PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo 5

rensuchan
2010.10.13, 01:28 PM
Does anyone have PS3 / Have this reserved? We're gonna have to get some net races on once it comes out!

I have the collectors edition reserved: http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5232.html

November 2! Only 3 weeks to go!

soulstice
2010.10.13, 02:28 PM
I didn't even know about this but since I do now, i have one reserved.

Ironically I don't even have a PS3 at the moment. Got one when it first came out hoping to play the then "just around the corner" GT5. Just around the corner turned into years and I sold the machine. Looks like I'll need to pick one up again now that it's a lot cheaper.

Hrm, guess I also need to find a Logitech G27. :)

rensuchan
2010.10.13, 03:35 PM
...... http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/13/gran-turismo-5-is-delayed-again/

How ironic that this happens the same day I make this post.

EMU
2010.10.13, 04:16 PM
Kind of rediculous this day and age. They could have released something a while back, and continued to expand and fine tune it when the sections were ready. At least they would have the core game available and let its target audience know that they are still there...

Its been years that we have been waiting, not just months... and I am starting to like Forza more and more. The one thing that GT5 will definitely have over Forza, is using Logitech wheels. But do I really want to buy a PS3 just for the game? The online interface has become crap in almost all new games, so I hope that at least GT5 has done it right. I hate the hopper system used for Forza, COD MW2, and the voting system used in Halo Reach is equally aggravating because you almost always play the same maps over and over. I want to do a practice session, with tuning ability, qualify, and race... not just do a 3 lap sprint. I think that the average race should be about an hour long. Not done in 5 minutes. By the time the tires reach optimum temps, the race is over.

I guess I am going to wait until the game is out before I decide if I want to get a PS3 just to play it... I can still use my Fanatec Turbo-S wheel with the PS3 as well as the Xbox, so I dont have to get the G27, but Im pretty certain its a better wheel.

hobbycar
2010.10.13, 08:57 PM
I'd consider getting a PS3 and GT5 if a bunch of us started playing it (if/when it ever comes out).

I still have my Logitech G25 (haven't sold it yet) and GTR2 on the pc (also have rfactor to try out). Also I've been playing Firemint's Real Racing on my ipod touch a lot recently.

-hobbycar

pinoyboy
2010.10.14, 12:33 AM
I didn't even know about this but since I do now, i have one reserved.

Ironically I don't even have a PS3 at the moment. Got one when it first came out hoping to play the then "just around the corner" GT5. Just around the corner turned into years and I sold the machine. Looks like I'll need to pick one up again now that it's a lot cheaper.

Hrm, guess I also need to find a Logitech G27. :)

I did the same thing as you:p I won't buy another ps3 until its released and has good reviews and feedback from people.

Eman
2010.10.14, 02:48 PM
GT5 will be a console seller. For me anyway. The only reason I bought a PS2 back in the day was for GT4. I will buy another PS3 (sold it to buy RC8B) when and if GT5 is released. If GT5 prologue is any indication, GT5 will be a black hole for my spare time. At least during the winter.

Things I liked about Prologue:
1.) The ability to make adjustments on the fly!
2.) "Crash Avoidance" for lack of a better term.

Things I hope they change:
1.) The tuning. Hope it is more like FM and not as dumbed down.
2.) The online. No hoppers. Needs to be like FM2.

Since I've sold FM3 I've been waiting for a good racing sim to take me through the next few years. Hopefully GT5 is what the doctor ordered. Time will tell.

EMU
2010.10.14, 04:43 PM
At least im not the only one who doesnt like the hoppers... :) Nice summary Eman. My brother/roomate has an Xbox and PS3, I only have an Xbox... which I bought after deciding that I wasnt going to wait anymore for GT5 and get a PS3. In general, I preferred the online experience... until I started playing games with hoppers... and thought that this was no better than the PS3 interface, since it had become nearly identical.

I think they didnt want to give one person control, but instead, they must want everyone to suffer. :(

Action B
2010.10.14, 05:23 PM
the voting system used in Halo Reach is equally aggravating because you almost always play the same maps over and over.

