PDA

View Full Version : MantisWorx F1 cantilever damper system

MantisMMA
2010.08.05, 03:11 PM
Some of you were at the PN regional this past weekend and saw a prototype damping system that i had on my MR03 and that project is still in the works but the F1 system is just about ready to be released!
this system works better with the F1's because there is not much body roll therefore a centering mechanism is not necessary. it is VERY low profile and will fit under the Mclaren body but unfortunately not the Ferrari . It is also a very advanced install as you must move the board forward and lengthen one of the battery wires as well as the motor wires. tThe base has a spot set for the board and even has the locating tabs as well as screw holes to secure the board! The damping action is ultra smooth and consistent. one of the advantages with this system is that it completely seperates fore and aft from lateral movements ie you can adust one without effecting the other. testing hs led to kyosho 5k grease being the best so far and its a good starting point. Because it is cantilever reacted every 1mm of mount movement relates to 1.5mm of damping action so the dampers move faster than the action on the car! Team drivers will have their systems in a few days for more testing and i am gathering hardware. the release should be in about 2 weeks.

EMU
2010.08.05, 04:17 PM
I was pretty impressed with how the MR03 version felt, and I would imagine that this would be even better, with the curved damper plates (if thats the correct terminology). I would think that this would need to be used with the t-plate...

VAzRACER
2010.08.05, 05:20 PM
^ he said with the circular shape it is alot smoother that the version he had on his 03.

doug01n
2010.08.06, 08:17 AM
Very interesting... bur I can't see this thing working in my mind.... lol.

When will it be available for MR-03? Please put a video of how this thjing works... I'm curious!

MantisMMA
2010.08.06, 10:52 AM
i will get a video up on the site tonight.

MantisMMA
2010.08.07, 10:28 AM
video:
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/th_f1canti.jpg (http://s770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/?action=view&current=f1canti.mp4)

EMU
2010.08.07, 11:58 AM
Great video. Really explains how it works... I assume that you would have to use grease in the top shock for dampening... Would an Oil shock fit under there?

MantisMMA
2010.08.07, 01:18 PM
not on the F1!!!

EMU
2010.08.07, 01:32 PM
I didnt think so... Cant wait to test it :D

lfisminiz
2010.08.07, 02:58 PM
Nice work Marcus....im ready for one!;):)

MantisMMA
2010.08.07, 05:24 PM
what is the general opinion on having to cut own the already too high pn mount? problem is that as pictured there is just BARELY enough room to clear the body, if the mount is cut down at least 2mm the mechanism will clear easily.

MantisMMA
2010.08.07, 05:25 PM
oh and by the way i should have a working prototype of an F1 front end with mr03 arms next week!

EMU
2010.08.08, 01:23 AM
oh and by the way i should have a working prototype of an F1 front end with mr03 arms next week!
Shhh... dont let them know yet... :rolleyes: I really want to try that. So much fun stuff for my F1.

Cherub1m
2010.08.12, 04:47 PM

HEHE, :D, MUUUAAHAHAHAHAHAHA, HEHE, HEHE, :D keep them coming man.

pnracingsweden
2010.08.13, 06:43 PM
I have no problem customizing the rearend but if it can be avoided its best of course if i need to change back to way it was before.
/Jocke

MantisMMA
2010.08.13, 11:20 PM
I have no problem customizing the rearend but if it can be avoided its best of course if i need to change back to way it was before.
/Jocke

unfortunately there is not alot of room on the F1, fortunately chassis are ready available and cheap! one of the reasons the F1 is how it is is because of space limitations. But you cannot avoid the results, F1's are quickly eliminating the performance gap and local racers around the US are finding that the F1's are usualy the fastest cars on the track! That is a big step forward! as it stands now if you are not at least running my tower bars and the T plate system our not gonna keep up with the top level F1 drivers (Matt Ward, EMU, Larry) my next wave of designs are already in the works and they are made for the all out racers and will require lots of cutting,grinding and chopping. This does not bother some and it will bother others but at the end of the day if you want to go as fast as the fastest, your gonna have to follow the trends. Team drivers are testing as we speak. items being tested right now are:
cantilever damping systems for the f1 and MR's
complete new coil over front suspension with adjustable roll center and camber. it uses stock knuckles and kingpins! i will release a sneek pic tomorrow!( the entire outside front of the chassis has to be cut off!!)
A REVOLUTIONARY NEW MOTOR MOUNT SYSTEM THAT WILL CHANGE MINI-Z AND RC RACING IN GENERAL! i have a working model and have been driving it all week no one will see it until the worlds.
a true 4 link type rear suspension, that allows you to alter CG and the pitch of the rear end! it is very complicated but once it is set it should work very well, i have not driven it yet but plan to try it out next saturday.

tudor_47
2010.08.14, 04:59 AM
Very nice Marcus!

keep up the good work!

We can not wait to see the pictures...

byebye
2010.08.15, 09:31 AM
Interesting movement.

Kris

VAzRACER
2010.08.15, 01:10 PM
I received the cantilever damper this past week to do some testing with it, I put it on the track yesterday and it is awesome! The rear traction it gives the car makes it extremely stable and very easy to drive. The second I put the car on the track I felt very comfortable with it. I only drove about a pack and a half throught it and didnt get any solid data but I will next weekend.

All I can say is that for the past two months I have had a very good F1 and I thought it coulndt get any better but it has.

