PDA

View Full Version : Tire prep or maintenance?

ChiMiniRc
2010.05.30, 11:45 AM
When running on RCP tracks, should the tires be cleaned or prepped for better performance?

I've heard rubbing alcohol could be used. I'm looking for best possible grip but don't want to use any traction compound or anything that could cause undue wear on the RCP tracks.

Sometimes it appears the tires could use a wipe down to increase traction.

EMU
2010.05.30, 12:07 PM
Some people use alcohol based motor spray, others use WD40 (which I dont feel is healthy for the track), others use Simple Green... A little cleaning between heats definitely helps. Especially when the tires build up a little film on them and glaze over. I have used sandpaper as well with good results to scuff up the surface and bring up traction on harder front tires.

leonen
2010.06.03, 10:23 AM
Windows cleaner is really helpful. It will soften your tires, but.... obviously they'll last less too.

Besides, it doesn't affect your track because it evaporates quickly.

JuniorWKR
2010.06.03, 10:24 AM
lighter fluid works very well....

ChiMiniRc
2010.06.03, 10:29 AM
I do want to keep odor at the track down and no harm to the rcp tracks. I read 70% alcohol would work. Windex sounds like it would be good as the scent is plesent.

What type of duration should I expect from certain tires? Like 20-30 degree rear tires. 8 hours of total running?

I'm sure somewhere in there, there is a cut off. First 15 minutes, break in. Next 4 hours are consistant, after that performance continues to diminish. These are totally made up numbers of course but wondering if others have estimates to wear duration on the different tires they use.

JuniorWKR
2010.06.03, 10:30 AM
depends on how demanding the layout is... stock or mod... and ur driving style..

if the layout has a huge sweeper you can kiss ur tires good bye...

ChiMiniRc
2010.06.03, 10:36 AM
depends on how demanding the layout is... stock or mod... and ur driving style..

if the layout has a huge sweeper you can kiss ur tires good bye...

Can you offer a personal example? Say HFAY layout #x, stock, driving style?

JuniorWKR
2010.06.03, 10:47 AM
shorter tighter layouts are usually less demanding on the tires.. large high speed flowing layouts like the pn layout this year are very demanding on ur tires.. stock wont eat up the tires as fast as modd due to the speed and power of the mod motors... and ur driving style whether it be off power or on power that you prefer will dictate your tire wear as well... on power driving style will eat up the tires alot faster then someone with a smooth off power driving style...