PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell if my Giro-Z Transponder works?

Mead
2010.11.15, 05:57 PM
I don't have a bridge to test my giroz transponder, how can I tell if it's working?

There's a LED on board is it supposed to light up?

Mine doesn't light up after connected to my Mini-Z battery terminals.

My giroz is this generation:

http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/Giro-Z-Transponder__13133.aspx

TIA

chad508
2010.11.15, 05:59 PM
only way you will see a light is if you put the body on the car and get a camera with a display (cellphone works great) and look at the light through the display. it should be light blue to white.

Mead
2010.11.15, 06:36 PM
chad508... thanks!

hmm, I'm not following, sorry :confused:...

how come I need to put a body on the car?

wont that block the view of the light?

camera with a display? not sure why, how about in a very dark room?

Thanks again, sorry I'm a little slow :)

chad508
2010.11.15, 07:47 PM
putting the body on allows only the light from the transponder to shine through. you have to make sure the led is in view through window anyways. i have never seen the light without using a camera. trust me it works

EMU
2010.11.15, 08:10 PM
It works by IR. The light is not visible by the human eye, but is visible by a digi-cam. Which is why we test it by using a cell phone camera to make sure it is visible through the window of the body.

Mead
2010.11.16, 10:27 AM
Thanks guys - chad, EMU

WOW :eek: You learn something new everyday :)

mini-z
2010.11.16, 11:02 AM
FYI Mead, when you do take it to the track, there is a really nice diagnostics app that comes w/ ZRound that can help you tell if the transponder is being picked up etc. How long ago did you buy that - those old ones are really fragile and break often - look at the pic in the TRP GiroZ Transponder V2 product listing - these are the latest and greatest (and cheaper!). Your is actually pre-"V1" based on the current nomenclature. :eek:

Mead
2010.11.16, 11:23 AM
FYI Mead, when you do take it to the track, there is a really nice diagnostics app that comes w/ ZRound that can help you tell if the transponder is being picked up etc. How long ago did you buy that - those old ones are really fragile and break often - look at the pic in the TRP GiroZ Transponder V2 product listing - these are the latest and greatest (and cheaper!). Your is actually pre-"V1" based on the current nomenclature. :eek:

Mini Z, thanks.

They've been in storage for a few years, so definitely outdated, however whe you say 'break often' you mean physically fragile? or the electronics failing?

Visually it looks fine, but I'll test it with a cell camera. If they're fragile I'll take better care of them :rolleyes:

mini-z
2010.11.16, 01:40 PM
Mead, they are super fragile. We have rental transponders for our local racing and some are this old kind (we got our system before GiroZ was even available in the US) and we are constantly having to resolder the wires the the board...:rolleyes:

Mead
2010.11.17, 10:13 AM
mmmky, thanks to all for your helps, I saw the ghostly dim blueish light everyone was talking about (it's kinda spooky - I compared two transponders side by side, one lit thru the view finder, but both look the same via naked eye :eek:)