PDA

View Full Version : Kyosho EX-5UR ASF

machgo5go
2010.03.23, 06:48 AM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/KyoshoEX5URASFLarge.jpg
This works like a charm with so much adjustment like KO Propo's big dog but 1/2 the price in $129.00 USD from Yen plus shipping which came in 5 days.
What a huge upgrade from KT-18 for a Novice driver in 2 months!:D

Traveler
2010.03.23, 08:27 AM
Nice radio. If I hadn't bought the EX-1UR last year, I would definitely get one.

ocean rodeo
2010.03.23, 09:57 AM
+1 sweet radio. Where did you find it? Does it come with 2 rx's like the US version?

LED
2010.03.23, 11:51 AM
+1 sweet radio. Where did you find it? Does it come with 2 rx's like the US version?

This is a specific Mini-z and dnano transmitter. No receivers included as they simply dont exist. This the original 5UR with the mini-z module built in.

Ordered mine today :D

ocean rodeo
2010.03.23, 12:46 PM
From where?

LED
2010.03.23, 01:23 PM
check PM.
Dont know if I can post other stores here.

J-Milz
2010.03.23, 02:12 PM
How many model memory? Can you list some of the features it has? Like curve, abs, throttle speed..

ocean rodeo
2010.03.23, 02:30 PM
It should have the same features as the US version. http://www.kopropo.com/america/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=138

LED
2010.03.23, 03:50 PM
yeah its the same.
7 model memory.

ASF version: http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/detail.html?product_id=105893

Roger
2010.03.23, 06:53 PM
Very cool. KO Propo have always done very good work with transmitters.

ocean rodeo
2010.03.23, 07:18 PM
I am almost positive that this radio will work with one of the 2.4 rx's. I think there is more info about it @ nanotrax.

machgo5go
2010.03.23, 08:44 PM
From where?
http://www.rcmini-z.com/product_info.php/products_id/3116#e
I bought mine from this Japan Hobby Shop and this model is exactly same as KO PROPO America's version- 7 memory and all the goodies!
I got other replies from Hobby Japan also started to sell oversea: I know it is kind of Gray Market but if it is not being sold in US then no choice in trying to out source.
http://cgi.*******om/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370353619774

kyoshosan
2010.03.23, 09:46 PM
I ordered mine today :-) Do you know if the manual has English or if it is Japanese only? If it's Japanese only, have you got a English one on the net ? Can you send the link ? Thanks.

machgo5go
2010.03.24, 04:53 AM
I ordered mine today :-) Do you know if the manual has English or if it is Japanese only? If it's Japanese only, have you got a English one on the net ? Can you send the link ? Thanks.
Don't worry, Operation Manual in Japanese & ENGLISH!
I doubt when I ordered but after arrived, I was relief.
Lot to learn from all the functions but I got help from my own Hobby shop owner since it operate same as any KO's transmitter.

kyoshosan
2010.03.24, 07:09 PM
Great News! Thanks.

civilian
2010.03.25, 11:52 AM
I am almost positive that this radio will work with one of the 2.4 rx's. I think there is more info about it @ nanotrax.

i don't think so mate.
i read from kopropo.co.jp it's direct digital version of old mini-z/dnano tx.
old version mean 901SM module.
the 901sm module won't work with 407ss either 408ss rx unit.
the new module is 902sm with direct digital.
so that's the same module ONLY for dnano/mini-z.

and by the way, the 902sm module it's only work for KO Eurus user...

CMIIW

EMU
2010.03.25, 12:04 PM
You can still use the 901SM in the Eurus as well. Just not the other way around :rolleyes:

machgo5go
2010.03.30, 08:38 PM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/KyoshoEX-5URASF002Small.jpg
Updated the oem steering wheel with KO PROPO's smaller diameter steering wheel. It is actually same size as OEM one but this have better feeling in foam vs. rubber grip and looks cool as hell for me!:D Only thing is that I had to modify a Tamiya M-Wheel adaptor with a dremel to fit this wheel.

ocean rodeo
2010.03.30, 08:45 PM
Very cool radio. Your probably the only person in the US to have one. The only think I didn't like about it was the fixed antenna.

LED
2010.04.06, 10:43 AM
I got mine last week.
I havent driven with it yet, but so far I can say this.

At first it felt realy toy like. Muche like the KT18 did first time I held that.
Including batteries it weighs 600 grams. Wich isnt that much for this size of a transmitter.
It's obvious they didnt put to much effort into this transmitter and simply took an existing one with mini-z electronics. The 3th channel is still present, and I guess operating but without a 3 CH receiver we will never know...

Pairing wasn't a problem. All other settings work as they should. Even servo speed and the adjustable curves work like they should. I was a bit scared that they wouldn effect the car much but you even without driving you notice a difference. All necessary settings are there.

