PDA

View Full Version : seeing is believing

syafiq
2010.03.15, 10:27 AM
they always say 'seeing is believing' and i think the word is right.
want i trying to say is ,does anyone have a video of your own drifting mini-z on youtube. if does please tell the modfications you made and the link to your video. with this it can surely help to prove the modification you made is true or not. because all i gain is word and picture there is no proof that the modifications is true or false. until now i made no modification to my miniz because afraid that it will not work or damaging my miniz. of course i want to save budget as much as possible.

i m using AWD MA-010
the track will be rcp but any other track will be fine to me

Action B
2010.03.15, 11:34 AM
they always say 'seeing is believing' and i think the word is right.
want i trying to say is ,does anyone have a video of your own drifting mini-z on youtube. if does please tell the modfications you made and the link to your video. with this it can surely help to prove the modification you made is true or not. because all i gain is word and picture there is no proof that the modifications is true or false. until now i made no modification to my miniz because afraid that it will not work or damaging my miniz. of course i want to save budget as much as possible.

i m using AWD MA-010
the track will be rcp but any other track will be fine to me

Wow. I don't know exactly what you mean but if you want to drift just put some plastic drift tires on your car.

arch2b
2010.03.15, 01:52 PM
demanding video for 'proof' is going to be a waste of your time and frankly, not a very enticing approach to take in soliciting advice.

take the information given and try it yourself. there are many threads on drift hear already. that is going to be better than watching any video. video may not be reliable as well simply because someone may be a vastly more experienced drift racer thus able to demonstrate skills you may not be able to replicate whatever the modification is. or they could be a tool breaking their own car while on video.

i understand the desire not to use your car as a test subject, subjecting it to possible damage but these parts are not really expensive and unless you mess with motors and fets, breaking a gear, outdrive, drive shaft is not going to set you back much.

there are probably hundreds of mini-z drift video's on youtube already. you can see plenty of professional style video's on kyosho's japan website as well. the internet is full of information, all it takes is using 'search' :)

the kyosho videos are really well done but are exhibitionist in nature, not tech talk.

herman
2010.03.15, 11:49 PM
syafiq... where are you from?

dude... all it took for my box stock awd to drift is... plastic drift tires
oh yeah and a slippery floor...

that's all... no proof needed... it can be done... all you need to do is to work on your driving technique...

if you don't have plastic drift tires, i've managed to drift by putting simple scotch/cellophane tape on my tires while waiting for my plastic drift tires to arrive....

haven't gotten the chance to drift on rcp yet...

will have to agree with action b and arch2b... and use the ''search'' button/function...

hope this helps... :D

and welcome to the forums...

syafiq
2010.03.16, 01:49 AM
syafiq... where are you from?

dude... all it took for my box stock awd to drift is... plastic drift tires
oh yeah and a slippery floor...

i already put my car with plastic tyre. but still is not enough. i want to make a crazy drift like in D1GP and formula drift. my car will easily spin-off went i try to make a long drift, and also it very hard to drift close to my opponent like real drifting competition. the car can get close but i have to reduce a few angle to do that. what i want is a long fast drift.

actually i already have few modification for the start
two layer FET
plastic tyre all four

now please tell me what wrong with my car.

herman
2010.03.16, 02:08 AM
it's probably nothing but your driving skill... try to practice some countersteering excersizes / techniques...

i'll be the first to admit that i am not an expert or pro at drifting, but practice is the best teacher... do a search on ''how to drift"

i tried putting in a faster motor... i found it more difficult to control and put back the stock motor... haven't done any fet upgrades either... drifting stock is pretty easy...

what type of surface do you run on?

ub0211042
2010.03.16, 06:34 AM
skill is everything in drifting but longer wheelbase will surely help to ease...speed is not so important. btw, where are u from?

ocean rodeo
2010.03.16, 11:07 AM
You just need to practice. Drifting is a skill that does not come over night. It's all about throttle control and small steering inputs.

ub0211042
2010.03.16, 11:37 AM
this video was my first attempt to drift a mini-z :o:p:D back in 2006 :rolleyes:
2006 Vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcjo1-WyBGs)

here's some in 2009 (after 3 years) :p
2009 Vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAX9czKcjjw)
just control ur throttle and steering...u can listen on how i control the throttle on my first vid, full throttle all the way...its not the correct way :D ( speed is not everything )...

ocean rodeo
2010.03.16, 11:44 AM
Is that a school bus in vid 2?

ub0211042
2010.03.16, 11:47 AM
Is that a school bus in vid 2?

nope it's a audi A4 in yellow :D

ocean rodeo
2010.03.16, 12:17 PM
I was just joking. I thought is was a Megane.

