PDA

View Full Version : Hfay bte #4

briankstan
2010.05.11, 02:48 PM
Well it's almost time to get running the HFAY Big Track Event. it you'd like submit a track for consideration please feel free to post them in this thread. We will post up the official track by the end of the month so there is still time to get you ideas in.

track should be limited to the following kits:

3 wide L track kits.
1 wide inside corner kit (total of 4 wide inside corners)

track will be open for the entire month of June. All clubs are welcome to run the track, no registration or fee for the Big track Events.

Classes, will be as follows:

Racer (follows HFAY current rules)
Formula 1 (follows HFAY current rules)
Modified Open (open 1/28ths scale)

hrdrvr
2010.05.11, 03:28 PM
^ You know we are in!

Im going for broke this time. Im tired of getting second :D

briankstan
2010.05.11, 03:41 PM
^ You know we are in!

Im going for broke this time. Im tired of getting second :D

just don't get broke. remember the saying "To finish first, first you must finish" ;)

chad508
2010.05.11, 03:47 PM
atleast someone from mb got first in something

Mike Keely
2010.05.11, 05:47 PM
Can someone tell me how the top club points are figured out for a season?

briankstan
2010.05.12, 08:13 AM
Can someone tell me how the top club points are figured out for a season?

it's the average finish of each of your club members.

Number of earned points from all drivers divided by number of participated races by all drivers. this gives the average points earned by the club during the season. :)

tudor_47
2010.05.12, 10:59 AM
MiniZšta in Sweden are in!
we will run the OPEN class... as we use foams on our cars.
www.minizata.com

pnracingsweden
2010.05.12, 04:43 PM
RadicalRides in sweden are in :-)
/Joker

kevo1036
2010.05.12, 05:21 PM
Z-Texas is out unless someone has some extra track around Austin and wants to get the big track event going.

Mike Keely
2010.05.12, 09:27 PM
it's the average finish of each of your club members.

Number of earned points from all drivers divided by number of participated races by all drivers. this gives the average points earned by the club during the season. :)

Thanks Brian.

hpgod
2010.05.20, 11:50 AM
BTE4 Layout please:)

Atlanta Miniz looks to be back and may have our BTE next weekend (early) but we maybe bringing a few racers back into the action.

Art
Atlanta MiniZ

yasuji
2010.05.20, 01:05 PM
NetZone RC is in for this event! whats the layout?

Mike Keely
2010.05.22, 09:34 PM
Don't know if I can add a request or not. Where we run this event we can not have the track wider then 9 tiles wide. We are planning on running this event with both Remnant and DC' clubs together. Thanks MK

briankstan
2010.05.22, 10:33 PM
Don't know if I can add a request or not. Where we run this event we can not have the track wider then 9 tiles wide. We are planning on running this event with both Remnant and DC' clubs together. Thanks MK

any length restrictions?

Mike Keely
2010.05.23, 01:22 PM
any length restrictions?

No. The longer the merrier.

JOE KROSNER
2010.05.23, 04:17 PM
We are scheduled to run sat. june 5th. Need to what layout pans out for all clubs involved.

Joe

briankstan
2010.05.23, 04:46 PM
Here is the track for the HFAY Big Track Race # 4. I didn't receive any suggestion so I went ahead and designed one up. :)

I'll be out out of town for the last few days of May and the first week of June, I'll get HFAY times up when I get back.

I wanted to get the track for the BTE resolved before I leave.

don't forget the races are 10 minutes, and we will run "Stock racer", "Stock F1", and "1/28th Open"

here it it. it consists of 3 wide "L" tracks and 4 wide inside corners (1 kit).

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29944&stc=1&d=1274651034

tudor_47
2010.05.24, 01:33 AM
Thanks for posting the layout!

MiniZšta will be racing the 13'th of June.

yasuji
2010.05.24, 09:57 AM
when is the deadline?

briankstan
2010.05.24, 03:32 PM
when is the deadline?

Grant, you have from now until the end of June to run the track. :) times need to be submitted before the 1st of July

hpgod
2010.05.29, 05:03 PM
whoo hoo atlanta miniz actually had the minumum racers for times again.

fredchia
2010.06.07, 10:32 AM
Hi,

Singapore would like to be in for the Big Track Event.

Can someone kindly guide me through this?

We do have the track and a core speedway lap counter.

I will need info on

1. How many racers max on the track?
2. PN 70T with sliver brushes ok?

Regards

hpgod
2010.06.07, 10:50 AM
no maximum on track minimum is 3 on track( can be fillin drivers)

fredchia
2010.06.07, 11:12 AM
What about the motor?

With silver brushes is this ok?

