PDA

View Full Version : Problem with electronics

Bodom
2010.11.15, 04:03 AM
Yesterday I switched my car on and it acted strange (mr-03 with KT-18).
The first thing I noticed is that it took a little longer for the car to attach to the transmitter (the moment where the servo motor catches and positions the front tires).
Note - I switch the transmitter on first and then the car.
After that I loose control of the car randomly for a small periods of time. Both throttle and steering. When the car is out of control I can turn the steering rod by hand freely, when it catches back the control - the servo positions the tires. The same with throttle.
No smoke or smell from the car.
The red light on the PCB of the car lights constantly.
I turned it off, took off the batteries from the transmitter and the car, tested it, and put them back again. Still the same behavior.
After some restarts of the car and the transmitter - all went back to normal :confused:
Since then the car works fine. And the time the car needs to attach is normal again.

The question is - do you have any clue what happened? Is it the car, or the transmitter? Is this loss of signal or something else? Could it be interference with other 2.4GHz device? (this happened at my home)

mleemor60
2010.11.15, 06:03 AM
Sounds like a broken steering servo gear.

Bodom
2010.11.15, 06:13 AM
Sounds like a broken steering servo gear.

Totally not!
The steering and the throttle control disappear simultaneously!
The steering of my car works smooth and fine.

mleemor60
2010.11.15, 06:29 AM
Your description of being able to freely move the steering by hand intermittently sure sounds like a broken servo gear.

Try resetting the radio per the instruction book and go from there.

wildthing
2010.11.15, 07:26 AM
have you tried re-binding it? similar thing happened to me but on an MR02 ASF, the rebind worked.

Bodom
2010.11.15, 07:40 AM
Your description of being able to freely move the steering by hand intermittently sure sounds like a broken servo gear.

Try resetting the radio per the instruction book and go from there.

Yes, I can move the steering rod as if the car is powered off. This way, I turn all the servo gears and the servo motor.
If the car is powered on and functioning normally - I cannot do that, because the servo motor is trying to resist me and hold the steering in position.

I did not reset the radio, the problem disappeared by restarting the radio and the car several times (as I said before)

Edit:
have you tried re-binding it? similar thing happened to me but on an MR02 ASF, the rebind worked.

No, I haven't. This was my next guess if the restart of the car and transmitter didn't worked. I binded the car and the transmitter only once - when I first get them :)

babstar
2010.11.15, 08:54 AM
I Have the same with mine. Both of them, and both were RTR sets not the chassis set. Some how this only happens to me when I'm at the track with other 2,4's running. I have to re-bind (pair) my chassis and transmitter (btw I use the EX-1 UR with module).

Since after re-binding I have no problems anymore I've left it at that.

Someone told me its because I use rechargeable AA's in my transmitter. But thats bull cos after re-binding the problem is gone. And my voltage is high and stable.

Keep us posted if you find anything, GL.

grtz

Bodom
2010.11.15, 09:25 AM
@bobstar: Thanks for the info.
Mine MR-03 is chassis set. I am unable to reproduce the problem again. If this happens again - I'll try to figure out what is causing it. So far it sounds logical to be interference with other 2.4 devices.

EMU
2010.11.15, 10:34 AM
Were you alone when the problem occured, or were there other cars/radio's on at the time?

Bodom
2010.11.15, 10:42 AM
Were you alone when the problem occured, or were there other cars/radio's on at the time?

Alone at home. Only the usual home electric devices.
No other 2.4GHz RC radio transmitters around.

EMU
2010.11.15, 10:44 AM
I occasionally have issues if I turn my car in too close to my transmitter. Maybe try re-binding and turning the car on a couple feet away from the TX.

Bodom
2010.11.15, 01:29 PM
I occasionally have issues if I turn my car in too close to my transmitter. Maybe try re-binding and turning the car on a couple feet away from the TX.

OMG!! :eek::eek:
I reproduced the problem by turning the car on very close to the transmitter!!!
Turn off the car and then turn on again but one meter away and it works !
Strange to me, but.. it seems that this causes the problem.

Thanks EMU!

Action B
2010.11.15, 01:48 PM

True, honestly, if I turn my car on with my transmitter to close it doesn't work properly. I usually hold them arms length apart when I turn my car on else there may be problems.

I've seen the same with my girlfriends too.

We both have MR-03 and Ex-1 radios

Skv012a
2010.11.15, 02:15 PM
We both have MR-03 and Ex-1 radios

Mars trio!

Else, I may try this next time I hit the track, it could have been what caused my 03 to understeer in one direction.

Action B
2010.11.15, 05:41 PM
Mars trio!

Else, I may try this next time I hit the track, it could have been what caused my 03 to understeer in one direction.

Yeah Mars FTW! You know your the reason we have that radio lol.

I don't think it woud help with that problem. Mine disconnects a lot if I don't bind them at a reasonable distance, I don't think it woudl make it turn more or less one direction versus another.

EMU
2010.11.15, 07:26 PM
Mars trio!

That may be a broken servo gear ;) But could also be tweak. does the servo react smoothly to steering input? Is the angle of the wheels equal lock to lock?

herman
2010.11.16, 09:35 AM
my guess...
loose battery connection in the kt-18... check the connection in the handle it might be a bit loose...
or more likely... a broken servo gear (but not sure)... you want to set the left and right end points a bit back of maximum, this is done to avoid any stress on the gear, which could be easily eaten up by the stronger servo motor...

hope this helps... :D