PDA

View Full Version : What to upgrade on an 03

JDV28
2010.06.01, 10:17 PM
I just started racing about a month ago. I started with an mr015, but I just sold that and bought an 03. I ordered new kingpins and bearings from reflexracing but I want to know what other upgrades I should get for this. I have about $20 to spend on upgrades, which I know isnt much, but most of this stuff is pretty cheap.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Action B
2010.06.01, 10:57 PM
I just started racing about a month ago. I started with an mr015, but I just sold that and bought an 03. I ordered new kingpins and bearings from reflexracing but I want to know what other upgrades I should get for this. I have about $20 to spend on upgrades, which I know isnt much, but most of this stuff is pretty cheap.
Thanks for any suggestions.

1.Tires
2.Carbon T-plates

EMU
2010.06.01, 11:03 PM
Tires are always the most important thing. If you cant grip the track, then your going nowhere fast.

I would suggest a disc damper its in the price bracket, and makes a big difference. After that I would get t-plates, motormount, and diff. I have won a bunch of races with the stock front end, so I would focus on the rear first, then work your way to the front when you have the funds.

Where do you race? You may be able to get some used goods for a reduced price. Ask around if people are selling any spare stuff that you could use. A lot of people upgrade to get the latest tech, but that doesnt mean that older tech isnt useful.

Action B
2010.06.01, 11:58 PM
Tires are always the most important thing. If you cant grip the track, then your going nowhere fast.

I would suggest a disc damper its in the price bracket, and makes a big difference. After that I would get t-plates, motormount, and diff. I have won a bunch of races with the stock front end, so I would focus on the rear first, then work your way to the front when you have the funds.

Where do you race? You may be able to get some used goods for a reduced price. Ask around if people are selling any spare stuff that you could use. A lot of people upgrade to get the latest tech, but that doesnt mean that older tech isnt useful.

Yeah, disc damper would be number 3 on my list.

Great advice here from an experienced racer. I know I have a rear pod I would like to get rid of since I upgraded my girlfriends car to the newest PN unit.

JDV28
2010.06.02, 01:04 PM
Alright, I can get tires, but can someone link me to the disc damper or t plates I would need?

J-Milz
2010.06.02, 02:26 PM
I like both Atomic and PN for the rear pod and disc dampner. You can't go wrong with either choice. You should see what the A main guys are using at your local track and ask questions. I race with EMU here in NYC and I basically copied his set up when I started out (350z MR 015 with the dots on the body) and made adjustments based on my driving style.

Action B
2010.06.02, 02:30 PM
Alright, I can get tires, but can someone link me to the disc damper or t plates I would need?

http://www.reflexracing.net/proddetail.asp?prod=MR3001 PN 3
http://www.reflexracing.net/proddetail.asp?prod=MR3002 PN 4
http://www.reflexracing.net/proddetail.asp?prod=MR3003 PN 5
http://www.reflexracing.net/proddetail.asp?prod=MR3004 PN 6

6 is the hardest plate.

EMU
2010.06.02, 04:16 PM
For a Disc Damper, the PN ML damper system is very veratile, however I prefer the feel of the ATM Ti damper plates. I feel that the surface is very consistant. The most versatile and most cost effective DDS is the 3Racing system. It can be used on every wheelbase and motor configuration possible on a Mini-Z, and is one of the cheapest systems.

We know nothing about your car, so we cannot recommend the best options, so please do share which body and wheelbase you are using so that our opinions can have a base to start off of.

When working on a Mini-Z, dont worry so much about spending money to get the new parts, worry about the small things in the setup. Try to reduce slop with shims, and make sure things dont bind. Those are the two biggest issues with these cars. A well setup stock car can beat a car with all the hop ups if they arent installed with care and attention to details.

Tjay
2010.06.02, 04:48 PM
Eugene is right:
A well setup stock car can beat a car with all the hop ups if they arent installed with care and attention to details.

The most common problems I see with new drivers cars are:

-tires rubbing on the body
-chassis/body scraping on the track

but to answer you question. What can you get for $20? Well, you should PM tjay because he has 'ish load of stuff barely used... trust me. ;) :D

JDV28
2010.06.02, 05:07 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. I just bought tires and #4 tplates.
as far as the damper plates is http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3820 what im looking for?
@tjay i had the problem with tires rubbing the body on mr015

Tjay
2010.06.02, 05:13 PM
Complete DDS kit. (http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_129_143&products_id=1256)

JDV28
2010.06.02, 05:25 PM
Thz Tjay, I'll try to scrape up some more money within the next week or so to get that kit
are tires, kingpins, bearings, and tplate a good start?

