PDA

View Full Version : Open practice at Hobby Works

vash
2010.07.20, 10:11 AM
Hobby Works in Fairfax has designated every Monday afternoon for mini-z practice from approx 2:30pm-7:30pm. The track layout is usually the layout for the next scheduled HFAY event. We try to keep it laid back and it gives us a chance to test and tune between races. If you have any questions, call the shop and ask for Bruce or Jeremy.

Rules:
1. Users are responsible for setup and tear down of the track to management satisfaction, read this to mean neatly stacked and organized in stacks on middle level shelf. Please take care in stacking tiles as this will affect the next user when laid out again.
2. Users should thank Bruce for allowing practice to continue on Monday's. OK, not a real requirement but all should take a moment when there to thank him. he's been very supportive of us.
3. Users are welcome to use the track computer and timing system provided they exercise the same care and responsibility as handling the track, subject to decision of management. There is no password, just push ctrl+alt+del and push enter. The patch cable for the bridge is flat and black and laid on the bottom shelf and already attached at the other end to the track PC. The Core timing system loop is in a transmitter vinyl bag on the shelf over the Mini-Z display cabinet. The Giro-Z timing system bridge is on the very top shelf over the Mini-Z display cabinet. The I-Lap timing system bridge will be on the very top shelf over the Mini-Z display cabinet.
4. Support the shop, purchase mini-z parts if needed. Bruce agreed to stock mini-z parts just for us so need to follow thru and support him. If you don't find what you need, be sure to give Bruce/Jeremy the part number for ordering/restock.
5. When making a purchase, ask Jeremy about mini-z racer specials, this includes special pricing on cases of peak batteries.

arch2b
2010.07.20, 11:53 AM
thank you very much for posting the official information. i am glad to see Courtney make this official.

I plan on upgrading to the latest version of Flipside Racing software unless someone beats me to it. I think this software is ideal for open practice and ease of use.
If someone gets to update the software before i do, please be sure to copy the driver data so we don't loose what i saved from our previous HFAY race date. also be sure to do a clean install by uninstalling any previous installation of Flipside as is suggested by FPR.

I also have the last retail version of Corespeedway on file as well however i'm leary about messing with Corespeedway at all.

oh, it would be great if someone could put HFAY S10 track images on the desktop as well ;)

if this becomes a permanent thing, i would suggest we return the core loop to the starting line that has been routed out on the bottom so as to eliminate the bump caused by placing the loop/cardboard under the track. the floor has enough bumps in it already:p

byebye
2010.07.20, 12:11 PM
Awesome!

Kris

double_green
2010.08.27, 11:21 AM
Hi guys,

I'm new to the Mini-Z racing. I've been racing 1/10 scale TC but wanted to get involved with Mini-Z racing. I'm hoping to join you all for the next HFAY event in October.

I was excited to see that there was open practice day at Hobby Works. Unfortunately, when I called the store they stated that there were no practice days for the Mini-Zs.

-John

vash
2010.08.27, 12:24 PM
I was excited to see that there was open practice day at Hobby Works. Unfortunately, when I called the store they stated that there were no practice days for the Mini-Zs.

Sorry for the confusion, we are defiantly practicing on Monday's. I'll ask Courtney if practice is on the store calender and see if he can add if it's not.

arch2b
2010.08.27, 12:29 PM
it's a store employee issue;) not all of them are excited about mini-z racing nor care to know whats going on when.
if you ever have a question regarding racing, speak with courtney.

double_green
2010.08.27, 01:16 PM
I'm glad to hear that open practice are still available. I work in the area so it would be nice to stop by after work for a practice/tune session. I also received additional information over the phone that I would like to confirm with you guys.

1) They said the HFAY racing was free. I'll be the last to complain about this but is this correct?
2) They said there are house transponders for use? If not, which one should I purchase.

My plan is to run my MR03 in the Mini-Z Stock class. I'm also registering for the upcoming ALS Charity race. I assume it's no LiPO in the stock class. If not, I'll be way under powered as I'm going to run NiMH 750mAH cells.