Regards

briankstan
2010.06.07, 02:36 PM
What about the motor?

With silver brushes is this ok?

Regards

your PN70 turn motors with silver brushes are fine. :)

yasuji
2010.06.07, 08:51 PM
your PN70 turn motors with silver brushes are fine. :)

???? really?????u can use the PURE silver brushes????in stk????70t????
OR r u saying the silver carbon brushes that come with the motor is ok

Mike Keely
2010.06.07, 09:26 PM
I always thought that you had to run the motor the way that they came. No mods of any kind except cutting the wires shorter.

hrdrvr
2010.06.08, 07:00 AM
^ Thats what I thought too! This is a direct quote from the HFAY site.

"No modifications may be made to any motors. No bearing, magnet, or brush upgrades allowed."

imxlr8ed
2010.06.09, 11:11 AM
The motor deal for the BTE stock class is this:

Any Stock, un-modified PN 70turn motor (bushing only).

So NO brush swaps, NO timing tweaks, NO magnet swaps.

It's all for fun... let's all be honest! :D

A link to the BTE #4 manual:

http://hfay.tinyrc.com/portals/0/files/Manuals/BTE_4_HFAY_Manual.pdf

miketre
2010.06.14, 03:20 AM
Hello People!

I've recently returned back to the hobby and am plesantly suprised by how organized the community has evolved into! Kudos to the organizers.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but i would like to get a ballpark figure of current fast times for this layout. I'm currently 6.6 - 7s laps for mod (ATM USA motor) and have no idea how far off I am.

Any inputs will be helpful in helping me decide if I should buy a faster motor for the event.

Thanks!

Mike Keely
2010.06.14, 04:57 AM
I was doing 6.3's with a stock motor.

miketre
2010.06.14, 08:08 AM

Mike, that's an awesome time!
Thank you, that's helpful. :)

imxlr8ed
2010.06.14, 09:06 AM
Ok... you guys do know you're not supposed to be sharing that information, right? I know it seems harmless but the whole theory behind the series is to just race your best no matter what.

Now... I know there isn't going to be anyone shooting for 6.3 lap times every lap, but I'd prefer that the results were based on just an honest effort and not shooting for the goal of a certain time.

Hmmm... am I taking this too seriously once again?

See pg.3, item 16... and pg.4, item 3:

http://hfay.tinyrc.com/portals/0/files/Manuals/BTE_4_HFAY_Manual.pdf

fredchia
2010.06.14, 10:13 AM
Hi,

Atomic Collective singapore is in.

Can I just find out which other clubs are in as well?

Regards

http://atomiccollective.webs.com

Hood
2010.06.14, 11:41 AM
I took the times back down, when I read Ed's comment.

Maybe we need a clarification on what we can post. I would assume that Laptimes were OK, but overall runs were not..

It takes alot more than one clean lap to put in a good 8 or 10 minute run with traffic and everything that can happen during a race. With every lap near 6.3 you could run 96 laps, I don't think anyone can come close to a time like that..

arch2b
2010.06.14, 06:23 PM
i don't see how fast lap would make a difference. its possible to get a hot lap and finish horrible.

hilldebrandt
2010.06.14, 06:39 PM
^^^True, but...

Ed is right, you cannot post anything...
No lap times, no results, not even a hint of anyone's fast lap.

I have never seen a result or lap time posted here until after the event took place in all the years HFAY has been going on, until now.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with the rule, it is what it is and should be followed...

JMHO

arch2b
2010.06.14, 06:40 PM
thats a point that is hard to argue against :)

Mike Keely
2010.06.14, 07:33 PM
Well I guess that I could take my time down but most of the guys have put the time in their posts also.

imxlr8ed
2010.06.15, 10:03 AM
I would say it's not a big deal... if you're fast, and if you're the fastest, it's not gonna matter who knows it. If a racer finds out your hot lap time and pushes himself to drive just as fast, well then... good for that racer, right?

That is kinda the whole point of HFAY, to find out how fast each of us really are... where we rank with the whole Z community. If we don't know what everyone else is doing around the world, we have no idea how well our own skills will match up. Who is the fastest, and can I get my own skills to that level to challenge? That is the constant burning question that drives us all.

In the series, we've re-used layouts... we all knew what we ran before and tried to do better... no big deal.

So... a lap time before result release is not going to cause major calamity...

BUT...

I would rather see all of our racers go into each event with nothing but the knowledge of their own capabilities and the motivation to push themselves further. Kind of like an honest leap of faith.

