PDA

View Full Version : Reflex's Proprietary New Motor Pod

Felix2010
2010.10.11, 11:40 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been wondering if anyone has seen or heard anything about the new Reflex Racing Motor Mount? I know it's still early and not available for 2 months or so, but has anyone any info/details they could share about this mount? I've heard that it is nothing like any other mount out there right now... But I have to say, there have been some seriously dope mounts released by differing companies within the last year.

I know how sensitive details can get stolen and copied so I understand the secrecy... But I'm dying to see this motor mount from RR!

Anything? Anyone? It would be so appreciated. THANKS!

EMU
2010.10.11, 11:57 PM
I am sure that Cristian will chime in when he has a chance... although, it may be too early to get pictures since it is not a finished product. I am sure when it gets closer to release, pictures will be available. Possibly after the PNWC, although there are no guarantees.

Prototype pictures are usually not shown for various reasons, but the primary reason is not necessarily due to other people copying the product, but because parts may change a lot before release.

I am really looking forward to get it in my hands as well. From what I have heard, it will be a great mount.

CristianTabush
2010.10.12, 02:06 AM
Thanks EMU, exactly...

Well, just to quench curiosity out there, I do have the first 5 samples in my hands. These will be used at the PNWC finals this year by our team, given that the factory sends me the actual pivoting motor mount (the mount that mounts the motor on to the motor mount- kinda confusing to describe, but ya'll get me! ;) )

Unfortunately we had a miscomunication with the factory and these were not included with the rest of the parts to the mount. We are crossing our fingers that they can get them out to us, THE WEEK of the Worlds.

We have made various revisions to the mount already though, and this might delay the production a little further, but we really want a mount that is designed with the best features of all available mounts on the market included in one package. Our vision of "the pod" is nearly complete. When it is done, it will be a culmination of an array of vast ideas of what an "adjustable" motor pod should do and be according to Reflex. Basically out of every conversation about motor mounts that we have had throughout the years with other racers and team drivers we filtered the ideas and integrated them into our own package. In other words, it was kinda designed by you guys, the racers.

The mount will be upgradable. As a base model pod, you will be capable of increasing wheelbases in 2mm increases, with minimum work to the pod. The design of the mount is structuraly sound, with reinforcements in key stress areas but with a super light-weight design in mind. It is tri shock and DPS readyand other optional parts will be available for the pod to make it even more versatile. Motor orientation is similar to the PN 94-98mm mounts and it has 4 adjustable axle height positions. A couple of other really cool features are integrated into the design of the pod, but won't be released until production is ready to be complete.

We might leak some pics at the Worlds, but we really want to keep the design a little under wraps for a while until we have something a little more finite.

yasuji
2010.10.12, 02:22 AM
:eek:leaked on fb.... better befriend reflex racing!

herman
2010.10.12, 04:11 AM
''gear diff'' - lol
looks cool even though the pics were blurred a bit... has a rear diffuser too..

chad508
2010.10.12, 08:19 AM
pics are blurry but the diff looks odd to me. looks like it has plates like a ball diff. maybe its some type of hybrib.

Felix2010
2010.10.12, 09:04 PM
:eek:leaked on fb.... better befriend reflex racing!

What (blurry)pics are you guys looking at? I checked Reflex's FB, no luck. Where can I see the leaked photo(s)???:D

EMU
2010.10.12, 10:08 PM
What (blurry)pics are you guys looking at? I checked Reflex's FB, no luck. Where can I see the leaked photo(s)???:D

Did you check the wall ;)

skyler
2010.10.18, 04:57 PM
I couldn't find it either. Why doesn't somebody post it HERE. That's what this site IS FOR.

VAzRACER
2010.10.18, 05:41 PM
Here you go!

skyler
2010.10.18, 06:39 PM
Thanks man!

Felix2010
2010.10.18, 07:16 PM
Thank you for posting the sneek peek:) Looking forward to more:D

lfisminiz
2010.10.18, 07:27 PM
Matt, nice blur effect.;):p:D

VAzRACER
2010.10.18, 07:37 PM
CT was the one who took that pic, I just pulled it off the Reflex f******k page.(I think it was from his phone) Its a real teaser shot.:p You cant really get too much info from it but from what I am told it is going to be very versitile and have more adjustment than the other mounts out right now. I will be getting a better look at it once we are at the worlds.:D Maybe even some better pics too.

CristianTabush
2010.10.18, 07:49 PM
Sorry, the pics are kind of reserved for the F******k group. Reason being is we do not want ANYTHING getting out before the mount is finalized. It is getting some revisions done to it. The teaser pic was released for a brief time so that we could show you guys that it's on the way. :)

The pictures have been removed from f******k though. :( We are just trying to keep everything under wraps.

VAzRACER
2010.10.18, 07:54 PM
CT, sorry about that. I did not know you didnt want them posted.

CristianTabush
2010.10.18, 07:57 PM
No worries Matt ;)

herman
2010.10.18, 10:55 PM
any release date? :D

CristianTabush
2010.10.19, 12:15 AM
Not at the time Herman, sorry. It was scheduled for a Mid-to late November release, but due to some changes that we decided to make, it will probably be In the Late December to Late January time frame. We want to get this done right so that the customer does not have to go through the design revisions, which in the long term, will save our customers and us money.

