PDA

View Full Version : Gauging interest: AWD LiFe battery for better balance/pefromance (less traction roll)

Atomic-USA
2010.11.26, 08:37 AM
Atomic did a test putting LiFe battery in the AWD (MA010) chassis. The results are much balanced handling and a lot less tendency to roll over on left turns. However, the lack of MA-010 popularity and stringent race rules may not be there to support production of this LiFe battery.

You may disagree but I think the MA010 tendency to roll over on left turns has killed this class. I'd like to know who here is willing to support this idea of LiFe for AWD, and would actually buy the LiFe batteries and make it allowable in races.

Sinister_Y
2010.11.26, 11:09 AM
I've run the R246 LiFe cells on AWD a few times and found that the car kept traction rolling. I'm also using the PN double a-arm system in front with an atomic SAS in rear. So, still trying to fine-tune that setup. No time these days to run all the cars.

In general, I plan on trying to promote a class using Li-Fe within our club racing.

bermbuster
2010.11.26, 11:12 AM
Atomic did a test putting LiFe battery in the AWD (MA010) chassis. The results are much balanced handling and a lot less tendency to roll over on left turns. However, the lack of MA-010 popularity and stringent race rules may not be there to support production of this LiFe battery.

You may disagree but I think the MA010 tendency to roll over on left turns has killed this class. I'd like to know who here is willing to support this idea of LiFe for AWD, and would actually buy the LiFe batteries and make it allowable in races.

How will the battery pack attach and be mounted?

Right now we have awds allowed to run w 2wds and this technology will change that for sure.

I have been using Atomic lithium batteries in my Dnanos and they work really good because of this I would be willing to try them in an awd......

EMU
2010.11.26, 11:31 AM
The LiFe cells fit in the standard battery compartment, and you wire a harness to the board or battery terminals that the board is wired to on the chassis.

I would definitely like to see them go this route, although I would like to the LiFe cells used in Parallel, not series if used for Mini-Z. This way there is a top end disadvantage to the AAA with the same motor. Similar to 1/12 where they only use one cell. For stock classes you wont see them used, but modified classes you can use very fast motors and would have great runtime. This would not be for AWD in particular, but all Mini-Z classes if LiFe is permitted.

arch2b
2010.11.26, 11:41 AM
the biggest obstacle will be getting them accepted within the major sponsor series'.

Cherub1m
2010.11.26, 02:21 PM

I am all for it.

Felix2010
2010.11.28, 02:08 AM
I am for a LiFE Class in the Atomic World Championship series, PNWC, etc.. Separate Class for LiFE equipped-only? (No AAA) - Or are we talking about giving the option to run LiFE cells in only the AWD (To give the AWD a "Equalizer", even though I don't think it needs one IMO.... But that's another story)? Oh and MR02's and MR03's (All RWD chassis) can only NiMH AAA's x 4?

Whichever way we do it, we'd need to make sure LiFE sets(of cells) are always available by Kyosho (Or have aftermarket co's start developing their own making their own "Matched" exact-spec-match-wise LiFE packs for the MR02/MR03/and AWD. There are many many NIMH AAA's cells for us to choose from now which is easy. I'm not sure an LiFE Modified or even stock class will ever come to be.... But LiFE MOdified sounds extremely intriguing....:)

Old Crow
2010.11.28, 08:33 AM
Sound interesting. I'd try it.

mini-z
2010.12.04, 02:15 PM
...I'd like to know who here is willing to support this idea of LiFe for AWD, and would actually buy the LiFe batteries and make it allowable in races.

I'm extremely interested in this - I have an AWD that I'd love to test these in, and we currently allow LiFe in our LM class which is great for weight reduction, I've been using the R246 Li-Fe cells since they came out so have a lot of experience with them. Please contact me about how we can assist with development of this product...! :)

hobbycar
2010.12.04, 09:46 PM
I love running my AWD and this would definitely make things even more interesting.

Like EMU said I'd like to see them be able to be wired in parallel for longer run times but lower voltage.

-hobbycar

Racer-HH
2010.12.05, 05:32 AM
the biggest obstacle will be getting them accepted within the major sponsor series'.

LiFe is now included in the Kyosho Cup Expert (Modified) Class in Germany. As far as I am informed this is based upon the Japanese Cup rules and regulations. So there are sponsored series allowing the use of it.
On the other side many drivers are complaining about this, as LiFe will give you a significant advantage against the AAA drivers (as long as runs are 10 mins or shorter, which is the case mostly). From what I have heard the general opinion is that LiFe should be a seperate class for now. This would avoid unneccessary discussions and get some hands-on insights and acceptance in the Mini-Z racing world for the future.

Atomic-USA
2010.12.05, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I experienced the frustration yesterday with AWD at a major event here in USA (hi-traction RCP). Car kept rolling over on sharp left turn and I had to add weight on left rear to keep it balanced; but the car became too heavy. Car was also shimmed in such a way that it sits lower on the left. I removed the weight ballast in the Main and car flipped again. During the 10 minute Main car dumped during the last 3 laps along with 2 other experienced AWD racers(I had 48T ATM Stock on 3010 board w/cool motor and 19/27 gearing). Also there were not enough participants in the AWD race which is alarming to the manufacturer when it comes to future sales and production of the LiFe battery.

mini-z
2010.12.16, 04:11 PM
S, that was w/ Li-Fe prototype or NiMH? :)

Atomic-USA
2010.12.16, 09:45 PM
That was with NiMh to conform to race rules.

Tjay
2010.12.17, 12:31 AM
Do it... im getting bored with my 03. ;)

trainboy414
2010.12.17, 06:09 AM
I would buy them if they came out and i really look forward to more awd upgrade parts. :)