-John

Scrapper
2010.08.27, 01:21 PM
no lipo and lipo is never used in miniz at least not that i know of

arch2b
2010.08.27, 02:30 PM
1. yes, HFAY is free at hobby works. very nice of courtney for sure but considering the entire setup is donated, it's reasonable. it draws traffic and hopefully sales. courtney provides the floor space/tables/chairs, i provided everything else.
2. house transponder consist of me providing them. 90% of the time i do not charge for them as i order them in batches. they are not free mind you and continual replacements will not be provided.

in reality, running HFAY out of hobby works cost me money and time. time i'm willing to spend. money on the other hand doesn't grow on tree's and i'm not wealthy.

double_green
2010.09.01, 08:51 AM
Hey guys,

My Mini-z gear is slowly coming together and I should be able to start practicing on the 13th. What has been the turn out for Monday night? It'll be my very first time running a Mini-z and it would be nice to practice with some folks.

-John

vash
2010.09.02, 03:35 PM
Depends but probably three or four depending on the time.

vash
2010.09.05, 03:27 PM
Due to the holiday tomorrow, September 6, we will probably start practice early. The store may be closing early so we might not run as late.

arch2b
2010.09.05, 05:50 PM
what time to what time?

i actually stopped by this am to pick up my batteries but i got there before noon so i just kept on the northern trek home.

vash
2010.09.05, 06:48 PM
Sorry, not much detail in my last post. I plan to be there between 12:30-1PM. Not sure if the store will close early, it was a maybe yesterday so I would say anywhere from 6:30 to 7:30. Last practice before the race!

byebye
2010.09.13, 04:18 PM
Track is set up for October HFAY today. Timing system is fired up as well.

Kris

arch2b
2010.09.13, 04:43 PM
sucks working till 7-8pm everyday:(

byebye
2010.09.13, 07:38 PM
Practice went well today. I met a new guy Adam and Courtney pulled out a new porsche. The layout is very technical at first but I found the groove going clockwise. Next Monday I want to run it counter.

The laptiming system ran flawlessly. We only ran 3min heats. I was shaking down my F430. Fastest lap was a 4.50. I think I could do better with my Mosler. We'll have to see next Monday.

Kris

vash
2010.10.06, 02:07 PM
Wanted to ask if Tuesday is a better day to practice for anyone? I asked Cort about Tuesday and he had to check but thought it might be ok. Just wondering if that's a better day

arch2b
2011.02.21, 09:21 AM
wondering if i could make it for practice today as it's a holiday. what time will you guys be running till?

F1Jet
2011.02.21, 10:59 AM
Howdy:

I'm not sure if this info is posted somewhere else and if it is I apologize. Just trying to spread the word to the DC/MD/VA racers.

A MiniZ track was setup on the floor at The Track in Gaithersburg and apparently there will be a race on Saturday the 26th of February. Currently there's no other racing occuring at the Track on Saturday's. However, a lot of truck & buggy guys come on Saturday to prepare for Sunday's indoor but off-road racing. If you haven't seen those vehicles flying through the air, it is worth a trip. Mimi also has a few body sets on display, I didn't ask if she has an other parts.

Also, the Dnano track in Frederick was reassembled with the computer timing system. The hobby shop has flyers indicating Dnano racing will start in April on a regular basis. Perhaps this year will be different, but, well, wait and see. They have about a dozen body dnano shells & cars in stock and a bin a spare parts.

arch2b
2011.02.21, 11:11 AM
Matt and Mike arranged this event, more information here (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35690).

Howdy:

I'm not sure if this info is posted somewhere else and if it is I apologize. Just trying to spread the word to the DC/MD/VA racers.

A MiniZ track was setup on the floor at The Track in Gaithersburg and apparently there will be a race on Saturday the 26th of February. Currently there's no other racing occuring at the Track on Saturday's. However, a lot of truck & buggy guys come on Saturday to prepare for Sunday's indoor but off-road racing. If you haven't seen those vehicles flying through the air, it is worth a trip. Mimi also has a few body sets on display, I didn't ask if she has an other parts.

Also, the Dnano track in Frederick was reassembled with the computer timing system. The hobby shop has flyers indicating Dnano racing will start in April on a regular basis. Perhaps this year will be different, but, well, wait and see. They have about a dozen body dnano shells & cars in stock and a bin a spare parts.

The Teacher
2011.02.22, 08:38 PM
What's up guys? I'm new to mini-z racing in the DC/MD/VA area and was just wondering if you guys could give me some info. Where do most of you guys run....when, where and what classes? Currently I've got a car set up to run stock (PN Racing rules) but I'm open to run whatever.

Planning to go to the race this weekend at The Track, are any of you going?

arch2b
2011.02.22, 08:49 PM
you have hobby works in fairfax, remnant racing just outside the beltway in md and awsome rc in fredricksburg. hobby works schedule is posted in our forum here. you will have to check out the forums for remnant and awsome to see when they run.

most of us will be at the track. it's always nice to get a large event in our back yard :)

Skv012a
2011.02.22, 10:38 PM
No kiddin. I should finally be all set for the big one minus some tuning.

chucelli
2011.03.02, 02:22 PM
open practice still start at 2:30pm on Mondays? I want to confirm, since this schedule was posted more than 3 years ago!
thanks,
-Robert

vash
2011.03.02, 07:04 PM
Due to schedules we havnt been starting early but practice is open at 2:30. If your the first one there you will have to set up the track, march hfay and printout should be by the track.

tr1kstanc3
2011.03.04, 11:41 AM
We'll be practicing this coming Monday for the HFAY race. I'll probably be there earlier than usual (3-4pm).

-Joe T.

chucelli
2011.03.04, 12:17 PM
great!
will see you guys there if I can skip out of work early..

tr1kstanc3
2011.03.07, 09:27 AM
I plan on being there around 3:30pm. Cleaning car and charging batts now =]

poochy
2014.02.10, 08:15 PM
my buddy and i would like to practice the current HFAY layout at hobbyworks. please let us know how practice works?

arch2b
2014.02.10, 08:39 PM
i'm checking with Jeremy now. i mentioned to the new manager Bruce that the previous manager let people practice monday's but he never brought it up again and i am not local to make weekday practice days so i haven't inquired further but i am looking into it for you.

arch2b
2014.02.10, 09:11 PM
ok, finished chatting with jeremy. Monday practice is open again by new management. i must add the following provisions;
1. users are responsible for setup and teardown of the track to management satisfaction, read this to mean neatly stacked and organized.
2. users must thank Bruce for allowing practice to continue on Monday's. ok, not a real requirement but all should take a moment when there to thank him. he's been very supportive of us.
3. users are welcome to use the track computer and timing system provided they exercise the same care and responsibility as handling the track, subject to decision of management. there is no password, just push ctrl+alt+del and push enter. the patch cable for the bridge is flat and black and laid on the bottom shelf.
4. support the shop, purchase mini-z parts if needed. Bruce agreed to stock mini-z parts just for us so need to follow thru and support him. If you don't find what you need, be sure to give Bruce/Jeremy the part number for ordering/restock.
5. ask Jeremy about mini-z racer specials ;) this includes special pricing on cases of peak batteries.

poochy
2014.02.10, 11:15 PM
ok, finished chatting with jeremy. Monday practice is open again by new management. i must add the following provisions;
1. users are responsible for setup and teardown of the track to management satisfaction, read this to mean neatly stacked and organized.
2. users must thank Bruce for allowing practice to continue on Monday's. ok, not a real requirement but all should take a moment when there to thank him. he's been very supportive of us.
3. users are welcome to use the track computer and timing system provided they exercise the same care and responsibility as handling the track, subject to decision of management. there is no password, just push ctrl+alt+del and push enter. the patch cable for the bridge is flat and black and laid on the bottom shelf.
4. support the shop, purchase mini-z parts if needed. Bruce agreed to stock mini-z parts just for us so need to follow thru and support him. If you don't find what you need, be sure to give Bruce/Jeremy the part number for ordering/restock.
5. ask Jeremy about mini-z racer specials ;) this includes special pricing on cases of peak batteries.