EMU
2010.06.02, 07:13 PM
I would send Tjay a private message as he stated above. You can get some slightly used stuff for a greatly reduced price, as he said... Which means you would have parts that were on a World Champions car...

JDV28
2010.06.02, 07:15 PM
I will do that the second i get some money. As i said, i spent my last 20 on the tires and tplate

ChiMiniRc
2010.06.13, 11:26 PM
Complete DDS kit. (http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_129_143&products_id=1256)

JDV28, I got what you need. :)
The MR2061b, brand new, yours for $16 at the next race. Or you can try to swing by sooner to get the car setup and practice.

ChiMiniRc
2010.06.13, 11:43 PM
You should see what the A main guys are using at your local track and ask questions.

JDV28 *is* an A-main guy at our club. :) We are a VERY new club so we are all learning. The club provides all the cars but JDV28 is gunning for top spot in the next HFAY series with his personal mr-03.

I think the one thing that I need to stress and we've all learning from racing ANY R/C car, practice practice practice. JDV28 was leading the pack in a completly stock mr-02 Ford GT with the only hop up being tires. I also understand wanting to tweak and tinker. Since our club is new I turn to the forums for a little help for JDV28. I've attached some pics of parts in my fleet I'm not sure work well for the MR-03. Comments welcome so we can all learn.

Pics are below but I do have the PN DDS that was mentined earlier (top left of pic #1).

Kyosho Graphite friction damper, worth a damn?

Ceramic Ball Diff, I think this comes with a 64pitch gear though.

Will the PN Motor mount in the middle of PIC #1 work on an mr-03?

That Kyosho MR-02LM Ball Diff. I though LM cars where just longer wheel base. Is there a reason this ball diff won't work on a regular MR-02 or MR-03?
- For that matter, I have a couple of Kyosho F1 Ball diffs. Are those interchangeable?

There are some other PN alloy steering parts. No idea if they work with MR-03

There are some PN screw and shim kits in there. So if you need shims, it looks like I have some.

Is the Oil shock needed for the DDS systems? Would the alloy steering knuckles work on MR-03?

Then a whole bunch of various offset PN wheels. I'm pretty sure these work with MR-03. Just need to match offset with the body right?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/Greg_Zielinski/sell1.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/Greg_Zielinski/sell2.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/Greg_Zielinski/sell3.jpg

EMU
2010.06.14, 01:09 AM
Almost all of the front end/steering parts on the MR02 cannot be used for the MR03. The exception is using the Reflex Racing long kingpin front end, where you can use the MR02 springs above the arms.

You can use all MR01/02 motormounts on the MR03. The difference in compatability is where the t-plate mounts to the MR03 chassis. MR03 t-plates are different than MR02, but the motormount side is the same, so all existing mounts can be used. The same is true for the rear suspension setups. The PCB cover has the same damper mounting posts in the same positions. So rear setup is essentially the same besides the t-plate.

LM differentials differ from standard MR02/03 differentials by shaft length. If you want to use it on a standard side pod, you could shim it out, or change the shaft for a standard length. I would change the shaft, and get a light Ti shaft.

F1 differential parts are not compatable for the racers. The shaft length is longer than the LM, and there is offset built into the right wheel side of the diff.

I have had good results with the Kyosho carbon DDS, although I used delrin discs. I mismatch many different parts to complete many of my setups. This is for an RM mount, but can be used for a 98mm setup with a normal DDS post.

I usually dont use an oil shock if I am using a DDS. I will use a top shock if I need the extra fore/aft spring (less squat or sag on the rear end).

Hope the info helps...

JDV28
2010.06.14, 01:30 AM
Thanks to both of you! Greg, You and Gary will keep me in 3rd place for the next hfay series haha. I think I will take that DDS, though. What else would be something for me to look into buying? I am pretty good at driving these, but I want learn more about what every part does/effects so I can gain a better understanding of these cars.

Skv012a
2010.06.14, 01:35 AM
Hate me all you want, but I'll never stop stressing using our great community to your advantage- buy used parts save those that really do wear and tear (tires, bodies depending on shape). I know for a fact you're not made of cash and plenty of parts like ball diffs and various mounts can become decent dents for an unemployed pocket.

