PDA

View Full Version : Discrepancy: BNIB MR-03 chassis data and ICS defaults

Treadmule
2010.10.15, 02:44 AM
A couple of days ago I received a BNIB MR-03 chassis set that I bought from the store here on their special. I took it out of the box, put some batteries in it, hooked it up to my Mac, powered it up with the pair button and launched the KO Propo ICSTuner software. After setting up for the MR03 chassis, I immediately "Read" the settings from chassis to see how it was set from the factory (I assume...). Then I hit the "Reset" button to see if anything changed - and it did.

The Dead Band setting from the factory was set as "Narrow" while the Reset shows "Middle". All else was the same with no changes.

So, just to verify, I quit the program and ran the Flip Side ICS software for Mac and it showed exactly the same scenario.

I don't know what to make of this, but it's mildly unsettling. I'll point out that I had not paired my new MR-03 chassis with my tx prior to taking these readings from the chassis.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I've posted about this in the KO Propo vendor area also, seeking a response.

Tim Johnson
2010.10.15, 08:49 AM
Often times settings can change mid production.

CristianTabush
2010.10.15, 11:02 AM
This was an early running change to help with the stripped servo gear on the chassis. They started setting it with the medium setting to try to reduce the number of broken servo gears.

bermbuster
2010.10.16, 02:06 PM
I don't know what to make of this, but it's mildly unsettling. .

Why is it unsettling? You have the ICS software to tweak the settings for your style of driving. I have used my programmer on many chassis from Kyosho MR-015 MR-02 F1 MA 010 and the MR 03 and I have seen different factory settings on all the chassis. Kyosho sets them as they deem the genral population will use them. Im just glad they made the option available for everyone to adjust the settings.
At Majs where I race several racers as well as the shop have the programer so changing settings for all the racers at Majs is simple painless and free....

mini-z
2010.10.17, 12:46 PM
I think what Treadmule is saying is that two people with outwardly identical cars could have very different cars if ICS settings vary without any kind of disclosure. Similar to e.g. switching production to new FETs w/out indicating that fact on the box etc. - could give someone an unfair advantage without anyone realizing it. I'm not sure what % of Mini-Z owners have access to an ICS cable or understand all the settings - I'm guessing it's a rather small minority. :)

Treadmule
2010.10.18, 02:40 AM
Thanks for your responses, everyone. Very helpful.

Mini-z is on the right track, but my inquiry was more selfish. I have 2 MR-03's & I'd like them set up both the same. So, based on Christian's response, the right thing for me to do is change the "new" chassis from Narrow to Middle so it's the same as my "old" chassis. :)

bermbuster
2010.10.18, 06:15 AM
I think what Treadmule is saying is that two people with outwardly identical cars could have very different cars if ICS settings vary without any kind of disclosure. Similar to e.g. switching production to new FETs w/out indicating that fact on the box etc. - could give someone an unfair advantage without anyone realizing it. I'm not sure what % of Mini-Z owners have access to an ICS cable or understand all the settings - I'm guessing it's a rather small minority. :)
I hear that...now the kool thing is one car performs better than the other so by seeing the difference and having the the ability to adjust the cars takes things to the next level. Different driving styles will benefit from different adjustments as well. I just hope that all shops/tracks are as pro-active like us racers at Majs.....We have a philosophy about racing. When we get beat it is by driving and not by a poorly set up up mini z.

On the flipside imagine if you had to send the chassis back to Kyosho for adjusting the settings...:eek: