PDA

View Full Version : radio setup?

Dylanmck46
2010.06.02, 03:01 PM
I have an MR03 and don't race anything other than Mini Z. The place I race seems pretty intense and the guys mostly use EX-10 Helios and high end Futaba's. I have a KT18 and am getting destroyed . . . partly because I'm new and not a good drive yet, but partly because I can't tweak much of anything. What's the best way to go? What all is needed in addition to the Radio itself? What's a module? Thanks,

Action B
2010.06.02, 03:30 PM
I have an MR03 and don't race anything other than Mini Z. The place I race seems pretty intense and the guys mostly use EX-10 Helios and high end Futaba's. I have a KT18 and am getting destroyed . . . partly because I'm new and not a good drive yet, but partly because I can't tweak much of anything. What's the best way to go? What all is needed in addition to the Radio itself? What's a module? Thanks,

This is the sort of thing I once asked. Because of that I will answer pretty completely.

The best way to go depends on several things. My radio setup has cost me $140 total but I purchased used transmitter and a new module. For a top end radio and module you could easily spend $500 bucks.

Some transmitters are modular. Common transmitters that are designed to work natively with Mini-Z ASF technology include the following:

KT-18 - What you have now.
EX-1 Mars - requires RF-901sm module
Ex-1 Mars R - requires RF-901sm module -
Ex-1 UR - requires RF-901sm module
EX-5 UR (ASF) - not sold in US
EX-10 Helios - requires RF-901sm module
Ex-10 Euros - requires RF-902sm module

ASF modules run around $75 bucks so it has an additional cost, however, modular transmitters allow for the usage of different types of frequencies. So you could also purchase an AM module for your AM Mini-Z or FM or even other non Mini-Z vehicles.

That being said I've been beat on numerous occasions with a good racer using the KT-18 even though I have a nicer transmitter.

doug01n
2010.06.02, 03:58 PM
I have a friend that have the EX-10 Helios, but he doesn't use the exponencial adjustments... just the trim and sub-trim.

He would drive the same with the Helios or a KT-18. As I'm not used to drive with exponencial settings, I could get used to, and enjoy the memories for different car setups. That's the main advantages I see on the EX1/10 over the KT-18: exponencial and different memories.

Tjay
2010.06.02, 04:23 PM
I have a KT18 and am getting destroyed . . . partly because I'm new and not a good drive yet, but partly because I can't tweak much of anything.

Cheap with no mod, I would go for EX-1 UR. $230 I think for the radio with module.

Laxracer
2010.06.02, 09:35 PM
I thought I would chime in.

As B said, you have options. I went through this myself recently, from a different angle. I have a m11 and i purchased an asf module, for it. I was never able to get it setup. So I ended up getting a helios. I won't say the price :) but you can find new ones still factory sealed for good prices.

But you bring up an interesting issue, that you're getting "destroyed by guys with high end radios" and as B said we have a guy driving the wheels off his car with a KT18. As my lax coach use to say, its not the wand its the magican. If i hadn't been invested in the M11 I would've gone with the kt-18. If I was in your boat, and i had the space for it. I would get my own, track and practice. Thats how you will beat your peers.

Practice is free :)

C

LED
2010.06.03, 09:46 AM
I think you shoul dstay with what you have for the moment.
Like you said, you are new. First you need to learn how to get around the track without hitting anything. As long as you cant drive a full race with a minimum of mistakes a new radio will not help you much.

I recently switched the KT18 for a X-5 UR after 1.5 years with the KT-18.
It took me this long to figure out how to tune my car, how to make it behave like I want it to and lower my mistakes to just a couple per race instead of one each lap.

Now I do feel the radio has helped me to get that last bit I needed to gain the upper hand on other drivers.

So my advice, stick with the KT-18 for now. Keep your eyes open for any good deals that may pass here in the for sale section. And once you feel that it is not because off you fault margin that you cant keep up then its time to change.

Good luck