PDA

View Full Version : F3?

pedrocamp
2010.04.05, 11:51 PM
Just a couple of shots of an F1 that I fit an 03 board and the 2010 damper. The board was an easy fit, the POT wires are long enough and the big motor soldered right on. I had to trim the damper bracket to clear the ICS port. The clearancing for the 02 ICS worked out for the bind switch. I had to clearance the Ferrari body a bit for the damper.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm11/cojono/F3TopView.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm11/cojono/F3Body.jpg

herman
2010.04.06, 01:28 AM
cool... did you use the 03 servo motor or the older 02/01 servo motor?

EMU
2010.04.06, 01:33 AM
cool... did you use the 03 servo motor or the older 02/01 servo motor?
I love answering a quote with a quote :D
the big motor soldered right on.
Looks cool. I saw BrianKStan mount the DDS on the bottom of the metal shock/antenna mount, which allows a little more room for clearance. He was also using the PN mount...

pedrocamp
2010.04.06, 04:40 AM
I saw BKS' undermount but I already had a layer of 8858 on this board so I didn't have clearance. For the DPS I ended up using a longer screw with an additional washer and a standard nut as a spacer (I found the included spacer too tall). I assembled the DPS spring stack, tightened the nut then bolted to the car. This gave me a little more preload on the lower DPS spring than upper but I could shim the bracket to adjust if necessary. I have yet to get it on a track, I am sure some tuning will be necessary.

Traveler
2010.04.06, 06:06 AM
Nice work PC! Hope to see it in action on Thursday :)

MantisMMA
2010.04.06, 08:47 AM
kinda of topic but does that new chassis still have the dreaded tweak? still have to shim teh right side?

pedrocamp
2010.04.06, 10:54 AM
I haven't done a final setup check. My original clear chassis from 2002 was actually pretty good, once I got the stiction out of the front suspension (I ran no rear damper system previously, just the F1 shock). I will remove the damper plate and check this new one.

Eman
2010.04.06, 12:34 PM

Looks cool. I saw BrianKStan mount the DDS on the bottom of the metal shock/antenna mount, which allows a little more room for clearance. He was also using the PN mount...

Your such a D head....

VAzRACER
2010.04.06, 03:02 PM
kinda of topic but does that new chassis still have the dreaded tweak? still have to shim teh right side?

I bought two of the new chassis, one for each car. One had no tweak at all and the other was the worst one I had ever had. Other than that they drive the same as the clear ones.

Looks good Pedro. I just bought that dds but haven't put I on yet, let us know how it works.

MantisMMA
2010.04.06, 10:51 PM
anybody know EXACTLY where the tweak is?

VAzRACER
2010.04.07, 04:46 PM
anybody know EXACTLY where the tweak is?

Not really, I had to put three shims under the right side where the motor mount and side plate screw together to get rid of it if that helps.

One thing I always notice is that the side plates never sit flat where they are bolted to the chassis. I always have to use one shim under the screw towards the back of the chassis to get them sitting right. It would cause an ark in the plates when the screws were tightened down. Most of the time that would cure my handling issues, this is the first chassis I have had that is truly tweaked.

ruf
2010.04.07, 06:39 PM
On the clear chassis, it's usually where the nose meets the main chassis. I poke the corners of the chassis on a piece of glass to determine the tweak, heat it up and bend it until it's flat. I don't have any experience with the newer black chassis. I will soon, since I need to build up a new F1 to take down pesky driver that won the WC this year... ;)

BTW, that car looks SICK.

z3zinho
2010.04.07, 07:07 PM
Nice car, and real clean looking wiring you've got there.

I will soon, since I need to build up a new F1 to take down pesky driver that won the WC this year... ;)

Pesky is an understatement... :p

EMU
2010.04.07, 07:49 PM
On the clear chassis, it's usually where the nose meets the main chassis. I poke the corners of the chassis on a piece of glass to determine the tweak, heat it up and bend it until it's flat. I don't have any experience with the newer black chassis. I will soon, since I need to build up a new F1 to take down pesky driver that won the WC this year... ;)

BTW, that car looks SICK.

Jeo, that means that I have to take both of you down at the WC this year :p

On my 5 F1's, I really dont have any that have very noticeable tweak. I just got the new Carbon limited edition, which I will start to build up to race spec soon with the new Mantis parts. Hopefully theres no tweak :rolleyes:

pedrocamp
2010.04.07, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys. My new grey chassis is quite flat luckily. I will have to check it after I've "walled" it a few times.

herman
2010.05.25, 10:59 PM
the big motor soldered right on.

dooh... guess i missed that one... i thought he was pertaining to soldering the main motor on...lol

are there any steering issues? does the mr03 board have any problem using the old/bigger servo motor? is steering the same or does it seem faster compared to the older boards?

thanks in advance...

pedrocamp
2010.05.26, 05:48 AM
I have done 3 of these conversions and they all work great. Can't say I see any steering speed difference due to the 03 board. Reverse is much improved....

Traveler
2010.05.26, 07:42 AM
I may need you to do mine too!

mk2kompressor
2010.05.26, 03:01 PM
ive opened/used 3 of the limited black chassis and had no tweak issue at all:)
nice neat conversion dude:cool:

herman
2010.05.27, 11:38 PM
I have done 3 of these conversions and they all work great. Can't say I see any steering speed difference due to the 03 board. Reverse is much improved....

thanks for the info... :D