PDA

View Full Version : does locking the rear diff can make you drift?

syafiq
2010.03.15, 02:42 AM
i am beginner is this type of hobby but i am drift fan. the car that i buy doesn't drift very well. the drift has lack of angle when making a long drift. my friend suggest that i should lock the rear diff by using spool diff or solid axle diff rear. so is it locking the rear diff can make you drift?

please don't suggest me other modifications because i already know about that. just tell the modification for the rear diff only.

TheSloth
2010.03.15, 03:36 AM
...my friend suggest that i should lock the rear diff by using spool diff or solid axle diff rear. so is it locking the rear diff can make you drift?

Do you have an AWD? From your description, it appears you don't.

It looks like RWD cars are very difficult to drift. In any case, toe-in (related to stability and steering response), camber (related to tire grip) and tire type play a more important role in drifting. The answer lies in experimentation for your car and track characteristics. I've found the stock set-up very good for my driving style and track conditions. But I have and AWD car.

syafiq
2010.03.15, 09:07 AM
Do you have an AWD? From your description, it appears you don't.

It looks like RWD cars are very difficult to drift. In any case, toe-in (related to stability and steering response), camber (related to tire grip) and tire type play a more important role in drifting. The answer lies in experimentation for your car and track characteristics. I've found the stock set-up very good for my driving style and track conditions. But I have and AWD car.

i m using AWD MA-010
only AWD can drift in RC car

Action B
2010.03.15, 10:36 AM
i m using AWD MA-010
only AWD can drift in RC car

You can just glue together a gear differential or even stick a peice of paper or hobby putty into the gears to stop it from moving so it would be reversible. That will lock your rear differential and make it easier to drift. I can't tell you if it will give you the results you want in particular