PDA

View Full Version : Front offset affect over-steering?

Joel2010
2010.08.05, 09:17 PM
Hi,

I have question on front rim offset is this affect over-steering ?
if yes , should i increase the offset or decreasing.

Tks-Joel

color01
2010.08.05, 09:31 PM
As far as I understand it, in most cases, less offset in the front will give you more turn in steering and more steering at low speeds, but less steering at high speeds. Decreasing turn in steering by using a 1mm wider offset front wheel can be done, and should cure your oversteering problem. However for the MR-02 many people will recommend you not do this and instead alter your tire or spring setup, since high offset wheels will reduce steering response and increase the amount of binding/"stiction" in the front suspension. Hope that helps. :)

Joel2010
2010.08.05, 10:01 PM
As far as I understand it, in most cases, less offset in the front will give you more turn in steering and more steering at low speeds, but less steering at high speeds. Decreasing turn in steering by using a 1mm wider offset front wheel can be done, and should cure your oversteering problem. However for the MR-02 many people will recommend you not do this and instead alter your tire or spring setup, since high offset wheels will reduce steering response and increase the amount of binding/"stiction" in the front suspension. Hope that helps. :)

Initially i want to keep using 20N at front tyre on my MR02 but it keep over-steering.

This my set up :

- Enzo body
- 2 degree Knuckle/chamber ATM
- +2 toe ATM
- 20N front tire kyosho
- +2 offset wheel
- green spring kyosho with highest collar .

Any idea to reduce over-steering without changing tire...

tk-Joel

EMU
2010.08.06, 01:19 AM
20n Kyosho front tire on an Enzo would definitely be too much grip. Stiffen the front spring to a yellow, glue up the sidewall and see if it helps.

Joel2010
2010.08.06, 02:34 AM
20n Kyosho front tire on an Enzo would definitely be too much grip. Stiffen the front spring to a yellow, glue up the sidewall and see if it helps.

Thanks EMU, i will use yellow spring.

How about chamber/knuckle and toe .. if any changes needed to make less grip?

color01
2010.08.06, 02:50 AM
Changing those will not completely solve your problem, Joel -- the Kyosho 20N tires are just too soft for the front of a Mini-Z. To make your life easier, try a pair of PN 20's or ATM 40's in the front, they are cheap and will wear much longer than the Kyosho 20's.

Joel2010
2010.08.06, 03:25 AM
Changing those will not completely solve your problem, Joel -- the Kyosho 20N tires are just too soft for the front of a Mini-Z. To make your life easier, try a pair of PN 20's or ATM 40's in the front, they are cheap and will wear much longer than the Kyosho 20's.

I may think about that...

I've got lot new spares 20N when the track was in carpet :D , but now the track is RCP :eek:

Just curious if i can fix it by changing all these things :)

Btw thanks guys for guiding my problems.

Cherub1m
2010.08.06, 08:20 AM
Joel

Try Kyosho 20 wides in the rear and try Kyosho 30 narrows in the front or PN 8 or 6 wide in the rear and PN 20 narrows in the front. Like color01 said, Kyosho 20 in the front is way to soft and will provide to much grip. And remember, slow in right up to the apex then, fast out. A car that is well balance will perform this "Slow in fast out" very well.

And last but not least have fun.

Joel2010
2010.08.06, 11:57 AM
Joel

Try Kyosho 20 wides in the rear and try Kyosho 30 narrows in the front or PN 8 or 6 wide in the rear and PN 20 narrows in the front. Like color01 said, Kyosho 20 in the front is way to soft and will provide to much grip. And remember, slow in right up to the apex then, fast out. A car that is well balance will perform this "Slow in fast out" very well.

And last but not least have fun.

You're right my car was very fast but not balance! :D
I should improve my lap time after all these changes.