Only downpoint I found so far is the manual. It is in english but there is no explenation to what each setting does. If you have experience with other transmitters you can use it without even reading the manual. It all explains itslf. But for new users there could have been some more explenations to each setting.

Thursday will be the first time I drive with it. I will get back after that.

But for now I can say, with not alot more money then a KT18 you have a transmitter for multiple cars, and some extra settings that can come in handy to finetune your car.

LED
2010.04.10, 06:48 AM
I had my first testrun with it and so far so good.
It's not to havy, settings are working fine. I'ts alot easier to finetune the brake. curves can come in handy to. Whet I didnt like was the trigger. On the bottom of the trigger there is a little edge sticking out, wich started to hurt my finger after 30 mins. have to cut that off. The wheel itself is OK but nothing to fancy. Going to try to put one of a futaba on it.

All in all, I like this transmitter. Its cheap, has multiple memorys and all the setttings you need for a mini-z.

Laxracer
2010.04.12, 09:21 PM
Has anyone tried the US version ? does it work with the ASF mini-z ?

And the harder question... if the Japan version is the only one that will work, what does the FCC think about that ??? (aka is it legal ?)

EMU
2010.04.12, 10:23 PM
Try not to think of it as US version and Japanese version. Think of it more like the KO version, and Kyosho version. The only EX-5UR compatable with the Mini-Z and Dnano is the Kyosho version. It has green trim, unlike the KO version which I believe has orange trim. It clearly states EX-UR ASF on the box, and the part number is 82011.

It is not available in the states, and probably has something to do with not going through with FCC licensing yet. It is unsure whether this will be released in the states at all. This should have been the radio available from the start of ASF instead of the KT-18 which never worked as good as it looked, and it didnt really look good.

The feel of the EX-5UR wheel is a little light, similar to the KT-18, the radio is light as well, but the balance is very good. Menu is fairly easy to navigate, but could take some time to scroll through the features. Each menu page is numbered, so you could memorize the page number for each option... Throttle trim is on the right side of the wheel, steering trim on the top, steering travel is the top thumb switch on the grip, and I dont remember what the lower switch does... I had less than 5 minutes of viewing the radio that a local racer had.

Overall, I would say the radio feels like it is good quality, and uses 8AA with the same battery tray as the EX-10, EX-1 and stock AM radio. The same modifications should apply if you would want to change to LiPo.

The space for the trigger is a little large (the gap between the where you pull and when you go to brake) I would recommend installing some padding on the brake side, so that there is much less space when you go to brake/reverse. I did this on my helios and it made a big difference.

If this radio were available earlier, I think that more people would have upgraded to ASF already. The KT-18 was a leap ahead, but a few steps back from what it should have been. I stuck with AM until the module was released for the helios, then started driving the ASF cars that I had for a few months.

LED
2010.04.13, 10:46 AM
The bottom tumb knob is actually the third channel. A left over from the original transmitter.
I to added padding for the brake. The gap is even for me to large (large fingers)
Sunday was the first race over here, and had no problems. Not with the transmitter or the comfort of holding it all day. I did trim a little of the trigger as I stated in my post.
I agree with Emu, this should have been the first ASF transmitter instead of the KT-18

Sinister_Y
2010.04.13, 11:54 AM
Emu, you're right in that the EX-5UR with 2.4 mini-z module is from Kyosho. This is not a model available through KO Propo (USA).

I can confirm that Kyosho America will not be importing this radio from Japan. Emu, you're also right in that the radio is not licienced with FCC. I'm told that this is around a $1500 cost. Kyosho America would not want to bring it in unless they could sell an appropriate quantity of them.

Side note- a customer of the shop overheard me talking about this radio with another customer on the weekend and said he heard Kyosho Japan were going to discontinue this model since "sales sucked" (as he put it).

Laxracer
2010.04.14, 09:29 AM
Well it sounds like I can't get the Kyosho version. (my job won't allow it).
So my best bet might be the KT-18.

machgo5go
2010.04.14, 09:13 PM
Well it sounds like I can't get the Kyosho version. (my job won't allow it).
So my best bet might be the KT-18.
May I ask what does Job have to do with Hobby in preventing you in ordering overseas your personal Gray Market item?
Honestly I hate Gray Market in general in due to my business work too since it does take away profits.

Laxracer
2010.04.14, 09:38 PM
Knowingly breaking federal laws is a big no no. For example, if its something thats not sold because of market trends etc etc ... where I can buy a similar type is ok ... Like a TA-05 for example sold only in japan with a certain body, is ok ... a transmitter that violates the FCC big no no, federal laws are bad :(

rajiex
2010.04.21, 07:52 AM
I got the new radio. It seems light and filled with nefty tricks. I only bought it since I have three 2.4 cars now. Can anyone help me on the settings to use for MR-03. MR-02 and MA 10. I also seem to have a problem pairing a new car onto a blank model memoryl. I somehow seem to pair the car to another model setting instead of a blank position.

