PDA

View Full Version : worth it?

rob21r
2010.07.06, 09:07 PM
ok I have a mr-02 right now and im thinking about making the switch to the 03 and putting my ball diff and damper plates on it then make a few other upgrades. Is the mr03 that much better than the 02? would it be worth making the switch.

cosmicsoul
2010.07.06, 10:33 PM
Definately worth the switch, I think 9 out of ten people would agree.

There are probably a few people who would rather run an 02 but few and far between.

herman
2010.07.06, 10:53 PM
hmm... i would be one of the 9 that would agree... :D
electronics alone are a whole lot better... that plus a newly designed chassis that can adopt to mr02 mr015 bodies... :D

i believe that kyosho is always trying to raise the bar a bit higher when they come out with new developments in their products...

Felix2010
2010.07.06, 11:08 PM
It depends on what you are running on your 02 for parts. If you have a PN Dbl A-Arm front suspension an one of the new PN Gimbaled motor mounts like I do, I prefer the 02.:) If you haven't invested in the PN Dbl A-Arm front suspension then the 03 is definitely worth buying. Just my opinion of course!:D
The only thing is you might want to swap-out the RA-18 PCB MR02 ASF board out of the MR02 in favor of the MR03 RA-22 unit. The RA-22 PCB allows for reverse adjustment, no more missing reverse exactly when you need it the most:mad:.

rob21r
2010.07.07, 06:57 AM
Im running am still no 2.4

herman
2010.07.07, 09:44 PM
prior to purchasing one, i would suggest trying one out, just to see the difference... that way, you will know if that ''difference'' is something you want or need...

the 2.4 ghz 02 is definitely a step above am...
and the 2.4ghz 03 is also a step above the 2.4ghz 02...

hope this helps...

rob21r
2010.07.07, 10:02 PM
prior to purchasing one, i would suggest trying one out, just to see the difference... that way, you will know if that ''difference'' is something you want or need...

the 2.4 ghz 02 is definitely a step above am...
and the 2.4ghz 03 is also a step above the 2.4ghz 02...

hope this helps...

I have driven them in stock form, but I dont plan to keep one in stock from. I guess what im wondering is if a 03 in race form is better than the 02 in race form. Or wehn set up properly if both will yeild the same laptimes

rdoubleday
2010.07.15, 12:49 AM
I have driven them in stock form, but I dont plan to keep one in stock from. I guess what im wondering is if a 03 in race form is better than the 02 in race form. Or wehn set up properly if both will yeild the same laptimes

yes the 03 is better

herman
2010.07.15, 02:50 AM

for me electronics alone make a big difference...

looking at kyosho's progression... (if i'm not mistaken...)
am mr02, then ad mr02, then am mr02 with the 3010 fets, then mr02 2.4ghz asf, then mr03 2.4ghz asf...

as i mentioned the electronics that came out seemed to be a notch higher than the previous models...

first the am mr02 boards with the 3004 fets...

then came the ad mr02 board which seemed to be better than the am... i figure the fets were better...

didn't take off that much because of price issues, a bit pricey... plus you need a high end radio for the ad module... i guess the fact that you could change the fets in the am boards to improve performance was a cheaper alternative...

eventually kyosho came out with the am mr02 with 3010 fets... which were a tad faster than mr02 with 3004 fets

then the mr02 2.4ghz asf came out... again better than the am boards...and better fets... they had reverse issues (drivers experienced a time delay / lag before being able to go into reverse)

then the mr03 2.4ghz asf came out... kyosho resolved the reverse issue (which was a welcome relief)... and improved steering response by incorporating a coreless servo motor... this plus a newly designed chassis that would enable you to use almost any kyosho autoscale body produced...

stock mr03 2.4ghz asf vs. stock mr02 am.... i guess it's a no brainer...

modifying these two up to race form, will only make each of them faster... and i guess it'll still be a no brainer...

maybe somebody with a laptimer can chime in to confirm....

hope this helps... :D

color01
2010.07.15, 05:33 AM
Absolute cornering speed isn't too different between 02 and 03, you can test it yourself by running the cars on a REALLY large track layout. Where the 03 shines though is that amazing servo and the faster response time of the car (lighter + narrower + servo) which helps any driver stick to a better line on the track, which will decrease laptimes and improve consistency.

