PDA

View Full Version : MR-02 vs. MR-03 with respect to durability and maintenance need?

AeroFinn
2010.03.28, 11:37 AM
Dear more experienced mini z racers,

I want to buy 2wd mini z(s) for my sons;

I know the MR02 is pretty much a driver's car right as a basic package with no need to add bunch of option parts which is good.

The MR-03 being a more recent model seems attractive but I want to have "bullet proof" cars as my sons are only 6-10 years old so the way they drive is a bit rough..However, I would like to have cars that are good to drive, though..(I don't mind driving myself, too :D)

So if durability & low maintenance need are preferred which would you recommend? MR-03 or MR-02? I am running on RCP track.

thanks in advance, I really appreciate your comments and help

Artto

pedrocamp
2010.03.28, 12:03 PM
For younger kids, and beginners too, I would recommend the 02... it is cheaper and very durable. You can find many hopped up used cars for sale at a good price. The car is still quite competitive and when their skills improve you can get some 03s.

AeroFinn
2010.03.28, 01:20 PM
Hi Pedrocamp,

Thanks for your hint.:) So the MR-02 is more durable than the MR-03 or did I get it right?

artto

arch2b
2010.03.28, 03:09 PM
i have 2 sons, 4 and 9. they both have am mr-02's and they do fine with them. i have not had one broken part with box stock cars yet. i would avoid the mr-03 simply because parts are not plentiful at the moment. given time i'm sure they will be but right now it's a crap shoot.

am are still good cars for kids. they are much cheaper and the transmitters are easily undertandable to them.

LED
2010.03.28, 04:09 PM
I would say MR_02 to.
The back is the same so no discusion. But the front I think is more durable on the mr02. Even if they brake off the frond arms, the alu parts are cheap enough to put on instead of buying a new chassis. Also less to worry about with the mr02 front suspension.

EMU
2010.03.28, 05:18 PM
I agree. The MR03 is not as durable as the MR02. I have cracked a chassis between the front clip screws. I have also seen the entire front assembly crack off in a pretty big hit, but nothing that I thought would have the damage that was there. The MR02 is solid, the MR03 is lightweight...

AeroFinn
2010.03.29, 12:59 AM
EMU, LEd, Arch2

Thank you for your answers! This clarified things so I will go for the MR-2. I already have a ma-010 car which has annoying glitches (am) that I am building for myself. So what's your opinion on using ASF on MR-2 chassis? Is the reverse delay a big issue? I am also thinking the KT-18 trasmitter has a short antenna vs. the AM tx..

thank you again,

artto

EMU
2010.03.29, 01:47 AM
I have no issues with reverse delay. Once you adjust to it, there really isnt a problem. If you know you are going to hit a wall, hit the brakes until you come to a complete stop, then release, and hit reverse slowly with your steering wheel straight. I always check to see if I am going to back up into traffic, and wait until it is clear to do so, so the reverse delay doesnt bother me at all. Also, once you get the radio tuned at the right throttle trim, you really dont notice it.

I would try to find a Kyosho EX5-UR rather than the KT-18. Right now they are only available in Japan, but I would assume they will come to the states eventually. Do not get the KO Propo version, they are not the same (KO version is for standalone receivers, Kyosho is for Mini-Z/Dnano). If you cant find the EX5-UR, then look for the EX1-UR, which is more expensive, but has more model memories and can be used for other scales with modules to change the band (EX5 does not have modules). Both have similar functionality, although there are functions that the EX1 and EX10 have that the EX5 do not, but these are primarily used for larger scale nitro cars that you wouldnt use with the Mini-Z. I feel that the KT-18 is a waste of money, as it only gives you a little taste of what ASF can do. To add to that, you have to change all of the settings when you use a different car, as there is only one model memory. The EX5-UR is the radio that should have been released instead of the KT-18. Most KT-18 early on had big problems, and a bunch still do, so I would avoid it and get a better controller early on. After driving Forza III on the Xbox with a steering wheel, I wish I never started driving it with the analog stick controller. I feel that it is the same difference with the radios for Mini-Z. I feel a lot more control over the car, and what I can adjust with the car with the higher end radio than the restrictions the KT-18 has. I am sure that some will argue otherwise about the KT-18, but I drove ASF for a little while with it, and never got the feel for the car. In 5 minutes with the EX-10, my car was dialed :)

