PDA

View Full Version : Mantis or PN Adjustable Wheels for MR-03?

Old Crow
2010.06.23, 04:28 PM
I need something that is durable and best for racing. Please help me decide which ones to get.

Thanks in advance.

hrdrvr
2010.06.23, 04:35 PM
The mantis wheels look a lot better, are less rotational mass, less parts, and seem to be very durable. I saw a guy at our local track get the off set knocked out of alignment once. It was a hard hit in the rear with mod speed, and unglued rear wheels.

I will be honest though, I wouldn't own a set of the PNs because of the weight, and the fact that they are bolted together with tiny hardware (which I will inevitably lose).

EMU
2010.06.23, 05:22 PM
One thing to consider, is the diameter of the wheel. Mantis wheels have a smaller front wheel. The standard wheel is 20mm, while the Mantis wheels is 19mm. This allows you to lower the front end, while increasing the clearance, allowing full suspension travel. This comes in handy especially with the low bodies. Also, it allows you to lower the body a little more as well. The smaller diameter wheel also gives a faster response.

Mantis also has the GroupC front wheel, which is a little smaller than the standard Mantis front wheel, but larger than an LM/Nascar wheel. It is a more heavy duty design, but still offers the ability to adjust the offsets. This has a thicker dish area, which is the outside most part of the wheel when set to 0mm offset.

I havent tried the PN adjustable wheels.

J-Milz
2010.06.24, 03:53 AM
I just purchased a set of Mantis wheels, and to be honest I was very apprehensive due to its price. My wife asked me what I wanted (race stuff) for fathers day a couple of weeks ago, and I got a set. They seem to be very durable and lowered my car in the front as EMU explained. I raced them a few times and took some hard hits during an enduro, and they held up. I have no problems.

mleemor60
2010.06.24, 07:18 AM
I need something that is durable and best for racing. Please help me decide which ones to get.

Thanks in advance.

Carl. The Mantis wheels are head and shoulders over the PN product. I have raced with both products. Although the PN product is well thought out and decently executed the massive weight renders it useless in competition unless you are building a bulldozer. The product in my opinion would be perfect for shoveling snow(drifting). If I were building a static model that had bolt on wheels then the PN product is the one I would choose. For racing the only choice is the Mantis product.

Old Crow
2010.06.24, 03:00 PM
Thanks to all. Your making points that are really the same conclusions I was coming too. I'm a PN'er, and do think the adjustable wheels are a great design, but ultimately heavier.

EMU
2010.06.24, 05:19 PM
I'm a PN'er
As a privateer racer, you have the ability to use all of the good products on the market, to limit that to one brand is just limiting your ability to improve your setups. Everyone has a bias to one manufacturer or another. But I feel that unless you have to limit the brands that you use, dont.

Old Crow
2010.06.24, 06:55 PM
As a privateer racer, you have the ability to use all of the good products on the market, to limit that to one brand is just limiting your ability to improve your setups. Everyone has a bias to one manufacturer or another. But I feel that unless you have to limit the brands that you use, dont.

Oh wow, don't get me wrong, generally I tend towards PN parts, I like them better as a whole, it's just worked out that way. That's not to say I don't use anything else though, I agree with you Eugene.

EMU
2010.06.25, 03:15 PM
I know... I was just making a general statement :)