PDA

View Full Version : MBMZR's Mosler-fest

hrdrvr
2010.08.23, 10:47 AM
So with the arrival of this new body, and some new ideas for paint, we came up with some pretty interesting mt900s. 4 of us are running this body, and all of them have been recently painted with similar styling. I had time last Friday to make a little group photo shoot, so here they are!

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/776d10f9.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/2c5d8d16.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/9f2ae113.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/76a4d8da.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/77e5146e.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/dcb83d27.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/faa49896.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/c6cc27a1.jpg

arch2b
2010.08.23, 01:12 PM
nice collection. personally i like the orange/white/black.

i have to ask, whats the draw of 1/10 typical paint jobs? they are all just so, well, blah (to me). usually crazy bright color combinations, almost always flames, tribal, stars or other streaks of some variety. i never raced larger scales so i have no reference to them other than they all just look sort of silly to me, like 90's fluorescent gi joe toys is the best analogy i can come up with.

hrdrvr
2010.08.23, 04:38 PM
nice collection. personally i like the orange/white/black.

Thanks, but the one with the green front and pink accents is the only one that is mine. The other three are my buddy Eric's. His two sons (10 & 13yo) drive the Orange/Black/White one, and the one with the pink front. The Orange fronted one is his.

i have to ask, whats the draw of 1/10 typical paint jobs?

I have to first answer this question with a question :D

What constitutes as "1/10 typical paint jobs"?

The "Star" idea was stolen right off of a 1/10 scale touring car that Eric saw in a magazine. I modified and embellished it a bit to fit onto a MiniZ, and changed it to more of my typical styling, but otherwise it is somewhat of a 10th scale paint job....I'm just not sure it is "typical" of anything Ive ever seen before.

The other two though are modifications of real scale paint jobs I found on the internet. The green/pink/silver one was a modified version of the Renown MT900, and the orange/white/black was loosely based on a Bosch sponsored MT900, both pictured here (http://www.moslerauto.com/images/Mosler_pack2005.jpg). I couldn't find a good side shot of the Bosch car, so I stole the side design from one of Roger Serafin's pictures on this forum (Ironically the cab scheme is very similar to his as well). I chose brighter colors than the "real" liveries for visibility on the track, and to keep them in line with my other cars.

I want all my cars to be the same (or at least very similar) color scheme, so it is easy to go from car to car while racing. I also try and keep the front and rear of the car contrasting so it is easy to tell which way the car is facing if I am involved in a collision. I used to use a more typical green, but on the videos of my races I could hardly see the cars. I had great runs in the last two years in pan car classes at PN regionals, but can't see my car well enough in the videos to follow myself. Now with the fluorescent green, my car is easy to see form the drivers stand, or on the video playback.

they are all just so, well, blah (to me). usually crazy bright color combinations, almost always flames, tribal, stars or other streaks of some variety.

To say they are 'blah', and then to give a description as you did really makes me question what 'blah' is to you :D

i never raced larger scales so i have no reference to them other than they all just look sort of silly to me, like 90's fluorescent gi joe toys is the best analogy i can come up with.

I've never raced any other scale either, which is maybe why I am questioning your reference to them. I know you said it is a weak analogy, but I must say brightly colored race cars are a lot less silly than brightly colored soldiers, lol :D

EMU
2010.08.23, 05:13 PM
i have to ask, whats the draw of 1/10 typical paint jobs? they are all just so, well, blah (to me). usually crazy bright color combinations, almost always flames, tribal, stars or other streaks of some variety. i never raced larger scales so i have no reference to them other than they all just look sort of silly to me, like 90's fluorescent gi joe toys is the best analogy i can come up with.

I just want to make a small point about the super bright paintjobs. I never really liked them before, I always preferred darker more realistic combinations. After getting a couple painted up, I was hooked. I usually have the front of the body super bright, and the rear a bit darker. This allows me to look further ahead of the body, and still know where the front is, and where its pointed. Being able to see your car, and other people being able to see your car is very important with the size of the cars that we race and the speeds that they travel. The florescent colors catch the eye very quickly. I dont like the entire car to be super bright, just the front and sides. and small trim. Originally I wanted to go with blue/yellow to match my avatar, but the green was much easier to drive. After driving my colors for a couple years, I find it much more difficult to drive an autoscale without looking at the front of it.