AM is a thing of the past. It is inferior in every way to ASF. There are more restrictions of channels, especially since you need a crystal for each channel, glitching (I almost forget what that is now with ASF), and less power and control over the motor and steering. The only thing AM has going for it right now is price, since it is a little cheaper to get into than ASF, but in the long run ASF is cheaper since you will eventually upgrade anyway.

dvsstrike
2010.03.29, 09:19 AM
iI agree with the 02 also. for the simple fact that parts are plentiful and the cars are indeed strong plus the fact you can get thenm in AM. the 03 is easier to drive in stock form but cost is high. but if cost is no issue get the o3.

arch2b
2010.03.29, 10:27 AM
keep in mind the target user here... kids. do you really recommend shelling out a premium for 2.4 and upgraded transmitters for children? if money is no object i agree but this is certainly not the norm these days. if your grooming them for the pro circuit, sure. for running at home or casually at the track, i disagree.

if aero was asking for recommendations for himself i would say emu covered it all quite well. take into consideration these are for kids and i disagree. am is certainly past tech. at this point however it's certainly easier for a kids to drive and the intro costs are MUCH less. unless you live in a high interference environment, am will suit kids just fine. my kids actually prefer their am car over my 2.4. they both hate the kt-18. they see me with my ex-10 and they want something that looks techy like mine, not what appears to be a kids toy.

unless aero is taking his kids to a track, channel restrictions are non existant and if he does, so few use am now that i argue its still not an issue like it used to be. in most cases, interference is not an issue either. a reminder, we all did very well for 8+ years with am mini-z's.

i do not recommend going out and spending on top of the line nor best in the market for kids entertainment. i'd be happy to pick up the stuff for cheap when resold if after the kids loose interest but i'm hoping this is not the case. think of it as graduated licensing like most states have with drivers licenses now. start out with a good entry level car and move your way up to more competitive models as the kids desire grows, if it does.

your concerns regarding antenna length are valid. i trained my kids to keep the tx pointed up (most of the time) and to keep a situational awareness as to what it's being pointed at, use examples from video game experience or whatever is relevant. my 4yr old broke one last year but since then, no problems. they even remember to push them back down when they are done. :)

herman
2010.03.29, 11:11 PM
all good points... but if it's going to be for kids... has to be 02 am... anything i add to the discussion has already been said... :D
am is still good... if you're looking for stuff... take a look at this specific thread...
stuff for sale (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34095)
it's a post by techno... good mix of stuff being sold on that particular thread...
good luck and hope this helps

AeroFinn
2010.03.30, 04:32 AM
Wow! so many great comments! :D One more thing I forgot to ask (and couldn't find info elsewhere but maybe I just didn't use right search words):

Which chassis tracks the best? I am asking this as I am working on the steering of my MA-010 to get it run straight. I did the steering mod introduced by EzTuner (thanks!) followed by dremelling the servo cover. Well, things became better but the original problem of the car veering to right after a right turn and left after a left turn still exists. So I am going for delrin servo gears and if this doesn't help then I do not know what to do :confused: Maybe switch the AM radio unit to ASF or then go for spektrum receiver & independent digi servo, etc. route I dunno..we'll see..

OK to get back to the topic, I do not want to play with the steering of the 2wd cars to get them run straight and not veer or wander to left after a left turn..etc. Although the users will be kids I want them to have nice and good driving experiences.

So in this respect which chassis has the servo assembly that centers well & allows the car run straight? Is there any true difference between the MR-02 and MR-03? Or is it such that in order to get things right one has to go for the aftermarket chassis such as Inzane, etc. with good independent steering digi servo?

Sorry this became a long post..but I still thing this steering characteristcs is an important issue..

So if you have time and patience I am very gratefull to hear opinions on the topic in question

herman
2010.03.30, 05:45 AM
the ma-010 is a whole different animal... will get to that soon...

in my experience, i've had very little problems/issues with the mr02/mr015 tracking straight... just got a mr03 and that tracks straight too...

going back to the ma-010... i really want to like it... but it's just as you said... it doesn't track straight... it veers to one side after turning... i just opened it up yesterday... dremeled the servo cover... and well it still doesn't track straight... i might have to change the pot... some say to change the servo saver... hmm... what's ez tuner's steering mod? think i missed that one...

i've also got a 2.4 ghz awd... in the hope that the better electronics will solve the issue.... and viola.... it still veers to one side... i believe that these things are more difficult to sort out... it's a pain taking them apart and putting them together (compared to the mr02/015)

i'm pretty sure that some people feel the same way that i do... and some don't (they probably found a magical solution or something)...

i just can't find out what it really is... guess maybe i'll have to change out the pot and see what will happen... anybody have an extra working pot for sale? lemmie rephrase...
anybody have a cheap extra working pot for sale???

or any other suggestions?