If you absolutely must win, then you should invest in the 03 for its performance potential. The 02's advantages, on the other hand, are 1) durability and 2) ease of maintenance. Can't tell you how much I dislike rebuilding the 03's front suspension...

herman
2010.07.16, 04:21 AM
If you absolutely must win, then you should invest in the 03 for its performance potential. The 02's advantages, on the other hand, are 1) durability and 2) ease of maintenance. Can't tell you how much I dislike rebuilding the 03's front suspension...

or as an alternative you might want to put a mr03 board in the mr02 chassis.... you will just have to use the 02 servo motor though... i've read that it's been done before...

wildthing
2010.07.16, 05:28 AM
but I thought the mr03's new front suspension design was much better than the mr02?!?

machgo5go
2010.07.16, 06:57 AM
or as an alternative you might want to put a mr03 board in the mr02 chassis.... you will just have to use the 02 servo motor though... i've read that it's been done before...
I have done it, well my hobby shop master did the conversion and what a difference since now reverse is lightening fast as my 03. Of course my 02 have Double A-Arm Front end to keep up with my 03 with PN Reverse King Pin Front end treatment. 02 is a lots durable then 03 since I broke twice in top chassis plate's DDS post which you have to buy entire 03 chassis kit to just get that part vs. I never broke it on the 02 chassis top plate & Kyosho do sell that plate separately.

herman
2010.07.18, 08:44 PM
but I thought the mr03's new front suspension design was much better than the mr02?!?

yes i believe so... but as color01 and machgo5go mentions...

The 02's advantages, on the other hand, are 1) durability and 2) ease of maintenance. Can't tell you how much I dislike rebuilding the 03's front suspension...

02 is a lots durable then 03 since I broke twice in top chassis plate's DDS post which you have to buy entire 03 chassis kit to just get that part vs. I never broke it on the 02 chassis top plate & Kyosho do sell that plate separately.

Felix2010
2010.07.18, 08:59 PM
OK, here's my new perspective:D.... I have been running a full-PN MR02 for couple months straight, with PN Dbl A-Arm front & PN Gimbaled rear pod + PN Tri-Damper system. Great car.

I switched over to an MR03 I have with a PN 94-98 V2 pod and DPS and Atomic top shock(Non-oil type) plus some PN front upper arms, front springs, but nothing really else, everything stock. I have to say I see why color0 loves the Mr03 servo... The Mr03 is a better car. The electronics allow for instant reverse, which I don't care how good you are, this can make a difference between winning and losing (Those times where someone T-bones you unexpectedly:eek:); And the servo... It is telepathic. If you are a Very-Good or better driver with your MR02 IMHO the MR03 will make you better.

herman
2010.07.18, 10:58 PM
i almost forgot the delay in the mr02... if you put a mr03 board in the 02, it will eliminate the delay... and you will have a more durable chassis as pointed out earlier... :D

the 03 though has great steering response, but chassis is not as bulletproof as the 02... :D

i guess these are just some things to consider... :D

color01
2010.07.18, 11:53 PM
Actually, @mach5: I noticed what you said about the DDS mounting posts being damaged or bent out of shape. I'm not entirely sure why that happens, but I did take a note of it and am working on a fix. Should be a pretty simple one if I can fit it in the car, and it it works will alleviate at least one of our MR-03 complaints. :)

machgo5go
2010.07.19, 07:41 AM
Actually, @mach5: I noticed what you said about the DDS mounting posts being damaged or bent out of shape. I'm not entirely sure why that happens, but I did take a note of it and am working on a fix. Should be a pretty simple one if I can fit it in the car, and it it works will alleviate at least one of our MR-03 complaints. :)
That will be great if there is an alternative, TKS!
Even $10.00 Chassis top plate only is better then $25.00 entire chassis.

herman
2010.07.19, 09:49 PM
I broke twice in top chassis plate's DDS post which you have to buy entire 03 chassis kit to just get that part vs. I never broke it on the 02 chassis top plate & Kyosho do sell that plate separately.
hmm... can you post a pic?

Juggler
2013.02.03, 02:18 PM
Instead of starting a new thread,i'd like some help here!
I also have a mr02 mm with PN's A-arm installed.I honestly have no complaints about it's driving behavior,but how good would be if i switch the AM board to a 2.4 ???
I have to say that there is no option of buyin' an mr03!
So should i go to the conversion or don't bother any further???

cowboysir
2013.02.03, 04:18 PM
1. 2.4 board will then require a KT-18 or aftermarket controller.

2. if you swap in an RA-22 (MR03) board then you will need an aftermarket TX to adjust the steering rack throw (servo ratios differ from 02 to 03)

3. I like my older chassis' that have been converted to RA-22 boards...a nice increase in power and a very nice instant reverse response (compared to RA-18 2.4GHz)

converting isnt cheap when you consider getting a TX so you decide.;)

Juggler
2013.02.03, 05:25 PM
1. 2.4 board will then require a KT-18 or aftermarket controller.

2. if you swap in an RA-22 (MR03) board then you will need an aftermarket TX to adjust the steering rack throw (servo ratios differ from 02 to 03)

3. I like my older chassis' that have been converted to RA-22 boards...a nice increase in power and a very nice instant reverse response (compared to RA-18 2.4GHz)

converting isnt cheap when you consider getting a TX so you decide.;)

Really thank you for your time!
1.I'm familiar with that!I'm about to buy the KO EX-5
So you suggest the RA-22 instead of the RA-18,right?!I assume that fits perfectly...

cowboysir
2013.02.03, 05:48 PM
Definitely go with the RA-22 or 23...those have the no delay reverse.

The only swap issue is changing the servo motor....easy as that.;)