thank u arch2b! we'll gladly follow the rules.

poochy
2014.02.17, 11:34 AM
we will be there between 4-5 pm today to practice.

byebye
2014.02.17, 11:58 AM
I'll be there to help setup the track. I don't have transponders other than my own timing system. I do need to get some laps in on my stock and hfay car.

arch2b
2014.02.17, 12:43 PM
im leaving now with michael. :cool:

arch2b
2014.02.17, 02:22 PM
Track setup and ready for open practice today

byebye
2014.02.17, 10:18 PM
Awesome practice tonight guys. Nice to meet and race with some new people. M did really well running with us this evening arch2b.

TALLGEESE
2014.02.17, 10:33 PM
Hey guys it was good to see you in the store today. Hopefully Monday practice days will catch on and be successful. I had a great time trying out the new MA -020, and trying out poochy's new MR-03..

poochy
2014.02.18, 06:03 AM
thanks to Ray, Chris, and Jeremy for all the help. we had a great time!..see u guys this sat for hfay stock, n nxt monday for more practice!

poochy
2014.02.18, 09:44 AM
Jeremy, i left the box that the mr03 came in-do you see it in the store? i like to get the manuals as well. thanks.

byebye
2014.02.18, 12:23 PM
thanks to Ray, Chris, and Jeremy for all the help. we had a great time!..see u guys this sat for hfay stock, n nxt monday for more practice!

Yeah Saturday should be a lot of fun.

arch2b
2014.02.18, 02:41 PM
michael and i had a great time! to bad i can't do that more often. :(

classes are listed on calendar event dates on our schedule post. i also made a public google calendar that can be linked or added to your own for tracking. 2nd sat of every month is HFAY 70t. 4th sat of every month is kyosho stock and 90mm or alternate.

i hope monday practice picks up again and you guys have fun with it.

just a reminder, if you need Hobby works to carry a kyosho/R246 part, just let Jeremy know. they will only stock kyosho/R246 though.

TALLGEESE
2014.02.18, 09:54 PM
Jeremy, i left the box that the mr03 came in-do you see it in the store? i like to get the manuals as well. thanks.
I didn't see any MR-03 boxes in the store when I was working today. You might be able to find the information you need on Kyosho's website, or get the manuals from a fellow racer.

poochy
2014.02.19, 07:36 AM
guys, my new mr03 front left spring will bind up to the spring holder---the spring compresses and gets caught up to the spring holder and will not uncompress...

is anybody be familiar with this problem?

this is fixed,,,it was the left inside circle bottom holder -- it needed a .5mm shaving---

mleemor60
2014.02.19, 09:01 AM
Make sure that the springs are both in the same bottom pocket. Not wide top and narrow bottom or vice versa.

poochy
2014.02.19, 01:11 PM
Make sure that the springs are both in the same bottom pocket. Not wide top and narrow bottom or vice versa.

yep i got it in the outer shock holder circle for the 458--im going to sand the top arm's connection to the spring to see if it helps

poochy
2014.02.19, 06:11 PM
still troubleshooting the bind..noticing one spring is a little narrower.

does anybody have the part number for the kit frnt spring? cant find it anywhere.

does the frnt top arm (upper frnt spring top) bend?

Ray,
what tires do i have in my mr03?

dwight
2014.02.19, 06:20 PM
Kyosho 30 and 40 fronts. Kyosho 20 rears and pn 5 or pn 6 for the rear

arch2b
2014.02.19, 07:56 PM
still troubleshooting the bind..noticing one spring is a little narrower.

does anybody have the part number for the kit frnt spring? cant find it anywhere.

does the frnt top arm (upper frnt spring top) bend?

