PDA

View Full Version : PN front low down knuckle

Racer-HH
2010.05.02, 01:44 AM
Hi guys,

has anybody an idea, how to install these knuckles correctly? Do I have to shim or is the "free space" on the king pin (in comparison to the standard knuckle where there was no space) a wanted effect and neccessary for proper use?

Racer

color01
2010.05.02, 11:23 PM
Just put them in the same way you take out the stock ones. :) No need to shim the gap, that was cut into the knuckle to give racers a place to put in damping grease.

Racer-HH
2010.05.03, 05:13 AM
Thanks Brian. I am sorry my "not so good" English description caused some misinterpretation. Actually the front cut within the knuckle is clear to me. But thanks again for pointing that out.
What is unclear for me is, as the PN knuckles have a lower height than the Kyosho plastic ones, if there needs to be shimming below or on top of the knuckle or if the free play is a wanted design feature of the low down knuckle.
Hope this explanation makes things more precise.

Racer

color01
2010.05.03, 05:35 AM
Ah, I see what you mean now. :)

You can definitely shim underneath the knuckles to take up the gap; the gap is what's known as "droop" in suspension tuning books, and too much of it in the front end can be a bad thing. On my MR-03 I try to tune the front end to achieve a very slight amount of droop when the car is "fully loaded" (body, batteries, etc.). Too much makes the car sluggish, but no droop at all (the springs preloaded) will not allow the suspension to properly absorb the bumps in the road.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Racer-HH
2010.05.03, 06:30 AM
Yes, this is the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you very much for sharing. I will try to find this specific setup tonight and take the car for a test drive on Friday.

Racer