Action B
2010.03.16, 01:53 PM
Try locking your differentials. That should make the car drift better.

Skv012a
2010.03.16, 05:41 PM
i already put my car with plastic tyre. but still is not enough. i want to make a crazy drift like in D1GP and formula drift. my car will easily spin-off went i try to make a long drift, and also it very hard to drift close to my opponent like real drifting competition. the car can get close but i have to reduce a few angle to do that. what i want is a long fast drift...

now please tell me what wrong with my car.

skill is everything in drifting...

it's probably nothing but your driving skill... try to practice some countersteering excersizes / techniques...

That really sums it up. Practice makes perfect, period. Go and try to drift a real car and see how long it takes to fully grasp the concept.

ub0211042
2010.03.16, 07:56 PM
I was just joking. I thought is was a Megane.

i will make a school bus in the future :D:D

syafiq
2010.03.16, 11:32 PM
this video was my first attempt to drift a mini-z :o:p:D back in 2006 :rolleyes:

just control ur throttle and steering...u can listen on how i control the throttle on my first vid, full throttle all the way...its not the correct way :D ( speed is not everything )...

i know skill is everything in drifting but sometimes modifications does take effect. would you mind tell what modification you have done to your mini-z

ub0211042
2010.03.17, 02:58 AM
i know skill is everything in drifting but sometimes modifications does take effect. would you mind tell what modification you have done to your mini-z

here goes:

Wide wheels and drift tire front and rear.
Little softer front spring than rear.
front one way
rear locked diff
all else stock

Skv012a
2010.03.17, 03:34 AM
here goes:

Wide wheels and drift tire front and rear.
Little softer front spring than rear.
front one way
rear locked diff
all else stock

I just take my racer and slap on plastic shoes. Balls diffs and everything else, makes it look closer to race drifting.

syafiq
2010.03.17, 04:14 AM
here goes:

rear locked diff

what kind of hop-up parts that you use to locked the rear diff. please tell me the brand also

herman
2010.03.17, 06:50 AM

ub0211042... pretty cool videos... second video shows a lot of improvement...

syafiq...
another very important thing that i forgot to mention, is throttle control....

just a suggestion... if i were you i'd just keep everything stock and get drift tires... learn to drift... then if you want get the modification parts etc....

having your car modified won't give you any skill... it will always leave you frustrated... and blaming the set up or the modified part... etc.. etc...

good luck and hope this helps...

dvsstrike
2010.03.17, 08:47 AM
parts will not help your car drift. it just take lots of practice and skill. mme personally i can't drift a toy car but can drift a real one. i had my fellow racer drift my ma 010 with no issue. he can drift with ease around my rcp track all day long.like everyone says it take practice. just save your loot and just practice the drift

ub0211042
2010.03.17, 10:37 AM
what kind of hop-up parts that you use to locked the rear diff. please tell me the brand also

open up ur gear diff and stuff in hot glue in it...then its' locked :D

herman
2010.03.22, 11:33 PM
hey syafiq...

i see you are from johor... any tracks down there? ub0211042 is from kl... don't know if you guys met... johor is just a stone's throw from sing... you might want to cross the border and find out what the sing drivers do to their cars to drift... :D

syafiq
2010.03.23, 12:37 AM
is mini z is popular in singapore. i did buy few part over there (someone buy it for me) but i never been in singapore.

herman
2010.03.23, 03:16 AM
so how's your drifting? and what track do you go to in johor?

cyberdude
2010.03.23, 09:17 AM
after 3 yrs, your drifting has improve. i wish i can be that good.. :(

syafiq
2010.03.25, 10:18 AM
so how's your drifting? and what track do you go to in johor?

i already install front one way and lock the rear diff. in doesn't drift like i wanted to but it give more angle on the long drift . it still hard to control my car can still easily spin out. maybe from now i should start practicing more
i use normal carpet like the one they use in kyosho commercial video. the track i build it myself. there is no wall on my track it only divided by cellophane tape. this way i can avoid crashing my mini-z and suitable for a beginner like me .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvujEIJPIB0

syafiq
2010.04.09, 03:43 AM
just like the thread title seeing is believing. i found a website that has a video on it. it also has list awd drift setting, since it has a video it look like promising setting. i just want to know has anyone has try this setup before? how is it feel good or bad?