I have been using tri-shock setups on a few of my 03's and this system to me is very comparable to the tri-shock. The damper only responds to side to side movement and the rear shock controls fore and aft. I think seperating the two makes for a much more drivable and contolable car and allows you to independently adjust the two.

I'll post more after next weekend and I will also do a back to back comparison with the atm dds that I had been using on the car for the past year. I will get some pics un aswell.

MantisMMA
2010.08.15, 02:13 PM
i felt the same way but i am biased!!!!

As promised pix of the tri link F1 front.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=391011#post391011

kromie101
2010.08.15, 02:48 PM
maaaaaaaaan,this is making me want an F-1:D. looks cool marcus:).

VAzRACER
2010.08.15, 03:00 PM
maaaaaaaaan,this is making me want an F-1:D. looks cool marcus:).

What are you waiting for!!! Get one one.:D

kromie101
2010.08.15, 03:26 PM
i have to much junk already:D. i might start shopping:cool:.

tudor_47
2010.08.15, 03:46 PM
This new cantilever system is that for 2,4Ghz only??

EMU
2010.08.15, 03:48 PM
Due to the size limitations of the AM board, it will be limited to ASF sized boards. You might be possible to mount an AM board sideways, although that may be too tight of a fit under the body.

tudor_47
2010.08.15, 04:15 PM
I guessed it from the pictures.....
Thanks!

lfisminiz
2010.08.15, 07:02 PM
I received the cantilever damper this past week to do some testing with it, I put it on the track yesterday and it is awesome! The rear traction it gives the car makes it extremely stable and very easy to drive. The second I put the car on the track I felt very comfortable with it. I only drove about a pack and a half throught it and didnt get any solid data but I will next weekend.

All I can say is that for the past two months I have had a very good F1 and I thought it coulndt get any better but it has.

I have been using tri-shock setups on a few of my 03's and this system to me is very comparable to the tri-shock. The damper only responds to side to side movement and the rear shock controls fore and aft. I think seperating the two makes for a much more drivable and contolable car and allows you to independently adjust the two.

I'll post more after next weekend and I will also do a back to back comparison with the atm dds that I had been using on the car for the past year. I will get some pics un aswell.

Well, if Matt is impressed with this the way his F-1s run, than im sold.;)

Cherub1m
2010.08.16, 10:12 PM
i felt the same way but i am biased!!!!

As promised pix of the tri link F1 front.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=391011#post391011

Very nice Markus very nice :D:D:D

MantisMMA
2010.08.22, 10:40 PM
PRE ORDERS ARE BEING TAKEN NOW

http://shop.mantisworx.com/CANTILEVER-F1-DDS-SYSTEM-MW-F1DDS-001.htm

http://shop.mantisworx.com/F1-TRI-LINK-FRONT-SUSPENSION-MWX-TLS-001.htm

MantisMMA
2010.08.31, 03:16 PM
they are almost ready to ship should be out by friday! i will post final version pix tonight or tomorrow.

lfisminiz
2010.08.31, 06:11 PM
Sounds good! Cant wait to see pics of final version.

MantisMMA
2010.09.02, 12:13 PM
Ok final testing went well yesterday. I finally have a test track for at least a month or so. Its new RCP and was stored in a trailer for 2 mths so it was very bumpy and dusty but better than my garage!! its a fairly complicated install so dont be afraid to ask me or my team guys for help. It requires moving the board forward so some soldering must be done as well as some material removal on the chassis and servo cover. i just went through a start to finish install and took pix so before anyone recieves the system i will have an install guide posted on the Mantisworx .com website. Some notes: one of the things i wanted to accomplish with the system is to be able to have enough damping without being forced to use anykind of fluid (mainly because it gets messy) in order to do this the tolerances had to be tight. but if you get on a high grip course you can still use damping grease (5k seemed to work well) but you only have to use a small amount on top of the arms inside the cantilever arms. The system will work with the PN mount without any modifications to the mount at all!! i accomplished this by making the cantilever arm and the pivot two seperate pcs. this also allows you to compensate for the dreaded "tweak" which still exist even with the new SP chassis ( i have one with no tweek and one with .5mm tweek). Once racers start getting these installed i will move this thread to the MantisWorx section. here are a couple pix of the system, more will come with the install guide enjoy! Oh and i have enough material for only five to ship out tomorrow but i finally tracked down more delrin this morning and will have enough to make the rest over the weekend so all pre-orders will be out no later than tuesday since monday is a holiday! so Larry and EMU yours will go out tomorrow!

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/DSC_0099.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/DSC_0100.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/DSC_0113.jpg

lfisminiz
2010.09.02, 03:04 PM
Looks good......im ready.:)

MantisMMA
2010.09.02, 03:35 PM
Installation instructions and more pix.

http://www.mantisworx.com/special-projects/

i think its clear enough to get through, let me know!

doug01n
2010.09.03, 10:29 AM
Looks very good! I'm starting to think about built a F1 racer buying all separate parts (MR-03 board, chassis, dampers, alloy parts...) and this would be one of the parts elected.

Will the cantilever suspension be available for the 03?

MantisMMA
2010.09.03, 11:15 AM
yes testing is done , i have a few minor changes to make and then it will be for sale over the weekend! it works VERY well! you can adjust droop via a set screw and it will work with any shock.

EMU
2010.09.03, 02:48 PM
Ive had good results so far with the proto, cant wait to try the production :)