Thanks all!

miketre
2010.06.15, 12:03 PM
Well, I had the time today to get some track times for both stock and mod with a hotter motor. What i realized was that Mike's lap is really quick!
Having this knowledge really motivates me to work on my line and setup to shave off time, so thanks for that!

imxlr8ed
2010.06.15, 12:55 PM
Do your best... it's gonna be tough!

Welcome Singapore! Will be great to see what you guys can do! How many are participating from your club miketre? I see you're back from about a 5 year break!?!? :eek:

miketre
2010.06.15, 08:51 PM
haha. yes, i think it has been around 4-5 years. Mini-z kind of died down, and so did the clubs. But late last year, 2 clubs emerged out of the blue.
We're having a Mini-Z revival over here, and each of us is doing our part being Zee-vangelists.

I don't know how many racers we're going to have. We hope there's going to be more than 10. Some of the folks may choose to rest on our raceday, owing to the lack of sleep from watching the Fifa World Cup in the wee hours of the morning.
But there is definitely going to be at least 3 of us, so we'll definitely submit our times. :)

tudor_47
2010.06.16, 01:05 AM
MiniZata has reported their times....

Thanks!

chris130256
2010.06.23, 05:52 AM

That is a mighty time Mike. I would love to see a video of how you achieved it? None of us at Stafford UK could get within .6 sec of it.
As a matter of interest, what tires, batteries and bodyshell were you running?
Sorry to all for discussing the undiscussable but I/we are in awe!

imxlr8ed
2010.06.23, 09:11 AM
I was sitting at the timer when he did it and I drove his car after the race... I then saw how that lap was possible. :eek: His MR03 ran incredibly smooth and stable. I know it was a regular Enzo body... as far as setup... I took a glimpse and we had some discussion but I'll leave that up to him to share.

arch2b
2010.06.23, 12:01 PM
it was achieved with his very good setup, great driving lines and consistency. watching mike drive is like watching the car on computer autopilot. consistency is often overlooked. i'm sure we can get graphs, etc posted after the results are public.

if anyone wants a demonstration, i'm sure mike would be willing to show you ;) you can find him at remnant racing, see the tracks and gtg area.

hrdrvr
2010.06.23, 12:56 PM
I believe he did it no problem.

I'm not a hotlap kind of guy, and I got down in the 6.5s. I had to leave early the night we ran our event, so I got the guys to run two back to back runs (one for mod and one for stock) right at the beginning of the night without any practice. I'm sure if I would have practiced the layout, or at least got in some qualifiers before the mains I would have gotten down towards 6.3 too. I didn't have time for that though, so I didn't push for a fast lap at all. Even though I got flipped once in stock, I had a VERY consistent run that should put me up in the top 5 this time around. I really wanted first, as I have had quite a few seconds in the recent BTE races, but kromie101 beat my runs in both classes after I left. I only pray now, that I end up with a few more second place finishes :D

I would still like to see Mike's line to see where he was getting the other two tenths out of my lap. I know track to track, traction and speed differ, so maybe its just that, but I'd like to know for peace of mind. I could have run a little tighter, but it would have been at the risk of more mistakes.

hrdrvr
2010.06.30, 12:59 PM
Now, I really believe it! My man Eric (kromie101) put down a 6.4 in the main that night. This past week though was his second outing on the layout, and he spent some time running in his mod car. How about 5.875, with numerous laps within a run under 6 seconds!

I already started tearing the layout up, but Ill put it back together if any one doesn't believe me :D I'm all about some video proof :D

chad508
2010.06.30, 01:05 PM
i was there to see it myself. the best thing was we were carrying on a conversation while he was doing it.

kromie101
2010.06.30, 07:29 PM
arch2b, your right on that,consistency is key. i believe mike did it,cause i use to race 1/10 with him back in the day and he was FAST:D. only thing i don't like, i could'nt get down that low:D. 6.4 was my best with stock but i had a sweet run:cool:. i just hope it was good enough.

the hfay is fun. i just wish we could run more of the big track layouts,just my opinion. i'd like to race against everybody more often. maybe weekly :D.

miketre
2010.06.30, 08:50 PM
I hope to see some videos of the fast runs. I'm not interested in video proof, but watching videos of fast guys is really a good teaching tool that tells you straight away where you are losing time, and where you are keeping up, the different lines that they take, where they put the power down, etc etc.

We took a video of our last mod run. We can post the link after the results are out. but nothing to shout about as there were no laps that are as fast as what we've been discussing here.

Has anyone else taken videos? :D

hpgod
2010.06.30, 09:04 PM
atlanta minz results are in.

I beleave the low lap times. I dropped a few 6.4s lately. I dropped ~5 10ths after learning a few new things at the pn world cup from MAJ and Junior. I never got a good run after that race but my car is much quicker since.

