PDA

View Full Version : F-1 tires

mleemor60
2010.03.23, 11:17 AM
Does anyone happen to know the origin of the F-1 tires with the markings
23G molded into the sidewall.

arch2b
2010.03.23, 12:53 PM
gpm made f1 tires and i know kyosho used to make some that are not available anymore. i think i still have some of both and will look tonight to see which are what.

hpgod
2010.03.23, 01:24 PM
kypsho used to make 23 degree tires

JuniorWKR
2010.03.23, 01:28 PM
thats what i was thinking also... they always use to put the deg on the sidewall...

EMU
2010.03.23, 05:04 PM
They were called Team Kyosho, and were slicks not grooved tires...

mleemor60
2010.03.23, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys.

kromie101
2010.09.28, 08:40 PM
mike,i bought some kyosho 35degrees on ebay. they are slicks and man they are super hard. i also saw 23 degees. i have found that atomic 30s have been working good.

EMU
2010.09.28, 09:37 PM
Eric, the Team Kyosho 23d slicks used to be THE tire to use... Now they have been out of production so long that the ones available dont quite have the grip that they did when new. They still work, but dont have as much steering as I would like. The 20d slicks are harder, which I dont understand... They need to be prepped before every run (light sanding to roughen up the surface). These tires are particularly good for very low grip tracks, since the car doesnt spin out as much...

kromie101
2010.09.28, 10:00 PM
emu,i think f-1 might be my favorite class right now:D. maybe a tie with my pancar:). i should have bought the 23d when i saw them. we tried to true down the 35d and they smoked like crazy. maybe they had alot of rubber in them. they got sticky but still were pushy. they might work on a track with alot of traction or maybe 30rears?

wrcsti
2010.09.29, 03:10 PM
So what do the degrees measure?

EMU
2010.09.29, 05:41 PM
In this scale, the degree rating of tire is very relative to the manufacturer. There are no set standards. Knowing the manufacturers compound hardness and grip level is mostly trial and error. After a while, you can get an idea of how the different manufacturers grip levels relate to the track you are racing on.

Tire grip is all relative to the track that it is raced on. Some tracks grip better with company X's tires, and have no grip with company Y or vice versa. Just because a tire works at one track, doesnt necessarily mean it will always have that effect. RCP tracks are made the same, but there will be different levels of grip depending on a lot of factors... (weather, floor/carpeting, AC to name a few).

lez78
2010.09.29, 08:38 PM
Hi everybody ......i'm from Brazil, a mini z beginner....me and my friends have a little carpet racetrack called Galpas Racing...i have miniz mr 02 , mr 03 , awd, but the one i most like is my F1 Ferrari .....i'm racing with pn tires 10 degree front and 6 degree rear....totally grip...but they go like water....rsrs....see the video....and hear the aluminium pinion....hehehe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBHAnxb4R1c

mugler
2010.10.14, 09:26 PM
hey guys saw an item that didn't know existed, its the Kyosho Mini-Z F1 Rear Tire Inner Center Sponge Tape (4pcs/Formula)
Parts # MFW17. So i guess the idea is it will function like a larger scale rc tire once installed and it's most similar to the M18 actually (xray). Has anyone tried these?

herman
2010.10.14, 11:09 PM
hmm... any pics?

mugler
2010.10.15, 12:04 AM
It's on kenon's site. not sure if against rules to post a direct link or not so i didn't.

I just checked my tires on F1 rims and i don't see any room for that foam. it needs to be very thing so more of a foam tape than foam.

Mrs Mini-Z
2010.10.15, 01:53 PM
hmm... any pics?

Hi Guys,
Sorry the pic isn't great, but we do have the Kyosho Mini-Z F1 Rear Tire Inner Center Sponge Tape - 4PCS (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=20724&cat=0&page=1) (MFW17) in the shop, and it does say "sponge tape" in the description, so might be enough room to slide it in there!

EMU
2010.10.15, 02:06 PM
I thought about trueing the wheel a little to increase the room to put sponge tape... although, it would make the wheel much more vulnerable to breaking.

Mrs Mini-Z
2010.10.15, 02:14 PM
Hi Guys,
Sorry the pic isn't great, but we do have the Kyosho Mini-Z F1 Rear Tire Inner Center Sponge Tape - 4PCS (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=20724&cat=0&page=1) (MFW17) in the shop, and it does say "sponge tape" in the description, so might be enough room to slide it in there!

If anyone wants to try it out and report back I've created a 25% off coupon for MZW17 good for the entire weekend. Just use the coupon code F1TIRETAPE at checkout! :D

ruf
2010.10.15, 03:26 PM
We've taped F1 rear tires for years using the traditional thin tire tape. In mod, the wheels will spin in the tires without tape, and the tape also helps reduce the squirm and make cornering more predictable. The extra cushion of the MFW17 tape makes the tires look stupid (like motorcycle tires), but it does hook up better. I haven't had enough time on them to tell if there's an effect on predictability.

Also, this item is currently out of stock from Kyosho (more on the way), so the MZR offer is especially nice! :)