PDA

View Full Version : Test of Version 0.44 available

pinwc4
2010.03.24, 12:27 PM
We have made some major changes to the program so I am releasing a test build for people that are willing to try it out and give feedback as to what needs fixed. I am not posting this version on the main website as it needs more testing before it is ready.

You can download the installer for Windows from here:
http://www.flipsideracing.org/downloads/FlipSideRacing-windows-installer.exe
The Zip for Windows can be downloaded from here:
http://www.flipsideracing.org/downloads/fsraceWin-659.zip
The Zip for Mac can be downloaded from here:
http://www.flipsideracing.org/downloads/fsraceOSX-657.zip

I would recommend making a backup copy of your existing install before using this version just in case

Here the major changes with this version.

New Features

We finally have an installer! Thanks to the work of another individual on the forum (who is welcome to introduce themself) we now have an installer for Windows. If you point it to your existing directory it will upgrade your software or you can install to a new location.
There is now a theme manager. Within the program you can use the theme manager to change graphics or sounds. Creating themes will take graphics experience though since the buttons require multiple layers such as a mask image and a mouse over image. Pay attention to what image is being asked for as it will prompt you for multiple images when you click the browse button.
Robitronic hardware support, this may not be fully functional yet but I need people to test it and provide feedback
Sound effect for the end of a race added. You can enable and disable this for each race profile
Added option to the select rank change announcements. You can now set a race profile to announce any rank change instead of just lead changes
Added F1 countdown method. When selected the race will count down the number of seconds set as the count down time but the final starting horn will be randomly delayed 1 to 10 seconds. You will probably want to shorten the count down time to something like 5 seconds.

Enhancements

Free play race mode can now have different rank methods
Splash screen will now indicate what step the program is performing
Graphic for Splash screen can be replaced
Removed graphics and other unused files from EXE, they are now in the database

Bug Fixes

Fixed bug that could occur causing lap times to not be stored if you deleted multiple races in a row including the most recent one. The backup table of lap times would fail to include the next race.
Deleting a racer now shows the correct name in the dialog box that pops up
Fixed bug that could cause duplicate lap times to be inserted in some cases
Fixed bug that could cause the wrong persons name being announced in a lead change.
Added logic to prevent duplicate make and models from being added on the edit races screen

The installer and the theme manager are the main things that need testing.

With the theme manager the basic stuff such as changing the background, sound files or text colors the theme manager is fairly simple to use. But for changing button graphics you need multiple files, you will need the button image, a mask image and in some cases a mouse over image.

To create a new theme just type the name in the popup menu on the theme manager and click create.

I appreciate all the help and feedback everyone provides.

briankstan
2010.03.24, 12:38 PM
great, I look forward to testing this out. :)

kevo1036
2010.03.24, 01:55 PM
As pinwc4 said, I put together most of the installer. He finished up some of the changes needed for Vista and Windows 7. But feel free to send any comments/bugs you encounter my way and I can work at ironing them out.

It should work as a fresh and/or upgrade installer. If you wish to use it as an update, make sure you point the install directory to your current install directory in the installer (default location is C:\Program Files\FlipSideRacing). It should only overwrite main files (i.e. the Library files and main exe file). There is a new update directory which will contain any files needed by the program to update information in database and other files.

You may want to make a backup of your current install directory before upgrading. We have been able to test it on a few different machines and it did not overwrite in files which may contain customizations by the user, so I don't see any problems occuring.

Any feedback is welcomed and can be posted here, sent to pinwc4 and myself. Enjoy!!

briankstan
2010.03.25, 07:14 PM
Ok, I'm in need of some serious help here. I installed using the installer, then I moved my flipsideDB file in with my races. I thought I had copied it.

I was having some issues so I decided to uninstall the program and reinstall it. well it deleted my flipsideDB file when in did the uninstall, my problem is that it had our latest HFAY Race in there. is there anyway to recover what the installer removed? I checked the recycle bin but it wasn't there. I think I'm screwed. :mad::mad::mad:

please help if you can.

pinwc4
2010.03.25, 07:29 PM
Ok, I'm in need of some serious help here. I installed using the installer, then I moved my flipsideDB file in with my races. I thought I had copied it.

I was having some issues so I decided to uninstall the program and reinstall it. well it deleted my flipsideDB file when in did the uninstall, my problem is that it had our latest HFAY Race in there. is there anyway to recover what the installer removed? I checked the recycle bin but it wasn't there. I think I'm screwed. :mad::mad::mad:

please help if you can.

I assume you did a search across your drive to make sure that you did not copy the flipsideDB file somewhere else.

If not then you are going to have to use an undelete program. The uninstaller cleans up everything that was installed so if you moved the db instead of copying then it would be gone.

The key in something like this is to not really do anything on the computer, do not make any new files and do not really do much in the way of surfing etc. The data is usually still on the hard drive it just needs to be recovered.

Other people may have a good suggestion of undelete software but you can try this freeware program:

http://ntfsundelete.com/

pinwc4
2010.03.25, 07:32 PM
Just an added tip, if you have a separate computer to use then just hard power off the lap counting computer. The NTFSUndelete site has an iso image that can be burned to cd, boot off the cd and then do the undelete. This is better than installing the software on the computer since this stops any new data from being written to the hard drive of the computer that needs data recovered.

kevo1036
2010.03.26, 11:30 AM

please help if you can.

I'm sorry about the confusion. Uninstalling will remove all the files from your machine. I'm not familiar with the undelete software pinwc4 is talking about, but this will be the only way to try and recover any of the files.