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy157/moe-otaku/Untitled.jpg
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://mini-z-bar.com/page093.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmini%2Bz%2Bbar%26hl%3Den%26client%3Df irefox-a%26hs%3Ds0T%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official&rurl=translate.google.com.my&usg=ALkJrhijgakp5jcnqNk0T0ZacshzU0f-4w#label16

arch2b
2010.04.09, 08:52 AM
i still argue that doesn't hold true for everyone. driving skill will be the make or break it with any setup. you could use a professionals setup but if you can't control the car with driving skill it's all for naught.

seeing isn't always believing.

EMU
2010.04.09, 02:59 PM
I agree with Arch, what works for one persons setup, may not work for you. In general, make small changes so you can see how they effect the car. If it is better, leave it, worse remove it and test again... Practice is the biggest difference maker whether its racing, or drifting. Steering and throttle should not be on/off switches, but modulated slowly...

syafiq
2010.04.10, 11:14 AM
i still argue that doesn't hold true for everyone. driving skill will be the make or break it with any setup. you could use a professionals setup but if you can't control the car with driving skill it's all for naught.

seeing isn't always believing.

i didn't ask if the drift good or not. i m asking how the control is it make the mini z more sliding or it just increasing the grip. what i want to say is what is the effect of that setup. don't post reply if you want tell to me keep practicing because i already know that. also the setup i show in this thread were stated by the mini-z bar website that it suitable for beginner. i not try to ask opinion or suggestion i want comment about that setup, that all.

ub0211042
2010.04.10, 01:11 PM
don't post reply if you want tell to me keep practicing because i already know that. i not try to ask opinion or suggestion i want comment about that setup, that all.

spoon feeding only happens in schooling years....:D:D:D

Eman
2010.04.10, 02:31 PM
The two things helped me greatly in learning to drift. The first was turning down my steering on my transmitter. I turned it down to 70pct. This will help you with over correcting and spin outs. As you get comfortable increase the steering. I think mine is now set to 95pct. The second thing was the tires. Make sure you use the same size front and back. I started with wides front and back. I use narrows front and back now. The biggest thing about the tires is prepping them. The contact patch is horrible on most drift tires. So I fix this by putting the car in drift trim then running it full throttle on a piece of medium emery cloth (400 grit sandpaper would get the same results) until the shiny parts of the tire are gone. For the rears I do a slight arcing/sweeping motion to mimic the rear sliding. Not sure if this helps in drifting. Just makes the job go faster. For the rear tires I like the contact patch at 100pct. In the front I have the contact patch around 80 - 90 pct.
See photo below.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k41/willis67017/Mini%20Z/contactpatch.jpg

As for the diffs I like the stock gear diffs locked up. Remove the gears and output shafts from the diff housing. Put some glue on the output shafts and reinstall. You could use aluminum spools, but if you are using aluminum axles this could cause premature wear. Hope this helps.

ocean rodeo
2010.04.10, 05:36 PM
i didn't ask if the drift good or not. i m asking how the control is it make the mini z more sliding or it just increasing the grip. what i want to say is what is the effect of that setup. don't post reply if you want tell to me keep practicing because i already know that. also the setup i show in this thread were stated by the mini-z bar website that it suitable for beginner. i not try to ask opinion or suggestion i want comment about that setup, that all.

To best asnswer your question. Stop looking for a setup and opinions on what makes a car drift. It's so true that what works for one doesn't work for another. My suggestion is to find your set up on your own by testing testing and more testing. Eventually you will find what works best for you. I am not trying to be a Jerk. It will make you a better driver. I mean Drifter;)

syafiq
2010.04.12, 01:35 AM
To best asnswer your question. Stop looking for a setup and opinions on what makes a car drift. It's so true that what works for one doesn't work for another. My suggestion is to find your set up on your own by testing testing and more testing. Eventually you will find what works best for you. I am not trying to be a Jerk. It will make you a better driver. I mean Drifter;)

are you try to say that i have to buy all the hop-up part that been build by each company and try it one by one without knowing what actually do to my mini-z. do you think that i been sponsored.

every hop-up part has their own effect and that effect what exactly i want to know.

also the way i see it seem no one has try this setup before. well i not surprise because even i have question about that setup.

