PDA

View Full Version : Motor/Diff Adjustment questions.

rajiex
2010.11.21, 02:31 PM
I race at Action RC in NYC, everyone swears by the Atomic BB yellow label motor. I also have the Atomic Standard Pink label, in my Mosler and the BB in a short tail Mclaren. I believe the pink is faster than the BB. Both cars run 53/12. After adjusting the diff tighter, both cars are running faster but I keep picking up lot of black stuff in the diff. They dont feel smooth until I clean them out.(not a rebuild just cleaning with motor spray). I have ceramic balls in both, is it possible to wear them out so quickly. Help?

EMU
2010.11.21, 03:16 PM
I do not recommend putting motor cleaner in you diff. It gets rid of any grease to lubricate the moving parts, and will wear the rings/gears faster.

The Standard BB (black mags) has its power in the higher RPM range, Stock-BB (neo-mags) has the power in the lower RPM range. Stock-BB also has more drag brake (Neo mags), so there will be less roll off throttle. The Stock-BB will have more power coming out of the corner, but less on the straight as you near the higher RPM range. Standard BB will be more linear throughout the power band.

As far as the black stuff in the rear, do you have the rear of the body open to vent air out, otherwise everything picked up on the track (dust), will collect in the rear of the body, and get on the diff.

Ceramic balls last a long time, but the diff rings wont if they are run dry. Especially if they are not run tight, and are used as a slipper.

rajiex
2010.11.21, 04:10 PM
I do not recommend putting motor cleaner in you diff. It gets rid of any grease to lubricate the moving parts, and will wear the rings/gears faster.

The Standard BB (black mags) has its power in the higher RPM range, Stock-BB (neo-mags) has the power in the lower RPM range. Stock-BB also has more drag brake (Neo mags), so there will be less roll off throttle. The Stock-BB will have more power coming out of the corner, but less on the straight as you near the higher RPM range. Standard BB will be more linear throughout the power band.

As far as the black stuff in the rear, do you have the rear of the body open to vent air out, otherwise everything picked up on the track (dust), will collect in the rear of the body, and get on the diff.

Ceramic balls last a long time, but the diff rings wont if they are run dry. Especially if they are not run tight, and are used as a slipper.

Rear of car is stock. tired if chopping up bodies.. what should i gear at with eac motor.. u know how al's layout style

EMU
2010.11.21, 04:28 PM
You dont have to chop up the body, just have holes in specific locations to allow the air to vent well. It gives more downforce and keeps the car from getting as dirty.

Depending on the layout, 11-12/52-54 is good for those motors. How long have you had the Stock-BB? How often do you clean it? Do you have throttle set to full? Are the ESC's both on similar settings? What batteries are you planning to use with the car... There are many factors to consider when gearing the car and when comparing speed from motors.