I find the voting to be an improvement over the veto system. The reason you play maps over and over again is because the majority of people prefer the maps they vote on. Your in the minority good sir, if others agreed with you they simply would vote for another map.

Everyone can't be pleased, that's for sure ,a voting system pleases the larger group (or majority lol) so I completely support it.

mini-z
2010.10.14, 06:00 PM
...... http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/13/gran-turismo-5-is-delayed-again/

How ironic that this happens the same day I make this post.

******* ****** **** *******!!! I haven't had much time to play anything for the past decade plus - the last console I had was a Dreamcast (which, come to think of it, someone bought for me), and then we got Wii when it came out but mostly used it for party games etc., but I've been fairly left out of several generations of console gaming. I got a PS3 just before the holidays in 2009 specifically to play GT5, and got Prologue and pre-ordered GT5 from Amazon at the same time. Since then, it's just been one disappointment after another! I stopped bothering to track GT5 release news online after the first 6 months or so, and then the other day I got an email from Amazon saying "it's for real, yours will ship right away as soon as they arrive, no more delays", and I thought "finally!!!". I can't believe this news! I feel pretty hard done by by Sony, who used to be my favorite brand back in the day until my TiVo, laptop, and dog all died within a few weeks of each other (robot dog that is!). Now I feel like they've scammed me by selling me this hardware for which no compelling software seems to exist (yet). Mrs. Mini-Z, who is sick of hearing me complain about the delays, was quick to point out that that article didn't specify WHAT YEAR when they quoted it as being out "by the holidays"...! :rolleyes::mad::confused::eek::(

Mr. Imasaki said the company “is shooting for it to be out by the holidays. You won’t see too much more delay.”

Skv012a
2010.10.14, 09:21 PM
Sounds like I'll just stop caring about this one. We've had great games out for years and on average, Forza was much better than GT series anyway.

mini-z
2010.11.13, 03:59 PM
Did anyone notice that there's now a collector edition that comes with a Kyosho die-cast!? :eek:

rensuchan
2010.11.13, 04:41 PM
Mini-Z,

Yeah, I have that one pre-ordered...

And it seems that it's *CONFIRMED* for November 24th now... less than two weeks!

mini-z
2010.11.14, 01:21 PM
(Skeptical) Awesome RE 11/24! But I'm bummed that I'm not getting the CE - I deserve a REAL GT-R after how long I've waited, let alone a die-cast! :mad: :D

rensuchan
2010.11.15, 10:07 AM
Who's on PSN? I might boot up my PS3 and update it in preparation soon so I might as well add people to PSN while I'm at it.

rensuchan here.

Deca
2010.11.15, 11:48 AM
I am VERY excited to finally be receiving my CE in just over a week...just in time for thanksgiving weekend. Family probably won't be too happy about that.

My PSN is deca_tarce. At least I'm pretty sure the underscore is there. Looking forward to some Wangan battles down the new SS Route 7 online :D man I'm looking forward to everything, even nascrash is gonna be fun.

rensuchan
2010.11.23, 03:43 PM
So we're all in a forum where we race small cars around... it's safe to assume that a lot of people here are going to be playing this correct?

How many people are planning to get this / already have it reserved? I have the collectors edition reserved with the included Kyosho model :)

Maybe we can organize some races between forum members and stuff like that.

VAzRACER
2010.11.23, 05:44 PM
I'll be picking it up tomorrow, I reserved my copy almost three years ago.:p:eek:

My psn ID is Endless90.

Skv012a
2010.11.23, 05:57 PM
Might just go and get this thing tomorrow. Definitely a great way to kill the weekend.

EMU
2010.11.23, 07:24 PM
Now I have to start looking for a used PS3... although my brother may get a new one, and sell me his :)

Action B
2010.11.23, 09:28 PM
Wonder if I can spare the cash for it.... I DO have a PS3. Little dusty though.

rensuchan
2010.11.23, 09:52 PM
I DO have a PS3. Little dusty though.

I dusted mine off yesterday evening haha. It's been sitting for months!

Skv012a
2010.11.24, 04:38 PM
Well, I'm installing game data on HDD and off I go. PSN skv0124.

rensuchan
2010.11.25, 03:14 PM
I've added anyone that posted PSN to this thread.