i highlighted the setting that i dont understand why.
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy157/moe-otaku/Untitled-1.jpg

the one i know should be like this

front one way
little bit toe at the rear
1.5 degree chamber at the front
wide tire at the back
7.23:1 gear ratio

and for the last time dont post reply if you tell me to keep practicing

color01
2010.04.12, 01:39 AM
1. Front one-way makes the car REALLY unstable at speed. You need to turn down the steering throw to keep it drivable on a long straight.
2. Toe is a minor consideration for drifting, it just makes the car more or less inclined to turn. If you decide you must use a front one-way, you want more rear toe in.
3. Camber doesn't really matter, it depends how your tires are cut. 0 camber works just fine if you have rounded off the edges of your tires.
4. Doesn't matter a whole lot whether your tires are wide or narrow. Wider tires will have, at the most, a little more stability on rough surfaces. With practice you'll be able to drift wide-tired and narrow-tired cars equally, it doesn't really matter.
5. Gear ratio depends on how large your venue is. Don't take everything you see on the internet blindly. ;)

syafiq
2010.04.12, 01:47 AM
1. Front one-way makes the car REALLY unstable at speed. You need to turn down the steering throw to keep it drivable on a long straight.
2. Toe is a minor consideration for drifting, it just makes the car more or less inclined to turn. If you decide you must use a front one-way, you want more rear toe in.
3. Camber doesn't really matter, it depends how your tires are cut. 0 camber works just fine if you have rounded off the edges of your tires.
4. Doesn't matter a whole lot whether your tires are wide or narrow. Wider tires will have, at the most, a little more stability on rough surfaces. With practice you'll be able to drift wide-tired and narrow-tired cars equally, it doesn't really matter.
5. Gear ratio depends on how large your venue is. Don't take everything you see on the internet blindly. ;)

thank you so much color01. now that is really help full

herman
2010.04.12, 03:55 AM
likewise, i don't want to sound like a jerk here... but the set up you posted is what probably works for that driver, or the person who suggested the setting... if somebody else would drive it, it may or may not work for that particular person...

i totally agree with arch2b and emu... skill is what you need, and to be skilled, you will need practice...

now if you wanted to try out a particular setting, because it has a video it look like promising setting you will have to try it out yourself... as you mentioned... also the setup i show in this thread were stated by the mini-z bar website that it suitable for beginner.

what i want to say is what is the effect of that setup.

if you want a specific answer, ask a specific question... that way answers would be more direct.... i.e. what is the effect of camber on a drift awd chassis... or is a front one way really needed? what is the effect of having a one way in my drift awd?... but then again everybody will have a general opinion on the parts... what may work for one, may not work for another... ergo, it may or may not work out for you and your driving style...

for me i can just drift fine with bearings, and drift tires... i initially had an atomic awd motor but it had too much power for my liking, so i put back the stock motor right back in (guess power isn't everything - well to me in the drifting world at least)... i'd admit i am not a great drifter... but i can get the car to drift... i don't really want to spend anything else on my awd since it can get really expensive really quick... what i do lack though is practice... since i do know that practice will make me a better drifter... no amount of money can buy me parts that will make me a champion drifter... skill just can't be bought...

everybody who answered is being quite helpful... there might be a language barrier of some sort... try to be more specific and clear when you ask questions and maybe you'll get the right answers (opinions there will be a lot)

well good luck and hope this helps...

ub0211042
2010.04.12, 04:10 AM
good one herman :D

ocean rodeo
2010.04.12, 10:20 AM

ocean rodeo
2010.04.12, 10:24 AM
Hope this helps:D
http://www.wikihow.com/Drift-an-RC-Car

herman
2010.04.13, 05:07 AM
hmm... i kinda like step 9...
and the first tip after that...

herman
2010.04.13, 05:09 AM
click below....
kyosho's official guide to drift driving (http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/mini-z/pdf/MDFD_T11_MA_010_Formula_D5_m.pdf)

herman
2010.04.13, 05:14 AM
some kyosho set up sheets (drift)...
set up sheet 1 (http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/setting/data/minizawd_drift_j.pdf)
set up sheet 2 (http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/mini-z/pdf/minizawd_drift_RCM.pdf)

now if somebody can please translate.... :D

Skv012a
2010.04.13, 08:42 AM
Nothing we didn't know. "Rigid" front diff, I'll assume solid axle, stock rear; offsets and degrees are self explanitory; normal tires (or plastics, because WE know better); stock 0* knuckles, lowered a little; 90mm base.

civilian
2010.05.24, 01:41 AM
new breed of drifting mini-z:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwTfkBFxdUU