PDA

View Full Version : Motor mount for LM?

Chicken Little
2010.03.21, 05:24 PM
Any chance of making an LM motor mount? I've tried the Atomic LM mount but was disappointed with it. I always use PN motor mounts because of the quality and performance.

EMU
2010.03.21, 08:02 PM
For me, the PN FMv4 is superior to an LM mount. The weight balance of the mount is better since the differential shaft is shorter and the spur gear is not as far off on the side (which makes the car steering less balanced). You can use it on more bodies, instead of restricting it to the wide/LM bodies. The motor is mounted at the same height and orientation as an LM mount is mounted. An LM disc damper should work on the mount as well.

I have used this mount on a few LM cars with good results.

I am not a PN representative, actually an Atomic rep, but I want to try to give unbiased help.

ChiefGreenLeaf
2010.03.21, 11:12 PM
Any chance of making an LM motor mount? I've tried the Atomic LM mount but was disappointed with it. I always use PN motor mounts because of the quality and performance.

I'd like to see one as well.

Chicken Little
2010.03.22, 12:26 AM
I have the PN LCG lay down mount but found that I needed to shim the diff to get rid of the gaping wide space.

mleemor60
2010.03.22, 07:17 AM
Or use the standard width differential and +3 offset rear wheels.

Chicken Little
2010.03.22, 10:18 AM
LM rules must apply in our track; LM wheels must be used all around. Plus I think the diameter is different from regular wheels vs. LM.

mleemor60
2010.03.22, 10:39 AM
I prefer the LM wheels. To me it helps maintain the scale appearance. If that is the case then the correct spacer to use would be the one's that are supplied with an 010 AWD chassis as wheel bearings. One either side of the pod centers the dif perfectly. The additional weight is nil.

JuniorWKR
2010.03.22, 10:54 AM
i would like to see a LM pod as most clubs run a true LM class...

mleemor60
2010.03.22, 12:25 PM
The 3racing pods are really pretty good. I have three of them and can say the only issue I have had with any of them has been miniscule clearance concerns between the points that attach to the motor and motor housing. Removing the anodizing from the inside edges has alleviated the concern. The inclusion of different damper post attachments depending on plate system used is a nice touch as well. And you certainly can't beat the price. The 3racing LM dif is a decent piece as well. It readily accepts the line of 64P gears that Phillip offers.

Chicken Little
2010.03.22, 11:40 PM
I had the Atomic 94-98mm adjustable mount with the motor bracket in the rear and it was just a pain in the rear to adjust when finding the perfect mesh. So 3Racing LM motor mount is a no for me. The PN motor mounts have been spot on for me when it came to adjustments and performance. I just hope that they make a dedicated LM mount soon.

mleemor60
2010.03.23, 07:34 AM
If they made one I would surely purchase it. I do not believe however that they will produce one. Phillip is highly invested in his little pan car bodies so I don't think that he would invest in an area that would ultimately take sales from another area. Just my opinion.

akura2
2010.03.29, 06:10 PM
If they made one I would surely purchase it. I do not believe however that they will produce one. Phillip is highly invested in his little pan car bodies so I don't think that he would invest in an area that would ultimately take sales from another area. Just my opinion.

I don't understand what you guys are all talking about... I HAVE a PN Racing LM rear pod and it's beautiful and it works great... I've had it for weeks.... it's the LCG motor pod for 98-102 wheelbase

PN Racing Mini-Z MR02/03 98-102mm V4 LCG Motor Mount (Silver)
[Parts # MR2289S]
http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_129_144&products_id=3832

http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/images/MR2289S.jpg

z3zinho
2010.03.29, 07:03 PM
Akura, LM wheels are low offset because the motor pod is wider, so in order to use the LM wheels with the LM bodies you have to have a LM specific pod.
That doesnt mean that you cant use high offset wheels on the 98/102 pod and LM bodies, but you can't use the right wheels ;)

akura2
2010.03.29, 07:12 PM
Akura, LM wheels are low offset because the motor pod is wider, so in order to use the LM wheels with the LM bodies you have to have a LM specific pod.
That doesnt mean that you cant use high offset wheels on the 98/102 pod and LM bodies, but you can't use the right wheels ;)