How is everyone enjoying the game so far?

Skv012a
2010.11.25, 05:37 PM
Haven't had much time to dedicate, but hopefully tonight. Is, online garage separate from regular one?

mini-z
2010.12.06, 08:40 PM
So what is everyone's feedback on GT5 after a few weeks? :)

Skv012a
2010.12.06, 08:53 PM
Great to be honest. Physics are perfect and newer cars have incredible detail when it comes to the feel.

dvsstrike
2010.12.06, 09:12 PM
took to long to release and i have lost faith in that console. the game may be great don't get me wrong.

EMU
2010.12.06, 10:22 PM
I feel that the game has its ups and downs. I am more disappointed than happy with the results. There is a lot of screen tearing, shadows are horrible, and load times/menu navigation could have been more thoroughly thought out.

There is no Porsche, but there is Ruf... There has never been any Porsche in GT, so I was expecting that.

What I wasnt expecting was the fact that they simply imported the old cars, and did nothing to make them look like they belong in this generation console. When you look at the difference between the standard and premium cars, its astounding.

Physics are good, only with the wheel. With the controller, the fact that they dont use the triggers as analog controls really aggravates me. There is a lot of dead zone on the early and late throw of the triggers, so its hard to make slight adjustments in throttle and brake.

Online play is poor. There are no class lobbies, so you have to sort through many rooms to find one that is playing a game that you want...

The AI sucks. Simply put. They run their line whether you are there or not. If your in their way, you will get punted off the track. And the damage is kind of rediculous. You dont actually know when you get damaged... but when you repair the car, the bills are half the price of the car, which can be very expensive for some cars. I like the idea of damage, but not the way that it was implemented. I dont know if the damage actually effects the car much, but it costs you to repair...

I was playing Forza III last night, and liked it better than I did before I played GT5. I still havent setup my wheel for my Xbox, but my bro has his wheel setup for GT5. The online interface for Forza I feel is much better. Track selection for Forza is better as well, with more real circuits. While I do like the GT circuits, I dont get the same feeling driving them as a real circuit, especially since I do watch a lot of racing.

In general, I give it a 3.5/5. Some things it does well, but in general I think they tried to accomplish too much in one game, and came up way short of what I expected. They should have just stuck with what they do well, and not try to expand to Nascar and Rally as much. Multiplayer feels like a bonus, not a focus. I dont like Forza's hopper system, and 3 lap races, but at least they are grouped by class, and are easy to navigate.

One day, a console will have a good multiplayer racing game. PC racers have been much better with their multiplayer systems... I may just have to abandon racing on consoles again and go back to PC's for the multiplayer action. I really dislike racing against AI, especially when its poor. The Forza AI is leaps and bounds better than GT5.

I am very let down, with so long of a wait... and it looks like the game is not finished. GT4 may be a better game :rolleyes:

My favorite part of the game so far, Go Karts :)

Track editor/creator is poor, you kind of suggest how technical the track sections should be, and then they make it. And if you make an adjustment to section 2, section 1 usually changes... :eek:

I also want to state that I am not an Xbox or Forza fanboy. I started racing on PC's back in the mid 90's, and until ForzaIII and Modern Warfare II came out, I did not own an Xbox or PS2/3. Although, my brother has owned every system available since 2000, and almost every game. So I have tried a lot of different games. I look at GT5 as an arcade simulator, Forza is a little more simulation, but still arcadelike in some respects (especially with lack of aftermarket wheel support, but thats an M$ issue, not the game developer). If there were good, reasonably priced aftermarket wheels available for the Xbox like there are for the PS3/PC, Forza III would be near perfect. The best wheel usable for the Xbox (basically the only one besides the M$ wheel), is $300, and no longer available due to a limited production run. Both me and my brother have one (Fanatec Porsche Turbo-S). It can be used for PC, Xbox and PS3, but cannot compare to the Logitech G25/G27 wheels on the PC or PS3, but is the only one for Xbox... :rolleyes: If you add their Clubsport pedals, and wheel stand... its about a $600 package to race on a $200 system.

dvsstrike
2010.12.07, 03:20 PM
for all forza racer lets all have a race night against one another. it would be great. and of course the line will be shut off:D

EMU
2010.12.07, 04:09 PM
I only use TC, on some cars (when using a controller)... otherwise I have all other settings disabled..