The one thing we can say is that it will be very versatile and at an excellent price point. (32-36 dollar range) You will be able to purchase products that will add to the adjustability of the mount, even though in stock form, it will be as versatile (if not more) than anything available on the market today. It is light weight, simple in design (it has a very low parts count), and very modular. It is our idea of what a racing motor mount should feature.

herman
2010.10.19, 06:31 AM
sounds pretty cool thanks for the info.. :D

Felix2010
2010.10.27, 07:51 PM
Is there any chance CT you could post some new spy shots, just to keep us fiends satisfied for a bit? I missed the FB secret spy-photo, and I know you have to be careful for copycats. But I'm dying to check this thing out. I need a new pod, maybe 2 - If your pod is due January 2011 and I can get a couple snaps of what the jist of the thing is, I'm in:)

Purrty Please??!:D:D:D

EMU
2010.10.27, 08:17 PM
From what I know, the mount may be changed slightly, which is why the pics are not available. Showing the pics of the initial prototype, will not represent how the product will actually be. Maybe after the worlds he can be talked into showing another shot... but definitely not before. We are all swamped with work and travelling.

Skv012a
2010.10.28, 02:52 AM
So if this won't ruin any plans, what wheelbase lengths will this thing support?

CristianTabush
2010.10.28, 04:39 AM
Anything from 94-102 in 2mm increments in stock form. With Optional Parts, you will be able to go in 1mm increments.

Skv012a
2010.10.28, 12:45 PM
Very nice, but lack of 90 will make me pass on this one.

Felix2010
2010.12.09, 05:27 AM
Any updates you can give us CT? Anything that you can tell us? Ever since this project was mentioned by you (Reflex's own motor pod) I have been curious about how you'd design a motor mount:) I'm really looking forward to this badboy...:D

dvsstrike
2010.12.12, 08:04 PM
is the pod taht is pictured on your blog the new one coming out? or is that a modified atomic unit?

EMU
2010.12.12, 08:12 PM
That is not a modified PN or ATM mount in the blog, but it is wearing an ATM diffusor.

dvsstrike
2010.12.12, 08:20 PM
so... is it a reflex prototype?

blt456
2010.12.12, 08:29 PM

Cristian showed me his car at the PNWC and I'm 99% sure that's the Reflex prototype mount.

pedrocamp
2010.12.13, 06:59 AM
I saw one recently as well and am sure it is a Reflex part. Very nice, my next pod...

hrdrvr
2010.12.13, 08:43 AM
The picture in CT's blog is RR's new prototype mount. Im surprised it took some one so long to comment about it here.

It looks great in person, and I would be happy to have it on my car as it stands. CT told me recently though, that there aer a few revisions to be done at the factory. If the revisions come out right, we could see the pod very soon, but if they aren't up to RR quality standards, it could take another run, which could mean more time. I am glad CT is taking the time to get this thing just perfect before releasing it, as I only want to have to buy one (well one for each car, lol). It also means a little bit more time with very limited details. I am sure RR doesnt want a bigger production company jumping onto their ideas before they hit the market!

I have seen, and held the mount in my hand. It IS nice! The simplicity of the design makes it very appealing to me. Wheel base changes will be done with four screws and you wont have to take much of anything apart to do it. No removal of the motor, diff, wheels, or even T-plate.

CristianTabush
2010.12.13, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys.

Yes, the design is complete. I am awaiting confirmation from the factory so that we can hopefully have it out by late January. If not, due to lunar new year, it will probably be March :(

GIHOSU
2010.12.13, 07:26 PM

Yes, it is. I can confirm that for you. As stated, it is still a work in progress. The prototype has proven itself in my eyes.

Felix2010
2011.01.09, 04:05 PM
Hello CT/ReflexRacing,

I saw that on the RR website the RR MR03 replica chassis now lists the new "Reflex 94-96-98 motor pod" on the spec sheet - Is this badboy motor mount available soon? I understand the need to keep new products private, but I am really itchin' to check this pod out. If it is available soon, when can you post some pics and what-not? Thanks! Looking forward to it:D

CristianTabush
2011.01.13, 11:06 AM
The pod will be available soon. I don't have a date yet, but the pre-orders will go on the site at the end of the month. Due to Chinese New Year Holiday, there will be a slightly longer than usual production turn-around.

The pictures are on the blog at the site.

mini-z
2011.01.30, 05:18 PM
Is this badboy motor mount available soon?

The Reflex Racing Mini-Z Adjustable Wheelbase Motor Mount is now available for pre-order in all colors in the Shop (http://shop.tinyrc.com/recent_products.php). :) Note that the date listed is just a placeholder pending a more accurate ETA from Reflex. :)

Kevin S.
2011.04.13, 03:44 PM
Hey CT, do you have an update as to when the Adjustable Wheelbase Motor Mounts are going to be released?

CristianTabush
2011.04.13, 04:59 PM
Soon. Don't have an exact date yet, but should be in about a week. DO NOT HOLD ME TO THIS, PLEASE. The factory is ready when they feel like it ;)

Kevin S.
2011.04.13, 05:01 PM
Soon. Don't have an exact date yet, but should be in about a week. DO NOT HOLD ME TO THIS, PLEASE. The factory is ready when they feel like it ;)

No problem Cristian...I can't wait to try it out

Mrs Mini-Z
2011.04.25, 10:55 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that the Reflex Motor Mount is now in stock and ready to ship at shop.tinyrc.com in all three colors. They're featured on the home page (http://shop.tinyrc.com/), or find them here (http://shop.tinyrc.com/search.php?mode=search&by_title=Y&by_shortdescr=Y&by_fulldescr=Y&by_sku=Y&extra_fields[1]=Y&including=all&substring=reflex+racing+motor+mount). :)

Mrs Mini-Z
2011.04.25, 01:04 PM
Also forgot to mention that we DO have the screws to go with the Motor Mount, so everything will ship out as a complete package. :)

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Reflex Motor Mount is now in stock and ready to ship at shop.tinyrc.com in all three colors. They're featured on the home page (http://shop.tinyrc.com/), or find them here (http://shop.tinyrc.com/search.php?mode=search&by_title=Y&by_shortdescr=Y&by_fulldescr=Y&by_sku=Y&extra_fields[1]=Y&including=all&substring=reflex+racing+motor+mount). :)

Old Crow
2011.04.27, 08:31 AM
I know, it's not good enough that you just released a new product, I'm asking about option/upgrades for it already. Anytime frame for the part(s) so we can do 98mm with this? Thanks.

hrdrvr
2011.04.27, 08:41 AM
I know, it's not good enough that you just released a new product, I'm asking about option/upgrades for it already. Anytime frame for the part(s) so we can do 98mm with this? Thanks.

You can do 98mm with it now. Slide it back a set of holes just like the typical 94MM mounts that are already out. From my understanding, you can run 94-100 in 2mm increments with the kits as it is sold. At 100 you may not have much reverse travel on the damper post...similar to running 96 with a 94mm damper plate.

Old Crow
2011.04.27, 09:15 AM
Ok, does the motor laydown at that point then?

What were the other parts spoken about before then?

Thanks.

VAzRACER
2011.04.27, 09:27 AM
The motor stays in the same position no matter what wheelbase you put the mount at. The other parts are going to allow wheelbase adjustments in 1mm increments, 95,97,99.

Old Crow
2011.04.27, 04:20 PM
I see, thanks Matt. I was under the impression that to go 98mm+ other parts would follow the initial release.

mugler
2011.04.28, 05:20 AM
got mine last week and it looks sweet, got a question, are we supposed to trim away that body rest knob behind the battery box on driver's side for clearance?

VAzRACER
2011.04.28, 09:01 AM
^I trimmed mine. I've had to trim them for other mounts in the past and haven't seen any issues with cutting it off. You may also have to trim the body clip on that side aswell, it depends on the body.

hrdrvr
2011.04.28, 10:26 AM
I'm exciting reading all the new posts about this thing. Mine should be here today or tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it shipped Monday!!

arch2b
2011.04.29, 08:56 PM
me too. so much so that i just ordered one :p

blt456
2011.05.01, 01:03 AM
I got to see this mount today. A local purchased one and showed me. I think the design is good except for the damper arm extending to the left. At 94mm, you have to cut the little chassis tab off AND cut half of the left body clip off. Every body tried with this pod needed to have the left body clip shaved in half. Even when the body is taped, it can still pop up in a crash.

Needless to say, I'm truly disappointed with this product. I got to see Cristian's prototype at the PNWC and I wish that was the production motor mount. I waited over 6 months to buy this and I can't even run my favorite wheel base properly. I resorted to just buying the PN v3 with the longer damper arm.

Cristian, please don't take this as an insult. I am just posting a flaw un one of your products. I've had good luck with everything else I buy from Reflex.

arch2b
2011.05.01, 09:57 AM
i plan to run 94mm.... not exactly great news for me. the plastic nub, no one cares about. drastically cutting the body clip is another thing for me. there is a difference in 'trim' and 'cut in half'.

chad508
2011.05.01, 10:06 AM
i got this mount installed and ran last week and it is great. as far as cutting the body clip not all bodies will require this. i an running this mount on the sc430 and i did not have to cut the clip. i know even on the new pn pod i had to cut some of my clips to keep it from hitting. it has yet to cause a problem with body pops, but i do use other methods to keep that from happening. as far as im concerned it is another great product from reflex that is hands down better than the others on the market.

VAzRACER
2011.05.01, 10:47 AM
I got to see this mount today. A local purchased one and showed me. I think the design is good except for the damper arm extending to the left. At 94mm, you have to cut the little chassis tab off AND cut half of the left body clip off. Every body tried with this pod needed to have the left body clip shaved in half. Even when the body is taped, it can still pop up in a crash.

Needless to say, I'm truly disappointed with this product. I got to see Cristian's prototype at the PNWC and I wish that was the production motor mount. I waited over 6 months to buy this and I can't even run my favorite wheel base properly. I resorted to just buying the PN v3 with the longer damper arm.

Cristian, please don't take this as an insult. I am just posting a flaw un one of your products. I've had good luck with everything else I buy from Reflex.