JDV28
2010.06.14, 02:07 AM
Yeayea, it is a great site. Very helpful people here. skvora however, just sends me links to expensive parts ;) the $40 MM mount he talks about is a good example. But out of my price range. My current plan- pay greg for this body, then get that DDS in a week or so.

ChiMiniRc
2010.06.14, 08:17 AM
Thanks to both of you! Greg, You and Gary will keep me in 3rd place for the next hfay series haha. I think I will take that DDS, though. What else would be something for me to look into buying? I am pretty good at driving these, but I want learn more about what every part does/effects so I can gain a better understanding of these cars.

Well, we had a new person show up after you left. He is also a veteran R/C racer and was very interested in future events. So now you may be in 4th for a while. :) Understand though, I'm grabbing nearly any car in the fleet and so is Gary. Some are bone stock except tires, others are modded beyond belief. Practice will play a very important role.

Hopefully you can show up early for a future event and we can both drive your car around the track to post lap times.

JDV28
2010.06.14, 11:58 AM
I have been early to every one that I showed up to haha
I need to practice with this single car. That ford gt was awesome, though.
I got used to the tight handling on my 03 already and like it alot.
I see what you are saying about you and Gary. Basically that you guys can pick up any
car and beat me in a race ;)

ChiMiniRc
2010.06.14, 12:04 PM
I have been early to every one that I showed up to haha
I need to practice with this single car. That ford gt was awesome, though.
I got used to the tight handling on my 03 already and like it alot.
I see what you are saying about you and Gary. Basically that you guys can pick up any
car and beat me in a race ;)

I was trying to say it the nicest way possible :). I'm just saying, that these mods will help and modding is fun. But the BIGGEST improvement will be with practice. Don't get me wrong, the correctly setup car will help. But practice is cheap.

I do want to try your MR-03 out though. Just to see what kind of lap times I can post. That way we can find out how many "free" seconds we can shave off your lap times with an investment in practice.

JDV28
2010.06.14, 12:16 PM
Hahaha I know, I like modifying stuff alot though. Whether its computers, phones, or these cars. I think its fun to have a unique car. But yes, I understand none of these will help improve my driving as much as practice.

Skv012a
2010.06.14, 12:30 PM
Hahaha I know, I like modifying stuff alot though. Whether its computers, phones, or these cars...

Lol boy, then get spending!

JDV28
2010.06.14, 12:31 PM
I have been. Hence the reason I dont have much money left for car modifications lol

JDV28
2010.06.14, 05:32 PM
So will this (http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1256&osCsid=717a445ea80c41a2b505e25753c8d4ca) work on my stock kyosho RM mount?

Skv012a
2010.06.14, 05:46 PM
So will this (http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1256&osCsid=717a445ea80c41a2b505e25753c8d4ca) work on my stock kyosho RM mount?

No. Only things that will work w/ stock mounts are Kyosho DDS, 3racing, and others with an atomic triangle adapter and plenty of ghetto shimming and adjusting.

JDV28
2010.06.14, 05:54 PM
Thanks, and as I said before I would like to avoid all bootleg rigging on this car lol
Lucky for me though, Greg has a kyosho dds

EMU
2010.06.14, 06:05 PM
I love bootleg rigging. Most of the time, you have to do it even with the right parts. Just to get the car to work exactly how you like. Attention to detail, and making tiny adjustments go a long way with these little cars.

JDV28
2010.06.27, 07:04 PM
Edit: Nevermind, Skvora was kind enough to explain it to me

N2Deep
2010.07.16, 08:07 AM
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about getting into the mini-z racing again. But was thinking if it would be cheaper for me to buy a totally new kit...and then upgrade as needed...or if it would be cheaper to just...buy upgraded parts to build a nice machine. I guess the biggest cost would be the pcb for the MR-03 and a nice aftermarket chassis. Was also wandering if they allow Kyosho chassis base MR-03 to race up against...say the reflex, R28 etc. Anyone? comments and ideas are needed.

delrosa81
2011.06.11, 01:04 PM
Hahaha I know, I like modifying stuff alot though. Whether its computers, phones, or these cars. I think its fun to have a unique car. But yes, I understand none of these will help improve my driving as much as practice.

I know this post was almost a yr ago but I just joined into the mini z hobby. I love modding too! :)