Art
atlanta miniz

chris130256
2010.07.01, 01:51 AM
Discussing lap times, best setups, race lines etc, during the month should be encouraged IMO. More racing feedback would help everyone. We're not all capable of 6.3's but we would all like to be. I need all the help I can get! And a time to shoot for!
The results should include best lap times as well as the total lap score.

Arahawak
2010.07.01, 03:45 AM
Are the results going to be out soon? I am excited to know how well I do compared to the rest of the world.

Cept I think I did not do too well locally. :o

mk2kompressor
2010.07.01, 04:22 AM
the results are being calculated and should be posted soon:)

kromie101
2010.07.01, 09:35 PM
art, ditto with the learning thing;). junior helped me out big time.

IMO having mad motor is awesome but before you can use it you gotta be so consistant. at the pn regional junior and maj had balistic motor speed but they were also very consistant. i felt like i was consistant but was a little slower and it showed on paper. i'm ready to graduate to more motor:D.

Mike Keely
2010.07.02, 06:14 PM
That is a mighty time Mike. I would love to see a video of how you achieved it? None of us at Stafford UK could get within .6 sec of it.
As a matter of interest, what tires, batteries and bodyshell were you running?
Sorry to all for discussing the undiscussable but I/we are in awe!

I think that I had a few 6.3's in the main. My fastest lap was a 6.28.

I ran the same car in stock and mod but I have just built a new mod car with the Tri-shock set-up. We will see how it does????:)

The set-up is a Enzo body, #5 T bar, Reflex racing front kingpins with white springs, TCP 900 cells not matched, no top shock, PN damper with #700 shock oil, +3 rear rims with PN #6 radial tires, +1 front rims with PN #8 slicks, PN 64 pitch gears with a 12 pinion and 54 spur, Kyosho ball diff, HFAY stickered motor with no drops.

When you look at the HFAY results for the season you will see the first race I did not do as well as the others. The first race I ran a F430 with a 96mm wheel base. All of the rest of the races I ran the Enzo with that exact same set-up on it. I have tried changing things and go back to the same set-up.

It is not all me. The car is very easy to drive.:D

chris130256
2010.07.03, 01:32 AM
I think that I had a few 6.3's in the main. My fastest lap was a 6.28.

I ran the same car in stock and mod but I have just built a new mod car with the Tri-shock set-up. We will see how it does????:)

The set-up is a Enzo body, #5 T bar, Reflex racing front kingpins with white springs, TCP 900 cells not matched, no top shock, PN damper with #700 shock oil, +3 rear rims with PN #6 radial tires, +1 front rims with PN #8 slicks, PN 64 pitch gears with a 12 pinion and 54 spur, Kyosho ball diff, HFAY stickered motor with no drops.

When you look at the HFAY results for the season you will see the first race I did not do as well as the others. The first race I ran a F430 with a 96mm wheel base. All of the rest of the races I ran the Enzo with that exact same set-up on it. I have tried changing things and go back to the same set-up.

It is not all me. The car is very easy to drive.:D

Thanks for the setup Mike. I'm sure there will soon be more than a few Z's out there that will have been 'Keely'd'!:cool:

briankstan
2010.07.03, 05:07 PM
hey Mike, can you send me your car so I can tech it !!! I'll send it back at the end of season 10. After I've given it a 10 race test ;);) J/K.

those are some great times. best we could manage was a 7.20

Mike Keely
2010.07.03, 09:19 PM
I was at the track today and checked the BTE #4 times. In the mod run I did 18 laps below 6.39. My fastest was a 6.25.

kromie101
2010.07.03, 10:24 PM
im ready for the results:D. i feel like a kid at christmas just waiting:D.

fredchia
2010.07.04, 01:03 PM
Is the results going to out soon?

briankstan
2010.07.05, 03:25 PM
I'll be posting results tonight for the BTE # 4

kromie101
2010.07.05, 05:20 PM
can't wait:D.

miketre
2010.07.05, 08:18 PM
Thanks Brian!

Kromie- lol :D

kromie101
2010.07.05, 09:31 PM
come on come on:D:). brian, take your time but hurry.hehe.

briankstan
2010.07.05, 10:30 PM
come on come on:D:). brian, take your time but hurry.hehe.

Times for the BTE # 4 are posted on the HFAY Site. you can see them here

HFAY Lage Track Event # 4 (http://hfay.tinyrc.com/HFAYLargeTrackEvent/LargeTrackEvent4/tabid/202/Default.aspx)

Congratulations to Mike Keely for the win in both Stock and Open Classes and to Ed for the win in F1 (followed closely by the entire Mini-AZ club :) )

Mike Keely
2010.07.05, 10:38 PM
Thanks

Any thoughts for May's posting?

miketre
2010.07.05, 11:03 PM
I'm elated to finish 3rd! :D
I certainly didn't expect that!

Here's a video of our 3rd mod run (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU-JwRQ4Z3U).
The standing was already settled in our first 2 runs, so this was only an opportunity to better our times.
These are 87 lappers, and the fastest time i think was a 6.6+.

anyone else got vids?

Arahawak
2010.07.05, 11:53 PM
Nice!! I am 12th.. Will try to do better next time.

hrdrvr
2010.07.06, 07:13 AM
Keely throwin' down the gauntlet with 90 laps!! :eek: Great runs Mike!! I had a pretty flawless run in stock, until I hit Collins pan car (he was facing the wrong way) and got flipped. I turned around and ran the same car in mod and only hit the wall once. I guess I need to get faster :D

Also, I must say, it is awesome to see so many people so close! Well, so close on the times, and so far away on the map. HFAY has really become an international event! Im with kromie, we NEED to do this more often!

Congrats to every one who ran! And a big congrats to the Mike and Ed for the wins!

kromie101
2010.07.06, 08:01 AM
awesome run mike:D. i thought i had it nailed in stock but you smoked me by a lap. i had what i thought was a perfect run but just needed to get a couple of smokin fast laps to help. i need to charge the batts a little hotter:D.

the car i ran was a 98mm mclearn,the little one.

mod i ran a 102mm set up with a allwheel motor,car was pushy but did ok.
i did do a 5.8 with my mod pan but that was practice.

congrates to everyone, my little guy did good for 12 years old and got 14th,good job son:).

need to do the big track layout more often,it's real cool:cool:. thanks again for doing this.

kromie101
2010.07.06, 08:12 AM
miketre, are you azmiS? dude, did you see how close we were in mod?thats to cool:D.
i do wish for mod you had to run a true mod motor,just my opinion.i guess i should have ran my stock again:D.

singapore in the house:cool:.thats a strong club finish.thats cool to see all the peeps around the map.

QuantumRC
2010.07.06, 09:42 AM
miketre, are you azmiS? dude, did you see how close we were in mod?thats to cool:D.
i do wish for mod you had to run a true mod motor,just my opinion.i guess i should have ran my stock again:D.

singapore in the house:cool:.thats a strong club finish.thats cool to see all the peeps around the map.

Yupz, that's him. He's currently the man to beat in Mini Z here in Singapore.:D

miketre
2010.07.06, 10:18 AM
Kromie - yeah that's me. :) we're quite close indeed! I don't think I could have wheeled a hotter motor though.
Your stock time was better than your mod. was it a case of 102mm being too long and pushy? I don't think it'll be that close if you did ran your stock car for mod :D

Quantum, thanks. but you know that's not entirely true :D

Mike - Congrats on your emphatic win. 2-3 laps margin is really something. :cool:

Arahawak
2010.07.06, 10:40 AM
Need to practise more liaoz.. wah miketre you ready for the next race??

As Quantum mentioned, you are the man to beat. You are the leader in their race series right?

imxlr8ed
2010.07.06, 01:25 PM
I won an F1 race?... how the heck did that happen? :confused:

More of you fast guys need to buy F1s... we can't let this happen again!

Thanks to all for racing with us!

kromie101
2010.07.06, 08:26 PM
miketre,my mod car was set up for pn regional layout. it was just really pushy.i practiced with it for one pack and then ran it in the 10 min run.it felt fast but i needed a softer front tire. i should have ran my pan,that felt awesome:D. it's all good,still had fun. hope we can do a big track layout soon.:)

ACT
2010.07.06, 09:26 PM
Our club locally can accommodate a max of 17 tiles on the long straight and 9on the side.

Can we have more of the Large track event if HFAY allows.

This is the first time we have taken part in such event and we are quite shock on the results.

This is really good fun.

More of this please HFAY..........

Regards

Mike Keely
2010.07.06, 09:44 PM
The big track events are only twice a year. All of the other monthly tracks are designed using only two wide "L" tracks. There may be other clubs that only have two wide "L" tracks and then they would not be able to run in a event if it had more track. On the BTE's we can not hold them where we usually race so we have to bring everything to my work were we have more space to have those races. The garage that we run in can handle the same size track as you said but we have to think of all of the other clubs out around the world.:)

Mike Keely
2010.07.06, 09:49 PM
Any plans on posting the results from race 9 &10 any time soon. It was ran a month before the BTE #4.

chad508
2010.07.06, 09:55 PM
i know there was some talk last year of having more bte, but i believe it had something to do with the race director not having enough time for both events going at one time. maybe now with m2k helping out we can get more bte.

briankstan
2010.07.07, 07:21 AM
Any plans on posting the results from race 9 &10 any time soon. It was ran a month before the BTE #4.

I know Matt was working on them. I'll contact him and see how things are coming along. We were having some PC, Mac compatibility issues when adding the data to the website.

kromie101
2010.07.07, 08:20 AM
maybe we can take a vote on the big track layout.if there are only 3 or 4 clubs that we get to run against thats still fun for me. for the clubs that can only do it twice a year can jump in when they want. just an idea.

arch2b
2010.07.07, 08:19 PM
There are existing threads pn suggestions for more big track events and or a 3 wide l series. I suggest breathing new life into those as well;)

ACT
2010.07.07, 09:35 PM
Atomic Collective is good to go.

We are keen.

:)

hrdrvr
2010.07.08, 07:32 AM
The discussion for the BTE or 3 Wide L series was in the BTE#2 event thread. I don't know if discussion of it there is any mroe appropriate then here, so I guess we should post a new thread.

Here is the link to the last page of the other event thread, so you can get caught up on what was discussed a year ago.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31685&page=6

To the Atomic Collective guy's - You guys seem most keen to jumping onto a BTE series, and your track room holds similar sized layouts to ours (19x9 flat). Also, y'all groups was very tight with our group in both classes. If you guys want to post a pic of your next layout, I'd love to put it down and compare times :D I'd ratyher see us do something within HFAY, but if it's just club on club action, it'll still be fun!

mk2kompressor
2010.07.08, 10:18 AM
a 3L series is something id like to see too, once the stuff has been sorted out from s9 it will be all systems go;)

maybe work out some 3L tracks for a set of time trials to start with?

ACT
2010.07.08, 12:24 PM
HAFY is the main organiser for all the event. How do we proceed from here if we are keen to do more of the BTE?

I do understand that it really takes alot of time to design the track and have the timings posted.

Can we all share the load i.e each club to come up with one design for each month.

Different clubs to do posting?

Singapore is willing help in any way.

By the way, we can only do a max of 17 x 9.

chad508
2010.07.08, 12:34 PM
i would help out and even head up a bte if needed.

briankstan
2010.07.08, 01:03 PM
Iím sure that we can accommodate these requests. Here is what we can do. I have lots of tracks that are designed using 3 wide L kits.

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=149;u=1

We can select them or design some new ones adding the wide turn kits in. This is what I can see us doing on the onset.

We can setup larger tracks as a time trial track. Times based on a 50 lap run. Run it anytime you want to try and move to the top. (solo runs).

Big track events: We could do them every other month, and leave them open for 3 month to maximize participation. We could also allow re-runs to try and get your best runs.

Things we would need to accomplish this:

1: times submitted in the correct format
2: only 1 set of times submitted at the deadline containing all the fastest runs by your club ( we donít want to have to sort them out by driver).  This would need to happen if we allow the tracks to be run for overall best time.

Any other ideas?? Letís throw them out there for discussion.

hrdrvr
2010.07.08, 01:58 PM
^ I think it is awesome that the discussion is going this far!

I like all of your layouts B! Most of them have less than four 90* turns in them, so it would be easy to place the wide radius turns in those locations. Some of the ones that have more 90s would take some deliberation for where to put the wide turns, but it shouldnt be too hard to figure out. Id be willing to convert them to ACadd files and modifiy them to show the wide radius kits, but I don't know if that format will actually help. If there is a program that uses your format, Id be happy to use it and make the changes for you.

If we do time trials can we make it over a 5 minute period instead of per 50 laps? While I totally understand why it was originally set up like it was, this is a tad different. Instead of 20 races a year, you are talking about 4. If we made it where the time trials were per 5minutes, then peple could run their regular race programs on the layouts and turn in their best runs. If some on wants to run alone, they just turn what they can in 5.

No minimum limit per race, and making cherry picking the results legal would both simplify the process, as long as people are respectable with their submittals (not sending in every 5 minute run they do).

Personally, I'd like to see 3 wide layouts get run every month (like two 5 race seasons a year), but 4 a year (every 3 months) will be twice as good as two (what we've got now). :D

If it comes to a 4 race year, it would be cool to have the layout available for the whole three months. It would sllow the clubs to be flexible around other events, and alos allow some people who don't get to show up every week to participate.

