PDA

View Full Version : McLaren body rattle on MR-03

Ricochet
2010.03.24, 04:57 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post to any Mini-Z forum. I usually read everything I need but could not find an answer to my question so now I am posting it.

I recently built up an MR-03 with several mods. The chasis looks and drives great but my new McLaren body rattles. It sounds like a cheap toy car on the track rattling along. Its almost like the body clips are too loose for the chassis inserts when I investigated the issue. Fixing it is another story.

Anyone got any good homemade remedies for this?

Thanks

EMU
2010.03.24, 06:24 PM
You can remove the clips, and put some hot glue between the clip and the body... be sure that the clip is in the right position to set the bodies ride height, and isnt lopsided.

Or you can put a little hot glue on the part that mates with the chassis (let it cool before fitting). Shape with a file/dremel.

Tape the body to the chassis... This prevents it from falling off and rattling.

I usually use white bodies, and try to shim out the clip when I glue them in (unpainted bodies do not come assembled). This makes the body fit tighter.

ocean rodeo
2010.03.24, 08:32 PM
What do you you use to shim out the clips?

EMU
2010.03.24, 09:07 PM
Hot Glue... or styrene... Its more about options of what could be done.

I usually put glue on the clips and body, let them both dry. Then I glue them together after I figure out where I want the clips to sit. This makes the body fit a little tighter than it would if I just put a little glue and set the clips.

I need to invest in a hot glue gun, since I want my clips a little tighter on certain bodies, and its great to reinforce some bodies as well.

hobbycar
2010.03.24, 09:32 PM
Not 100% sure this is for your specific problem, but what I do is put general purpose masking tape on my body clips and front body mount to help the body fit as tightly and snugly to the chassis as possible.

In to many races I've see to many bodies come off slightly requiring a body tap or even totally fly off :eek: from a crash. After putting on the masking tape I've never had this particular problem.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29523&stc=1&d=1269484258

-hobbycar

Ricochet
2010.03.24, 09:44 PM
Not 100% sure this is for your specific problem, but what I do is put general purpose masking tape on my body clips and front body mount to help the body fit as tightly and snugly to the chassis as possible.

In to many races I've see to many bodies come off slightly requiring a body tap or even totally fly off :eek: from a crash. After putting on the masking tape I've never had this particular problem.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29523&stc=1&d=1269484258

-hobbycar

Actually that does help. I will try that tomorrow morning.

Any ideas how to get the body front end lower to the ground once mounted to the chassis? My front wheel wells have some serious clearance yet my rear wells are just right.

Thanks

EMU
2010.03.24, 10:14 PM
Actually that does help. I will try that tomorrow morning.

Any ideas how to get the body front end lower to the ground once mounted to the chassis? My front wheel wells have some serious clearance yet my rear wells are just right.

Thanks
You can shim the front clip down, or shim your knuckles up to lower the entire front of the chassis down...

herman
2010.03.24, 10:28 PM
+1 on emu's suggestion... hot glue will take up any loose spaces between the body mounts and chassis... you will have to invest in a hot glue gun though...

a quick fix will be hobbycar's suggestion, as i believe masking tape is more easily available...

for lowering the front... use low down springs, or knuckles... or use shim washers on the kingpin before you put on the knuckles... or you can shim the front body mount too...

good luck and hope this helps... :D

(dang... emu beat me to my post... :D)

Dylanmck46
2010.05.22, 04:26 PM
I got a new ball dif from PNRacing and I don't see how it fits . . . it's got some sort of slipper on the end that I assume can only be taken off with a screwdriver of some sorts.

Second, I got these bodies that are way too wide . . . I need something narrow that fits a 94mm.

Best,

herman
2010.05.23, 11:56 PM
hmm... depending on the motor mount there are two shaft lengths on a diff... one for LM and one for RM/MM/HM... the tool you need is called an allen wrench... if you ask around, i'm pretty sure that some one might have an extra and give it to you...

what particular body do you have?

chad508
2010.05.24, 07:24 AM
i sometimes take a hair dryer and heat up the sides of the body and squeeze it together, run it under cold water and it will hold the form.

herman
2010.05.24, 11:47 PM
hmm... hot tip... (pun intended) :D