PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Z Painting

kyoshosan
2010.05.01, 11:24 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm about to paint my first Mini-Z Body :-) I'd like to know if I need to primer the body prior to painting it. I'll use Tamiya TS Spray paint. I haven't done any modification to the body, i.e. adding putty or so. All tips are welcomed :-) I guess it would be a good idea to wash clean the body first, right ? can i use regular dish soap ?

Thanks in advance,

Fovea3d
2010.05.01, 12:50 PM
Hi Kyoshosan.
Dishsoap will do. Then rinse with water and let it dry by itself. Dont use a cloth to dry the body or some invisible fibers may stick on the body. Also don't ever touch it with your fingers. Before the first coat blow on the body to blow any dust particle away.
Painting using TS spray cans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7NH5iZX7Lk)
Primer then 2 or more paint coats then 1 or more clear coats. Let dry between coats, the longer the better, ideal: 1 day.
Don't overspray one coat to avoid runs. Also to avoid runs constantly turn the body with its support until 1 mn after the last spray (or until you are sure that the paint is not liquid anymore).

LED
2010.05.01, 06:03 PM
I dont use primer when I airbrush the bodys.
Clean them and dont touch them again with yout fingers as said above.
I dont use primer because I feel its to much trouble for nothing. Once you start racing and hitting other cars or the edge of the track, paint is going to come of wether you prime or not. I never had paint peeling of or let gofo the body either.
If the paint comes of, your using the wrong kind imo.

Good luck

chad508
2010.05.01, 07:36 PM
i also do not use a primer when i airbrush. i do use a good automotive paint prep cleaner/degreaser to clean the body.