Does the uninstaller need to give the user the option to retain the database and xml files when uninstalling?

This is the first release of the installer, and I would recommend just making a copy of the whole directory prior to trying anything. We were able to test several cases, but we can't test everything. I will look in to giving the user more options to retain some files when installing. Hopefully, the recover software will work. I'm sorry about the confusion and please keep the suggestions coming.

briankstan
2010.03.26, 11:49 AM
I'm sorry about the confusion. Uninstalling will remove all the files from your machine. I'm not familiar with the undelete software pinwc4 is talking about, but this will be the only way to try and recover any of the files.

Does the uninstaller need to give the user the option to retain the database and xml files when uninstalling?

This is the first release of the installer, and I would recommend just making a copy of the whole directory prior to trying anything. We were able to test several cases, but we can't test everything. I will look in to giving the user more options to retain some files when installing. Hopefully, the recover software will work. I'm sorry about the confusion and please keep the suggestions coming.

yes, this is completely my mistake, I moved by accident the DB file. I thought I had copied it until I went to replace the new one with it again.

I wasn't able to located the correct file so it looks like our results are lost. It kind of really sucks because several of us had set personal HFAY bests. I had my best race with 105 laps.

I would suggest that it leave the DB file if nothing else, as that is the most important file that contains the race data.

thanks.

pinwc4
2010.03.26, 04:02 PM
File recovery could still be possible using the right 3rd party software. I tested the software I linked above with trying to recover uninstalled software and it did not find the files so different software is needed. It found manually deleted files fine but not the directory where the software was.

Or if you happened to generate any reports for your HFAY races (not the export HFAY button but the Generate Reports button) and did not move those reports they would still be in the old folder. They would be under the reports folder in the old copy of the software. When you click that button it saves a copy of the race data as an html file and an xml file and includes individual lap times along with the summary information.

LED
2010.03.27, 06:07 AM
I'll try to test the robitronic this weekend.

pinwc4
2010.04.01, 12:39 PM
I have found a bug with the HFAY Export option that can affect some people. It is a result of using the new version of RealBasic to compile the application an I have changed the source code to support the new way. I needed to switch to the newer RealBasic because of a bug with database upgrades and Windows 7 64 bit.

Anything else that needs fixed or changed before the next official release?

LED
2010.04.01, 04:34 PM
Sorry I didnt get around to testing it. I got a neck insury last week...
I'll give it a go this weekend.

pinwc4
2010.04.01, 05:30 PM
Sorry I didnt get around to testing it. I got a neck insury last week...
I'll give it a go this weekend.

Sorry to hear about that.

If this release does not work for the Robitronic hardware then I will probably buy one myself, it will simplify things for me greatly. I need to sell my Kyosho IC lap counter anyways as I only bought it to add support.

hilldebrandt
2010.04.01, 07:10 PM
Pinwc4,
I'd be interested in buying the Kyosho lap counter from you if you don't have another buyer.
Thanks,
Gregg

pinwc4
2010.04.01, 08:19 PM
Pinwc4,
I'd be interested in buying the Kyosho lap counter from you if you don't have another buyer.
Thanks,
Gregg

Thanks, you should have an email from me about this.

hilldebrandt
2010.04.01, 08:41 PM
pinwc4,
Email responded to...

briankstan
2010.04.02, 10:32 AM
We tested version .44 at our races last night. Everyone really liked the changed that were made over the last version. Big hits were the position change call outs and the F1 start.

I had the countdown set to 4, and had it set to the random start. I think the time is pretty good for what it waits on the random pause. Some were long, some were short. It kept everyone honest on the start for sure. I didnít have any problems with anything on this version.

I didnít generate any reports or export anything so Iíll have to check that out later. As always we really appreciate your hard work on this software, itís simply fantastic !

LED
2010.04.10, 06:41 AM
I had a quick test o fthe robitronic support but sadly it still has the same problem as before. All laptimes are rounded to the nearest second.

pinwc4
2010.04.11, 01:04 PM
I had a quick test o fthe robitronic support but sadly it still has the same problem as before. All laptimes are rounded to the nearest second.

Thanks for checking again. I am a bit baffled why it does this. Tower is out of stock of the robitronic lap counter but once it is back in stock I will have one and get it sorted out. Hopefully I get it figured out before then, I have to be missing something simple.

briankstan
2010.04.11, 07:28 PM
jeremy, can you check the HFAY export format? I received alot of times this last submittal with a format in the time of 08:01.59, instead of 8:01.59 thanks.

pinwc4
2010.04.11, 08:18 PM
jeremy, can you check the HFAY export format? I received alot of times this last submittal with a format in the time of 08:01.59, instead of 8:01.59 thanks.

Yeah I will check it. Are you sure those results are coming from people using the Flip Side software? I did not look closely at the results I submitted to be able to notice that.

Thanks for the info

pinwc4
2010.04.11, 09:10 PM

This has been corrected in the source code. When version 0.45 is released it will be in the format 8:01.59.

briankstan
2010.04.11, 11:26 PM
This has been corrected in the source code. When version 0.45 is released it will be in the format 8:01.59.

thanks :), it was really messing up my sorting, I had to go through each time and remove the leading "0" to get the sorting right.

pinwc4
2010.04.12, 09:14 AM
thanks :), it was really messing up my sorting, I had to go through each time and remove the leading "0" to get the sorting right.

Sorry about that. The logic in the program has actually been set to include a leading 0 this whole time but it was being ignored until I updated my programming environment for this latest release.

I figured odd things like this would crop up since I updated my development environment and that is part of why I wanted to do a test release.

Thanks for the help