Can I ask what body you are using? I have put the F430 and Lexus 430 on mine at 94mm and have not had to trim anything. The only body I have had to trim was the F360 Modena (not the same as the GTC) but the clip on that car is for some reason twice as thick as others. As far as cutting the post on the chassis is concerned, I have been trimming mine for a long time to fit other mounts and body pops have never been more of a problem for me than anyone else. I practiced all day Friday at Majs with my F360 (the clip is cut all the way down and dremeled to fit) and even with no tape I never once had the body pop up.

The mount you saw at the PNWC only had two things different on it vs the final version, none of which would effect the body fitment anymore than the final version. There were two guides added to the T-plate mount to keep the plate from treawking on the mount and two guides added on the left side of the damper arm mount to keep the damper arm from moving. Other than that the mount you have is identical to what you saw a few months ago.

EMU
2011.05.01, 11:00 AM
To add, the guides on the left side of the arm do not take up more space than the original arm on the prototype version. The arm now tapers into the guides, where the prototype is the same thickness all the way down. Clearance should not have changed at all from the prototype. I have test fit a few bodies on mine (although it is setup as a Pan Car right now). Only on bodies with thicker/longer body clips did I have clearance issues with the side clip. Many of my body clips are already trimmed for AWD use. Which trims the same left clip.

arch2b
2011.05.01, 11:14 AM
does the clip issue affect the f430 and or 360 gtc?

i too have been cutting off the nubs for years.

EMU
2011.05.01, 11:22 AM
I dont have a GTC, but 430 very little if at all. I tapered mine slightly, but as Matt said, you shouldnt have to.

The 350Z JGTC has huge clips, and you would have to cut those down... That body is also prone to body pops regardless if clips are cut down or not. Cut down clips should not increase body pops... A little blue teachers sticky putty (forgot the official name for it) on the clips will help them stay put better as well...

arch2b
2011.05.01, 11:35 AM
it's not body pops, it's when the clip gets jammed in the battery tray and or other areas vs. simply getting knocked out. this always takes marshalls longer to fix. taping the body doesn't mean it won't happen with a cut down clip either.
to be clear, this is not a big deal to begin with. you often have to cut clips for the awd just to get them to fit. the racer is just more finicky with cut clips.

VAzRACER
2011.05.01, 11:52 AM
To add, the guides on the left side of the arm do not take up more space than the original arm on the prototype version. The arm now tapers into the guides, where the prototype is the same thickness all the way down. Clearance should not have changed at all from the prototype. I have test fit a few bodies on mine (although it is setup as a Pan Car right now). Only on bodies with thicker/longer body clips did I have clearance issues with the side clip. Many of my body clips are already trimmed for AWD use. Which trims the same left clip.

Thanks for adding that, I thought about editing that in there after I had walked away earlier.;)

does the clip issue affect the f430 and or 360 gtc?

i too have been cutting off the nubs for years.

Mike G ran the 360 GTC a lot at the NJ race. I dont remember if he had to cut the clip or not but I will ask. I dropped him off at 2am and he said he was planning on sleeping into the pm today so it might still be too early to call. :rolleyes:

geeunit1014
2011.05.01, 01:43 PM
Thanks for adding that, I thought about editing that in there after I had walked away earlier.;)

Mike G ran the 360 GTC a lot at the NJ race. I dont remember if he had to cut the clip or not but I will ask. I dropped him off at 2am and he said he was planning on sleeping into the pm today so it might still be too early to call. :rolleyes:

You dont need to cut the clip for the 360 GTC ;)

blt456
2011.05.01, 01:43 PM
I only heard it would affect other bodies, so I'm not totally sure if it's true.
I did get to drive the car and when you set it down, it only has about 1mm of forward motion before hitting the left body clip. He had to shave it a lot of then it started to clear perfectly.

Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r198/blt45/IMG_0097.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r198/blt45/IMG_0102.jpg

Just to be sure this wasn't an error, I tried my body. He runs the lexus sc430 test car and the clips are lowered about 2mm or so. I run a lexus white body and the clips are lowered 1mm. When I put my body on his car, the left portion of the motor mount still hit the body clip.

When pushing the car down, the top part of the damper arm on the left side hits the back of the body clip, which is why he shaved it flush to the piece that goes in the chassis. When it moved left to right, the screw head still touched, which forced him to shave it slightly downwards resulting in the "arrow" look.

chad508
2011.05.01, 01:57 PM
it may be the angle but it looks like you are running a very soft t plate causing the pod to droop. is this the case

blt456
2011.05.01, 02:10 PM
That isn't the issue. He is running a medium Reflex t plate with a top shock to keep the chassis level. Another note:

We had a long discussion on the mount. He told me when he put on the mount, the car started to act funny when driving into most of the corners of the track. He then found out the left side of the mount was hitting his body clip.

He also did mention that prior to using the new Reflex mount, his car had the PN v3 (?) mount. His car ran fine before and had no issues whatsoever.

VAzRACER
2011.05.01, 02:21 PM
When I mounted the Lexus last weekend I did have to cut a corner off like you did but for me it was the top corner of the clip and not the bottom. I didnt have ti trim anything off the length. My motor mount bottoms out against the top of the chassis before anything else touches and when the cars on the ground the chassis bottoms out before the mount touches the top of the chassis.

The mount drive different that the PN mounts I had. I think this is mainly due to the weight. Its just something to adjust your setups to. I can assure you the mount works just fine once you get adjusted to it, there were multiple Reflex drivers on the podium at yesterdays race using this mount. Most of them had only had it for less than seven days.

blt456
2011.05.01, 02:27 PM
When I mounted the Lexus last weekend I did have to cut a corner off like you did but for me it was the top corner of the clip and not the bottom. I didnt have ti trim anything off the length. My motor mount bottoms out against the top of the chassis before anything else touches and when the cars on the ground the chassis bottoms out before the mount touches the top of the chassis.

He dremeled both of the corners at an angle on top and bottom of the clip.
It's kind of hard to see but I think the bottom part wasn't needed.

The longer, thin part that does not insert into the chassis was in the way. Near the top of the left part of the damper arm would always hit the extended part of the clip.

No matter what, the suspension would only have like 1mm back and forth motion. After shaving the extended part of the clip, the back and forth motion was normal again, the same as my pod (v3 with top shock. tons of clearance).

He did mention using tape. After running the car with full body clip modifications, the car started to work good again. The body was prone to popping up on the left side. I accidentally t-boned his car with mine and the side of his body popped up (the crash was very slow, just a slight tap). This worries me, but most locals already use tape to hold the body down.

I don't have an issue with the tape personally, but my body clips haven't been cut. This body and one of my old 350z's came from Brian Ma, who I think cut the side clips for his MRCG. Whenever I ran my 350z and even this lexus, the bodies still pop up on the sides with tape. I've seen this happen to someone else too, who now owns the old 350z (same body clip mod as the one above).

The reason I bring up the last blurb is because if a slight tap can pop up the side of the body in stock 80t, I'm scared what could happen in mod.

chad508
2011.05.01, 02:49 PM
i would not use tape on the body it does not allow the body to float on the chassis. i use the blue tacky putty that teaches use to attach posters to the wall. i attach the body the push a small piece between the clip and chassis. it works perfect and does not make a mess. i have been using the same pea sized piece since the capital challenge and have had not one body pop.

Rune
2011.05.02, 12:32 PM
Have been using this mount for some time, and i have not had any problems with it hitting the body clips. In 94 I have only used it with the 360GTC.

It really looks as the rear end on the car in the picture has a lot of rear droop.

In 96 it is very good space for any body you throw at it.

As for handling. I can definitely say that it changes the handling, but in a good way:D

CristianTabush
2011.05.02, 04:08 PM
This is what happens when I don't get a tutorial out on time. So sorry,

Yes, the clips must be trimmed on some bodies, and cut to fit properly in others as well. I can see how this is an inconvenience, however , we cut arm tabs to put PN and Reflex front ends on our cars, but we complain when you have to trim you body a bit? We will make some revisions for our next production, and we will look into minimizing this a bit. Unfortunately it is part of the compromise of the design. We can however, make the trimming necessary less if that's the case.

In the meantime, a little trimming is necessary to run certain bodies at 94mm. (Mostly just the Lexus SC430) Using tape on the body (as any serious racer should do, before EVERY RACE) will prevent it from popping off the chassis. I ran at the Worlds, the Capital Challenge and other miscellaneous races, and not 1 time did my body pop off or fit improperly. Neither did ANY OTHER team driver, at any of the events they have attended with it.

On the other hand, if it bothers you to trim your body clips to make your car fit this pod, then you might not want to run it in 94mm, Maybe just hold for the 95mm plates and run your can in 95+ wheelbases.

blt456
2011.05.02, 07:17 PM
Hey Matt, can you post a pic of what you did to your body clip? Just to compare to this other body.

VAzRACER
2011.05.02, 08:40 PM
Hey Matt, can you post a pic of what you did to your body clip? Just to compare to this other body.

Here are some pics of the body and some of the mount for kicks. I just realized that the other Lex 430 body I have that was used by Mike G this past weekend was not trimmed and it fit just fine on his chassis with this mount at 94mm. It obviously didnt cause any issues for him, finished second in 50t and missed the hot lap by .001 sec.:eek:

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae344/wardmwa/DSC_0477.jpg
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae344/wardmwa/DSC_0475.jpg
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae344/wardmwa/DSC_0468.jpg
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae344/wardmwa/DSC_0466.jpg
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae344/wardmwa/DSC_0467.jpg

Old Crow
2011.05.03, 03:17 PM
Being that the motor at longer lengths will not lay down, is this still a better mount at 98mm+, then a mount that will lay the motor down? Does this mount have such good Center of Gravity, that it is still the best at the longer lengths?

chad508
2011.05.03, 04:14 PM
i always felt this style mount gave better rear grip compared to one that lays the motor flat.

VAzRACER
2011.05.03, 06:17 PM
A higher CG can actually be good for longer wheebase cars/bodies. With a longer wheelbase typically you loose a little of the steering input vs a 94mm car. A higher CG will help compensate for this by adding a little more roll to the chassis thus giving the feel of a shorter wheelbase car.

CristianTabush
2011.05.03, 06:20 PM
Chad answered the exact thing I would say. The super low CG mounts tend to generate less grip. Ours is optimized for cg vs versatility. It does happen to be coincidental that most of us prefer the slightly higher cg mounts.

One of the updates we have coming for the mount, rather "add-on" is a damper arm that will allow you to run the Tri shock much lower. This will be a super great set-up for low Profile 98mm Bodies and 102 LM that want to run a tri-shock.

We are also working on an L-shaped damper arm so that people don't have to cut their clips. These will be optional parts for those that prefer no to cut their clips as much. We still believe the benefit of a 2 sided attachment is better than the inconvenience of cutting the side clips. The mounts will continue to have the current damper arm in future production runs.

Lastly, 95mm and 97mm plates are in the process of prototyping. These should also be available soon.

Old Crow
2011.05.03, 07:12 PM
Thank you for the feedback and information. It sounds like a preferance thing, but a somewhat proven fact. May sound odd, but being around this long enough, makes sense.

mugler
2011.05.04, 03:38 AM
As for handling. I can definitely say that it changes the handling, but in a good way:D

Can you elaborate on this? in what way(s) are the handling characteristics better & different compared to other mounts?

Rune
2011.05.04, 05:54 AM
Can you elaborate on this? in what way(s) are the handling characteristics better & different compared to other mounts?

Weight! Only 5 grams with all supplied hardware. This gives you a lot of options regarding setup.

How the handling changes will of course depend on the rest of the setup, but less rear weight, will change your setup.

In the long run I also think it is much more consistent than some other mounts. The fact that the damper mount are bolted on both sides, gives no chance for misalignement.

The best parts of this mount are still the adjustability it gives, both as stock, and with future options.

tr1kstanc3
2011.05.04, 03:58 PM
I'm planning on replacing the stock screws that come with the motor mount with titanium screws. Does anybody know which sizes I will need to complete the install? Looking to order online and not near my kit.

Christopher Rc
2011.05.04, 04:58 PM
I'm planning on replacing the stock screws that come with the motor mount with titanium screws. Does anybody know which sizes I will need to complete the install? Looking to order online and not near my kit.

you will need five M2x4mm screws
two M2x4mm countersunk screws
one M2x3mm countersunk screw
one M2x6mm screw,

or you can buy 10pcs of PN M2x8 (and 10 countersunk M2x6) titanium screws, and modify them to the right lenght (wich i did ;) )

Z-inim
2011.05.04, 09:27 PM
Anything from 94-102 in 2mm increments in stock form. With Optional Parts, you will be able to go in 1mm increments.

I think Im missing something... how do I make the mount 98mm? I can only see 94-96 possibility. Are there instructs. I didnt get any. :confused:

CristianTabush
2011.05.04, 09:28 PM
Just move the mount back on the chassis 1 hole. Do this when you are running it in 94mm.

Z-inim
2011.05.04, 10:08 PM
Just move the mount back on the chassis 1 hole. Do this when you are running it in 94mm.

I see now... I use a Q-tec plate and that was throwing me. (they cant be moved back one hole) It looks like your new pod has to be used with a standard tee plate.
I switched back to a pn plate and 98mm became obvious, ill just need to choose or use my pod on a new build.

EMU
2011.05.04, 11:21 PM
If you want to do 98mm with a Qteq t-bar, you would have to use the 102mm version (the standard one is 98mm), like what I run on my LM ;) I hope to be at Cruizin Saturday, and can try to get you set up if I make it.

JohnnyOTS
2011.05.04, 11:30 PM
If you want to do 98mm with a Qteq t-bar, you would have to use the 102mm version (the standard one is 98mm), like what I run on my LM ;) I hope to be at Cruizin Saturday, and can try to get you set up if I make it.

Can it be used for 102mm? I thought it required aftermarket whizzies that weren't out yet. (Clearly I'm still working on my mini-z-ology degree.)

CristianTabush
2011.05.04, 11:49 PM
http://www.reflexracing.net/Motor_mount_install.asp

It's finally up. Sorry for the delay. Check them out and you'll see how the mount is meant to be used.

Yes, the mount can be used in 102, but you must have an extra long damper plate, since ours will only stretch out to 98mm with this pod. With one of the optional damper arms, you will be able to use a standard 98mm damper plate to achieve this wheelbase.

EMU
2011.05.04, 11:55 PM
Can it be used for 102mm? I thought it required aftermarket whizzies that weren't out yet. (Clearly I'm still working on my mini-z-ology degree.)

I was referring to the Qteq t-bar. Since this is a 94mm mount, using the 98mm t-bar will net 94mm, using the 102mm t-bar will net 98mm wheelbase. Hope this clarifies things.

The reference to my LM, was because the poster races at a local track, and I wanted to specify the difference between the t-bars.

As CT stated, it is compatible with 102mm. However, you will need to use a 102mm damper plate if you dont want to wait for the option arm that CT mentioned. This would not be compatible for a tri-shock at 102mm until the option arm becomes available, unless you do a home-brew DIY setup.

CT, I look forward to the optional arm to use this mount in an LM configuration... although I may have to run it at 100mm (102mm t-bar, with the 96mm config on the mount), since Qteq does not make a 104mm t-bar...

Z-inim
2011.05.05, 09:04 AM

Thanks Eugene...I have the pod installed now with a standard T-plate. Im on the fence as to whether Ill buy another Qtec that will fit the new config(even though I really like them).
This is on my 2wd, and currently I am not running it anyway.
Hope to see you saturday! :cool:

blt456
2011.05.05, 07:23 PM
Just saw the article on installing the mount, looks good.

Sorry Cristian and team for the posts. I thought this was a flaw, but it turned out that I'm probably wrong.

The car isn't even mine and I don't really know what the ride height is. I only got to drive it for a few minutes and take a quick glance at how it sits with batteries in and body on.

Z-inim
2011.05.06, 12:02 AM
http://www.reflexracing.net/Motor_mount_install.asp

It's finally up. Sorry for the delay. Check them out and you'll see how the mount is meant to be used.

Thanks for posting the instructs. I have it installed now and its as nice as i was led to believe it was! ... if not better! Great work...as usual. :cool:

VAzRACER
2011.05.06, 12:42 AM
Sorry Cristian and team for the posts. I thought this was a flaw, but it turned out that I'm probably wrong.

Its no problem, I'm sure you asked a question others needed an answer to as well. Things like this need to be put out in the open so everyone knows how things work and what needs to be done to make them work properly. You were not wrong, you just didnt know how it works, but now you do.;)

CristianTabush
2011.05.06, 01:13 AM
Luke, no sweat. It was my fault for taking so long releasing the tutorial. Believe me you were not the only one comenting on these issues.

On our defense, it's been super busy with product releases and manufacturing in full swing. We had so many pre-orders to fill and then the screw issue, which we had to handle it was nuts...

I am glad you guys are liking it. Believe me when I say that the possibilities of add-ons and the versatility of this mount will make it a must have for racers. We are not claiming this to be the fastest or the best mount, but it is as good as the other ones, it's very practical and has room for upgrades for those that like to tinker...

machgo5go
2011.05.06, 07:04 AM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/F330GTCREFLEX001Medium.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/F330GTCREFLEX002Medium.jpg
After hacking the chassis and body in same way before instructed by trial & error for past weeks in 94 mm, I finally gave up and start fresh with a new chassis & make it 96 mm. IMO 96 mm works the best on my chassis & body set up.

tr1kstanc3
2011.05.06, 12:15 PM
you will need five M2x4mm screws
two M2x4mm countersunk screws
one M2x3mm countersunk screw
one M2x6mm screw,

or you can buy 10pcs of PN M2x8 (and 10 countersunk M2x6) titanium screws, and modify them to the right lenght (wich i did ;) )

Thanks for the info!

Felix2010
2011.05.07, 12:02 AM
I am glad you guys are liking it. Believe me when I say that the possibilities of add-ons and the versatility of this mount will make it a must have for racers. We are not claiming this to be the fastest or the best mount, but it is as good as the other ones, it's very practical and has room for upgrades for those that like to tinker...

I like to tinker:D It is pretty cool to see the RR motor mount on peoples' cars, so much different than the usual PN, Atomic, R246, 3R, etc., etc. motor mounts that we all know of... Not that Atomic and PN have been slacking with all their new motor mount models and updates either:)... But it must feel pretty good CT - To see people with full RR-Spec cars out there... :D Great job and I am looking forward to seeing what upgrades and tweaks this RR motor mount has for us tuners...:D:D:cool:

Thanks for the tutorial BTW, CT!:D

d1nzfe
2011.05.07, 11:42 PM
will the diffuser be available for sale separately later?

unearthed name
2011.11.07, 11:34 PM
hi chris,

when will you upload the instruction for the motor mount again? just want to make sure everything i do is right.

arch2b
2011.12.16, 11:34 PM
any chance the 945 motor pod will be sold in black?

CristianTabush
2011.12.17, 04:14 PM
Sorry no black. Not enough demand to do so.

Guinness
2011.12.18, 06:01 PM
what's the difference between RX1190 and RX1177? is the 945 just the newer version?

EMU
2011.12.18, 08:23 PM
The 945 is a new mount, which is adjustable in a 1mm increase, where the prior mount was adjustable in a 2mm increase when reversing the t-plate adapter. This gives a much more subtle increase in wheelbase. There also is no issue with the side clip of the body hitting the motormount and needing to be shaved at 94mm like there was in the previous mount. I mainly use the AWB mount at 96mm. But I love the new mount at 94mm. There are a few subtle revisions that have been made which really make this mount the best mount for 94mm, and the only mount that can do 95mm on the market.

tr1kstanc3
2011.12.18, 08:44 PM
Is there an ETA on when the 945 mount is coming out? I placed a preorder and was wondering how long the wait will be. :D

Thanks!

CristianTabush
2011.12.19, 12:45 AM
I don't have a specific date. But soon. Should be this month.

BrandonGR
2012.01.21, 08:41 AM
Haven't heard about the 945 pods in a while. Are they still shipping in January?

CristianTabush
2012.01.21, 10:54 PM
Yes, these are shipping this next week. They are on the way to us as we speak. They should be here like Tuesday.

r46
2012.02.18, 07:16 AM
just got RX1177, i'm running 98mm, removed standard pod but left atomic t plate using thinking it would have been fine with RR mount but it isn't, wheelbase became shorter hamping shell fitment, another issue i see is unable to use current offset rims +3 on rear as wheel exceed arch with mount :confused: have go down to +2 if get it to line up as 98mm is that right?
help :o

unearthed name
2012.02.18, 08:20 AM
Uuuh, you use mm t-plate? You probably need to move the t-plate by one hole. You're having either a 94 mm wheel base or 96 mm currently.

r46
2012.02.18, 08:45 AM
using gtr F1 & lambo lp 670-4 yes my car mm, car is 98mm, +3 rear wheels with stock motor mount all is well, moving t plate then the wheelbase too long instead of wheels being fouled at arch by clip its fouled at rear of arch as well as tire scrubbing on upper of arch too,
theres no sweet spot in centre, is there an specfic t plate to use with mount for 98mm?

Rune
2012.02.18, 10:27 AM
With motormount in 94 config, you use a regular MM T-plate, mounted one pos rear on the chassis.

Make sure that you have a MM type T-plate.

unearthed name
2012.02.18, 10:46 AM
Then you need to reverse your motormount t-plate holder.

r46
2012.02.18, 11:14 AM
t plates using are atomic SSG MM

cheers for tips shall give them a go now

thanks

r46
2012.02.18, 08:46 PM
unearthed name & Rune thanks so much you guys rock ;)
Now set up right :p

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03207.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03211.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03212.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03213.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03209.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03208.jpg

unearthed name
2012.02.18, 09:08 PM
yaaaaaay. good one mate

EMU
2012.02.19, 01:57 AM
Just wanted to mention that I put the 945 mount through hell today (6 hour endurance race, plus a normal race night), and it gave me no problems whatsoever. Put up some very fast laptimes as well. It has to be the best 94mm mount that I have used to date...

tr1kstanc3
2012.02.19, 03:48 PM
Any tips on how to get the white plastic bearing holders into the mount? It looks like the plastic is a bit over sized.

CristianTabush
2012.02.19, 04:28 PM
Make sure you use a hobby knife to clean off any of the burs off. After that, try to press into the holder to just locate it in the hole and then just use either a hard, flat surface or a set of pliers to "press" it in.

We made them a bit tighter since the previous version some people reported a loose fit.

Felix2010
2012.02.19, 04:36 PM
Make sure you use a hobby knife to clean off any of the burs off. After that, try to press into the holder to just locate it in the hole and then just use either a hard, flat surface or a set of pliers to "press" it in.

We made them a bit tighter since the previous version some people reported a loose fit.

CT - I think it is great you taking the time to pay attention to details like the fitment of the delrin bearing carriers on your RR 945 motor pod. They are soo critical and I hate it when they are even a little loose. Good call making the bearing carriers a little more tight:)

tr1kstanc3
2012.02.19, 04:55 PM
I used fine sandpaper to clean any burs in the plastic and gently sanded down the entire outer surface of the carrier while test fitting. Works great now.

EMU
2012.02.20, 10:52 AM
I like that the bearing carriers are a little tight. As stated, a little knife/file work and they go in nice and snug. There is no play once they are installed, at all.

r46
2012.02.29, 06:19 PM
tried to install my chilli but its a no go, so wondering does RR 945 accept chilli/stock R motors?
Also can we buy motor plate separately?

thanks

CristianTabush
2012.02.29, 09:31 PM
How are you having trouble fitting it? What is not fitting? So far, all the motors we have tested have fit on the car.

The motor plate is not currently available separately, but we are looking into getting some made.

r46
2012.02.29, 11:04 PM
I'll have a few plates when available :) so motor swaps be done within min or so.
the chilli can face tat short compared to 130 atomic & pn cans which fit superb :cool: but with chilli the plate pulls away from can when tighten up plate retainer screw, so attempted to fit with screw loose then realised live terminal obstructed by pod an shaft. So have to get either T2 or Z2 as better fit with pod.

chad508
2012.03.01, 12:22 AM
sounds like either the motor can is warped or if im reading this wrong could be the screw your using is to long and bottoming out on the can. not sure if you mean the screw that mounts the plate to the pod or the 2 screws that mount plate to pod

r46
2012.03.01, 09:03 AM
using correct screw its the stumpy countersunk, pod ain't M1 friendly compared to 130 motors due to end ball an wire location. What motor/s using?

chad508
2012.03.01, 09:38 AM
any way you can post a pic

r46
2012.03.01, 11:09 AM
race meet this weekend so after that i'll be pulling out motor for clean up, from which i'll try chilli install again with pics ;)

r46
2012.03.06, 05:56 PM
mount works tremendously thanks CT ;) lap times have became quickier motor runs cooler.
I've tried install of chilli with plate screw loose an positive outcome so i'll drop some threadlock onto screw so won't back off anymore (hopes meshing be ok time shall tell)

plate mounted on pn 70
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03267.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03268.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03266.jpg

static fit onto chilli
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03273.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03279.jpg

with screw tightened
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03277.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03278.jpg

r46
2012.03.06, 05:59 PM
loosened plate screw & removed + wire from terminal so able to install motor all went ok thus far

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03286.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03283.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03284.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/triks75/DSC03285.jpg