I'm using LM wheels with that pod and it fits fine... it's on a Mazda 787B MR-03 chassis (or a Sauber when I feel like it :)... both with their respective LM wheels mounted)

I can even post a pic later when I get home...

ocean rodeo
2010.03.29, 07:26 PM
It wont be the same offset as the LM diff is longer than the 015/02 diff.

akura2
2010.03.29, 07:35 PM
It wont be the same offset as the LM diff is longer than the 015/02 diff.

well I'm using the LM diff (stock... my ball diff arrived at work today) and the LM wheels with my PN racing pod

oh well... it works for me :)

Quoted from RC Kenon site

"This motor mount design for 98mm (MR02MM) and 102mm (MR02LM) chassis."

ocean rodeo
2010.03.29, 08:09 PM
well I'm using the LM diff (stock... my ball diff arrived at work today) and the LM wheels with my PN racing pod

Sure it will fit at 102mm but it's the track width of the rear that's not the same. The LM pod that comes with the car is wider than the PN one. Measure it. I'm not saying it will not work but the offset is narrower with the PN mount.

mleemor60
2010.03.29, 08:27 PM
With the PN LCG V4 pod and the LM dif you must use a couple of spacers to center the differential in the pod in order to use the LM wheels. I have found that the bushings that come as wheel bearings on the stock 010 AWD chassis are just perfect. However I still prefer the LM pod for the additional clearance under the body that it provides.

dvsstrike
2010.03.29, 08:41 PM
you can just buy the kyosho under the r246. it will use the standard lm diff and is a kyosho part so you would be good.
heres the link
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=20509&cat=0&page=1

mleemor60
2010.03.29, 09:20 PM
I have one of those. It is identical to the last detail as the 3Racing unit that sells for about 1/2 the price. It is a good piece though. You may have to carefully remove the anodizing from inside the rings that hold the motor in position as clearances are pretty close.

ocean rodeo
2010.03.29, 09:42 PM
I agree. The 3racing Pod is the same and half the price.

ChiefGreenLeaf
2010.03.29, 09:47 PM

Without spacer's?:confused:

akura2
2010.03.30, 01:51 AM
I find that I must apologize... when I went to put my ball diff in this evening, I saw that I had used one of the old wheel bushing as a spacer on the diff side... I did it in a rush at the track so long ago and didn't remember that I had done it... Old age

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8391/lmpod.jpg

still works and fits great.. even if I had to use the one spacer... and for the price, the functionality and the look, I don't see anything wrong with using the one spacer.... especially if you guys want PN to make the rear pod like you all seem like you do... you might as well use the one that they DO make.. it works great

the motor casing and wheels are perfectly centered, and the endbell balances the weight of the ball diff nicely so there aren't any balance issues that I have found

ChiefGreenLeaf
2010.03.30, 04:37 PM
I find that I must apologize... when I went to put my ball diff in this evening, I saw that I had used one of the old wheel bushing as a spacer on the diff side... I did it in a rush at the track so long ago and didn't remember that I had done it... Old age

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8391/lmpod.jpg

still works and fits great.. even if I had to use the one spacer... and for the price, the functionality and the look, I don't see anything wrong with using the one spacer.... especially if you guys want PN to make the rear pod like you all seem like you do... you might as well use the one that they DO make.. it works great

the motor casing and wheels are perfectly centered, and the endbell balances the weight of the ball diff nicely so there aren't any balance issues that I have found

Don't need a new design, just widen the LCG V4 with a new top plate.

Chicken Little
2010.03.30, 05:12 PM
....thus the whole reason why I created this post to begin with. :rolleyes: