PDA

View Full Version : Is it needed?

JDV28
2010.07.06, 12:50 PM
As the last finishing touches on my car, I was thinking about converting some of the front suspension to aluminum to add a bit of reliability and consistency. I planned on getting knuckles and a tie rod.
Knuckles could be lowdowns, but I do drive on (flat) pavement alot and I dont want to destroy the underside of my car.
Tie rod I want would be a W 0.
Would these two upgrades help me out? or am I wasting my money?

JeremyC
2010.07.06, 01:14 PM
I can't urge you enough to get a 2nd car if you want to drive it on pavement. For one thing you will scratch the bottom of it to death; I did this with my first car.

In general the aluminum parts for the front of the car are a good purchase because they are more reliable.

JDV28
2010.07.06, 01:23 PM
I would get a 2nd car, but after these parts, i wont have nearly enough. and then I would want to upgrade the second one....and a whole nother situation like my current one lol just too much money

hrdrvr
2010.07.06, 01:27 PM
I say, if you aren't breaking them, don't replace them. Alloy parts only add weight and strain on the car IMO. I only use them where plastic ones are not available, or where plastic cannot do the job.

I do only run indoors on a proper track, but back when I was running outdoors (mostly AWD on concrete) I didn't run any alloy unless I had to.

JeremyC
2010.07.06, 01:36 PM
I say, if you aren't breaking them, don't replace them. Alloy parts only add weight and strain on the car IMO. I only use them where plastic ones are not available, or where plastic cannot do the job.

I do only run indoors on a proper track, but back when I was running outdoors (mostly AWD on concrete) I didn't run any alloy unless I had to.

I actually agree. I run plastic 3 Racing knuckles instead of alloy, but I do run an alloy top bar for toe out. I did leave the chassis intact on the lower side.

However, I think the added strength does benefit a beginner more than the decreased weight.

PS: Yes, I still run MR-02 :)

JDV28
2010.07.06, 02:04 PM
So basically, no outdoors and no aluminum? lol
I just want more stability and a more solid front suspension. A little extra weight couldnt hurt that much.