PDA

View Full Version : PN 50T motor

redneckracer
2010.08.22, 06:42 PM
Hey guys just a FYI for anyone still running a MR-02 AM car . I bought a PN 50t motor for my stock MR-02 AM car and it fryed my broad . I ran the car about ten laps and it stopped working . Guess i should switch to a 2.4 broad .

redneckracer
2010.08.22, 06:44 PM
Does anyone know if i can use a koyosho X speed motor with my AM broad ?

PNracing
2010.08.22, 06:53 PM
Hey guys just a FYI for anyone still running a MR-02 AM car . I bought a PN 50t motor for my stock MR-02 AM car and it fryed my broad . I ran the car about ten laps and it stopped working . Guess i should switch to a 2.4 broad .

What gear ratio you use?

mleemor60
2010.08.22, 07:15 PM
Does anyone know if i can use a koyosho X speed motor with my AM broad ?

Yes. The X-speed will work very well with a stock AM board.

redneckracer
2010.08.22, 08:27 PM
I did gear up alittle , i normally run a 6-8t pinion but the track i was at was large so i put on a 10t pinion and was using my stock spur .

PNracing
2010.08.22, 11:17 PM
I did gear up alittle , i normally run a 6-8t pinion but the track i was at was large so i put on a 10t pinion and was using my stock spur .

10 is over gear, the stock spur is 44, if you run 10/44, it is 4.4 gear ratio, we recommend 50T motor between 4.8 to 5.3, so 9 pinion is the max. That's why you will burn the Fet on 10/44..

Felix2010
2010.08.23, 02:11 AM
Thanks PN for listing the proper gear ratios for your motors, I know you've been doing this for a while and even I've been guilty of not paying attention to them....:o The only thing different with me is I'm a motor-guy and I always use Fetted boards or even crazier stuff that can handle the heat.:) But that doesn't mean the motor can handle the heat from the heavy load.

I for one will pay more attention to recommended gear ratios:D

redneckracer
2010.08.23, 04:41 AM
Hey where do i find this gear ratio chart ? So iam safe to run the PN 50t with my stock AM broad and a 6 - 8 t pinion ?

PNracing
2010.08.23, 09:54 AM
http://pnracing.us/productsphotos/motor-spec-sheet-100713.jpg

Sinister_Y
2010.08.23, 10:21 AM
Check out our website, we have that chart posted in the "tech tips" section.

Regarding the gearing, sorry, I did not check what gearing you were using.

redneckracer
2010.08.23, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all input guys !!! Iam going racing at a friends thursday night , i'll try some different gearing and let you know how it goes .

speedyracer
2013.05.12, 10:45 PM
I over geared and the 50T and now motor is broken, can it be salvaged? How?

unearthed name
2013.05.13, 03:36 AM
depends on what is broken. you need to open the can. if the brush is broken, then change the brush. if the coil is broken, tough luck man.

speedyracer
2013.05.13, 04:13 AM
depends on what is broken. you need to open the can. if the brush is broken, then change the brush. if the coil is broken, tough luck man.

i did open the can, there weren't any tell tale signs of it being broken, it goes as fast a walking kitten, that's probably why u cant really tell if its kaput.

how do you know if the brush is broken? it just looks how it always looks. I have only used it for about 20 battery recharges

I want to learn how to hand-wound an armature, want to make it 45 turn, hopefully it goes faster than before...

speedyracer
2013.05.13, 04:30 AM
actually upon closer inspection i see some burnt out cables, it wasn't there when i first opened it or maybe wasn't that much

chad508
2013.05.13, 09:15 AM
I don't think over gearing is going to hurt the motor. Have you cleaned the motor out lately? Take a pic of the brushes and post them up if you can

speedyracer
2013.05.13, 11:15 AM
I don't think over gearing is going to hurt the motor. Have you cleaned the motor out lately? Take a pic of the brushes and post them up if you can

hi chad

yeah i did clean the motor, lots of dirt there.

I have about 1.5mm of carbon left on the brushes.

I have unwound the cable off the armature. I'm ordering thin wires to wind a 45t motor :D

Jshwaa
2015.02.04, 07:06 AM
I over geared and the 50T and now motor is broken, can it be salvaged? How?

Over-geared, burnt motor, but FET's are fine??

Never heard of that. I believe the motor was close to 'gone' before you set this up. From my experience, it takes a lot of abuse to burn out a motor, in which case something else usually gives first (FET's). The heat required to burn off the enamel from the rotor turns would have been tremendous and should have taken a FET with it. Of course, another circumstance is poor quality motor...

Depending on how the motor went, it could have become more of a current load to the FET's while putting out little to no torque at all (ie shorted rotor turns).

Salvaged? Maybe. Clean everything out and look for damage. Rewiring the rotor is possible, but getting all the turns packed in as it was can be very challenging, and I don't trust hand-wound motors where it was left to the laborer to keep track of the turn counts. Any unbalance is critical.