PDA

View Full Version : Urethane Clearcoat and Tamiya TS paint

WSR
2010.06.19, 12:20 PM
I apologize if this question was already asked but when it comes to paint it seems like going to medical school would be easier than understanding which different paint combinations can go together haha.

Here is a little background before I ask my question.

I am painting my first mini z white body, a Ferrari F430. I am using German Grey Tamiya TS spray. I am going for the ultimate wet/shiny look and will use clearcoat to do this. When talking to guys at the hobby shop they told me to use automotive clear to get the best finish.

So I went to the guys at Gavin's Autobody Supply in Paterson NJ, and tried to see what I can find. Let me put a disclaimer here and just say that I am a total newbie to painting and I literally know nothing about the differences between acrylic's,enamels, and urethanes, but I am learning.

I brought the painted body with me but I didnt know at the time that TS sprays are synthetic Lacquer. The guys at Gavins told me if I want that super shiny wet look without wet sanding and polishing I should use Urethane clear. I bought this stuff for $20 in a rattle can called "U-Pol Clear #1"

Finally heres my question:

Can I use this urethane clear coat to clear Tamiya TS synthetic Lacquer without having a negative reaction to the basecoat? On the Tamiya site it says that "Tamiya Spray Paints are not affected by acrylic or enamel paints" What about the Urethane Clear that I got and is there a difference? Please help and again I am going for a super shiny finish but keep in mind I plan on racing the body so it has to be able to hold up against hits from other cars because I SUUUUUUUCK as a driver but I am getting better. At least thats what I keep telling myself.

As always I appreciate your wisdom and advice.

Faze
2010.06.19, 04:30 PM

Can I use this urethane clear coat to clear Tamiya TS synthetic Lacquer without having a negative reaction to the basecoat? On the Tamiya site it says that "Tamiya Spray Paints are not affected by acrylic or enamel paints" What about the Urethane Clear that I got and is there a difference? Please help and again I am going for a super shiny finish but keep in mind I plan on racing the body so it has to be able to hold up against hits from other cars because I SUUUUUUUCK as a driver but I am getting better. At least thats what I keep telling myself.

Just spray a test piece and there is your answer. Paint isn't gold, haha

WSR
2010.06.20, 09:59 PM
Just spray a test piece and there is your answer. Paint isn't gold, haha

Good point. I gave it a try on a junk piece i sprayed a while ago and there was no negative reaction. I just hope it holds up to the bashing.

nitrojunkie
2010.06.20, 10:18 PM
I just did a DB9R with Tamiya fine white primer as my foundation. I then sprayed HOK Tangelo pearl for the base and did all of the bottom color in Tamiya metallic black, straight from the can and cleared it with cheap 2 part urethane and had no problems with the lacquer.So far on RCP it has held up good there are some places on the splitter from other cars but that is to be expected.

herman
2010.06.20, 11:18 PM
dont forget to post pics of your finished work... :D
fyi tamiya also has a clear coat rattle can for ts paints... just can't remember the exact code... used them a couple of times in conjunction with ts tamiya rattle cans, and they work ok... hope this helps :D

Dudemeister
2010.06.20, 11:42 PM
I apologize if this question was already asked but when it comes to paint it seems like going to medical school would be easier than understanding which different paint combinations can go together haha.

Here is a little background before I ask my question.

I am painting my first mini z white body, a Ferrari F430. I am using German Grey Tamiya TS spray. I am going for the ultimate wet/shiny look and will use clearcoat to do this. When talking to guys at the hobby shop they told me to use automotive clear to get the best finish.

So I went to the guys at Gavin's Autobody Supply in Paterson NJ, and tried to see what I can find. Let me put a disclaimer here and just say that I am a total newbie to painting and I literally know nothing about the differences between acrylic's,enamels, and urethanes, but I am learning.

I brought the painted body with me but I didnt know at the time that TS sprays are synthetic Lacquer. The guys at Gavins told me if I want that super shiny wet look without wet sanding and polishing I should use Urethane clear. I bought this stuff for $20 in a rattle can called "U-Pol Clear #1"

Polyurethane is great, has a nice smooth finish, but also has one HUGE drawback: It yellows with time. And I don't mean a very long time, within a couple of months you'll start to see it tint toward yellow.

That thicker you put it on, the darker it will get.

That's not to say that doesn't have it uses, I use it on guitar finishes, as the golden/amber finish gives them that vintage look. But on something like what you're doing, your entire car will tint yellow in time. So if you can account for this, then why not use it, the finish will be tough as nails.

Oh, one other thing, don't try to apply it on thick in one pass, especially over lacquer, It will fog up.

WSR
2010.06.21, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I actually have the Tamiya clear but i heard that automotive clear is better so i am trying that. I am really surprised that Urethane clear coat would turn yellow? Especially since it is a clear coat meant to be used on cars. I am not doubting your expertise but i really hope that isnt the case. But if I spend all this time painting and putting fine detail on the body the last thing i want to do is mess it up with clear coat that will turn yellow. Thx again for the input. i will try and post some pics when i get back to it this weekend.

nitrojunkie
2010.06.21, 04:59 PM
Urethane clears don't yellow like most lacquers or enamels.Just look at all of the Linen white GM products that are on the road.Very few are "yellowed".