PDA

View Full Version : Motor prob.

racerxsmr
2010.11.15, 07:29 AM
I'm not really sure if this thread belongs in this area so I apologize if it doesn't...

I'm haveing problems with the reverse on My MA010 and monster. I've had the cars for 3 years now and haven't ran them all that hard, they have only been ran on an rcp track. My problem is My reverse just stopped working. I haven't touched the batterys to the antenna, or anything of that nature, it just stopped worknig. When I push on the trigger to go into reverse the car makes the noise like it wants to in reverse just doesn't, every once in a while when I hit reverse the car will go in reverse briefly...I'm hoping I didn't fry something, but can somebody help Me please?

Thank You!

P.S.- I'm running the mini-z awd speed v motor, I've swapted out different motors and still the same outcome, so would it be a pretty good guess that I fried the fets, or something, and also, would it make that noise if reverse didn't work?

EMU
2010.11.15, 11:38 AM
Are these ASF or AM cars? Is there any burnt smell coming from the cars?

Try adjusting the throttle trim slightly forward and backward and see if that helps.

Action B
2010.11.15, 02:55 PM
I'm not really sure if this thread belongs in this area so I apologize if it doesn't...

I'm haveing problems with the reverse on My MA010 and monster. I've had the cars for 3 years now and haven't ran them all that hard, they have only been ran on an rcp track. My problem is My reverse just stopped working. I haven't touched the batterys to the antenna, or anything of that nature, it just stopped worknig. When I push on the trigger to go into reverse the car makes the noise like it wants to in reverse just doesn't, every once in a while when I hit reverse the car will go in reverse briefly...I'm hoping I didn't fry something, but can somebody help Me please?

Thank You!

P.S.- I'm running the mini-z awd speed v motor, I've swapted out different motors and still the same outcome, so would it be a pretty good guess that I fried the fets, or something, and also, would it make that noise if reverse didn't work?

Its fairly unusual for a FET to transmit any power at all when burned, but I've seen some unusual situations before. One time a car I was working on had a similar problem it turned out to be a cracked resistor leading to one of the FET legs.

Lorton is only 15 minutes away from where I am at, do you ever race with the local groups up here? I'm really good with board work I'd be happy to help you with it for free if you stop by sometime. If you already to race with one of our local groups just let me know I'll bring my stuff.

racerxsmr
2010.11.15, 07:54 PM
Are these ASF or AM cars? Is there any burnt smell coming from the cars?

Try adjusting the throttle trim slightly forward and backward and see if that helps.

Nope, no burt smells, but it still sounds like it wants to go in reverse when I push up on the trigger, I try not to do it too much incase I do fry something. I also tried the adjusting the trim, but no cigar. Thanks though.

racerxsmr
2010.11.15, 07:57 PM
Hey that sounds good... I don't belong to any groups yet ,I've just been basiclly racing Myself lol, but yeah man I'll pm You, thanks!

racerxsmr
2010.11.21, 06:37 AM
ok, so heres the update lol...
I fixed the reverse, it was the throttle trim on My MA010, so thank You for that!
I got it tuned, up and running and now My gears won't stay on the motor shaft, even if I barley accelerate the gear just shoots off. Anyone have any remedeys for that?

Action B
2010.11.21, 10:13 AM
ok, so heres the update lol...
I fixed the reverse, it was the throttle trim on My MA010, so thank You for that!
I got it tuned, up and running and now My gears won't stay on the motor shaft, even if I barley accelerate the gear just shoots off. Anyone have any remedeys for that?

I glue mine. Trust me they will still come off if you pry on them.

You could also try an aluminum one with the locking screw but I've found that they don't run as smooth as the plastic.

KA2AEV
2010.11.21, 10:18 AM

You could also try an aluminum one with the locking screw but I've found that they don't run as smooth as the plastic.

What type of glue do you use?
Was talking about this with one of the ARCMS drivers just yesterday at the track
and we figured that the screw could come loose as well as throw off
the balance to the gear!

EMU
2010.11.21, 11:28 AM
It depends which gears you use. Some alloy gears have been engineered to compensate for the additional mass of the set screw by reducing mass near it. In general, for motors that I know run cool and dont have massive amounts of torque, I prefer to run a plastic pinion. I feel the mesh is better. If the motor gets hot, it will melt the pinion and it will pop off easily when running (even when CA'd). I use Gorilla Glue CA. CA will burn up when it gets hot, so always check your motor temp when running plastic pinions.

Action B
2010.11.21, 02:19 PM
What type of glue do you use?
Was talking about this with one of the ARCMS drivers just yesterday at the track
and we figured that the screw could come loose as well as throw off
the balance to the gear!

Some standard super glue gel.

3racing aluminum gear sets have 2 screws set directly opposite from each other. They don't come loose and I feel it would be better balanced. As EMU said I just felt I had better gear mesh with the plastic.

racerxsmr
2010.11.21, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna try some super glue first, if that doesn't hold I'll grab Me some gorilla glue! :}

Felix2010
2010.12.25, 08:36 AM
Just wanted to add:):

PN alloy motor gears w/single set screw, and Kyosho alloy motor gears w/single set screw ---> The 2 best motor pinions I've used on my AWD. No chance these are gonna slip as long as the set screw isn't damaged/stripped.:) No balance issues with the PN alloy motor pinions either, they are machined to be balanced (per PN's info).:)
I wouldn't trust plastic motor pinions for a race on the AWD. Sorry, but they WILL slip! I have had brand-new, never-used (In other words, tight) Kyo plastic pinions slip. Saw it and only would try plastic for practice... Don't trust 'em...:(

There's 2 AWESOME alloy pinion gear options with retention/set screws avail.:) For high-torque motor, I have always had the OEM black-plastic Kyosho motor pinions slip. It's just the nature of the AWD's drivetrain. (OTOH, I have found that the plastic front centershaft Kyosho 8t pinion gear almost never slips. When I felt problems with slipping, the culprit was always the plastic motor pinion...). Like EMU said, the plastic OEM pinions mesh excellent with the Kyosho gear diffs & Kyo Ball Diffs.

But I have to say the Kyosho alloy AWD motor pinion set is very nice. If cost not an issue, the Kyo alloy AWD motor pinions are a solid. This could just be in my head however--> That the Kyo pinions seem slightly smoother than the PN alloy AWD motor pinions. The PN pinions are a solid choice too though... And less $$.... Deff worth a try (+ you are able to try one single pn pinion w/o having to by the set, if you are worries you wont like them. Good deal!:D