Landon, great paintwork ;)

arch2b
2010.08.23, 05:37 PM
trust me, i'm not criticizing the use of bright colors:p you need only look at my team cars to understand.

by typical 1/10 scale i mean go into any rc hobby shop and nearly all the 10th scale stuff looks the same in terms of wild color schemes and resue of maybe a handful of patterns. be it, water drop, flame, tribal, contrasting streaks, you can clearly see there is some style attached to these larger scales that doesn't necessarily translate to smaller scales. in mini-z's in particular, it's typically seen on pan car bodies as this is the most common class that transitions from larger to smaller.

i am assuming that the style and color choices have as much to do with sight and recognition as the concerns we have with mini-z, just scaled up thus much more surface are to cover with whatever. my point, there is clearly a widely accepted theme for larger scales. maybe it's us/mini-z that is abnormal in the wide use and acceptance of replica themes.

blah, is something you see a 100 times in some variation or another. pick a 10th scale car and i bet you can find many others in the immediate area that look very similar if not the same.

i applaud the bold step of painting the rear wheels to match. i actually like that bit of detail a lot.

kromie101
2010.08.23, 07:09 PM
i have never seen another mini-z with stars like that,maybe i did'nt look hard enough. i know the star idea came right of the cover of a rc car action mag. both my boys thought they were awesome,thats all that counts for me. i guess thats why it makes it your opinion. i'm just not a one color kind of guy:). it does help to see on the rcp for us older guys;).

dxm2
2010.08.23, 07:42 PM
Great looking Moslers! I have neither the talent, nor the time for great looking paintjobs like these. I do have to have bright colors though, so my cars are white, yellow or orange and when I was younger, red.

What do you think of the body in general? I think its the best race body I've ever tried. Very low, lots of clearance.

kromie101
2010.08.23, 07:49 PM
in my opinion the car is very stable and easy to drive. it reminds me of a little mclearn on steriods:D. it's a cool looking body. wish they had there own class like pancar:D.

arch2b
2010.08.23, 07:58 PM
Couldn't agree more in that if the kids are happy, thats all that matters. My kids haven't moved past using shapes on their bodies.
I'm not a 1 color guy either. 4 colors on my cars in fact. I need the benefits of bright colors as well. I find it much easier to track on a black track.
There is no disputing the quality of the paint jobs. They make my cars look dull in comparison.

hrdrvr
2010.08.24, 10:05 AM
Landon, great paintwork ;)

I think we are on the same page as far as how to use the look of the car. Ive been doing this (contrasting front and rear) with most of my paint jobs for a few years now, but if I remember correctly I got the idea form a post of yours some years back. I got some sense of deja vu reading this reply ;)

Thanks for the compliment!

trust me, i'm not criticizing the use of bright colors:p you need only look at my team cars to understand.

by typical 1/10 scale i mean go into any rc hobby shop and nearly all the 10th scale stuff looks the same in terms of wild color schemes and resue of maybe a handful of patterns. be it, water drop, flame, tribal, contrasting streaks, you can clearly see there is some style attached to these larger scales that doesn't necessarily translate to smaller scales. in mini-z's in particular, it's typically seen on pan car bodies as this is the most common class that transitions from larger to smaller.

i am assuming that the style and color choices have as much to do with sight and recognition as the concerns we have with mini-z, just scaled up thus much more surface are to cover with whatever. my point, there is clearly a widely accepted theme for larger scales. maybe it's us/mini-z that is abnormal in the wide use and acceptance of replica themes.

blah, is something you see a 100 times in some variation or another. pick a 10th scale car and i bet you can find many others in the immediate area that look very similar if not the same.

i applaud the bold step of painting the rear wheels to match. i actually like that bit of detail a lot.

I guess my lack of knowledge of the 1/10 scale cars is what is making it hard for me to understand your perspective. There have only been two shops around here, and neither of them carry anything for on-road, nor do they carry anything pre-painted.

I can understand that this is probably the stem of the "style" you are referring to though. When I started in MiniZ, I was in awe of the vast amount of realistic models that were available to race. In my time in the hobby I have seen it grow into more of a "Racing" hobby, and my focus has definitely changed from modding/painting, to racing and performance. With more and more larger scale guys coming to this scale paint jobs are probably more and more reflecting what they are used to, and in turn pushing the Z styling in that direction. My progression has followed this, and I prefer the racing style paint jobs, to the classier street looks.

In the end though, I think all of these paint jobs are rooted from ideas taken from real scale race cars. These ideas are used as a base and then transformed into something more custom and driver specific. This is how I get most of my ideas, and most of the things I have seen as unique in RC paint, I have found some variation of in real scale cars while searching for my own ideas.

Thanks for the description of your use of the term 'blah'. After re-reading I can see where you are coming from on that. I have to disagree, as even though the trend is edging towards these styles you describe as 'blah', they are still the minority at the tracks I visit, and more traditional styles and colors are still the 'blah', IMO :D

I almost always do something custom with the wheels if I'm doing a paint job for some one else. Both of the star cars had custom sets. In the end though, what works on the track is what gets run, so it isn't priority. When I was taking these pictures I actually made the joke that none of them have matching wheels front and back, accept the orange and black one. The others have had their wheels swapped around for max performance, and only half of the wheels painted for the body are there, if any.

Great looking Moslers! I have neither the talent, nor the time for great looking paintjobs like these. I do have to have bright colors though, so my cars are white, yellow or orange and when I was younger, red.

What do you think of the body in general? I think its the best race body I've ever tried. Very low, lots of clearance.

Thanks dxm! I think every one has the talent to do jobs like these. It's the time that can stop you from accomplishing them!

I like the body. Two of the cars up there are running the PN LCG 98/102 mount set at 98mm, and two of them are running the PN LCG 94/98 mount, one at 98, and one at 96. Even though all of the cars have very different set ups (stock spring config, outboard springs, upside down king pin mod, etc.) all of them handle very neutrally. The body has balanced overhangs, a low CG, room for wide offsets, and plenty of space for suspension clearance. I'm actually running LM tires under mine in the rear, at 96mm with very little trimming done, and no clearance issues.

There is a flaw in the body. Mine weighs in at 43g painted. This is compared to ~36g Lexus SC430 and 911GT1. I used to have to add a gram or 2 to make the 175g weight limit. Now I am in around 182g, which is a little high for my taste. The layout we are running at our next event (this Saturday) will have a flowy fairly high speed feel to it. There is only one hard transition, and a couple of very slow corners. The rest of the track is high speed, so I think the stability of this body (weight and size) will outweigh the negatives in the slow parts of the infield. I will just have to concentrate on carrying as much speed as I can in those slow sections (to not lose momentum), and maximize the benefit in the fast turns. I guess I wont know til Saturday :D

...wish they had there own class like pancar:D.

Look at those pictures up there! That's like 80% of our crew! They do have their own class, lol.

Couldn't agree more in that if the kids are happy, thats all that matters. My kids haven't moved past using shapes on their bodies.
I'm not a 1 color guy either. 4 colors on my cars in fact. I need the benefits of bright colors as well. I find it much easier to track on a black track.
There is no disputing the quality of the paint jobs. They make my cars look dull in comparison.

Happiness is what we are all in the hobby for! Sometimes a paint job can increase the joy taken from the experience, and that is what is most important!

Thanks for the compliments on quality. I worked hard on these, and the friend who helped me on the "star" jobs worked really hard too. We take pride in our work, and appreciate any and all feedback that is shared.

arch2b
2010.08.24, 12:56 PM
just so you know, i'm an equal opportunist 'blah' person ;)

it's just as blah to hit an event with half a dozen of the same car, same color or racing livery. nothing like being one of say 3 yellow 360 gtc's on the track at the same time:rolleyes: