 09:59 PM
all the mb crew will be there on friday as well. seems that friday might be a s busy as saturday. and im sure the hsh crew can get us some f1 only practice

EMU
2010.05.10, 10:49 PM
I think you should run the Virgin. That way you will dump halfway through the race, a few laps down :rolleyes:

They both look good man. Cant wait to see them in person.

Love the gold wheelnuts on the Renault, I would have liked to have seen red ones on the Virgin. (you know when someone is complaining about wheelnut colors, that its basically a compliment).

pedrocamp
2010.05.11, 06:09 AM
Please remember this is a handout motor event for the Stock and LM classes. The PN 70T motors we will be using have been broken in by Cristian of Reflex Racing and are ready to go... no further break-in is necessary. As the motors will be used at the next CC event, we urge that you use a lubricant that is not abusive to the brushes or comm. PN 70T motors can be quite long lived if treated properly but can be worn out quickly, or the commutator glazed, if an unsuitable lubricant or an aggressive commutator drop is used. When the motors are returned after the Mains we will spray out all the motors with a standard aerosol motor spray and check for excessive brush or commutator wear. If the brush and or commutator show excessive wear or glazing and cannot be used at the next event, the racer shall be responsible for the cost of replacement, $10. The worn motor will be destroyed since it is a sealed, controlled motor and a replacement will be purchased for the next event.
Standard aerosol RC motor sprays may be used to clean the motor throughout the event. Please note that some automotive brake or carb cleaners have different formulations that attack the plastics used on RC cars and should not be used. Although tire traction compounds such as Paragon and TQ and cleaners such as WD-40 and Simple Green are not allowed to be used on the tires at HSH, the same aerosol motor sprays used for the motors may be used to clean the tires since some invariably ends up on the tires after spraying a motor. These sprays have fast evaporation rates and leave no residue on the tires.
If anyone has a question or concern about their motor lube, please see Mike Morse at HSH for a safe, suitable motor bushing lube for use with the handout motors. You may also post here for recommendations from other racers.

Thanks,

Pedro

mleemor60
2010.05.11, 06:17 AM
Also for those traveling to get here. Is there anything that you need to know that hasn't been posted? If there is then let's get it out so we can cover it before everybody hits the road.

With the huge volume of F-1 cars(18) I think it should be necessary to have some restricted practice for the F-1's at least.

MantisMMA
2010.05.11, 07:06 AM
what about parts? i need some 20 rears for the f1

Traveler
2010.05.11, 07:30 AM
That shouldn't be a problem. Mike makes sure the store is well stocked, but if they don't have any, I've got you covered.

mleemor60
2010.05.11, 07:35 AM
A reasonably substantial number of F-1 parts were ordered for the event. Tire and even wheel sets were ordered in some quantity.

On the 02, 03, LM front there were stock shortages of Kyosho 20's and 30's from the big K. There are some in stock and it should be enough as long as nobody get's greedy.

We also have a full compliment of Kyosho 03 parts and a good supply of aftermarket bits for all lines.

pedrocamp
2010.05.11, 10:49 AM
We will be doing a final test of our Core/Flipside system this Thursday night. If we do not see reliable counting we will switch to the Giro/Z-Round system that Landon of the MB group has offered to bring up. This of course is the same system used at the PNWC events and I know many of you have the power leads and would request that you bring them with, just in case. The Giro will be set up early Friday should we decide to switch and will be available for practice times. Likewise if the Core proves reliable this too will be available for practice times Friday.
We apologize for any inconvenience but we want to be sure we have accurate counting for the event, especially since such valuable prizes as cars, boats, furniture suites and fabulous Pacific island vacations are on the line!

chad508
2010.05.11, 11:21 AM
We apologize for any inconvenience but we want to be sure we have accurate counting for the event, especially since such valuable prizes as cars, boats, furniture suites and fabulous Pacific island vacations are on the line!

thats what im talking about.

kromie101
2010.05.11, 01:24 PM
one thing for sure, i will be using my ear muffs head phones what ever you wanna call them:D. i might bring ear plugs if anybody needs them:p.

mike,is it still ok with the camper? she is hooked up and ready to roll.

for qualifying are we gonna be on our own clock and not heads up?

me and collin will be there before noon i hope.

it's official,i have a EMU F1 sponcer;). i've already signed the contract:D.

DR,i hope you still love me:p. now you can have a back up car:).

PS,i vote for giro-z. i might have an extra transponder if needed. cya friday.

Daddy Rabbit
2010.05.11, 02:42 PM
Marcus,
Are you going to bring some F-1 parts for sale to the CC Race?
If so, please put me down for a front and rear wing.
Thank you.

mleemor60
2010.05.11, 02:43 PM
Just in case somebody needs it the shop can be located at Latitude 35* 24' 34" N and Longitude 80* 35' 58" W

chad508
2010.05.11, 03:43 PM
i may parachute in now

MantisMMA
2010.05.11, 03:49 PM
Marcus,
Are you going to bring some F-1 parts for sale to the CC Race?
If so, please put me down for a front and rear wing.
Thank you.

i am bringing a fair amount of stuff with me but i am getting bombarded with "dibs" so at this point unless the parts are pre-paid its gonna have to be first come first serve on what i bring!! im actually trying to get more matl so i can make more but its gonna be close!

it would be nice to see what everyone wants ahead of time so maybe if the moderator can put a list on this thread i can make sure i got everyone covered. BTW i am gonna have a bag of FREE stuff to raffle away or whatever the operator wants to do with it!

on second thought lets do it this way: email me at muscletexx@yahoo.com and use this format,
in the title put "CC parts list"
name (real and forum)
parts and quantity

you are not going to be held responsible if you cannot buy what you send me , this is just to give me and idea of what to bring. cut off will be tomorrow night so i can spend all day thursday machining it all. as of right now i have:
8 V1 bumpers
8 V2 bumpers
10 tower bars
10 DDS
5 styrene wings
5 carbon wings
10 sideplates systems
3 wing mounts
and HOPEFULLY 20 pr of front group C wheels.

EMU
2010.05.11, 04:25 PM
Email sent Marcus :)

MantisMMA
2010.05.11, 04:30 PM
how are you guys mounting the GIRO transponders on the f1?

EMU
2010.05.11, 04:33 PM
Infront of the drivers head. You can route teh wire through the side vent or upper vent. On my newest one, I dont have the driver installed, so there is a hole there that I put the ASF antenna and transponder wire that goes to the ICS port.

chad508
2010.05.11, 05:46 PM
what emu said. i to am sending an email.

lfisminiz
2010.05.11, 06:53 PM
Marcus, you got e-mail.;)

By the way...........DDS, is that the 02/03 chassis? I assume not for F-1.

EMU
2010.05.11, 08:46 PM
DDS is for 02/03...

Daddy Rabbit
2010.05.12, 03:03 PM
Marcus,

You have been "E" mailed again.

pedrocamp
2010.05.12, 03:29 PM
PLEASE NOTE:

Mike has been testing the Flipside/CORE timing system and has determined that it may be best to switch to the Giro/ZRound system graciously offered by Landon of MBMZR. This is the same system used at the PNWC events and most racers on the entry list have had experience running with the system and have the required power leads. Landon has loaner transponders and will have spare leads should anyone need them. If anyone has their own leads and possibly spare leads we ask that you bring them.
We apologize for any inconvenience but feel we need to make this switch to provide the most trouble free, enjoyable race day we can. We again thank Landon for making his system available.

EMU
2010.05.12, 04:08 PM
I prefer the Giro-Z to CORE, especially for F1 :) This is good news, I dont want to have to run a core card on the outside of the body.

lfisminiz
2010.05.12, 07:15 PM
Ditto!! :)

hilldebrandt
2010.05.13, 05:26 PM
Good Luck to everyone racing. I wish I could go, but I couldn't get time off from work...:(

lfisminiz
2010.05.13, 05:59 PM
See you guys tomorrow.:)

MantisMMA
2010.05.13, 07:37 PM
i have been sitting behind this machine for two solid days straight! i am glad to get the hell outa here tomorrow!

Davey G
2010.05.14, 08:57 AM
When does the LIVE FEED go on???

kwsmith29
2010.05.14, 09:12 AM
You shouldn't need a live feed.....

You should be here....

:):):):):)

pedrocamp
2010.05.15, 04:15 AM
We haven't set ourselves up for live feed but we will try to post some reports during the day. We should look into it for future events. Landon though has his video production studio set up so we get that up at least post race. Thanks for your interest and wish you could have made it Dave....

pedrocamp
2010.05.15, 04:20 AM
Senna vs Prost vs Mansell! Villenueve vs Arnoux! Schumacher vs Hamilton! OK I am exaggerating but we should have some good F1 racing today... if you are in the area, come on out with your multicolor fro, blaster horn and Tifosi T-Shirt! Please no bus burning in the bog.

Davey G
2010.05.15, 07:02 PM
Congrats to EMU for winning every class he entered! Good job representing the North East!

kwsmith29
2010.05.16, 08:59 AM
I'd like to say thanks to everybody that made it here for this event. We had a great time and some very good racing. Everything went farily smooth.

Thanks to Mantis, Atomic, PN and other sponsors who gave prizes for our give away. I belive everybody got something.

I was a little worried about the tight layout, but I think it ended up making for some great racing.

Eugene, great day. Nice hat trick.

I missed my goal of making all three mains by one, but overall I was competive and had a great time racing with everyone. There was a lot of good racing and anyone in the B-mains could have easily been in the A.

I want to thank Pedro and Mike for all the help putting this event together, we couldn't have done this with out you. Thanks to Jim, Vicky, and all the staff at High Speed Hobbies. And special thanks to race director Andy for a great job. Can't wait to do it again.

Thanks again to all who came and helped make this happen,
Wade

Scrapper
2010.05.16, 09:28 AM
congrats to all the winners

eugene sweeping for atomic:)

tommy_greeneyes
2010.05.16, 09:58 AM
Congrats to EMU for winning every class he entered! Good job representing the North East!

Congrats to Eugene on a great win.i hope next year i can get down there to.i miss racing with the old friends i use to races with and were i started my mini~z racing at .: )

lfisminiz
2010.05.16, 06:40 PM
Great job by all involved with the cup race. It was well worth the LLOONNGG trip:eek: for me and Matt.;) Very technical track and many evenly matched racers. Never seen so many F-1 cars in 1 place.
Always fun to see my buddies again and meet the other guys on the forum.:)

LARRY

MantisMMA
2010.05.16, 06:46 PM
i will chime in more later as i am still tired! but it was a GREAT event and was run flawlessly! its always good to put faces to the names. congrats to EMU on his wins! cant wait to see the vids as i was upside down most of the time!! it was really cool seeing all of the f1's especiall with all of the MantisWorx parts on them and it was a true test as their were tons of bashing going one!

EMU
2010.05.17, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the congratulations. It was a tremendous race. No easy feat by any means... Coming into this race, I knew competition was going to be tough. I prepped the cars before coming down not knowing what grip or track layout were going to be. I expected something tight, but was not expecting it to be as tight as it was. I prefer a tight layout over a high speed track. Size was good, I could see most of the track without having to turn my head much.

Going into practice, I checked different locations for the best driving positions. I found it very interesting that people stood anywhere around the track that they wanted. The track being a square, made that possible. I decided on standing near the left side of the track with the straight opposite me. This made it easier for me to line up the three chicanes of the track the best. Since my car was very close to moving towards me or away from me.

The track style is similar to what I started racing with at HKS Hobby when it was on Canal St in Manhattan. Very tight and technical. I prefer these layouts because it feels much more intimate. You are really working hard every lap, inches away from other cars, and making the track as wide as you can to carry speed into and out of the corners.

I did very little setup changes; f355 I went to new ATM 40 Standard Competition front tires, LM I changed front wheels to Mantis Group-C, F1 I changed both the rear wing to Mantis Styrene, and side plates to Mantis units. The Mantis side plates have more flexibility than the Kyosho, but have the same lateral stiffness.

In qualifying, I used my old Team Scream cells. Being over a year old, I dont have much capacity, but they have good power for qualify and practice. Since I cant get any new TSR cells right now, I used 3 sets of Orion 750HV for the mains. The 70t classes, I charged with my Duracell 30min, then pulled them and before the mains I peaked them at 3A to raise their voltage right before the races. F1 I didnt want too much punch, so I let them trickle for a while and pulled them 10 minutes before the main.

With the delay at the start of the stock main, I didnt have nearly the speed that I would have since we were sitting for a while and the voltage dropped in the cells. I still had more power than the qualify cells, and knew that I would have consistent power throughout the run.

I took a more conservative approach to all of the mains than qualify. Having more power, I didnt want to overdrive the car into the walls. I could accelerate a little faster, but came off the throttle a little earlier and coasted the car through the tighter sections. Using less throttle than what I did during qualify. I drove a race pace at about 90% of what I felt the cars were capable of, giving myself a little extra room around the boards. I managed not to get hung up much.

Qualifying was tough in stock. The random sort placed me with a few newer drivers. I was basically in accident avoidance mode the entire race, and tried to work the car as well as I could to get good clean laps. In the resort between round 1 and 2, I was then resorted to the 'C' group. I managed to get a decent enough run to resort into the 'B' group the next round. Not knowing that we were running bump ups, I thought that I had to make the A in qualify, so had to push as hard as I could and get into the A main.

