PDA

View Full Version : Request: ssshhh the chatterbug

leonen
2010.07.02, 01:52 PM
One of the amazing features this software has is the ability to speak!

Truly to have it say the name of the drivers ju8st by typing it into the drivers list. Or to shout out ranks in between the race, lap records. etc. Is really fantastic.

Anyway, when you have a lot of drivers it's really a bugger. Can the personal lap records be turned off ?

We have 8 driver's simultaneously and for the first 5 minutes of a race, it doesn't stop talking!!!!

Best laps, or rank changes are great, but 8 personal records in between makes the computer silence-less!!!! If we had a check box to turn that feature on or off... it would be cool.

Could it be done Jeremy ?

pinwc4
2010.07.06, 12:00 PM
One of the amazing features this software has is the ability to speak!

Truly to have it say the name of the drivers ju8st by typing it into the drivers list. Or to shout out ranks in between the race, lap records. etc. Is really fantastic.

Anyway, when you have a lot of drivers it's really a bugger. Can the personal lap records be turned off ?

We have 8 driver's simultaneously and for the first 5 minutes of a race, it doesn't stop talking!!!!

Best laps, or rank changes are great, but 8 personal records in between makes the computer silence-less!!!! If we had a check box to turn that feature on or off... it would be cool.

Could it be done Jeremy ?

This is a good idea, I imagine other people would want the same options. I think the best way to do this would be similar to how you can configure rank announcements. I propose making it part of the race profile and having 3 options, no fastest lap announcements, overall or personal. I think it would be best if it is part of the race settings instead of an overall global setting as I could see people wanting different announcements depending on the race.

Does that sound good or do you have another idea?

Thanks

leonen
2010.07.06, 05:38 PM
Perfect as usual Jeremy!!!

Sounds great.

pinwc4
2010.07.08, 03:50 PM
OK, I think I have this feature done now. I have added a new option to the race profile screen called Best Lap Speech. The options are Personal, Overall and None.

The default will be Personal as that is how the software has been operating. Any existing profile will use this setting. This setting announces the overall best lap along with each individuals best lap.

Also if you set the program to use a lap indicator of "Time Difference" then the Best Lap Speech will automatically use Personal. The reason for this is the time difference lap indicator speaks the difference between the current lap and your best lap so it seemed logic that you need to know when your best lap occurred.

This will be included in the next official version which will be 0.48. It looks like I will release a new build this weekend assuming that the bug someone else reported with their Core lap counter is resolved with the test build I sent them.

leonen
2010.07.10, 11:48 AM
Gee Thanks!!!! Wonderful. We'll give a try.

mleemor60
2010.07.10, 07:16 PM
We ran a race today using the Kyosho system loaded with Flipside V46 and for the most part the smallest generic tags. Initially there were some counting issues depending on where you crossed the loop. Inside, outside or middle. It was discovered that if you turned the tape over so it was under the track the same way it was mounted under the Dnano track that these counting issues stopped. It was also noted that the tag could not be mounted under the batteries. The tag needs to be moved as far forward as possible to work well. It was also noted that the more aluminum kibble in the front suspension the more counting issues there were. When these concerns popped up it became necessary to switch to the origanal large tags mounted wherever possible to correct it.

The Kyosho instructions call for the loop to be no more than 5mm from the track surface. RCP is much thicker than that and everything still worked decently. We are going to fillet a couple of track sections to slip the loop into to see if it improves signal strength.

All in all the system performed very well and virtually would call the race for you.

Now. If you can just get the sort deal worked out.

pinwc4
2010.07.12, 06:03 PM
We ran a race today using the Kyosho system loaded with Flipside V46 and for the most part the smallest generic tags. Initially there were some counting issues depending on where you crossed the loop. Inside, outside or middle. It was discovered that if you turned the tape over so it was under the track the same way it was mounted under the Dnano track that these counting issues stopped. It was also noted that the tag could not be mounted under the batteries. The tag needs to be moved as far forward as possible to work well. It was also noted that the more aluminum kibble in the front suspension the more counting issues there were. When these concerns popped up it became necessary to switch to the origanal large tags mounted wherever possible to correct it.

The Kyosho instructions call for the loop to be no more than 5mm from the track surface. RCP is much thicker than that and everything still worked decently. We are going to fillet a couple of track sections to slip the loop into to see if it improves signal strength.

All in all the system performed very well and virtually would call the race for you.

Now. If you can just get the sort deal worked out.

That is really usefull information. Let us know how it works out with your further testing of placement of the Kyosho ribbon cable (though it would probably be worth a different thread).

In regards to sorting, I have been working on that. Outside of small tweaks and bug fixes it is what I am focusing on.

pinwc4
2010.07.12, 06:08 PM
Gee Thanks!!!! Wonderful. We'll give a try.

For the brave and technically inclined I have a new EXE and libraries you can try out. Using the following ZIP file overwrite the existing EXE and libraries:

http://www.flipsideracing.org/downloads/FsRaceWin-exe-693.zip

In addition to the above feature it does have a few other tweaks and bug fixes. Most notably I changed the polling frequency to the lap counter to 20ms as an experiment. In one of the other threads it was reported that lap counting would just stop after a little while, changing to 20ms appears to have resolved that for the Atomic Collective group.

As usual back up your files. This will report as being version 0.47. One I finalize the code the official release will be 0.48.

If anyone tries out this test build please report the results to me whether it works fine or not.

leonen
2010.07.14, 10:55 PM
We did the test run today, and I don't know if it's because of our PC hardware, but we couldn't use this latest version.

At first it would go smoothly and great, but after a few laps and the processor went all the way to 100% by FSracing.exe and imposible to use. We couldn't listen to the speech cause it came through all crooked.

We did several tests, first just updating our old version (.399) to this new one (.46/.47). Then we thought perhaps the database was too big, about 20mb, so we made a fresh install. It was the same. 0.47 was better though. In 46 the clock would freeze and stop counting and races would never end when "timed". In .47, the free practice mode would show milliseconds on every driver, refreshing screen a lot.

Then we installed back the old 0.399 version and no problem again.

Our pc is an Pentium 3, not much. got any ideas what may be happening?

pinwc4
2010.07.18, 05:43 PM
We did the test run today, and I don't know if it's because of our PC hardware, but we couldn't use this latest version.

At first it would go smoothly and great, but after a few laps and the processor went all the way to 100% by FSracing.exe and imposible to use. We couldn't listen to the speech cause it came through all crooked.

We did several tests, first just updating our old version (.399) to this new one (.46/.47). Then we thought perhaps the database was too big, about 20mb, so we made a fresh install. It was the same. 0.47 was better though. In 46 the clock would freeze and stop counting and races would never end when "timed". In .47, the free practice mode would show milliseconds on every driver, refreshing screen a lot.

Then we installed back the old 0.399 version and no problem again.

Our pc is an Pentium 3, not much. got any ideas what may be happening?

Very strange. The database would not be the culprit as during the race it does not access the database at all. I tried to minimize the number of other actions that could occur during a race so that lap counting would not get interfered with. Your database also probably grew in size, as part of the upgrade it moves all the graphics into the database increasing its size by nearly 20MB.

When this happened did you have to close the program or terminate it with task manager or did it eventually recover and stop consuming 100% CPU.

Quite a bit has changed between version .399 and version .46. I failed to mention this but you needed to install version .46 before updating to version .47 that I posted. When I publish the official version it will have all the upgrade stuff but the link to this test version is only good for applying over version .46.

Have you had problems with any of them since .399 or is this the first you have tried?

In regards to the free play mode where was it showing milliseconds, the main timer, for each racer in some column or somewhere else? This could be related as excessive graphic refreshes could slow down the program.

A P3 is a pretty old system but I would expect it to be able to handle this. What OS are you running, I hope at least Windows XP SP2? One of the major changes between those versions was that I upgraded my development software so I could get proper Windows 7 64 bit support for the database. Maybe something with that is impacting older computers.

leonen
2010.07.19, 08:46 AM
Very strange. The database would not be the culprit as during the race it does not access the database at all. I tried to minimize the number of other actions that could occur during a race so that lap counting would not get interfered with. Your database also probably grew in size, as part of the upgrade it moves all the graphics into the database increasing its size by nearly 20MB.

We though this firsthand, but was rapidly discarded as we made a fresh install and the problem was still there.

When this happened did you have to close the program or terminate it with task manager or did it eventually recover and stop consuming 100% CPU.

We had to close the program. Slowly, but I responded.

Quite a bit has changed between version .399 and version .46. I failed to mention this but you needed to install version .46 before updating to version .47 that I posted. When I publish the official version it will have all the upgrade stuff but the link to this test version is only good for applying over version .46.

We did install .46 first. That's when the problem appeared. Then we copied the .exe and libs from the .47 update.

Have you had problems with any of them since .399 or is this the first you have tried?

.399 is the version we are running smooth. We installed it back up again, and have both versions on our HDD.

In regards to the free play mode where was it showing milliseconds, the main timer, for each racer in some column or somewhere else? This could be related as excessive graphic refreshes could slow down the program.

It showed millisenconds on the main watch, and at every drivers clock too. But this is not happening in MAIN or QUALIFIER modes, where we suffer from 100% processor usage too.

A P3 is a pretty old system but I would expect it to be able to handle this. What OS are you running, I hope at least Windows XP SP2? One of the major changes between those versions was that I upgraded my development software so I could get proper Windows 7 64 bit support for the database. Maybe something with that is impacting older computers.

We are running XP SP2. I see that here may be the main reason. Pointing the finger at the compilation mode perhaps? We are looking forward to update our PC anyway.

Keep you updated.

pinwc4
2010.07.20, 04:19 PM
I have a new build you can try out though I am still uncertain of the root cause of what you are encountering.

You can get a full copy here:
http://www.flipsideracing.org/downloads/fsraceWin-700.zip

or just the exe and libs to apply to version .46 and above.
http://www.flipsideracing.org/downloads/FsRaceWin-exe-700.zip

I really hope it is not dev environment related. When I upgraded my programming tools I had to modify the source code to work with the new tools. This means I can not compile the current source with the old environment, otherwise I would just do a quick compile and test.

I have yet to be able to duplicate the problem, though I have an XP SP3 machine with the latest updates.

I have ruled out internationalization as the problem by changing my system to Portuguese (I have to check periodically since even though I cleaned this up in the past it can be easy to make the mistake again).

So I am still investigating but you can give the above build a try.

leonen
2010.07.22, 04:47 PM
Well, last night we tried it again. With the new update. We set up a race and voila...

Everything was great up til about 5 minutes when it began to use 100% processor and the voice started to come out crooked because of CPU ocuppation.

But once I hit END RACE, this dropped back to less than 10% CPU usage.

We didn't make any more runs as we were tied up with time and had to go on with programmed events, which we ran with .399 version running smoothly.

We're gonna try using a new upgraded PC.