Either way, these are just thoughts and opinions. Ive got a lot of 'em, and I ain't afraid to share :D

briankstan
2010.07.08, 02:05 PM
they are already in cad format, that is what I used to create them in :)

hrdrvr
2010.07.08, 02:14 PM
^ Could you send me one of your templates? It's got to be nearly the same as mine, but I made mine a more printer friendly color :D Ill PM your my email if you don't have it anymore. Just a drawing file with the blocks in it should work perfect.....

briankstan
2010.07.08, 02:29 PM
^ Could you send me one of your templates? It's got to be nearly the same as mine, but I made mine a more printer friendly color :D Ill PM your my email if you don't have it anymore. Just a drawing file with the blocks in it should work perfect.....

I'll send it to you. Send me your email just in case ... :)

What I did is create the blocks so I can move them quickly around and place as needed, I didn't bother with the connecting pieces. I wrote a lisp to turn on and off the layers so when I use it I end up with a printable pictures and a display picture. :) I have all the track pieces for the 50cm tracks.

hrdrvr
2010.07.08, 02:44 PM
^ Awesome! Im sending a PM now. I made blocks too, for everything except the 45* kit. I've got it drawn in a couple of different configurations, and just copy it to where I need it in the layout. I should take the time to do them, but they are so many small pieces to make up one section of track.

I usually have typical sections of track drawn together (a group of blocks configured into corners, straights, etc.) to move around as well. I take the same approach that I do when making a real layout...leave as much in tact from the last one as possible, lol.

mk2kompressor
2010.07.08, 03:06 PM
great work, 5min runs are cool with me as long as we dont get hammered with updates every day:)
maybe set dates for the results to be submitted and stick to them?

hrdrvr
2010.07.08, 03:15 PM
^ That's a cool idea. I'd hate for some one to run the layout every week, and submit results to you every time. I think most MiniZ racers are reponsible enough to hold onto the results until they are changing to a different layout. We could still have a general place (a thread is all it would take) to post them if people wanted to see the progression of other clubs, and share their own progression.

As far as this goes, it may be cool to just do it as time trials. Then people (clubs) could pick whatever track they wanted to and run it for a few weeks. If people wanted to communicate and run the same ones at the same time, so be it. It would be the best of both worlds, without adding a series for any one to tally points for.

briankstan
2010.07.08, 03:24 PM
I think we will want to stick with only 1 points series.

I think the best way to do this would be to define several tracks, and then they can be run at any time and sorted. The way I have the time trials setup it's pretty quick to update and without having to compile points it's a lot less time consuming.

I think we would want to either setup a track and time table to run (like the current BTE races) or we let the clubs pick and choose what track (from a list) and when they want to run it. and have the times submitted the beginning of the month.

kromie101
2010.07.08, 04:17 PM
me personaly i like to see the whole run on paper.i like to see how consistant they are and do some comparing:D. i like looking at lap times from my run and others. i did'nt think it was hard to post them?

i like the 5 min runs.even if its one guy so be it. i think if we have been running a layout for a month and my best run was the first week,i feel i should be able to turn that in. just like if somebody gets a good run on the 3rd week.just my opinion.

i am glad this is happening:D.i say pic a track and lets run.turn it in at the end of the month.i don't care if someone see's my time before the deadline.:)our club is small but running against other clubs makes it feel like a big club. now can we all hug and lets race:D:D:D. i'm pump,cya eric

Mike Keely
2010.07.08, 09:21 PM
My vote is to keep it the way it has been in the past. It is a big deal for us to run the BTE's. We have to pack everything up and take it to my work. Don't get me wrong, everyone has a good time but it is not just setting up a new layout and running the race. It ends up being one long race day for us. If you all end up doing more don't let us stop you but our normal space can not fit the BTE's in it. The BTE's are also one of the few times that we get to join two clubs to get together and run. Just my 2 cents.

kromie101
2010.07.08, 09:53 PM
i wanna start something weekly if possible. we have 5 guys that race weekly. if we get 5 to 10 more guys that wanna do this.that makes it that much more challenging every week. i just think it makes racing more fun:).

Arahawak
2010.07.09, 01:25 AM
I am with Mike. Keep it as it is for the points series. While I think can also incoporate BTEs to say once a quarter or once every 2 months.

So we have the regular HFAY and the BTE HFAY series. The pros I see is that it can cater to big and smaller clubs. I think there are a few clubs here who willing to chip in to help tally the times.

Ultimately, what we want is good sporting competition between clubs, both big and small across the globe. For sure, if the main man of HFAY agrees to it.