In the stock main, I was not aware that there was a random start timer. I am used to 3, 2, 1, tone... The tone came on two, I hit the throttle at 1 just by reaction to the tone, and realized that I did that at 0 where the tone normally is. Most others in the race did not move for a second after I did, so I managed to get the hole shot out of my p2 grid spot. I held the lead for the first lap, but let off a little too much, and hit the boards right before the start finish. I think two cars got by, but I managed to get by in the next couple of laps, and start to check out a bit. I wanted to get a good gap, and was working on putting some fast laps down. By the midway point of the race, I had worked my way to lap the field until I got behind Landon in 2nd place. I decided to pace him, instead of attempting to put him a lap down. Matt started closing in, and I then had to think about whether I should push and pass Landon, or back off a little more and let Matt take the fight to Landon and try to go on accident avoidance mode. Matt hit a board, and I could focus on pacing Landon again. Time expired and I crossed the line for an unexpected win. I felt that I was able to squeeze through traffic easier than the larger cars, and especially on the size of this track, it was a big benefit.

LM I was traction rolling a bit. I was using the stock LM damper plate with a soft FRP t-plate on my MR03. The rear would pitch a little too much. I adjusted the mount for the top shock to bring the mount a couple millimeters to the front of the chassis which lowered the rear of the chassis a little. I also glued up the sidewalls a little to increase sidewall stiffness and reduce traction rolls. Going into round 3, I needed to have a run to put me into the A main. I was on a TQ run, but tangled my wing with another car after they had an incident with a different car in front of me. Wade got past me for the lead of the qualifier, and I stayed right behind him until we were finished. The run put me into the A main, which was a big relief.

In the main, I got off to a decent start. Marcus had the lead, with Wade right behind him. I drove a tight line down the straight, Marcus was defending Wade wide, and I was running a tight line down the straight. I let off early, to take a tight line and try to get inside after the straight. Marcus and I collided, and he rolled over. I wanted to stop and wait for him to be marshalled, but with Wade gaining the lead, I couldnt let him get away. I felt really bad at the time of the incident, and still do that we had that collision, which essentially took Marcus out of contention. Wade and I had the battle of the day. I chased him down, and didnt have any room to make a pass. I felt that I was stronger at some sections of the track, and that he was stronger at others. I didnt have speed advantage, our cars were nearly perfectly matched. I tried to keep the pressure up and see if he would fold. He started to pull a small gap after I rubbed a board, and I couldnt close in. I tried to push the car a little harder, and I traction rolled. I started trying slightly different lines, and started to close the gap. He tagged a board, and I took the lead. Once I got into the lead, Wades pace started to slow, he had lost a little power and couldnt come out of the corner as strong as he was in our battle. I held on and ran smooth to finish the race and take my second win of the day. I really want to see the video of this one, to see what really happened with my incident with Marcus and see if it was my fault or just two cars trying to be in the same track position at the same time, and see that battle with Wade.

F1 was the class that I really came down to run. I managed to TQ on the first run, and back it up with a good round 3 run. I felt that I had the best grip with the F1 in the first run, but it was quick in every run. I decided to build a new F1 for this race, specifically designed for short/tight track running. I leant out my ATM car to Eric, which is amazing on large tracks. It carries more speed through the corner than any F1 that I have ever driven. On the tight track, the car still works well, but doesnt have the same mid-corner exit agility that the side springs give. I used many stock parts, that I would have replaced if I was not using the Mantis front end parts.

In the F1 main, I had already won 2 races, and knew that F1 was my best class compared to my other cars. Larry had pulled an impressive third round qualify run to put him in the 2nd position. I was confident, but at the same time, knew that things had gone my way in the earlier races, and this may not work as well. Off the line, I spun the tires and a couple cars got by. I hadnt practiced enough starts with the more powerful batteries to adjust to it. I had to underdrive the car a lot because it had a lot more power. If I fed too much power, I would rotate too much through the corner, and lose grip... I tried to coast into and through the corners, feeding throttle as I got through the apex to increase rotation slightly and power out of the corner. I got out to an early lead after Rodney hit a board, and focused on running a pace that was safe but kept me in the lead. If I drove the car the way that I had driven it in qualify, the car would have gotten out of hand easily. I just had to keep off the boards, and keep speed up with the least amount of throttle required to do that. I kept my lines long and tried to keep my tire temperatures low to make sure that the car could run strong towards the end of the race. I came up on Eric, in my loaner, and decided that he was running a good pace, and thought it might be too difficult to make a pass without putting both of us at risk. As long as no challenges for the lead were coming up on me, I could sit where I was.

