PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for names of skill levels.

ChiMiniRc
2010.06.02, 10:23 AM
I'm looking for names to classify our racers. One of the reasons is so you can earn your way to the fastest cars in the fleet. Once the club gets big enough, I could see races running like they do with real cars in GT classes. Where the slower class cars and higher end cars race at the same time but in seperate classes.

From the crowds we've been getting I see it this way.

4 - Just trying it out, hitting walls a lot (Beginner?)
3- Able to keep a clean line but pace is still off (Rookie)
2- Clean lines, good pace (Need a name)
1- Serious skill. Years of driving/racing R/C cars (Need a name) PRO would work but it feels a little generic.

Perhaps stick with the GT theme and go GT4, GT3, GT2, and GT1?

Action B
2010.06.02, 11:55 AM
2. Sportsman
1. Expert

ChiMiniRc
2010.06.02, 12:18 PM
I like the idea of leveling up though. Though I like the sportsman name.

So with 4 levels,
Beginner, Rookie, Sportman, Expert perhaps?

You know, we live in an everquest/World of Warcraft world now. It's all about leveling :)

Action B
2010.06.02, 01:31 PM
I like the idea of leveling up though. Though I like the sportsman name.

So with 4 levels,
Beginner, Rookie, Sportman, Expert perhaps?

You know, we live in an everquest/World of Warcraft world now. It's all about leveling :)

I wasn't suggesting you have 2 levels. I was just giving you names for the levels you were having trouble with.

ChiMiniRc
2010.06.02, 01:43 PM
I wasn't suggesting you have 2 levels. I was just giving you names for the levels you were having trouble with.

I like :)

Beginner, Rookie, Sportsman, Pro

J-Milz
2010.06.02, 01:43 PM
At my local track (Action Rc mini speedway in Staten Island, NY) we have a similiar thing going. We call it stock class which is basically any non modified motor, wide body 03, AWD configuration, or 02 chassis with MR 02 specific bodies. We also run a narrow class that is specific to the MR015 or, M03, AWD narrow body configuration. The only motor allowed in this class is the PN 70t motor and narrow MR015 or AWD specific bodies. You can also slow them down by only allowing narrow front type street radial tire at all four corners. It would be kinda cool to run them together so the faster cars would have to deal with the slower lap traffic like the real GT events.

ChiMiniRc
2010.06.02, 01:51 PM
At my local track (Action Rc mini speedway in Staten Island, NY) we have a similiar thing going. We call it stock class which is basically any non modified motor, wide body 03, AWD configuration, or 02 chassis with MR 02 specific bodies. We also run a narrow class that is specific to the MR015 or, M03, AWD narrow body configuration. The only motor allowed in this class is the PN 70t motor and narrow MR015 or AWD specific bodies. You can also slow them down by only allowing narrow front type street radial tire at all four corners. It would be kinda cool to run them together so the faster cars would have to deal with the slower lap traffic like the real GT events.

Yeah, at first I was worried that having mixed skills on the track at the same time would ruin the experience. I've found that it makes for more interesting racing. There is an occasional frustration from a completely erratic driver but otherwise, lap traffic provides a nice mix-up. As far as the complete beginner on the course, the blue shell exists in Mario Kart for a reason. :)

JuniorWKR
2010.06.02, 02:43 PM
i would just keep it a,b,c,d main aon so forth as to give drivers a level to shoot for that is consistent throughout all form of miniz events and it doesnt create a label for the beginner drivers...

ChiMiniRc
2010.06.02, 02:50 PM
i would just keep it a,b,c,d main aon so forth as to give drivers a level to shoot for that is consistent throughout all form of miniz events and it doesnt create a label for the beginner drivers...

Ok, here is the crazy part. I've been into R/C Vehicles for over 25 years. One reason I started was with a frustration in finding racing events.

To this day, I don't know how the whole A-Main, B-Main, "bump" thing works.
I saw this.
http://pnracing.us/pnwc2010/pnwc-2010-rules.htm

So the qualifiers determine what "main" you are in and lower mains like B and C have the winner advance to the A-main?
How does one decide where to draw the line "top 3, top4" etc?

JuniorWKR
2010.06.02, 02:57 PM
in our club races there are 7 racers per main, 8 when you include the bump up.... you will be placed in a main based on ur best qualifing run. each winner from each main is allowed to bump up to the next main if they wish.... they dont have to if they dont want to.

it is the most consistent form of racing and you can follow ur progress as a racer by contuniously attending races and trying to make your way up the rankings...

you can also follow where the fast tracks are... someone may be amain at there home track and maybe b or c somewhere else... or if your b main at a really fast track you might be amain attending a different club race night...

Tjay
2010.06.02, 03:03 PM
novice, sportsman, expert and pro. ;)

Dudemeister
2010.06.02, 03:28 PM
I like :)

Beginner, Rookie, Sportsman, Pro

How about:

Little League
Minor League Class A
Minor League Class AA
Minor League Class AAA
Major League

If they can have than in baseball, why can't we?

MantisMMA
2010.06.02, 03:40 PM
i think novice (people dont like being called beginner in general), Expert and pro. make everyone do the three A main wins to get to the next level. EVERYONE starts at beginner and in a few months things will equal out. even with everyone starting at beginner the A main will still be the normal fast guys so your not changing much at first. back in my younger days i was a Pro BMX'r and that how it was done (still is today). You have to win to graduate.

EMU
2010.06.02, 05:12 PM
novice, sportsman, expert and pro. ;)

I like these the best :)