My 2 cents and looking forward to it.

arch2b
2010.07.09, 06:15 AM
I think we could do quarterly bte's. Your participation numbers are going to fluctuate wildly so they won't be necessarily as big when you have more of them. I highly doubt you will get everyone for all 4 simply due to club schedules, vacations, work, etc. I'm for it though. I wouldn't mind more opportunities.
I see we have not taken this to more appropriate threads.

briankstan
2010.07.09, 07:25 AM

Arch, if yo want to split this out it would be appreciated. :)

hrdrvr
2010.07.09, 07:43 AM
My vote is to keep it the way it has been in the past. It is a big deal for us to run the BTE's. We have to pack everything up and take it to my work. Don't get me wrong, everyone has a good time but it is not just setting up a new layout and running the race. It ends up being one long race day for us. If you all end up doing more don't let us stop you but our normal space can not fit the BTE's in it. The BTE's are also one of the few times that we get to join two clubs to get together and run. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think this will overtake the regular HFAY series, and that's not what I am pushing for. I would just like to have an outlet to compete against you guys (or different willing participants) more often. Our track room can easily handle a 20x9 layout, and with our elevations I can go to something the equivalent of a 12x21. The BTE layouts are about as small as we would like to go, but we would like to do it as often as possible if it means racing with folks across the globe. I know a lot of clubs don't have the space to regularly set up BTE sized tracks, but the 2L series will still be there to accommodate them. The 2L series will still be the bread and butter of HFAY.

While I think can also incoporate BTEs to say once a quarter or once every 2 months.

Ultimately, what we want is good sporting competition between clubs, both big and small across the globe. For sure, if the main man of HFAY agrees to it.

Once a quarter would be awesome IMO. It would give clubs that have smaller space a couple of months to arrange the space and time. It would give clubs that host other events time to schedule these races around them, and the clubs that dedicate to the BTE would have lots of time to get in good runs.

Every other month would give even more opportunities for people to compete against each other. I don't think it would effect the amount of participants too much, but it does become some what of a weight and balance thing. I would rather compete against 30 people 6 times a year than 40 four times, or 50 twice. I guess others may not agree.

I definitely don't think this will stray away from the philosophy of HFAY. It is all about running with people from all over the globe. All this will do is open more opportunities to do so.

I think we could do quarterly bte's. Your participation numbers are going to fluctuate wildly so they won't be necessarily as big when you have more of them. I highly doubt you will get everyone for all 4 simply due to club schedules, vacations, work, etc. I'm for it though. I wouldn't mind more opportunities.

Giving three months to run each of the four events seems like it would easily be worked in to typical club race schedules. There may be some sacrifice and overlap, but it could easily be worked in. It all comes down to whether people want to do it or not. If they want to, they will find a way. If they don't, they will find a reason not to. We used to do some sort of points series every winter. It's usually revolved around a specialty 70t class, like LM or pan. These cars would fit into the HFAY stock class, and could be submitted as such without straying from our regular series at all. We would just have to run it on the layout provided, and that's all. I know you guys do a lot of specialty class races. Any of them would fit into the rules of HFAY, as the HFAY rules are very liberal. Just run it on the preset layout and turn in your times, or don't. There won't be points riding on the line like there is in the series, so if you miss one, it's nothing lost except a ranking.

It's already in two different places and two different time frames with two different sets of people participating :D It would probably take a mod pooling it together in a common thread ;)

EDIT: I see Brian commented while I was typing my mini-novel :D

imxlr8ed
2010.07.09, 09:46 AM
I was typing my mini-novel :D

You?.... nahhhh...

You and EMU should get together and write the MiniZ bible, I'm sure it would be longer than the actual one. ;)

I think my crew would be up for a quarterly HFAY BTE... kinda hard to convince them to show for a 2WL race. I know Larry would be there, Gasman would be back and I also have 2 or 3 other drivers waiting in the shadows to drive the Zs. I have drivers willing to race, but not so much for the travel anymore.

I'll be lurking to see if anything comes of this for sure... :cool:

ACT
2010.07.09, 12:44 PM
Can I suggest polling.

HFAY BTE Weekly
HFAY BTE once every two weeks
HFAY BTE once every month
HFAY BTE once every two months
HFAY BTE once every quarter

And clubs intersted to do so.

With numbers, Brian can decide.....

Lets bring the mini Z to the next level.

Regards

arch2b
2010.07.09, 01:06 PM
polling is very inaccurate in general for this purpose. you will find you will get many time more responses from those that are not as committed to doing this vs. those whom you are targeting which skew the results. public polls are just that, public. to top it off, a vast number of club members simply are not active participants on the forum. trust me, in the past we used to vote on everything hfay and rarely did we ever get a majority of the club judges.

if someone else doesn't clean up this thread by tomorrow, i'll take a crack at it. this one was about bte #4 and it's results. ;)

i know it's a hassle, but check out the history of posts in the hfay area. you will find much of this has been addressed in the past.