PDA

View Full Version : Tires : Kyosho vs. P N Racing

machgo5go
2010.03.25, 04:44 PM
What are your opinions in your preferences on RCP track in 2WD 70T Stock?

Tjay
2010.03.25, 05:53 PM
It really depends on the track condition. Sometime kyosho works best than PN and vice versa. As for me, here are my choice and why.

1. PN6 rear radials= When installed properly, the tread life last longer than kyosho radials. At least 3 times its life or even more. No super glue needed, hard compound so it doesn't fold. It also has rounded sidewall not square.

2. Kyosho 20 rear radials= Always works on any track condition, new or old. I call this set, "insta' work"! :) Always, carry a set or two when traveling for competition. Only thing I don't like is that, I have to glue the tire on the rim so it wont fold and as mentioned above, they dont last that long.

dvsstrike
2010.03.25, 06:36 PM
i use kyosho's almost all the time but it varies on certain tracks though.
as Tj said Kyosho's will alway work but may not last as long.
PN better tire life and better sidewall but picky when tire combo isn't just right

EMU
2010.03.25, 08:33 PM
The PN 6d rad is not enough grip for me on med/low grip tracks. Kyosho 20d radial(K20R) is 'insta grip' as TJ said, and is the best rear tire for med/low grip tracks. ATM 8d rear works better for me than the PN 6d, they just need to be scrubbed in a bit. I primarily use the ATM 8 for 70t classes, where the K20R makes the car push a bit too much, and the amount of grip required is less.

High grip tracks all 3 work well, but as said above, the K20R wears very fast. Although the Kyosho have a better wear life, since they still work pretty well as a slick. I like them best when they are almost slick. When they are new, the tread is a little too deep, and I feel that grip isnt as good as when they wear in a little.

The K20R may have a little too much grip on high grip tracks and wear super fast, so a slightly harder tire may be better. I have the best results overall with ATM 8d for AWD mod and 2wd stock classes. Mod 2wd classes I mostly use K20R.

I glue all of my rear tires, I dont want any slip or change in balance on the tire on the wheel.

ocean rodeo
2010.03.25, 09:00 PM
Reflex's SSG tires work great as well. I'm with everyone on the Kyosho 20's though.

machgo5go
2010.03.25, 09:56 PM
Reflex's SSG tires work great as well. I'm with everyone on the Kyosho 20's though.
TKS all input.
I did started 2 months ago as novice on track recommendation of PN 15 fronts & 6 radial Rear.
Seem always on & off in handling so Just the heck of it,
I tried out Kyosho Frt. of 30 & Rear of 20's slick.
Liked it a lot in more predictable grip and can slide some if I really purposely jerk the wheel but it did wear out quickly.

Mike Keely
2010.03.30, 07:19 PM
I think most of the time I like the PN #8 fronts and rears. When the traction is a little low I use the PN #6 rears and PN #8 fronts. I think that the PN #8 fronts and the Kyosho #30 fronts are very close. I have used the Kyosho #20 rears but like the PN rears the best. I think that the thing I like the best is that WD 40 is a great traction compound for the PN rear tires.

egonzalez
2010.03.30, 08:19 PM
I use K20's in the Rear and K30's in the front... If you clean them with WD40 after every run you can get a lot of life out of them.. Like EMU said, once the treads wear off, they also work really well as slicks.

briankstan
2010.03.31, 09:42 AM
I've noticed a few comments about WD-40 being used as a traction compound. I'm sure this falls within your local racing rules, however both PNWC and HFAY don't allow any traction compound to be used, so make sure what your running is legal for the racing you are doing. :)

JuniorWKR
2010.03.31, 09:53 AM
i always felt the kyosho tires faded on me during the 10 min mains... and for some odd reason the kyosho 20 radial rears makes me traction roll...

i always weem to have the best success with pn 8 fronts and pn 6 treaded rears...

if i race at a track that has lower traction i will run the RR SSG's...

hpgod
2010.03.31, 11:13 AM
wd40 is an oil that will attack the rubber breaking it down making if softer for a short term ~7minutes and destroy the carcuss over time. I had a tire that had been wd40ed on race day sit in the tire box over the winter and came back in the spring and it was goo. It makes the car very inconsistant over a long run.

I have raced at track where people use wd40 and I have not and my untweaked tires come off greassy from the wd40 they has transfered from the pores of the tires to the track. As someone said reflexx SSGs are a much better option on a low grip track.

Mike Keely
2010.03.31, 06:52 PM
I've noticed a few comments about WD-40 being used as a traction compound. I'm sure this falls within your local racing rules, however both PNWC and HFAY don't allow any traction compound to be used, so make sure what your running is legal for the racing you are doing. :)

I do know that it is not allowed in these races. I do not use it in the HFAY events and most of the time only use it when the tire gets small in dia.

Mike Keely
2010.03.31, 06:56 PM
wd40 is an oil that will attack the rubber breaking it down making if softer for a short term ~7minutes and destroy the carcuss over time. I had a tire that had been wd40ed on race day sit in the tire box over the winter and came back in the spring and it was goo. It makes the car very inconsistant over a long run.

I have raced at track where people use wd40 and I have not and my untweaked tires come off greassy from the wd40 they has transfered from the pores of the tires to the track. As someone said reflexx SSGs are a much better option on a low grip track.
The WD40 does not work on the Kyosho tires it just makes them slippery.