PDA

View Full Version : basecoat screwup

WSR
2010.06.18, 09:58 AM
I am painting an f 430 with german grey TS Tamiya paint. I sprayed it in my basement and there was a ton of dust that started to build up. So like an idiot I decided to try and wipe the dust off with my latex gloves. It obviously smeared the paint. I let it dry a day and I wet sanded it a little bit with 600 grit and then 1000 grit. I didnt sand it enough because i put another light coat over it and i can still see the swipe marks under the paint. I assume I should wet sand it again before putting another coat on, but my question is what is the best way to wet sand the paint so that when i apply the next coat I wont see those mistakes? I will be using clear on the car. Please advise.

bermbuster
2010.06.18, 10:19 AM
I am painting an f 430 with german grey TS Tamiya paint. I sprayed it in my basement and there was a ton of dust that started to build up. So like an idiot I decided to try and wipe the dust off with my latex gloves. It obviously smeared the paint. I let it dry a day and I wet sanded it a little bit with 600 grit and then 1000 grit. I didnt sand it enough because i put another light coat over it and i can still see the swipe marks under the paint. I assume I should wet sand it again before putting another coat on, but my question is what is the best way to wet sand the paint so that when i apply the next coat I wont see those mistakes? I will be using clear on the car. Please advise.
Since you are still seeing the smudge line you arent removing enough paint.
Using steel wool or a fine scotch brite pad will let you remove the high spots of paint without digging into the surface of the plastic.
You can still use the sand paper but be careful not to apply to much pressure.
Also check the sandpaper for "loading" (sandpaper getting clogged w paint)
If it is loaded....change to a fresh pc.

WSR
2010.06.18, 10:39 AM
George as always you provide great insight. Thanks again man, Are you gonna be racing tonight?

bermbuster
2010.06.18, 11:23 AM
George as always you provide great insight. Thanks again man, Are you gonna be racing tonight?
ill be there and I think my son is coming out of mini z retirement....
torace with us again.

WSR
2010.06.18, 11:36 AM
ill be there and I think my son is coming out of mini z retirement....
torace with us again.

Great, so now I will have another person under 20 who will smoke me on RCP haha.:eek: If Frank can wheel on RCP like he can on dirt then im in trouble. See you later man.