PDA

View Full Version : Best body for 90mm wheelbase on MR03

moz
2010.11.25, 10:39 AM
Hi Everyone....
Which body is best overall(for race)....fast,save,stable,etc....
With PN70 official stock motor...
Ferarri F40?
Porsche GT1?
Mazda RX7?
Toyota Trueno?
Mini?maybe..;)

CondeAfonso
2010.11.25, 02:03 PM
I have the F40 and it is just beautiful!! But be careful if you want to run it low, as it doesn't allow much suspension travel before the front wheels rub on the top inside of the body.

Chicken Little
2010.11.25, 02:22 PM
My vote goes for the Porsche GT3 RSR. It's got a wide rear and rotates predictably in the corners.

EMU
2010.11.25, 06:12 PM
The F40 for wide, F355 for narrow. I have had great results with both bodies, although I typically use them at 94mm, they work well at 90mm.

I can post some images of my F40 if you are interested in seeing some of the modifications that I have done to make it perform better.

With both of these bodies, I recommend at most a 19mm wheel on the front. It will lower the front of the car, and increase the clearance to the body.

Bodom
2010.11.26, 02:27 AM
The F40 for wide, F355 for narrow. I have had great results with both bodies, although I typically use them at 94mm, they work well at 90mm.

I can post some images of my F40 if you are interested in seeing some of the modifications that I have done to make it perform better.

With both of these bodies, I recommend at most a 19mm wheel on the front. It will lower the front of the car, and increase the clearance to the body.

I would like to see the pics :)

moz
2010.11.26, 07:04 AM
love to see the pic please:D EMU

SaiTam
2010.11.26, 07:51 AM
I have a video of my F355(Yellow) vs. EMU's F355(Blue). While it's not on MR03 the effect is the same. The F355 has a lot of rotation on corners, which suits my driving style. It's like driving an MR2 in real life and looks very similar too. See video: VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGOeDmnJBYg) *Note: this body is also light and low not easy to traction roll like other 90mm; I was spinning out with cold tires in first lap but no traction roll.

EMU
2010.11.26, 11:24 AM
In the video that Sai posted with the F355's and Lambo LP400, we were using the MR015 chassis :) Since the narrow class that we run these body in is the only 70t class run at Action RC, I had driven that car at many traveling events in the 70t stock class and did pretty well. Despite having a lot of rotation, it is an easy body to drive, and is pretty forgiving.

I have attached some images of my most recent F40. I removed the rear wing, installed a Reflex GT wing. Shaved out the inlets above the rear wheels, and covered them with vinyl. Opened up the holes in the rear bumper and removed the license plate. This prevents the rear of the body from acting like a parachute. I also shaved the front lip, and removed the little turn signal lights molded on the front sides of the body to allow the car to not get sucked into the boards. A lot of small things, that add up to make a noticeable difference.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30912&d=1290791005

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30913&d=1290791027

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30914&d=1290791040

moz
2010.11.26, 06:57 PM
EMU,F40 on MR015 what's ur offset,thx

moz
2010.11.26, 07:04 PM
Saitam F355 on 90mm sounds good...any mod for rear windscreen,wondering how it looks like:rolleyes:..thx for the video

dxm2
2010.11.27, 12:00 AM
Wow! That F40 looks great Emu.
I've never raced the 355 or the Porsche RS, but the F40 is a great body and I also like the 911 GT1. Both have nice smooth noses that don't get hung up and both look great. Its been my experience that the F40 needs a lot of trimming to get the clearance for the real wheels. Be sure to invest in a 90 mm mid motor mount.

EMU
2010.11.27, 12:17 PM
Here are some images of the rear f355 windscreen on my 94mm MR03 with RR tri-damper. You have to play around with the side clips a little to get good clearance, and I use a Corvette C5 PN front clip so I can adjust the front height.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30920&stc=1&d=1290881693

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30921&stc=1&d=1290881683

My F40 is on a wide MR03 with 0mm front wheels. The f355 is on a narrow MR03 with 0mm front wheels.

When I drove the F40 at the Ko Propo race in Cupertino a while back on the MR015, I used a set of my tower bars that convert the front track width to MR02 width, with 0mm front wheels. And it was RM. I would definitely recommend using a 90mm MM mount now though, but RM can be fun.

bobbyz
2010.11.27, 05:29 PM
i will say that whenever i run a shorter wb 90mm body i always grab my old porsche Gt3. It's one of the old mr-01 bodies that came with narrow wheels all around, but zero offset fronts and zero offset wide rears just tuck in under the fenders, with the use of a thin inner bearing in the front wheels. This body never traction rolls with kyosho 20s and the smooth curved front keeps it moving if you brush a railing. I havent got a mr03 yet, but am leaning heavily towards either the red bull or yokohma liveried gt3 which are mr03N 90mm bodies, just because i've liked my old gt3 bodies so much.

Skv012a
2010.11.28, 04:22 PM
with the use of a thin inner bearing in the front wheels

Please elaborate on this thought, I don't think I'm familiar with that kinda bearing.

bobbyz
2010.11.29, 02:23 AM
^^^ i have a couple sets of the old duratrax bearing sets for mini-z wheels, and they made the four front bearings much thinner. I never measured them, but they appear to be 2mm thick, while all my other bearing sets have closer to 3mm front bearings. This thin inner bearing came in very usefuly to fit zero offset narrow front wheels under several 90mm bodies on my MR02 (Vitz, Trueno, GT3). Eventually PN came out with the tower bar set to give the MR02 chassis an MR015 front track, and I liked that setup better, because the wheels tucked in just a bit more.

herman
2010.11.29, 09:48 PM
I never measured them, but they appear to be 2mm thick, while all my other bearing sets have closer to 3mm front bearings. This thin inner bearing came in very usefuly to fit zero offset narrow front wheels under several 90mm bodies

pretty interesting... :D sounds like a very helpful tip...

PadrinoNY
2010.11.30, 09:35 AM
Just my 2 cents. Listen you have to try things out Eugene (Emu) and Sai are funominal drivers they make anything look driveable but one thing Sai let me try some of his bodies before i got into the scene of narrow racing and got hooked but found that for my driving style the 94mm Skyline r34 was an unbelieveable body and the 90mm AE86 was pretty good. I am gonna have Sai setup my narrow now for the F40 so that I can try it thats the key word try it. It all comes down to how you drive & your setup. Again just my 2 cents.

EMU
2010.11.30, 10:32 AM
Just my 2 cents. Listen you have to try things out Eugene (Emu) and Sai are funominal drivers they make anything look driveable but one thing Sai let me try some of his bodies before i got into the scene of narrow racing and got hooked but found that for my driving style the 94mm Skyline r34 was an unbelieveable body and the 90mm AE86 was pretty good. I am gonna have Sai setup my narrow now for the F40 so that I can try it thats the key word try it. It all comes down to how you drive & your setup. Again just my 2 cents.

F40 is wide, F355 is narrow ;)

SaiTam
2010.11.30, 10:56 AM
Like EMU said. I had actually never set up an F40. But here is what my winning car (F355 Narrow) from Saturday looks like:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/dealerxing/Mini-z/SAM_0212.jpg

and here's Danny's 90mm setup(ATM selective damper all sold out but this damper shown fits:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/dealerxing/Mini-z/IMG_1234.jpg

Pierro
2010.12.01, 07:16 AM
I've recently bought a JSCC cup chassis. (The RM full option chassis by kyosho)
My aim is to set-up a narrow car in either 90 or 94 mm.

Currently, I put a RX7 on the chassis with some old alloy wheel I found in a bunch of bodies I bought. These are wide rears and semi-wide front. Which equals to the +1 narrow wheels of the body.

I have some 30 kyosho flat for front and 20 radial rear. I must test it on the track on saturday. I'll take the R35 body will be the second body to test. Then the F355 or the GT3 Porsche.

I've read that on some narrow bodies like the mini or the Vitz you need to lower the whole chassis. Is it also mandatory for wider bodies like my RX7 or the F355?

Pierro
2010.12.04, 03:58 PM
Hello!

First tests of my RX-7 done this afternoon at the track. I used a PN70T motor on this chassis to have something not overpowered.

First packs with out-of-the-bag tires and 8 gear. Rather slippy when off throttle and too low steering.

So, Front tires trued a little to get them better. Nice grip but still not the top.
Some packs with this set-up then switch to the 9 gear as this car can definitely take more speed.

And last change made for the last pack, two line trued in the front tires to get more front bite. The car is much more balanced and agile. I'm afraid that if I look for a "high grip" set-up the car will be too unstable. Here, the car is really easy to drive. I'm looking forward the next session. :)

Edit: And the session after...
I have swapped my RX-7 for the flying lizard 911 GT3... Couldnt resist this beautifull body crying for the race track on the shop shelf. :)
Original wheels and K30 radials front and K20 radials back. More steering, but need absolutely to tape the tires.
Lap time are lower and the body is really RCP friendly.

Side note on the Porsche body: The front lip is simply one of the most strong I have seen on the kyosho bodies. About an half centimeter wide and really smooth. Only trouble was the body sitting a little uneven from right to left. I had to remove and reglue the right clip 1mm lower to have the body right on the chassis.

Racer-HH
2011.02.07, 07:04 AM
My personal favorite is the Porsche GT1. Really tight cornering and pretty stable on the straight. I use it with a PN MM mount and 50T motor. Simply sweet, like cart driving compared to my Enzo.