PDA

View Full Version : White Knuckle Racing 64p Gear Diff

JuniorWKR
2010.04.09, 12:09 PM
ok guys after almost a year of asking evey manufacture out there to make this and to no avail i have decided to take matterts into my own hands and try to create this peice on my own... so far they are working flawless... the idea is simple, the execution on the other hand is a different story... between working with a tire truer and a lathe trying to get these thing to spin true was something in itself... so far my setting are allowing me to make a 53 tooth the easiest... 52 and 54 are a different story... i will work on it some more... but i might need better resources or machinery.... let me know what you guys think...

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29605&stc=1&d=1270829121

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29606&stc=1&d=1270829121

here is a pic of my stock and mod car both with 64p gear diff... i have always felt that nothing rotated better or transitioned quicker than a gear diff it was always just the case of being under geared in stock... i originally used it with the overland gears as they provided a 11 and 12 tooth but it wasnt very smooth or efficient... this combo is flawless...

right now im running my stock gears dry and my mod im using grease on the gears... still working on different greases to see which one i like the best but i really like it...

briankstan
2010.04.09, 12:22 PM
great job, nice looking cars and bodies in those pictures :cool:

JuniorWKR
2010.04.09, 01:20 PM
thank you and thank you...

EMU
2010.04.09, 02:17 PM
I have always wanted to try a 64p gear diff. Great job... looks very clean :) Would love to see the laptime comparison between the 64p gear diffs and 64p ball diffs.

On the very high grip surface that you have at MHS, the gear diff may be the better option. On low grip surfaces it may not run as well as a ball diff...

JuniorWKR
2010.04.09, 02:32 PM
thank you emu...

as far as traction goes i believe ur right when it comes to mod motors... may still be able to get away with it on 70t...

majority of the amainers at the pn worlds were running stock diffs and that was on a brand new track that was just layed down for this race..

now dont get me wrong i know there is a caliber of racign there that most will never touch but for now they arer working awesome...

Maj was running his yesterday and the infeild rotation he was getting was amazing... especially throught the tight switchback sections... i wouldnt be surprised if he breaks 8 secs as he hit 8.1 with ball diff... i will run mine tonite and find out... i didnt have enough time the other day to run it on the computer..

JuniorWKR
2010.04.09, 02:35 PM
i would really like to figure out a way to make the spur gear interchangable so i could change from 52,53,54 for diffeernt track layouts and conditions...

EMU
2010.04.09, 02:36 PM
Cool, keep us updated with the performance. If you ever get production, I would love one :)

MantisMMA
2010.04.09, 03:30 PM
you never asked me about making them!!:rolleyes: good idea though, i might have try it out, it would be nice to figure out a way to keep the fluids inside

EMU
2010.04.09, 03:46 PM
Junior, may I make a suggestion, ti shaft :)
http://www.reflexracing.net/prodimages/images/QT-081202-BL.jpg (http://www.reflexracing.net/proddetail.asp?prod=QT%2D081202%2DBL)

Mantis, I havent thought about using gear diffs in a while... I have been using ball diffs lately... but for stock classes, I think a 64p gear diff should be a better option on most tracks. Since all the power is transferred to the ground, and turn in is very fast. I used to use gear diffs in 70t/stock motor classes, but stopped once the 64p ball diff gear sets came out, since there is too much resistance on the drivetrain with 48p compared to the 64p ball diffs...

ocean rodeo
2010.04.09, 04:57 PM
Can you post pics of the internals?

EMU
2010.04.10, 12:22 AM
Internals look like they are the same as the stock diff. Looks like he lathed the 48p gears off the gear diff, then cut the inside of the ball diff spur out, and slid it on and superglued it in place. Its a lot more work than it sounds, and it looks very well executed.