My Xbox live account is EMUracing ;)

deloreanaka8
2010.12.08, 10:15 PM
I hate my PS3. :(
Right the night I bought GT5 after waiting years to finally get it, I had completed the first 2 licenses and the blu-ray player broke. :mad:
It's just not fair...

rensuchan
2010.12.09, 10:38 AM
@deloreanaka8

That's some bad luck there... :(

hobbycar
2011.03.01, 10:41 PM
Finally got a PS3 and Gran Turismo 5. Love playing it with the Logitech G25.

-hobbycar

Skv012a
2011.03.02, 06:30 AM
I kinda gave up on GT5 for a little bit in favor of Test Drive Unlimited 2- can't beat some of your favorite songs, driving your RC replica online for FREE (I still HATE Live for its fees), and not being bound to circuit races.

GT drifting is still beast though.

deloreanaka8
2011.03.02, 04:57 PM
After spending 90€ to get the PS3 fixed I've been playing GT5, so far level 22 and still can't get a decent car for the classic challenge. :rolleyes:
But got to admit, even after the long 2h it took to complete plus all the swearing and will to kick the console, it was so worth it winning the Top Gear Volkswagen Bus Challenge... gotta love that track. :D

Love playing it with the Logitech G25.
Haven't tried that yet, only used the G25 to play NFS Shift on pc. :p
Is it hard to calibrate? :confused:

hobbycar
2011.03.02, 10:01 PM
After spending 90€ to get the PS3 fixed I've been playing GT5, so far level 22 and still can't get a decent car for the classic challenge. :rolleyes:
But got to admit, even after the long 2h it took to complete plus all the swearing and will to kick the console, it was so worth it winning the Top Gear Volkswagen Bus Challenge... gotta love that track. :D

Haven't tried that yet, only used the G25 to play NFS Shift on pc. :p
Is it hard to calibrate? :confused:

Currently at level 19. I took 2h and could never win that Top Gear VW Bus Challenge. I have a love hate relationship with that one :D. The last turn always gets me (disqualified for touching the grass).

I don't think I changed any settings for the G25 for use with GT5 other than turning down the force feedback a little bit. It was pretty much plug and play.

-hobbycar

EMU
2011.03.02, 11:33 PM
The bus challenge is pretty difficult, but you have to be very aggressive early on into hammerhead, and get as many positions there as you can. If your not in the top 5 by the end of lap one, its all over... Gamblon is deffinitely a challenge to keep off the grass...

deloreanaka8
2011.03.03, 08:02 AM
I took 2h and could never win that Top Gear VW Bus Challenge. I have a love hate relationship with that one :D. The last turn always gets me (disqualified for touching the grass).
I saved a replay of my winning run for that one.
If you want I can get a video of it, might help you out figuring the key points. :)
Gotta try the G25 with the Delorean... worst 521k I spent on the game and I still don't regret it, LOL. :D

Skv012a
2011.03.03, 02:55 PM
I saved a replay of my winning run for that one.
If you want I can get a video of it, might help you out figuring the key points. :)
Gotta try the G25 with the Delorean... worst 521k I spent on the game and I still don't regret it, LOL. :D

LOL, oh you fanboy you.

hobbycar
2011.03.03, 06:41 PM
Currently at level 19. I took 2h and could never win that Top Gear VW Bus Challenge. I have a love hate relationship with that one :D. The last turn always gets me (disqualified for touching the grass).

Oops...got the VW Bus challenge mixed up the the next intermediate level Lotus Elise challenge on the same track.

I did beat the VW Bus challenge...and just got 5th in the Lotus one after about another hour of trying and resisting the urge to pick up that virtual Elise and throw it through a virtural window :mad::eek::D.

-hobbycar

rensuchan
2011.03.04, 08:49 AM
resisting the urge to pick up that virtual Elise and throw it through a virtural window :mad::eek::D.

That's the reason I stopped that challenge... I think I'd break my PS3 if I tried any more... lol.

I need to get back to playing GT5, just so little time to do so lately :/