Ray,
what tires do i have in my mr03?

kyosho 20 rear, 30 front

TALLGEESE
2014.02.20, 11:32 AM
poochy, just so you know I found your MR-03 box and instruction book in the back of the store today. I should be able to give them to you this weekend.

arch2b
2014.02.20, 12:18 PM
updated the first post to include rules already provided above/below, depends on how you configure posts to read.

poochy
2014.02.21, 03:04 PM
poochy, just so you know I found your MR-03 box and instruction book in the back of the store today. I should be able to give them to you this weekend.

thanks Jeremy!

btw kyosho makes two sizes tire tape (5mm and 7mm)..which one should i get?

arch2b
2014.02.21, 03:13 PM
thanks Jeremy!

btw kyosho makes two sizes tire tape (5mm and 7mm)..which one should i get?

both for use with narrow and wide wheels.
Mini-Z Tire Tape Narrow 7mm
Part Number R246-1041
Mini-Z Tire Tape Wide 9mm
Part Number R246-1042

poochy
2014.02.21, 03:42 PM
both for use with narrow and wide wheels.
Mini-Z Tire Tape Narrow 7mm
Part Number R246-1041
Mini-Z Tire Tape Wide 9mm
Part Number R246-1042

thanks Ray

poochy
2014.02.24, 07:32 AM
updated the first post to include rules already provided above/below, depends on how you configure posts to read.

what time is everybody showing up today for practice?

novaraca
2014.02.24, 10:17 AM
I will be ther to bash!

byebye
2014.02.24, 01:04 PM
I should be there before 4pm

novaraca
2014.03.03, 09:14 AM
I guess no open practice today!

I am done with the winter!

Please get us out of this mess!!!!

I am so ready for warmer weather with ladies wearing skimpy oufits and ......

byebye
2014.03.03, 09:50 AM
I guess no open practice today!

I am done with the winter!

Please get us out of this mess!!!!

I am so ready for warmer weather with ladies wearing skimpy oufits and ......

Yeah probably a no go for practice.

poochy
2014.03.03, 10:12 AM
im a no go for today, but can be a go if somebody wanna twist my arm

tr1kstanc3
2014.03.03, 11:25 AM
You guys practice every Monday? What time. I haven't raced my Mini-z in over a year but looking to take them out.

byebye
2014.03.03, 03:42 PM
im a no go for today, but can be a go if somebody wanna twist my arm
I'm not so hard core as to drive out that way. Maybe we can find out when the next available day this week is and schedule for then. I wont' have my timing system for practice any way.

You guys practice every Monday? What time. I haven't raced my Mini-z in over a year but looking to take them out.

We've been that past couple Monday's from 4pm on so far with three to four of us. Obviously the weather isn't playing nice.

We do have HFAY this Saturday though if you are wanting to knock the dust off :cool:

Kris

vash
2014.03.04, 02:05 PM
I was in the shop last week and was thinking of stopping by. haven't raced anything in about 8 months. what's the turn out been like on Monday's?

byebye
2014.03.04, 05:23 PM
I'm not so hard core as to drive out that way. Maybe we can find out when the next available day this week is and schedule for then. I wont' have my timing system for practice any way.

We've been that past couple Monday's from 4pm on so far with three to four of us. Obviously the weather isn't playing nice.

We do have HFAY this Saturday though if you are wanting to knock the dust off :cool:

Kris

I was in the shop last week and was thinking of stopping by. haven't raced anything in about 8 months. what's the turn out been like on Monday's?

Three to four of us.

RossScott
2016.02.15, 08:02 AM
What ever happened to Monday practices? Today would be a perfect day for it!!!

arch2b
2016.02.15, 08:12 AM
people haven't come out to setup, plain and simple. Hobby Works continues to hold Monday's and other days if needed, available for unscheduled practice. it's just up to those that show up to setup, tear down, etc. If i had a work schedule that accommodated this or lived in close proximity, it would be something i would like to do but alas, i typically get off work between 5-7pm and on the wrong side of the beltway.

RossScott
2016.02.15, 08:20 AM
Great to know!!!!