JuniorWKR
2010.04.12, 09:14 AM
i got to spend some time running them fri and i like it very much...

a couple of things i noticed right away was on both mod and stock i had to turn down the steering travel an amazing 10%... i had to go from pn 8 front to pn 15 front because of the increase intial turnin...

for the first 10 or so laps i hit every inside corner:o:rolleyes:.... i havent had so much intial steering in a long time... it mad me much faster because of the amount of speed i am now able to carry through the infield...

as for mod it was silly... i forgot how much power the gear diff puts down... and when combined with pn 6 treaded rears it was amazing...

i wound up using 12th scale sure lube on the diffs... #1 on stock and #2 on mod.... i put a pea size drop on each of the 3 spider gears...

right now im working on coming up with a better internal washer system so when making lefts the right side diff doesnt add un necessary pressure to the gears...

Will keep you guys posted with my progress...

PNracing
2011.06.20, 02:46 PM
We will release the new Adjustable Gear Diff soon, and just 10 second you can change the spur gear, M0.5, 64P and 126P within 10 seconds only, just need take out the gear side wheel only.

We had couple PN drivers on testing, they love it.

LED
2011.06.20, 04:10 PM
I noticed this weekend they like it.
I'm just scared of the price tag cause there are alot of small pieces in it.

yasuji
2011.06.20, 08:45 PM
we @ pnracing have been testing this for a while now and i must say that it is verry good in its prototype!
i am excited to test it in its final proto before production!
btwJR, kudos on the proto that u made ... LOOKING GOOD!

EMU
2011.06.20, 11:42 PM
we @ pnracing have been testing this for a while now and i must say that it is verry good in its prototype!
i am excited to test it in its final proto before production!
btwJR, kudos on the proto that u made ... LOOKING GOOD!
Just curious if this will be a full diff assembly, or just a replacement spur for the stock gear diff? Any idea/guesstimate how far out it will be for production?

yasuji
2011.06.21, 12:06 AM
Just curious if this will be a full diff assembly, or just a replacement spur for the stock gear diff? Any idea/guesstimate how far out it will be for production?

it will be a full assembly!..rt now in its full proto form i believe it is lighter than the lightest ball diff assembly combo out there..
as far as time frame i dont know... pn will know better than i will... but i think it is pretty close!

EMU
2011.06.21, 12:08 AM
it will be a full assembly!..rt now in its full proto form i believe it is lighter than the lightest ball diff assembly combo out there..
as far as time frame i dont know... pn will know better than i will... but i think it is pretty close!

So I take it that it will not be compatible with the standard diff shaft? :confused: Which would help to make it compatible for both LM and standard width mounts. And possibly with one part replaced (right hub) for F1 use ;)

yasuji
2011.06.21, 01:11 AM
So I take it that it will not be compatible with the standard diff shaft? :confused: Which would help to make it compatible for both LM and standard width mounts. And possibly with one part replaced (right hub) for F1 use ;)

no...srry...it is a complex peice of art!;) and im sure that in time, pn will make s diff for all of the above!as he does for the ball diffs!:D

imxlr8ed
2011.06.21, 09:35 AM
I used to use Penn Reel grease (fishing reel grease) in my stock diffs when we ran the early HFAY layouts. Got away from the stock diffs due to the slop in the outer spur/gear housing. If the "play" can be taken out and the turning pressure issue can be solved... I know these would be popping up all over in stock classes.

BrandonGR
2011.12.18, 09:50 PM
I haven't read anything about the 64p gear differential lately. Are you guys still working on this project? I have a car that I would really love to run one on. I'm really excited about this part.

krazy_miniZ
2013.03.18, 09:38 AM
We will release the new Adjustable Gear Diff soon, and just 10 second you can change the spur gear, M0.5, 64P and 126P within 10 seconds only, just need take out the gear side wheel only.

We had couple PN drivers on testing, they love it.

Never seen a 126p gear diff yet. This still in the works or just all sold out?

yasuji
2013.03.18, 11:15 AM
Never seen a 126p gear diff yet. This still in the works or just all sold out?

the 126p never made it in to production as being direct drive (no slip) it was too easy to strip:(