AeroFinn
2010.03.30, 08:27 AM
Hi Herman and others,

here is the link to the thread that has the "EzTuner steering mod" that I mentioned described. Hope it helps..

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31899&highlight=servo+saver

In my case it made the steering more accurate and helped with this tracking issue. The problem still exists, unfortunately..

So you have Spektrum / futaba digiservo with original servo gear, pot & servosaver assembly set-up, right? And still veering left / right as with original radio unit?

Thank you again you all!

arch2b
2010.03.30, 08:45 AM
again, you can get opinions that delve into the minutia of the improved characteristics of the mr-03 over the mr-02 and in the end, a kid will never know the difference. i argue, the average driver will never know the difference. does the mr-03 track better than the mr-02, sure. the servo is much more precise and control is much more precise. but then there are threads about the mr-03 stripping servo gears as well.

the mr-01 tended to wander a bit. the mr-02 was a drastic improvement over the mr-01. the mr-015 is the red headed stepbrother to the mr-02 and equally as fine. the mr-03 is the rich cousin that touts about with the air of superiority.

the mr-02, am or 2.4 will serve your needs more than adequately. don't bow to pressure of 'got to have the latest and greatest' or i'll end up buying it off you for a pittance when the kids grow tired of it.;) sometimes i think many of us forget that even the mr-01 is still a decent car which we ran for MANY years. each chassis has it's own bag of issues particular to each.

EMU
2010.03.30, 03:39 PM
again, you can get opinions that delve into the minutia of the improved characteristics of the mr-03 over the mr-02 and in the end, a kid will never know the difference. i argue, the average driver will never know the difference. does the mr-03 track better than the mr-02, sure. the servo is much more precise and control is much more precise. but then there are threads about the mr-03 stripping servo gears as well.

the mr-01 tended to wander a bit. the mr-02 was a drastic improvement over the mr-01. the mr-015 is the red headed stepbrother to the mr-02 and equally as fine. the mr-03 is the rich cousin that touts about with the air of superiority.

the mr-02, am or 2.4 will serve your needs more than adequately. don't bow to pressure of 'got to have the latest and greatest' or i'll end up buying it off you for a pittance when the kids grow tired of it.;) sometimes i think many of us forget that even the mr-01 is still a decent car which we ran for MANY years. each chassis has it's own bag of issues particular to each.
I do agree with Arch here. Who are you buying the car for? If it is for yourself, consider the upgrade to the MR03. Although, I would still consider the MR02. It is more stable than the MR03 on the track, the MR03 is a little lighter, which makes it affected by bumps on the track more than the MR02.

I think that the MR02 would be a better chassis to start with than an MR03. It is far more durable, and for me a little easier to tune and drive. The MR03 will be faster, but it is driving on a razors edge, the MR02 is more planted and better to learn the basics with. The MR03 a little delicate, but a little faster as well.

I feel that my MR02s track straighter than my MR03s as well. The MR03 feels like it is always making corrections, not staying straight like the MR02.

arch2b
2010.03.30, 03:47 PM
eugene is very wise and a very experienced racer and gives very good avice :) i've been lapped by him many times:p

AeroFinn
2010.03.30, 04:02 PM
EMU & Arch2b,

Thanks for the remarks. I will go for the MR02 since everybody keeps on saying the tracking problem is associated to the MA-010 only.
:)
Btw good to hear you support the idea of not always rushing after the latest and greatests..as you pointed out for an average driver the fun is you can concentrate on learning the basics instead of finding yourself to feel confused with how to tune a car that's just too sophisticated for a beginner..

Btw I just got a message from my local hobby shop saying they have only few MR02 / am cars still available (maclaren or aston martin). So I'd better act quick! ;)Which of these too bodies might be more durable? Any guesses?

EMU
2010.03.30, 04:28 PM
Aston Martin is one of the easiest cars to pick up and drive. Also good durability.

Thanks for the kind words Arch :)

AeroFinn
2010.03.30, 05:04 PM
Thanks EMU,

I guess it's an easy choise then ..:)

EMU
2010.03.30, 07:17 PM
I personally would still go with ASF, but thats my preference.

Glad I could help.
-EMU