PDA

View Full Version : top shock

JuniorWKR
2010.10.15, 11:59 AM
if a top shock is used is there a need for bottom dps disc and spring?

chad508
2010.10.15, 12:29 PM
My conversations with CT say no. but you would be best to run an oil shock not just a spring shock. this is assuming you mean with a tri shock setup.

JuniorWKR
2010.10.15, 12:40 PM
no tri shock... i am using one of the pn side shocks as a top shock with some dampening grease on it... i just set up my car with just a top dps disch and med spring.. my 03 seems to run the best when the rear of the car feels like mush... i just use top shock for ride height though it does add some suspension feel to it... from running it i like the ability to adjust the rear by adjusting the tension on the top shock rather then swpping out for different lwoer dps springs... as we all know they are not always the perfect setting when trying to adjust the spring and the tension by adjusting the height of the post arm...

EMU
2010.10.15, 01:20 PM
I feel that the two perform different actions... Although, I typically use a med-hard top DPS spring with soft bottom DPS spring. I feel like the top shock tilts the mount back, whild the bottom DPS spring pushes the mount down. The result is different with how the t-plate is loaded. I have thought about removing the lower disc and spring, but leave it in to prevent dust from getting in the DDS.

JuniorWKR
2010.10.15, 01:26 PM
i set the spring to where it just touches whenthe car is sitting nuetral with the batteries in... i did this in an effort to eliminate and preload on the spring or tplate...

EMU
2010.10.15, 01:53 PM
When the wheels are off the ground, does the upper DDS spring preload the top shock at all? How does the PN side shock compare to the Kyosho F1 shock in length (dont have any to compare right now)? Is the metal shaft longer? I like the fact that you can easily adjust preload on the fly.

JuniorWKR
2010.10.15, 01:57 PM
When the wheels are off the ground, does the upper DDS spring preload the top shock at all? How does the PN side shock compare to the Kyosho F1 shock in length (dont have any to compare right now)? Is the metal shaft longer? I like the fact that you can easily adjust preload on the fly.

when i lift the chassis up the rear pod sags... not from any spring just from weight alone... i really like the side shock as a top shock for a few reasons... the shock will bottom out just before the chassis, its a nice bump stop... it doesnt back out on traction roll crashes is the rear pod flexes to far backwards and it gives a greater feel when any form of lube is applied in the way of dampning.. and yse the adjustments on the fly is the best part... also the amount of springs to choose from... any 02 03 front spring will work...

EMU
2010.10.15, 02:04 PM
Sounds good. I have always had problems with the F1 shock backing out (on the F1), and may use this as a substitute. It is also better to bottom the shock out than have the mount hit the chassis, so another plus. That is one reason why I like the newest ATM 94 v6 mount, it has a lot of uptravel, and wont hit the chassis unlike the PN 94 LCG mount which I feel restricts uptravel more than I like. Although, for a stock setup, I like the PN LCG mount...

Thanks for sharing :)

JuniorWKR
2010.10.15, 03:17 PM
im running the new pn 96mm pods which have tons of clearence...

it also seems to have a better feel when it comes to how the post sits in the dps.. i dont know if its a differnt angle as it moves around or what but it feels much freer and truer...

EMU
2010.10.15, 03:50 PM
Thanks Jr. Appreciate the feedback. I plan to get one of the new PN mounts and try a head to head comparison to the new RR mount at 96mm.