PDA

View Full Version : New PN AWD A-Arm (For Reference)

benmlee
2010.08.08, 12:12 PM
This has already been discussed at the AWD, but is posted here for reference.

This is the "can't be done" suspension. A-Arms for front of the AWD. Now both MR02 and AWD has gone away from primative sliding knuckle suspension. The mini-z is looking more like a 1/10 scale touring car.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs040.snc4/34369_408598052706_231472532706_4249427_3484858_n. jpg

Key Features:
-Same width, height and travel as stock suspension.You can still use the nice looking stock wheels that match the AutoScale body.
-Even though width is same as stock suspension, it still have a .655mm off-set "wide track" steering. 3 wider tie-rods are included. Compact design that allows the steering axis to be pushed out by .655mm, but overall width stays the same.
-Unequal length A-Arm with camber gain
-Multitude of adjustment for bump stop, droop, camber gain, static camber and suspension height.

Low profile design. Even at full compression, suspension still does not hit the very low Enzo body.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30323&stc=1&d=1281282582

Just finished building the production unit. The quality of the parts are simply amazing. Is my second build after the prototype, and is still a joy to put it together. You can feel the care that went into the production and design of the suspension when building it. I can tell you countless hours has been spent on this project to make this work. Majority of those hours are volunteer, so you are actually getting more than the price would indicate. All the parts went together smoothly. No sanding or rework needed. Suspension was incredibly smooth.

This is a 'must have' for all Mini-Z enthusiasts!

machgo5go
2010.08.08, 12:49 PM
All I can say is Wow and great write up so far!
Just coincidental that is same body I just picked up to work with my AWD.
Now I am awaits for your Track review on RCP if can remedy traction roll on high grip condition.

Felix2010
2010.08.08, 07:57 PM
Great job on the design and the finished product benmlee. Thank you for the pics and info.:)

SaiTam
2010.08.10, 10:55 AM
How much does the whole thing weight compared to stock setup?

Cherub1m
2010.08.10, 02:04 PM
How much does the whole thing weight compared to stock setup?

My stock 94mm AWD weight 182.8 grams. With the PN A-Arm the weight went up to 191.9 with the first generation SAS (the all plastic one) and the PN A-Arm the AWD weight 196 grams. That's ready to run but no transponder.

SaiTam
2010.08.10, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the info.

JuniorWKR
2010.08.11, 08:57 AM
put together a aarm front on my awd drive last nite with the help of maj...

All i can say is awesome... in the beginning we realized that it was a little to good for the stock rear end... i really hope pn comes out with aarm rear so both front and rear have equal travel and handling characteristics... besides that the kit is amazing... watching maj put it together u appreciate the engineering behind it... after driving it for a bit we started talking about the kyosho sas and wondering how it would compliment the aarm front.. then i remembered that i had a atomic sas pro in my bag (which is the aluminum one not the all plastic one which is ilighter)... so i threw it on tuned it up and the car was amazing... 197 ready to race.... i put a pn 43t motor in it and the car is gonna be a killer on this track... even though its is much heavier i am alot faster with it... i cant wait to get my hands on a kyosho sas as it "seems" to me they corrected some of the flaws and slop of the atomic sas... and i believe its lighter and will also do 90mm where the atomic sas can only do a min of 94mm...

all in all i can honestly say this aarm front is a must have for awd... with aarm front and sas rear its dam hard to flip the car... endless amount of steering, feel and feedback... i am very impressed and happy with the purchase...

so get out and race and support your local hobby shops... AWD is on a comeback...

Cherub1m
2010.08.11, 10:17 AM

All i can say is awesome... in the beginning we realized that it was a little to good for the stock rear end... i really hope pn comes out with aarm rear so both front and rear have equal travel and handling characteristics... besides that the kit is amazing... watching maj put it together u appreciate the engineering behind it... after driving it for a bit we started talking about the kyosho sas and wondering how it would compliment the aarm front.. then i remembered that i had a atomic sas pro in my bag (which is the aluminum one not the all plastic one which is ilighter)... so i threw it on tuned it up and the car was amazing... 197 ready to race.... i put a pn 43t motor in it and the car is gonna be a killer on this track... even though its is much heavier i am alot faster with it... i cant wait to get my hands on a kyosho sas as it "seems" to me they corrected some of the flaws and slop of the atomic sas... and i believe its lighter and will also do 90mm where the atomic sas can only do a min of 94mm...

all in all i can honestly say this aarm front is a must have for awd... with aarm front and sas rear its dam hard to flip the car... endless amount of steering, feel and feedback... i am very impressed and happy with the purchase...

so get out and race and support your local hobby shops... AWD is on a comeback...

I haven't had a chance to try mine at Maj's. What times are you getting at the track?

JuniorWKR
2010.08.11, 10:35 AM
9.3 all day with pn 43t motor and unpeaked half charged practice batteries ( i charged them for the pn race and havent touched them since)... car is on friggin rails.. i love it...

Felix2010
2010.08.11, 01:29 PM

Don't call it a comeback, been here for years...hehe:D:D:D

JuniorWKR
2010.08.11, 01:42 PM
hahaa... nice touch... you would fit in perfect with us...

if pn makes the aarm for the rear it just might make that car comparable to the 03's... for what it will lack in topend speed it will make up for in corner speed....

Old Crow
2010.08.11, 01:46 PM
Anyone willing to list there front end setups? Trying to get a idea for a starting point. Thanks

Felix2010
2010.08.11, 02:14 PM
hahaa... nice touch... you would fit in perfect with us...

if pn makes the aarm for the rear it just might make that car comparable to the 03's... for what it will lack in topend speed it will make up for in corner speed....

Believe me, I wish I lived closer or I'd be a regular @Maj's, no doubt about it:D

lfisminiz
2010.08.11, 04:32 PM

JUNIOR.....glad to hear it. Got mine on to. Waiting for the Kyosho rear....should have by end of week (fingers crossed). Philip did say they do have the rear in the works.

Also, i agree with Carl, anybody that gets the track time care to list how its set-up for a starting point...THANKS in advance.

Ben, masterfull job on this. Hopefully AWD will be more popular again.:)