LED
2010.04.21, 11:04 AM
I got the new radio. It seems light and filled with nefty tricks. I only bought it since I have three 2.4 cars now. Can anyone help me on the settings to use for MR-03. MR-02 and MA 10. I also seem to have a problem pairing a new car onto a blank model memoryl. I somehow seem to pair the car to another model setting instead of a blank position.

pairing isnt done by model. You can pair as many cars as you want, but you need to select the correct model setup when you want to drive it.
So forgetting to select the correct model will happen :D

rajiex
2010.04.24, 05:34 PM
What does all the adjustments do in lay man terms. Is there a setting to make the motor max out quicker?

LED
2010.04.25, 04:36 AM
There is a speed setting yes, wich makes the motor respond quicker.

machgo5go
2010.06.17, 05:52 PM
Coming soon to your local hobby shop in US finally!
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/miniz/index.php?part_num=82011

hilldebrandt
2010.06.17, 06:16 PM
^^^That's cool !!

Thanks for posting that info....

arch2b
2011.04.23, 09:18 AM
fyi, now being shown on several sites like kyoshosan and rc p sanda is a RED version.

i admit its a bit garish but i also find it interesting in that i would never loose it:p

EMU
2011.04.23, 11:01 AM
fyi, now being shown on several sites like kyoshosan and rc p sanda is a RED version.

i admit its a bit garish but i also find it interesting in that i would never loose it:p

I think that may be the Tiki-Tiki version?

arch2b
2011.07.23, 02:04 PM
i just got mine from the shop here!
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1394/medium/IMG_0392_1_.JPG

disappointed that it doesn't have any indication it's the limited version so i took the sticker off the box and put it on the bottom. stupid i know but it's the small things in life that keep us happy.
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1394/medium/IMG_0399_1_.JPG

overall, the plastic feels much cheaper than that of my ex-10. it's certainly not as sturdy feeling. the battery cover for example feels flimsy compared to others.

arch2b
2011.07.23, 03:40 PM
charging batteries for the tx right now. as soon as thats done i'll get to more responses on the 5ur. right now just looking at it.

reaper
2011.07.23, 04:58 PM
overall, the plastic feels much cheaper than that of my ex-10. it's certainly not as sturdy feeling. the battery cover for example feels flimsy compared to others.

i know what your saying but at the end of the day it is a budget vesion , i belive i was the first person to get one in the UK and have been running it every week from purchase i havent had any problems , i like the amount of options ,the simple set-up and the fact its not a big bulky lump and the batteries last forever

arch2b
2011.07.23, 06:11 PM
it also weights much less! helios without batteries=526g, 5ur without batteries=312g.

LED
2011.07.24, 06:38 AM
I have been running it now since april last year without any problems.
I also like the durability of the batteries, + once the alarm goes off you still have plenty left to last the day.

I love this transmitter and it certainly has pulled me up to a new level in driving.

mini-z
2011.07.24, 11:50 AM
it also weights much less! helios without batteries=526g, 5ur without batteries=312g.

= advantage for enduro racing?! :D I love that you stuck the LE sticker on the bottom too! :D

arch2b
2011.07.24, 01:01 PM
It's an advantage to anyone standing along a track for an entire day ;) . Should be less wrist fatigue which is common for me with my Helios.

For the cost, this radio is Very much a step up from the kt-18. Th features are very simple to use once you get used to the forward, back, enter and cancel buttons. Only gripe is the quick access buttons are tiny by comparison. They feel minuscule compared to the Helios and they are not raised much from the surface which is nice in that they feel almost seamless but at the same time tricky to find with your fingers (those with pudgy fingers).

I really wish this was the stnd tx for kits vs. Th kt-18 although I understand they need a slightly cheaper tx but in the end, the cost difference makes the 5th a much smarter buy.

arch2b
2012.08.25, 07:55 PM
does anyone have a link to the ex-5ur manual? the only link i've found goes to missing file. http://www.kyosho.com/eng/jpn/support/instructionmanual/digital_prcs/pdf/82012-T01_EX-5UR_ASF_2.pdf

LED
2012.08.26, 12:57 AM
No link but I have the manual. Anything specific you need?
Edit .Found a pdf copy on my computer. Give me your email and I will send it to you.

arch2b
2012.08.26, 08:15 PM
I'm trying to build my catalog of manuals for my iPad. I take my iPad with me and looking to get all my manuals digital.

Sammich
2012.08.27, 06:48 AM
i google searched and printed these out this past weekend (2 different manuals)

http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/mini-z/pdf/32751_MR03_tikitiki_extra.pdf

http://mygadgetblogspot.blogspot.com/2010/02/ko-propo-ex-5ur-transmitter-manual.html

arch2b
2012.08.27, 12:59 PM
thanks,saved and converted to PDF. i looked through 12 pages in google searches and was not able to find that link. :rolleyes: glad you did.