With nearly 24 hours of driving that Shafiq did there and back (I dont have a license), it almost feels like a dream. But then I look into a box from HSH, see the Carolina Cup... and realize that it is reality. It was a great experience, and I would like to thank you all for the great hospitality, especially Mike Morse and Pedro :) It was great to put new faces to names, and race with ones that I have raced with before at the ALS race. Marcus, Larry and Matt coming as well made it a really great experience. I would have been happy regardless of finishing positions, I expected to have a good shot at F1, but a Carolina Triple Crown was not even a thought.

hrdrvr
2010.05.17, 09:25 AM
Great runs EMU!! When you came down here I knew you were going to be tough to beat. There was a lot of talent here though, and at times during the day, some of us were matching your pace here and there. In the end though, your big race experience showed through, and you held your composure together better than any of the rest of us when it counted. I wish I could have been there racing you in the other mains, but it was fun to run behind you, and right in front (when you were putting me a lap down) for so long in the stock A. That tense race ruined my nerves for the rest of the day, as I was nervous about wrecking in front of you (and losing a bunch of positions), I didn't want to let that lap go in case you ran into trouble, Matt and Larry were constantly running me down then dropping back with mistakes, just to run me down again, and Eric is always consistent, and I had this feeling he was going to reel me back in too. At least I did hold it together for the duration of that race in second, but I didn't hold any composure in the mains to follow.

In F1 and LM I ended up at the back of a very tight pack. A couple of seconds quicker in either class could have netted me an A, but the way it was I was going to have to work, and hope to make the two more As. I made mistakes and bad luck for myself at the beginning of both Bs, and ended up dropping out of F1, and a lap down to the field in LM. My LM was good though, and I didn't want to give up. I un-lapped myself from Collin, then Chad, then ran each of them down again to move my way up into fourth two laps down to the top three. Chad and I raced closely for the last part of the race. I was listening to what seemed like a great battle at the top, and trying to stay out of their way while not letting Chad make up ground and take his spot back. On the last lap I slowed coming through the final chicane and onto the straight to let Pedro and Larry fight to the end for a position. Chad snuck by and lead me down the straight. I tried an aggressive move at the end of the straight to get it back. All four of us came under the bridge at practically the same time with Chad cartwheeling through to get fourth and hold me in fifth. It was an exciting race, and Chad (the trash talker of our group) was the last person I needed to beat me :D I'm sure I'm going to hear about this event (he qualified in the A for F1 too) from him for a while :D

At least we've got the regional coming up and I can try and redeem myself there!

Wade, Mike, Pedro, you guys organized a great event! A big thanks goes out to y'all for this!

I got (and ran for the first round of qualifying) a bum motor, as did a few others, but overall I think the box motor deal was really good. The closeness of the racing can be partly attributed to this for sure! It really was the most fair way to do it, and with the competition levels of our core groups, its important to keep everything as level as possible. A big thanks goes out to Mike for fronting the motors to the series, and another goes to Cristian for taking his time to break them all in!

Another big shout out needs to go to Andy, the race director. He did a great job with documenting and keeping up with the box motors (once Pedro and Mike had them handed out), and he kept up with all of our loaner transponders. He also did a good job calling the races, and keeping the pace moving. It was his first time using ZRound, and other than one mistake we both made in the first round of qualifying, and a non-cooperative printer, the event went flawless. As some one who has sat in his shoes before, I totally appreciate what he did for the event!

Ive got to give some HUGE props to my boys from MBMZR too! I'm normally the spiritual leader, as well as leading our racing charge. For this event I performed a tad below my standard which pushed me WAY down the tight field. I was struggling to find anything to work for stock for a better part of the weekend, so my spirits were down. All my guys stepped it up though, and we ended up holding our own against the High Speed guys, just losing 40 points of our over all lead (now 127). They did get the win though, and we will have to live without either of the trophies until we put together another round.

With Eugene's sweep, and the short time frame to get back home to MB, I decided not to figure out all the individual results. Ill get them up as soon as I can get the PC hooked back up and get the results out of it. I'm excited, and nervous to see how it ended up. Wade and Eric had the best runs from the top contenders while Rodney and I (the leaders coming in) had our struggles. Chad was mister consistent in the first race and was sitting in third. He wasn't as strong as Eric or Wade, but still outperformed me. He should be sitting high. It could be a very interesting look going into the next one. We shall see soon enough!

Ill have my pics and vids up as soon as I get the time to get them all up-loaded. Its quite a handful of media I collected, so give me a little time :D

Kevin S.
2010.05.17, 10:44 AM
Congratulations to all who raced and participated in the Carolina's Cup - Race 2 and congratulations to Emu for winning all three Events. I look forward to seeing all the pictures and vidoes that are going to be posted. It sounds like it was an awesome event. Congratulations to everyone once again.