PDA

View Full Version : GRP Gandini Foam Tires and Other Mini-Z Foams...

Felix2010
2010.11.16, 04:42 PM
I would like to know if I was to want to try just a LITTLE bit of traction compound on my foam tires, would it hurt RCP track surface? Also what products are good traction compounds for GRP/other Mini-Z Foam Tires for RCP use?

I run outlaw class only at my track, so if certain foam tire traction compounds won't hurt or stain the RCP racing surface then I might give 'em a try...

color01
2010.11.16, 05:37 PM
Unfortunately, you just shouldn't use traction compound on anything going on RCP. Think about it -- WD40, Paragon, Jack the Gripper, etc. will all soften the foam on your wheels. This stuff is liquid. You run the car on the track and it WILL soften and tear up the foam in the RCP tiles, even if it's just a little bit. Just the vapors alone (you can smell them) will probably have an affect on the RCP foam, it's that sensitive already. And you'll form a great traction groove, yes, but the next time you rearrange the track you're going to have spots of ridiculous grip and then spots of unaffected RCP.

On top of that, if any of the oils actually gets into the RCP it could negatively affect traction for everyone else using rubber tires. That's what happened to the Kyosho track when people used silicone tires, it greased the track surface for everyone else running rubber tires.

Felix2010
2010.11.16, 06:34 PM
color0, what do you suggest to get the most out of GRP Gandini foams for use on RCP tracks? Seems like they don't have the grip they used to have, I have better luck with Kyosho Rubber Tires.

Is there anything that can be done to the Gandini foams to make them grip the bejesus out of the RCP track? I wanna run outlaw and outlaw don't run rubber:)

Is there a way to true Foams/Gandini's to get them more grippier?:D

geeunit1014
2010.11.16, 06:57 PM
If the tires are old (guessing because you said they "used to" grip), give them a buzz on a truer, that will open the cells in the foam back up.

mleemor60
2010.11.16, 08:02 PM
A real old school trick would be to soak a cotton ball in oil of wintergreen and put it in a small jar with a divider to keep the tires from coming in direct contact with the cotton. After a couple of days the tires will be very nice and compliant. Their breath will be minty fresh as well.

Felix2010
2010.11.17, 11:06 AM
A real old school trick would be to soak a cotton ball in oil of wintergreen and put it in a small jar with a divider to keep the tires from coming in direct contact with the cotton. After a couple of days the tires will be very nice and compliant. Their breath will be minty fresh as well.

Is this for real? "Oil of wintergreen" - From GNC or supermarket?

How good does it work?

I don't have a tire truer, and I am not sure what the BEST way to true a tire without using an actual tire truer is? I know you can attach the wheel to a gear diff shaft and connect the diff shaft to a dremel, etc. and use sandpaper. But I'm not great at doing ballparking' flat/even surfaces...

IDK... Maybe I can send them out to someone who has a truer, get 'ur done right, to exact racing-pro specs. Anyone do this service out there?

hrdrvr
2010.11.17, 12:04 PM
I know reflex sells trued tires. Maybe if you hit CT up he would shoot you a price for it.

Where do you race in NH? How close are you to the NYC/NJ groups that are racing Zs? There are a bunch of really nice guys who are serious enough to have tire truers in that area. I could probably name a couple that would be happy to help you true some tires if you met them at an event.

mleemor60
2010.11.17, 12:11 PM
It is for real. It was an early method of softening 1/12th scale tires beforw we found other things like Ipecac and Coppertone. I'm talking about the early eighties.

We used to have a rule that said if a cotton ball stuck to the tires it was deemed illegal.

Source it where you can find it. It can usually be found with baking supplies.

Felix2010
2010.11.17, 12:24 PM
Awesome history/info mleemor60. Thanks for the idea. Will try.:)

I race at Felix2010 International speedway @ my house.:D Like 6 Wide-Ovals or 3.5 Wide L's worth of RCP, I-LAP. Outlaw NH hillbilly right chere! Ayaaa:D

But yeah, I don't work a 9-5 I work a 3-Day straight over the weekend. Maybe once my schedule changes I'll check it out.

I'm probably 6 hrs away from NJ and 5 from NYC.

Thank you for the info hrdrvr. I work and live a weird schedule, I'm live in a constant state of chaos right now, I'm kinda outta control... So my race skills and everything has been lacking, just working on Z's here and there and running at my house. It's like an 7-8 second/lap track I have, and I should use it more...

Thanks guys for all the info. Any other outlaw tips welcome.:D I probably would be DQ'd from most events with the stuff I run...lol

hrdrvr
2010.11.17, 03:10 PM
Sounds cool. We were parking lot racers for a long time before going to carpet then RCP, so I have an apprecation for any type of racing :D

There is a great racer up there by the name of Bill Crotty. His name is "wcrotty" here on the forums. Im not 100% sure where he races out of, but I do know he has an event, and a club thread floating around here on this forum. The event is in York ME, and Im pretty sure that is where they race. I dont know anyone else from up there, but some one in his group might have a truer ;)

Felix2010
2010.11.17, 05:50 PM
Ya I know Bill.C . Thanks though hrdrvr. He's a good 1-2 hours aways from me too, and again me working weekends... The race days are usually Weekends. Eventually I'll get up there and blow everyone's mind...:rolleyes:

dvsstrike
2010.11.17, 07:56 PM
damn you still on that weird schedule? was hopping to get some racing in this time around. if you looking for a tire truer use an old mod motor lathe. just bore out an old drive hub on a old motor shaft blank and use a sanding drum on the part that holds the bit.

Felix2010
2010.11.17, 08:09 PM
damn you still on that weird schedule? was hopping to get some racing in this time around. if you looking for a tire truer use an old mod motor lathe. just bore out an old drive hub on a old motor shaft blank and use a sanding drum on the part that holds the bit.

Yah man, schedule is crazy, I'm losing it. Maybe early next year we'll finally meet up, I just am outta control right now.

Im not quite getting what u mean about an old mod motor lathe. I've heard of taking an old ball diff and chucking it on a dremel with a foam wheel at the end, and using a sheet of sandpaper to true or sand-down the outer-foams.

dvsstrike
2010.11.17, 08:11 PM
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34495
go here